Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ONE FRIED EGG  (Read 12207 times)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
Re: ONE FRIED EGG
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 07:10:27 AM »

We had some real excitement here last night.

Somebody broke into my next door neighbor's house. 

The family came home after being out for about a half hour, and found the back door open. 

The husband had his wife and son wait outside while he got his gun and searched the house. 

He found the perp hiding in the bedroom closet.  The guy deflected the gun, as the husband took a shot at him.

The perp ran out the back door and jumped the fence.

The only injury was the bedroom wall and a TV set.

There were helicopters and K-9 units all over the place last night, but the perp got away.
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2012, 07:21:46 AM »

I've worked for Dustin Hoffman on several occasions and I am crazy about him. I first waitedon him at the Drama Book Shop, and I latwr did several projects for his production company. He had a wonderful staff that I was quite fond of. My big job for him was research for his Shylock in Peter Hall's London and Broadway production of The Merchant of Venice, the production where I got to know Ben Browder.

In December 1983, I was unemployed and a friend who manged the long-gone Minskoff rehearsal studios asked me to manage the place for two weeks while she went home for Christmas. At the time I was orchestrating John McGlinn's first recording "Songs of New York" for Book-of-the-Month Club. So, every day, I opened the rehearsal studios, sat at my friend's desk, made bookings and cancellations and wrote music. Hoffman and the company of DEATH OF A SALESMAN were rehearsing there, and every morning Dustin would show up with Arthur Miller, the actress who played the secretary, and spend the day in the largest rehearsal space. Dustin supported himself through acting classes by playing piano for dance classes, and while he's very shy, he never spoke to me the first week I was there but he did ntice there was music paper all over my desk. Beginning the second week, every night when he left, he would walk by my desk and say "Good night, Mr Schubert" or "Good night, Mr Lizst," and i would yell after him, "Call me Franz" or "Call me Richard" if I were Mr Wagner that day.

The last day I was there, it was the birthday of the actress who played the secretary, and around 3 in the afternoon, Dustin sent a slice of birthday cake and a glass of champagne to my desk. He remains one of  my favorite celebrities. John Malkovitch was in that production. I feel the complete opposite about him.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2012, 07:26:13 AM »

Lovely Dustin Hoffman story, DR Elmore - thanks for sharing it!

Sorry about your trip to Baltimore...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2012, 07:36:58 AM »

My adopted son Joshie sould use some vibes today. He's daling with a cheap producer and a deadline, two battles he needs to win.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Victory Vibes for my aon Joshie! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vibes for Joshie, but, Elmore, isn't "cheap producer" redundant?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 07:39:03 AM »

The family came home after being out for about a half hour, and found the back door open. 

The husband had his wife and son wait outside while he got his gun and searched the house. 

He found the perp hiding in the bedroom closet.  The guy deflected the gun, as the husband took a shot at him.

There were helicopters and K-9 units all over the place last night, but the perp got away.
Scary story. Were you home at the time? Did you know what was happening?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 07:40:01 AM »

Great Dustin Hoffman story, Elmore. I would add the TV version of "Death of a Salesman" to my list of faves. I was only thinking of movies earlier.
― Voltaire

Doug R

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2012, 07:47:31 AM »

I think I've worked out the best time to visit my local coffee shop. That is to say, when the swarms of mothers and children aren't there. Before 10.00 and after 11.30 in the morning seem to be the best times.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2012, 07:49:58 AM »

My Uncle Charlie also said that Dustin (or Dusty ;) ) was one of the nicest guys he ever helped out in NYC.  (Charlie had a longstanding policy of not hassling artists in any genre about rent if they weren't gigging).  IIRC, Dustin was working as a cab driver when he got his first big part.  Was it Panic in Needle Park?  I can't remember the details, I just remember Charlie telling me about it.  On the commentary on the straight version of THE PRODUCERS, Mel Brooks talks about Dustin coming down and throwing pebbles at a window on W. 11th to tell him he had been signed for THE GRADUATE and couldn't do THE PRODUCERS.  That was one of my Uncles' buildings and in fact the building that I used to stay in when I visited NYC.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ben

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2012, 07:58:17 AM »

Dear Amy also has only wonderful things to say about Mr. Hoffman. He narrated Jews and Baseball.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2012, 08:02:39 AM »

Scary story DR DRUXY!!!

DR ELMORE - Mr Hoffman, I am sure, is a very nice person.  I am commenting merely on his movies.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2012, 08:03:35 AM »

This is the building on W. 11th, which was sold after Pat's death.  They actually owned almost all of that side of W. 11th at one point.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2012, 08:14:09 AM »

Scary story DR DRUXY!!!

DR ELMORE - Mr Hoffman, I am sure, is a very nice person.  I am commenting merely on his movies.

DR JRand61, i don't think Laurence Olivier was fond of him, so I'm not throwing any rocks, just telling what a mensch he can be. After the work for him on Merchant of Venice, he sent me a fantastic gift of engraved stationery.

And that leads to the day at Drama Book Shop when a customer on the phone ordered 30 copies of the play The Merchant of Venus. I wonder if DR MBrarnum ever worked as a school seretary?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2012, 08:18:53 AM »

I was home, but I was watching a very loud movie in my media room.  I wasn't aware of what was happening until I came out and saw the flashing lights outside through the window.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2012, 08:26:32 AM »

I have a soft spot for HARRY KELLERMAN (as awful as it undeniably is) only because of the "family" connection of Hoffman and Harris, both of whom were longtime tenants of my late Uncles.  I have recounted talking to "Dusty" one evening when I hadn't the faintest clew who was on the phone, and many years later after my second Uncle died, finding the locked safe full of signed photos of Ms. Harris, which was truly one of the oddest "discoveries" ever.

I haven't  seen HARRY KELLERMAN since it first came out, but I do remember liking it...sort of.

Perhaps, if I saw it again today, I would feel differently.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2012, 08:27:54 AM »

Scary story DR DRUXY!!!

DR JRand61, i don't think Laurence Olivier was fond of him, so I'm not throwing any rocks, just telling what a mensch he can be. After the work for him on Merchant of Venice, he sent me a fantastic gift of engraved stationery.

And that leads to the day at Drama Book Shop when a customer on the phone ordered 30 copies of the play The Merchant of Venus. I wonder if DR MBrarnum ever worked as a school seretary?

The Hoffman/Laurence Olivier story is classic.

:D

John G.

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2012, 08:33:10 AM »

Scary story DR DRUXY!!!

The Hoffman/Laurence Olivier story is classic.

:D

And very much an echo of "My Week with Marilyn." Olivier really couldn't stand method acting.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2012, 08:42:56 AM »

I was home, but I was watching a very loud movie in my media room.  I wasn't aware of what was happening until I came out and saw the flashing lights outside through the window.
Sad to say, but that kinda noise and the flashing lights outside could almost be business as usual on my street.
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2012, 08:50:25 AM »

TOD:

I feel the same as DR JRand. Have just never enjoyed any of the Dustin Hoffman movies that I've seen.

It is nice, however, to know that he is a nice person. Perhaps he will someday make a film I like.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2012, 09:43:16 AM »

Lovely Dustin Hoffman story, DR Elmore - thanks for sharing it!

Sorry about your trip to Baltimore...

I agree... fantastic story :)

Matthew

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2012, 09:49:16 AM »

First rehearsal for Annie last night.  Very strong orphan ensemble and a really strong adult ensemble.  I'm finding I don't like the "new" score (30th anniversary) as it deleted some fun things and added some stupid and uneeded things.  So, as usual, we're making it our own as the director and I are quite fond of the original material.  I wish I could get the original orchestrations, though.  That said, I wish I could afford the musicians for the original orchestration.  I am reducing it down to 10 players as it is. 

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2012, 09:50:31 AM »

All day long yesterday I was feeling blah.  Once I got home I began to develop a sore throat and later a fever and over night a dry cough.  So I stayed home this morning.  I didn't want to risk getting worse by going out in the solar storm.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2012, 09:52:31 AM »

DR Matthew, I know that they dropped "We Like To Thank You, Herbert Hoover".  What else is gone?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2012, 09:59:10 AM »

The Merchant of Venus.

I think this title has possibilities.

Along with Romero and Juliet, and of course......The Naming of the Shrew and A Midsummer Night's Scream.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2012, 09:59:53 AM »

DR Matthew, I know that they dropped "We Like To Thank You, Herbert Hoover".  What else is gone?

Oh no!!!  That's one of my favorite songs from the show!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2012, 09:59:59 AM »

TOD:

I like:
THE GRADUATE
LITTLE BIG MAN
MIDNIGHT COWBOY
KRAMER VS KRAMER
TOOTSIE

I don't like:
STRAW DOGS
JOHN AND MARY
HOOK
MR MAGORIUM'S EMPORIUM
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2012, 10:05:40 AM »

The Merchant of Venus.

I think this title has possibilities.

Along with Romero and Juliet, and of course......The Naming of the Shrew and A Midsummer Night's Scream.

How about
Much Hair-do About Nothing
All Swell That End Swell
Hamlet Vs MacBeth
-- Anaïs Nin

Matthew

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2012, 10:07:08 AM »

Hooverville is still in the score.  It's true that many people cut it, which is a shame.  Little music things, lines in the script etc, they are subtle, but a good Annie fan would know

John G.

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2012, 10:12:54 AM »

First rehearsal for Annie last night.  Very strong orphan ensemble and a really strong adult ensemble.  I'm finding I don't like the "new" score (30th anniversary) as it deleted some fun things and added some stupid and uneeded things.  So, as usual, we're making it our own as the director and I are quite fond of the original material.  I wish I could get the original orchestrations, though.  That said, I wish I could afford the musicians for the original orchestration.  I am reducing it down to 10 players as it is. 
Thank you. I agree with you completely. Hated the new songs for the movie and all the added songs through the years. It's like all the tinkering that folks did with "Little Me" through the years. They never improved upon the original.
― Voltaire

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2012, 10:14:11 AM »

ANNIE was a perfectly wonderful show during the first three or four years of its run.  It was equal part cynical and sweet and entertained kids as well as adults.  But it was initially aimed at adults.  At some point someone decided that the true audience for the show was little girls and that's how it's been tailored ever since. I applaude DR Matthew's efforts to return it to its roots.
-- Anaïs Nin

John G.

« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2012, 10:14:48 AM »

There are new songs at the end, right? Or is "New deal for Christmas" still there? I thought that one got dropped. Or maybe it was just the production I saw.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up