Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST  (Read 27796 times)

Kerry

Re: THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 07:14:47 AM »

TOD-- We can change ONLY ONE thing with the country?!?!?!?!!  :-\ ::) ???
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2009, 07:15:00 AM »

Page 2 dance!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2009, 07:15:49 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR WILLIAM E. LURIE!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2009, 07:16:22 AM »

And the word of the day is: LENITIVE!

Sorry, I gave up the word for the Day for Lent.
I like boat races.

FJL

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2009, 07:17:17 AM »

Happy birthday to William E Lurie

FJL

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2009, 07:22:56 AM »

Larry, Skip won't be able to take his mind off stuff long enough to see the movie today. 

He's feeling rather betwixt and between today, with the knee issue and having to keep too much water from going down the drain in the kitchen (and babysitting me in having to remind me not to over-use the kitchen sink lest problems ensue on this holiday weekend with extremely limited maintenance staff!!!). 

It's amazing how thrown I get simply by not having something that I normally take for granted.

FJL

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2009, 07:25:56 AM »

I guess we could put a big sign on the sink to remind me???

FJL

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2009, 07:27:35 AM »

He also wants to be here if and when the neighbors get home from their weekend, to explain why there may be some back-up in their plumbing form the work done on ours.

FJL

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2009, 07:28:31 AM »

That could have been one post, but I spread it out to make up for posts lost during mini-tax-season.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2009, 07:36:26 AM »

That could have been one post, but I spread it out to make up for posts lost during mini-tax-season.

Well....all righty then!

;D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2009, 08:04:54 AM »

Larry, Skip won't be able to take his mind off stuff long enough to see the movie today. 

He's feeling rather betwixt and between today, with the knee issue and having to keep too much water from going down the drain in the kitchen (and babysitting me in having to remind me not to over-use the kitchen sink lest problems ensue on this holiday weekend with extremely limited maintenance staff!!!). 

It's amazing how thrown I get simply by not having something that I normally take for granted.

DR FJL, thanks for the update. I feel the same way about my apartment because of all the clutter. Lord, do I hope George does the work tomorrow! I hope the sink problems are cleared up ASAP for you.

I have a GUIDING LIGHT favor: does anyone know what CBNS plans to do about the tennis schedule this week? Is GUIDING LIGHT off for the entire week? I'm taping it for DR Dakotacelt and I don't know what the hell is going on!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2009, 08:15:24 AM »

On the bright side, Larry, you may hit a milestone today

FJL

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2009, 08:16:11 AM »

Or has that been discussed on a day that i haven't caught up on yet?

Cillaliz

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2009, 08:20:24 AM »

TOD Comprehensive Immigration Reform. And if everyone in both parties would just grow a backbone - stand up for what they believe and learn to compromise on the things that don't matter to them as much. And quit the name calling from all sides of the aisle.  Obama is the President.  He should be able to address the school children

Cillaliz

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2009, 08:21:17 AM »

Now I'm off to rehearse a celebration of life service where I will be reading Desiderata.

Ginny

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2009, 08:28:06 AM »

Labor Day greetings!  We were awakened at 5am by a doozy of a thunderstorm, which kept me awake for over an hour.  I finally went back to sleep until almost 10am.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2009, 08:29:15 AM »

DR Cillaliz - my thoughts are with Steve's family and friends today.  I hope you find comfort in one another and fill the day with loving memories.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2009, 08:30:19 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And it's Labor Day.

Happy Labor Day! -Especially to those who continue to "labor" on this day.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2009, 08:31:37 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, WILLIAM E. LURIE!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2009, 08:32:32 AM »

New, Improved Signs of the Apocalypse Department:  RLP and I are in complete agreement.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2009, 08:32:49 AM »

TOD - I would declare Inauguration Day a nonpartisan national holiday and try to convince people that, regardless of party, the President is the President and should be respected.

JMK

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2009, 08:32:56 AM »

Evidently missed Toby's birthday yesterday--Happy Birthday, Toby!

And Happy Birthday, WEL!

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2009, 08:33:23 AM »

Happiest of birthdays to DR William E Lurie!

JMK

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2009, 08:34:29 AM »

I have been slogging through the backlog of reviews I was handed when I moved to Blu-ray.com.  Some of these, like the Jonathan Dove Pinnocchio, have been a lot of fun.  Others, like the Dario Fo directed La Gazzetta, have been more of a chore.  I did get Gojira on Blu-ray and did that one (weird that they only included the Japanese version for the BD release, especially when the picture quality is so horrible anyway), and have at least watched and taken screenshots of two Nat Geo docs.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 08:36:11 AM by JMK »

Ginny

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2009, 08:34:50 AM »

Today is also the birthday of our DS Rob - 24 years ago today really WAS labor day for me, but it wasn't on the holiday (it was the Saturday after).

JMK

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2009, 08:35:30 AM »

Kerry, you beat me to the lent joke, you bastard person.  ;)

JMK

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2009, 08:36:38 AM »

I am listening to Ivan Lins' lovely CD of Jobim music, something I think BK would enjoy very much.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2009, 08:40:36 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

In regards to President Obama's speech tomorrow: If some parents are so concerned that their children will be "brain-washed" and "indoctrinated" by listening to the President's speech, then, instead of granting their children a "sick day", they should go to school with their children and listen and watch the speech with their children.  And, then, hopefully, talk about the speech with their children afterwards.  Sadly, I believe some parents would end up covering the ears - and eyes - of their children during the speech.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2009, 08:43:49 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR GINNY'S DS ROB!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2009, 08:46:08 AM »

TOD:  I won't back away from this because I think I can keep it non-partisan (overall).   One of the news segments on this morning's local news had to do with the fact that "some" schools, nationwide, won't be carrying President Obama's address to school children.  The brouhaha over this has become a symptom of what I think is a breakdown in society -- irrational hysteria fueled by deliberate lies and misinformation. 

This is something that all political institutions perpetrate for the sole purposes of gaining power and destroying those who oppose them. 

On the morning news segment, a white woman was distraught and could barely speak so hysterical she was over the possibility of her precious child having to be exposed to "that".  Her husband stood stolidly beside her holding her steady with hands on both her shoulders.

It was the way she said "that" which aroused suspicions in my mind as to what it was she was really objecting to....was it the president, himself, or that he was going to be encouraging children everywhere to work hard and strive to get the best education possible?  It doesn't matter at all that the White House has assured everyone there will be no references to Obama's policies or that there will be no requests for children to be challenged to think of ways they can help him work toward attaining his goals for the country.   (I mean...how DARE he have goals that are for everyone??!!!)

I suspect some of this hysteria is fueled by media interest...media jumping  on some disgruntled comment and then fueling the consumptive fires it spawns for the sake of news ratings.

So...the change I'd seek is that the media return to honesty and turn away from yellow journalism which, truly, has become the norm.  I'd also appoint regional bitch-slappers to hunt some of these people down who turn on the emoting for the cameras and, likely, have a laugh about it afterward.

That's a good one, DR Ron Pulliam; I was appalled in last year's election by the amount bullshit, lies and slurs coming from the far right, which my brother sent me on email, over Obama's ethnicity, religion, etc.  What still amazes me the most is that there are fools in this country who buy that crap hook, line and sinker, without making any effort to verify the information. I include myself as one of the fools because I've been guilty in the past of sending out false information I've received from friends in my emails. I do like to hope that I am a more intelligent fool than those on the far right.

I admit that I am not a fan of the current Administration.

However, that is beside the point.

Doesn't this clip bother you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTQawLBC59g

How would you react if this same campaign had been launched by the Bush Administration?

Would you want to be a "servant" to George Bush?
You can dream…or you can do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up