Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES IN WALTZ TIME  (Read 19664 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: NOTES IN WALTZ TIME
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2009, 05:29:17 AM »

Good morning, all!  I have a long day today, beginning with the laundry, so I was up at 6:30. I need to run down to the corner pharmacy soon and pick up some more clothes hangers (No wire hangers!). After that, I've got a trip to Alex Rybeck's to hear how the charts I did for Liz in early July sound, then a trek to Toyland to do some work on OH BOY! for a while. This week, between Toyland, the McGlinnventory, tryng to get George to finish the bookcases, and the memorial to John on Friday have my week booked pretty solid.

Before Friday, I have to burn CDs of McGlinn performances for several people who are coming to the memorial to repay them for providing other performances of John's. The executor for John's estate has asked me for copies of all non-commercial discs I have as well. That task will last several weeks beyond the memorial but I have to begin the work.  I also have to dig through all the crap in front of my clothes closet - all waiting for George's repairs - and dig out my suit. I hope it fits!

Speaking of McGlinn's 9/18 memorial, William Hicks, who was John's assistant musical director, rehearsal accompanist, and secret asset, sent me this comment about the too-long phone call with last night's windbag:
I was with John for twenty years and never heard him once mention  this man's name; tell him that the people who are speaking all had  close working relationships with John!

DRs Julie and Jose, you both look wonderful in the photo! Thanks for posting it. After the shock of wondering who was the whale wearing my clothes, I thought, well, at least two of us look good! Even when I was thinner, I was never photogenic. I envy those who are.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2009, 05:31:50 AM »

I got home yesterday and found that my copy of what is supposed to be the definitve biography of Jacques Offenbach had arrived from France. Rusty as my French is these days, I am determined to plow through it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2009, 06:27:35 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And a copy of the Sunday Times was delivered with my tea and juice this morning... And since I don't start until Noon, that should give me plenty of time to read what I want to read. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2009, 06:35:16 AM »

Yes, indeed. Kudos to DR George who went above and beyond the call of duty to be a Good Samaritan to the woman with the lost cell phone. The world could do with more of this type of kindness and generosity.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Michael

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2009, 06:35:26 AM »

The first Great Waltz

Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2009, 06:37:30 AM »

Good morning!

More, more, more of the same kind of weather patterns: cool morning, very warm afternoons.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2009, 06:38:29 AM »

The first Great Waltz

I never saw the remake. It came and went so fast I'm not sure anyone saw it.

Michael

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2009, 06:38:49 AM »

The second not so great tried to be a a roadshow in fake Cinerama Great Waltz

Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2009, 06:39:31 AM »

Another day of complete and total freedom in viewing. I plan now to watch another CASTLE, some more NCIS, that episode of J.A.G. that I searched for and finally found late last night, and then in the evening, THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL on Blu-ray.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2009, 06:40:57 AM »

I always get such a thrill of anticipation when a classic film comes to Blu-ray. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL will look as good as my imagination is anticipating it will.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2009, 06:42:23 AM »

I was about an hour later going to bed last night than I have been for the last month, but I still managed a 7-hour night, so I shouldn't complain. I hope to get back into the earlier time frame, however, tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2009, 06:43:13 AM »

The second not so great tried to be a a roadshow in fake Cinerama Great Waltz

For some reason I'm not seeing the picture for this one.

Michael

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2009, 06:43:32 AM »

A Lester LA Light Opera Great Waltz

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2009, 06:47:33 AM »

PS
Even though the Lester Great Waltz was billed as a revival it used none of the songs from the original 1930 production and had a new libretto as well
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2009, 06:47:38 AM »

Great to see DR JULIE!

Wonderful stories and photos from everyone yesterday.

I hope DR DAW continues to feel better.

Oh and DR MBARNUM and Lowe's!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2009, 06:48:48 AM »

PPS
Mary Costa who was the female lead in the 2nd film version was the speaking and singing voice of Disney's Sleeping Beauty
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2009, 06:52:20 AM »

WOW

Luise Rainer who was in the first Great Waltz is still alive at the age of 99! and will turn 100 on Jan 12, 2010!!
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2009, 06:52:22 AM »

Thanks to all and sundry this Sunday for the vibes.  We did have a fine final performance - with a very good audience. 

Throughout the run of the play, I am always approached by CHILDREN after the show who want to talk to Jonathan.....they seem to be fascinated by the scar and by the character.  I chose to play him mean - although his actions are tempered with humor and he certainly gets his cumuppance in the end....taken away in handcuffs - ouch!  I always shake their hands and thank them for coming and tell them it's just a play.  I try to kneel down so I am on their level.  It's most fascinating to watch them and interact with them.  The brother and sister last night were "excited and scared" and it was fun to talk to them.  Some wanted their picture taken with me as well.

A fun show!  And although I will probably never get to play this part again - I am happy it has reached its conclusion.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2009, 06:54:04 AM »

I am always so interested to read about the lovely HHW'ers who are doing theatre in NYC.  Since I do toy theatre here in Indiana, it is exciting to read about the experiences of those who are doing it for REAL.

Keep the stories coming!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2009, 06:54:47 AM »

Hoarders!!  Now that's a show that can really turn your stomach. Especially those people that can't throw out the old, rotten, unrefrigerated food that has 3 years of stuff growing out of it.  It's too awful to watch!

Yep, those food ones are truly hard to stomach.  -Sorry for that unavoidable pun. If it was a pun.  Whatever...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2009, 06:55:21 AM »

Someone asked DR TCB yesterday how he was going to get to Florence.

I always used to do it by hiding her shoes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2009, 06:57:24 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........aren't previews supposed to be for fixing a show or re-writing?

I still don't understand why a revival like BYE BYE BIRDIE needs to have previews!  Although I guess it's a money and period of time to play the show without reviews.....I don't know.  And if it is to improve the performances.....didn't they know something wasn't working during rehearsals?

Strange....

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2009, 07:02:35 AM »

DR JRand - Remember: REAL Theatre started in Greece with the Greeks.  Everything after them has just been one big tour.  NYC and Putnam County included.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2009, 07:04:43 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........aren't previews supposed to be for fixing a show or re-writing?

I still don't understand why a revival like BYE BYE BIRDIE needs to have previews!  Although I guess it's a money and period of time to play the show without reviews.....I don't know.  And if it is to improve the performances.....didn't they know something wasn't working during rehearsals?

Strange....

Well, they have been "re-writing and fixing" the show during the rehearsal process already. For better or worse.  If it turns out "for worse", then, hopefully, they'll be able to make it better during the previews.

Or something like that.
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2009, 07:16:34 AM »

Strange....

Well, they have been "re-writing and fixing" the show during the rehearsal process already. For better or worse.  If it turns out "for worse", then, hopefully, they'll be able to make it better during the previews.

Or something like that.

I wonder what they are fixing. I saw the tour with Tommy Tune (20 years ago???) and they added the film title song at the begining of the show and two songs in act two. I Took A Giant Step and He's Mine (A duet for Rose and Mother Peterson) The TV version retained the title song, I Took A Giant STep. dropped He's Mine and added Let's Settle Down (solo for Rosie) and A Mother Doesn't Matter Anymore (solo for Mother Peterson).

I read that they are dropping The Shriner's Ballet for PC reasons. I think that is a load hooey. I would like to know the real reason
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2009, 07:16:54 AM »

PPS
Mary Costa who was the female lead in the 2nd film version was the speaking and singing voice of Disney's Sleeping Beauty

She was also Cunegonde in the 1957 tour and 1958 London production of CANDIDE. I met her in 1965 when she sang in the Miami University Artists Series. she signed my vocal score to CANDIDE. She sang several roles for the Met, including Rosalinda in FLEDERMAUS and Vanessa in Barber's opera, and San Francisco Opera. She was very beautiful but by 1977 she was having real vocal trouble.

Michael

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2009, 07:18:29 AM »

Here is Chita Rivera recreating The Shriner's Ballet with the American Dance Machine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZldWwNZMmc
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2009, 07:19:15 AM »

And speaking of "Sleeping Beauty"... The original book prop that was used for the opening of the movie was put on display at this weekend's D23 event.

Here is the article from last week's Times that talks about some of the recent archiving efforts in the Disney Vaults.

Blowing the Pixie Dust Off Disney’s Archives

*There are some great photos of some truly rare Disneyana accompanying the article.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2009, 07:20:38 AM »

I suspect, from friends that have seen it, they're hoping that preview audiences will allow Gershon and Stamos, who I hear are not funny and often not on pitch, to get used to an audience. A poster on one of the chat boards mentioned the synthesizer flutes. Wrong! Jonathan Tunick has 4 reeds all doubling flute so that he can have Red Ginzler's four flutes in "Put On A Happy Face."

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2009, 07:20:47 AM »

I am always so interested to read about the lovely HHW'ers who are doing theatre in NYC.  Since I do toy theatre here in Indiana, it is exciting to read about the experiences of those who are doing it for REAL.

Keep the stories coming!

Don't put you or your theater down. For those of us who truly care about what we do when we perform, the work and effort put into the performance are the same no matter where it's being staged.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up