Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: LIKE A KID IN A CANDY STORE  (Read 12424 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re: LIKE A KID IN A CANDY STORE
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2009, 08:08:13 AM »

...on the floor balanced on a foam pole that was unusual to say the least.

All done to a rousing rendition of "Hey, Big Spender"?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2009, 08:17:20 AM »

Hmmmm...MattH did not alert us to all the wondeful viewing available on Network TV this evening.

Maybe that's because there is none.

However, on the cable channels we have new episodes of:

MONK
PSYCH
EUREKA

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2009, 08:20:51 AM »

DR Dan(the Man), I'm glad you found the correct DVD of ELEKTRA. It's the one Strauss opera I don't have on DVD so I just ordered it.

My apartment now looks messy as opposed to its chaotic state of yesterday. I think it's time to begin the cleanup of myself and to contemplate the events of the afternoon. I also have things to bring to people at the memorial: several McGlinn friends who provided me with CDs of live concerts have asked for other concerts they didn't have, and John Vogel, the McGlinn estate executor, William Hicks, the secret behind John's success, and his brother and sister have asked for all of the concerts and BBC broadcasts. I've been burning up my iTunes with discs in the past week.

I'm also taking Evan, John's younger brother, his Gramophone Award for Excellence for the recording of ANYTHING GOES. His sister Lorin got John's similar award for SHOW BOAT. They're quite beautiful framed awards with the CD mounted on it. When John died 9n February, I believe it was DR Michael S who disliked the ANYTHING GOES recording; it still won a Gramophone Award for Excellence in Recording!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 08:49:05 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2009, 08:56:42 AM »

DR elmore, vibes for tonight's memoria!

Vibes for DR Laura's kitties!

Vibes for DC Callie!

Jane

« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2009, 08:58:03 AM »

Work vibes for DR Ben!!!

Vibes to all who need them!

Jane

« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2009, 08:58:51 AM »

Happy Rosh Hashanah to all who celebrate.

Back to our cousin.  We are having a nice visit.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2009, 09:00:15 AM »

Okay, off to meet a certain visitor here in Philly for lunch.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2009, 09:00:48 AM »

Shoes will drop next week.

I, like Laura, have failed my cholesterol test!!!

Laura

« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2009, 09:08:35 AM »

Aww, Ben. I'm sorry to hear that. The oatmeal didn't work this time?
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2009, 09:08:42 AM »

Happy Rosh Hashanah to all who celebrate.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

MBarnum

« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2009, 09:11:47 AM »

A very happy Rosh Hashanah!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2009, 09:12:32 AM »

I guess that was a might wide, but oh well.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2009, 09:22:43 AM »

Various things about "Big Brother" finale, "America's Got Talent" finale and "Project Runway"

SPOILAGE

Dir fjkfa f;lk ;lj f;lkajkrkljlkqj;lkj First, and most importantly, I am totally jazzed about Jordan winning "Big Brother".  She won by a vote of 5-2.  Kevin, of all people, voted for Natalie.  True to her, although he was going to stab her in the back and take Jordan to the final two had he managed to win the final HOH challenge.   Jordan and Jeff were my two favorite players this season.  When Jeff was evicted a couple of weeks ago, I think everyone assumed Jordan would just fall by the wayside.  Her winning two of the three contests for final HOH -- and the power to choose who stood beside her in the final two -- was a great testament to the strength and intelligence of this waitress from Matthews NC.  Jordan is young, a bit naive, and more than a bit "drifty" in the way she expresses herself.  But her actions speak loudest that she is smart and knows how to survive.  The other vote for Natalie came from Russell, who made stupid move after stupid move all season.

And it was great seeing Jeff -- to whom America accorded the coup d'etat power a month ago (and he used it VERY WELL, INDEED) -- win the America vote for a $25,000 prize as America's favorite player.  Jeff was the SOLE voice of reason in the house from start to finish.  His one mistake was believing the lie Natalie concocted for Kevin to deliver to him.  That lie led to a bad move and a betrayal that was Jeff's undoing.

On "America's Got Talent", I have to say I could only bring myself to watch one or two shows all season until this week.  I detest everything about David Hasselhoff, and he has a way of making everything about "himself."  I have been following the results of various weeks and was intrigued by this female opera singer, who survived cancer and the threat of never-being-able-to-sing-again-and yet-overcame-it, and the very odd survival of a true country guy singing soulful songs each week.  Barbara Padilla has a nice voice.  She may have done a great job a week ago with "Ave Maria" but her "O Mio Babbino Caro" was a bit on the left-me-wanting-Dame-Kiri-side.  The controlled sustained notes are NOT her strength at all and she was a bit wobbly.   On the other hand, Kevin Skinner was an enigma to me.  All season he has defied the odds by being advanced.  Both Piers and Sharon Osbourne referred to him as a "dark horse". His voice isn't anything like what we hear from Country singers nowadays.  It's more like what I was exposed to in the 1950s and 60s.  In that regard, it's purer and less "crossover-driven".  There is a sweet and touching naivete about Skinner when he's playing and singing.  His eyes are soulful, his voice is strong.  His backstory is the kind that America takes to its heart.  An out-of-work chicken catcher is how he describes himself.  He's a representative of a lost segment of American society -- the utterly poor who manage to survive against all odds.  And yes, they dream.  And in Skinner's case...that dream comes true.  I was very moved when he was named winner of "America's Got Talent"...and it appeared that all the other acts in the final 10 felt that way about him, too. 

And as the judges continued to say all during the final night, each of the acts has a bright future.  I did not think Padilla would, or should, win.  It would have been the second consecutive win by a singer whose focus is opera.  Last year's winner had a great story, but he was civic-opera-in-middle-America at best.  Padilla is still learning.  Can't see her in a Vegas act at all, though.

"Project Runway" out of Los Angeles for the first time isn't much different from the "Project Runway" out of NYC.  The designers are all bright, funny, bitchy and two-faced about each other.   Tim Gunn is Tim Gunn.  And Heidi is Heidi.  We've seen Michael Kors once.  Last night we had Tommy Hilfiger, though, and he was just fine.  In addition, the guest judge was Eva Longoria.   The right person left AGAIN...this time, the woeful reformed-drug-addict who let everyone know his crack habit kept him from being selected for the show each of the past three or four seasons.   I'm not quite sure how he qualified for the show, however, because his designs -- and the effort/imagination he put into them -- have been dreadful.  Last night's challenge was to use newspaper (along with magic marker colors and glue and tape) to create fashion of the designers' choice.

There were some very interesting fashions, but none were better IMO than Christopher's.  Christopher is the one designer in the competition who is self-taught without benefit of any school training in design.  What's interesting about him is that he absorbs much of what he sees and hears the other designers discussing/doing.  He's learning about techniques and what they are called.  He is also doing some AMAZING designing of his own.  Last night, the judges chose Irina who designed a "trenchcoat" that didn't look like a trenchcoat, but that did have a great deal of style and charm. Each week, I get the sense that Heidi is "spreading around" the wealth when it comes to naming winners.  The top two or three are always very good, but I don't think they always select the "best" for the winner, especially if the best was done by a previous winner.  This egalitarian approach is fine up to a point, but the herd is thinning and the judges will have to be a bit more judicious in the coming weeks about what they deem "best" (I keep remembering Michael Knight from a couple of seasons back....he won week after week, it seemed...at least four weeks in all...and in the finals, his runway collection seemed to have been designed for crack whores on the streets of Atlanta).   Oh, well....

SPOILAGE Potential ended....
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 09:28:01 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2009, 09:26:12 AM »

Up a little later than I should be, so no jog today, unless I do it in the afternoon.  I'll be able to do the long jog tomorrow, though, and Sunday.

DAW

« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2009, 09:27:47 AM »

A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR AND ~~~VIBES~~~ of all kinds to all DRs needing them!!

Julie

« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2009, 09:27:55 AM »

DR elmore - ~~~~~VIBES FOR A STRESS-FREE DAY AND A BEAUTIFUL MEMORIAL FOR JOHN MCGLINN~~~~~

Thank you, DR Jose! I could use a few vibes for a successful memorial for both my presentation as well as everyone else's!

Lots of stress free memorial vibes.   You worked very hard on this day.  I'm sure it will be a beautiful and moving tribute.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2009, 10:26:33 AM »

I shall now be on my way to do an errand and then to our vocal session.

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2009, 10:41:48 AM »

All sorts of vibes to all sorts of HHWers!

MBarnum

« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2009, 10:42:41 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam, you expressed my BB 11 views exactly!

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2009, 10:45:13 AM »

And the new SURVIVOR looks to be great fun...and I am so looking forward to THE AMAZING RACE next week!

On top of that it was wonderful to see a new episode of THE OFFICE...like JRand, I have not become attached to PARKS AND RECREATION....I think it just tries a little too hard.

Time will tell if I glom onto GLEE and MELROSE PLACE...If I feel I do not have enough time and too much TV to watch, then I will likely cut them off my schedule and save them for summer reruns.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2009, 10:58:42 AM »

And I am back from meeting a certain visitor to Philly for lunch.  I wish I had picked an eatery that was perhaps not quite as down home as the Down Home Diner, but it served its purpose as a getting-acquainted place.  It was really wonderful to have actually met this visitor in person.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2009, 11:52:20 AM »

I hope they don't do this to Ben-Hur. What can they offer in a gift box. A replica of tickets to the chariot race? A replica of the chains that Ben-Hur wore in the galley? Don't need it!!

A jar of leprosy?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2009, 11:53:04 AM »

Did a wonderful interview last night with actor Rad Fulton (aka James Westmoreland) who starred in a number of terrific films including NO MY DARLING DAUGHTER

Little known sequel to YES, MY DARLING DAUGHTER.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ben

« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2009, 12:00:11 PM »

Aww, Ben. I'm sorry to hear that. The oatmeal didn't work this time?

Well, I'm still eating oatmeal but I've slacked off here and there and with high cholesterol running in my family if I don't eat and exercise and maintain it can shoot up very easily. When I'm stressed I go for the cheeseburger and fries and cake with butter cream frosting and other delicious things. I wish the shoes would drop. That doesn't mean there won't still be stress, but at least we will know more about the stress-inducing events.

Kit Lo

« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2009, 12:00:52 PM »

TOD

Right now the computer's disc drive contains the original Broadway cast recording of "Company" - I'm copying my entire CD collection to the computer so each CD stays in the computer for around 15 minutes.

Kerry

« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2009, 12:13:18 PM »

I guess that was a might wide, but oh well.

Many of us are a might wide!
I like boat races.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2009, 12:32:24 PM »

I hope they don't do this to Ben-Hur. What can they offer in a gift box. A replica of tickets to the chariot race? A replica of the chains that Ben-Hur wore in the galley? Don't need it!!

A jar of leprosy?

Reproductions of:

Souvenir book
Lobby Cards
16 front-of-house stills
Original, classic, poster
Complete soundtrack of Miklos Rozsa's immortal score.

That's what collector's editions are all about.  No one has to buy it, of course.

Also...of course...I'm buying all of them.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 12:34:56 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2009, 01:01:57 PM »

It has remained overcast, but that rain still hasn't arrived (yet). Maybe tonight.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2009, 01:08:28 PM »

I watched PROJECT RUNWAY while I ate lunch.

I agree with DR ROn that I thought Christopher should have won. Ib fact, after winning the first week, he hasn't won again, but all of his designs have been gorgeous. I was surprised they went with the trench coat since they did have some quibbles about its length. It was different, but I thought CHristopher's was exactly what he said he wanted it to be: a showstopper.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2009, 01:09:48 PM »

And the right person did indeed go home. In years past, there have been a large number of talnted male designers. This year, the women on the whole are much more creative and expert. (But I'd love to see Christopher win the whole show.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up