Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: COUNTDOWN TO ROCKIN' NEW YEAR'S EVE  (Read 37299 times)

FJL

Re:COUNTDOWN TO ROCKIN' NEW YEAR'S EVE
« Reply #150 on: December 27, 2006, 12:08:49 PM »

And one for Marlboro

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: December 27, 2006, 12:11:52 PM »

I shall now be on my way to pick up a package and buy a cake, which I shall then take to the wake.

FJL

« Reply #152 on: December 27, 2006, 12:15:42 PM »

We got a gift of some delectable brownies, and in the very same box the brownies came in was a catalogue which included the price of such brownies.  I know companies send out catalogues later to gift recipients sometimes, but this struck me as a little tacky, putting the ctaalogue inside the gift box.

FJL

« Reply #153 on: December 27, 2006, 12:17:02 PM »

Speaking of "One for Mahler, " we're seeing COMPANY tonight.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #154 on: December 27, 2006, 12:26:22 PM »

An ask anyone who knows question:  Maybe BK's close personal friend Nick Redman can ask Shirley Jones this, but, in listening to their commentaries on Oklahoma! and Carousel, I started wondering why Shirley wasn't at least tested for South Pacific.  Everyone goes on and on about how it should have been Doris Day, but I wonder why Shirley wasn't considered.  I think she would have been perfect casting.  Does anyone know?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #155 on: December 27, 2006, 01:22:59 PM »

Had an interesting afternoon at the movies - in my den.

Actually, I began with TV: another CSI episode from the first disc in the set. This one also involved two cases (three deaths): one of a Brad Pitt-like movie star and another of two Laotian men, Interesting set-ups for the murders but not knock-your-socks-off shocking.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: December 27, 2006, 01:24:11 PM »

Back from the cake and the wake.  I'll go back later this afternoon, but at one there were only two people in the store - rather pathetic, and which just shows people's true "what have you done for me lately" colors.  I had a piece of the cake, as did everyone in the store.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: December 27, 2006, 01:24:43 PM »

I guess I will ship these five packages today and get it out of the way - then it really is no shipping until the second.

Matt H.

« Reply #158 on: December 27, 2006, 01:26:20 PM »

Next came A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE. I hadn't seen this at the movies or on DVD, so this HBO presentation was my first experience with it. Terrific!

I thought I had the movie pegged to be another DESPERATE HOURS/STRAW DOGS type of movie. Boy, was *I* off the beam! Wonderful suspense and surprises. And I LOVED Viggo's son in the confrontation in the hallway at school. I was CHEERING!

Matt H.

« Reply #159 on: December 27, 2006, 01:30:37 PM »

BTW, I greatly appreciated David Cronenberg not extending the movie past the breaking point. I have gotten so tired of these overlong for no good reason films lately, and this one was an hour and 36 minutes, perfect for the story it was telling.

Matt H.

« Reply #160 on: December 27, 2006, 01:37:33 PM »

I heard the mail arrive right near the end of A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE, and HOORAY! Three Blu-ray discs that I had ordered had arrived.

So, I put in the one I had been most looking forward to seeing: THE SEARCHERS.

Well, my socks were knocked off by the depth of picture, the sharpness, and vivid Technicolor of the Blu-ray high definition presentation of this classic.

I've been watching high def TV and movies off pay cable channels for several years now, but I kept reading from those with these HD players that high def DVDs were even sharper and more three dimensional than TV or cable broadcasts. I didn't see how it was possible, but now that I've seen a truly quality transfer on Blu-ray, I can see EXACTLY what folks have been raving about.

TALLADEGA NIGHTS was a little flat looking: sharp but not particularly looking like you were looking through a clear window onto reality. THE SEARCHERS took my breath away with its dimensionality, the depth of focus (helped, of course, since it was shot in Vistavision), and clarity.

What a terrific way to enjoy one of the great films of all time in the best possible way at home.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #161 on: December 27, 2006, 01:38:38 PM »

Or perhaps, like George, you were temporarily blinded by a certain photo posted last night.   ;D

:o DON'T REMIND ME!!

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #162 on: December 27, 2006, 01:57:18 PM »

I"m home. YEAH!!!  I had a good time at my parents' house, but it's so nice to be home with the girls.  Boo was waiting by the door when I came in and rather than run away, like she usually does, she sat there and waited for me to pet her.

Cillaliz

« Reply #163 on: December 27, 2006, 01:57:59 PM »

She hasn't left my side since I got home. Callie warms up slower, but when we started playing toys she came running. I missed them

Cillaliz

« Reply #164 on: December 27, 2006, 01:59:29 PM »

The weather is supposed to get lousy starting late tonight/early tomorrow, so I'll go to the office after it closes to pick up the work I need to do over the next few days and then I think I'm home for the duration. I may go to a movie or out for coffee, but I really just want to stay home and clean, put things away, do a little work, read and just putter around until it's time to go back to work on Tuesday

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #165 on: December 27, 2006, 01:59:53 PM »

You omitted the halt, the lame, and the maimed.

Who, like the Captain's cousins, number in the dozens...

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Cillaliz

« Reply #166 on: December 27, 2006, 02:03:00 PM »

My dad gave me about 15 of the records they made. Some are acetate and some are like this

Cillaliz

« Reply #167 on: December 27, 2006, 02:05:59 PM »

or this

Cillaliz

« Reply #168 on: December 27, 2006, 02:08:35 PM »

He wasn't interested in trying to preserve what is on these, so I'm going to try. Not sure if I should do it myself - I do have a program, cables and a little box thingy to connect my stereo to my computer, but I don't have 78 speed. I'll try it once at 45, as BK suggested, but I'm probably not going to get going until tomorrow or the next day. Today I'm relaxing

Cillaliz

« Reply #169 on: December 27, 2006, 02:09:21 PM »

Yesterday we went to a friends house for coffee and looking out her front window, this is what we saw

Cillaliz

« Reply #170 on: December 27, 2006, 02:10:16 PM »

I know they are Canada Geese. But my mother just looked out the window and said "Look, Canadians!"

George

« Reply #171 on: December 27, 2006, 02:11:05 PM »

DR George - I'm lovin' that Borders Rewards program.  Those weekly coupons sure do come in handy.  And then if you happen to be able to use different coupons at the same time for different items (one for a book, one for a CD, one for a DVD), and then couple that with a personal shopping day for an extra 10% off... That's some "Reward".  *That 40% off DVD Boxed Sets coupon last week came in handy for last-minute Christmas shopping.

I know!!  I should've signed up for this years ago! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #172 on: December 27, 2006, 02:12:01 PM »

Hartnett doing his thing?  The mind boggles.

I remember sometime within the last couple of years, Josh Hartnett was voted (by readers of People magazine ::)) as one of the 50 greatest actors??  I thought to myself WTF????

George

« Reply #173 on: December 27, 2006, 02:16:05 PM »

So...  Just a few catching up questions...  ;)

Did anyone else get the Special Edition of the Dreamgirls OCR?  The two disc version with a couple of previously unreleased tracks - including "It Ain't Over"(!!!) - and the karaoke tracks on the second disc along with a not-so-good dance mix of "And I Am Telling You...".

I only ask since I haven't seen that many copies in the stores, and it's no longer listed on Amazon - which is where I got it from.  I wonder if the release of the film soundtrack bumped it from the inventory.

The special edition OBC is still available on Amazon.com.  Click HERE for the link. :)

Ginny

« Reply #174 on: December 27, 2006, 02:24:18 PM »

Early this morning, I received a "heads-up" for a long-distance call sometime this afternoon.  I have stayed at my desk all day and have I received said call?

>:(

The person knows I am to leave here in 8 minutes.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #175 on: December 27, 2006, 02:26:56 PM »

As soon as I hit POST, my phone rang and it was said person.  She's considerate enough to say that she just wanted me to know she hadn't forgotten and we made an appointment for her to call me tomorrow at a specific time.

;D
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #176 on: December 27, 2006, 02:27:25 PM »

I must go get ready for my dinner/gift exchange. Fortunately, I cleaned the den this morning, so I don't have that chore hanging over my head.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #177 on: December 27, 2006, 02:28:58 PM »

So, I'm outta here for the evening.  When I get home, my mother, her sister, her son, and his girlfriend will be at our house for dinner, which they've ordered from Olive Garden.  All I had to do was set the table last night; I'll put cookies on a tray for our dessert.

Ginny

« Reply #178 on: December 27, 2006, 02:29:23 PM »

Bye for now.

Cillaliz

« Reply #179 on: December 27, 2006, 02:39:56 PM »

BK, what software do you recommend for the LP to CD thing. I'll need one that lets me do the 45-78 thing.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Up