Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WINDY  (Read 12431 times)

MBarnum

Re: WINDY
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2009, 09:05:58 AM »

In late summer of 1983 I moved out of my dad and step-mom's home in White City right into a second floor apartment between Main and Lithia in Ashland. Can't recall the exact street. It was within walking distance to my work at what was then the Mark Anthony Hotel

and a short drive to the Ashland Bi-Mart, where I also worked part time.

The apartment was a two bedroom, 1 bath with the ceiling radiated heat (really dumb idea). I can't find a photo of the place, but it was a dump built in the late 60s or 70s which hopefully have been torn down by now. It was in a nice old neighborhood, however, but the apartments were quite damp and not well insulated.

My roomy was a straight guy named Howard who was the night desk clerk at the Mark Anthony. Eventually one of his buddies was sharing the apartment with us and then later Boo Boo kitty, who just waltzed into the apartment one day and never left.

I was only in the apartment for a few months and in January or February of 1984 I packed my belongings and Boo Boo into my 1976 aquamarine colored AMC Matador and headed to Salem.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 09:19:21 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2009, 09:21:25 AM »

I chatted with my grand neice Taylor (age 7) last night about what her Halloween costume would be. She is dressing up as Cleopatra, who she has just learned about in school.

Here 4 year old brother Benny is going as Thomas the Train Engine.

Taylor suggested that Bosco should dress up for Halloween and go out and bring candy back for me.

DAW

« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2009, 09:26:01 AM »

Hence the "oaf" reference.

That's just offal!

Ginny

« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2009, 09:35:54 AM »

On our Monday afternoon trip to Strand Books with Anthony I purchased 5 books for my Dawn Powell project.  We headed right to Fed Ex/Kinko's, where I boxed them up and shipped them to myself.  They just arrived, less than 48 hours after we left them there.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2009, 10:48:59 AM »

Good news for fans of classic Universal films (like me!):

Turner Classic Movies & Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Team Up to Offer Made-to-Order DVDs of Rare Films

Digitally Remastered Titles Never Available Before on DVD to Include Extensive Features from TCM Archives
New Titles Available Each Quarter, Including Five Memorable Horror Titles,Three Early Cary Grant Vehicles and a Timeless Holiday ClassicTCM to Present Special Telecasts of the FilmsTurner Classic Movies (TCM) and Universal Studios Home Entertainment (USHE) have entered into an extensive new partnership to offer classic movie fans rare vintage films, all digitally remastered, on DVD on a made-to-order basis. The TCM Vault Collection Presented by Universal marks USHE's first foray into the manufactured-on-demand (MOD) arena. TCM began offering MOD featuring lost titles from the RKO library.

TCM and USHE are working to remaster a number of great titles never before available on DVD, with several never available on home video at all. The first titles made available include five chilling horror films, three early Cary Grant pictures and the unsung 1940 holiday classic Remember the Night, starring Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray and scripted by the great Preston Sturges. The films will be made available by request on DVD via TCM.com for the first time during the fourth quarter of 2009. TCM host Robert Osborne will provide introductions for selected titles, which will also include supplemental materials compiled by TCM and extensive material from the TCM archives. In addition, TCM will present exclusive premieres of the movies over the next six months.

"Many terrific films have been unavailable on home video for far too long, especially the holiday classic Remember the Night," Osborne said. "It's wonderful that today's movie fans will be able to enjoy these rare movies. TCM and Universal have worked hard to restore them digitally and provide historical context, bonus content and behind-the-scenes information, something DVD collectors are sure to appreicate. I'm proud to be part of this great project with TCM and Universal."

For Universal, the agreement is a great way to reach avid film fans. "Universal is very proud of its prestigious collection of Hollywood screen gems," said Craig Kornblau, president, Universal Studios Home Entertainment. "Like us, TCM is deeply dedicated to honoring Hollywood 's golden age. This collaboration presents the perfect opportunity to share Universal's rich cinematic legacy and celebrate vintage works with classic film fans."

The launch of TCM /Universal DVDs will be divided into three initial releases:
Universal Cult Horror Collection (films also available as singles )
DVD Availability: Oct. 31
TCM Premiere of Murders in the Zoo: Oct. 31
Suggested Retail Price: Collection - $49.99; Individual Titles - $19.99
This collection will include five rarely seen horror gems from the Universal vault, most appearing on home video for the first time. Special features include over a hundred photos, posters and lobby cards, trivia, articles and more.

Murders in the Zoo (1933) - Censors had a heyday with this horror film about a zoologist and sportsman who uses his zoo animals to kill his wife's lovers. Lionel Atwill plays the villain, with Kathleen Burke as his wife, a young Randolph Scott as the hero and the ever lovable Charles Ruggles providing comic relief as the zoo's press agent. Among the men playing Burke's doomed lovers is John Lodge, who later left acting to enter politics, becoming governor of Vermont .

Mad Doctor of Market Street (1942) - Lionel Atwill plays a mad scientist who places people into suspended animation and then revives them. When he is accused of murder following the death of one of his subjects, he flees on a ship, becomes stranded on a tropical island and soon becomes revered as a god by the natives. Una Merkel, Nat Pendleton and Claire Dodd co-star.

The Strange Case of Dr. RX (1942) - A mysterious killer bumps off acquitted murderers who have all been represented by the same laywer, played by Samuel S. Hinds. Lionel Atwill, Patric Knowles and Anne Gwynne co-star, with Shemp Howard (on hiatus from his work with The Three Stooges) providing comic relief.

The Mad Ghoul (1943) - This creepy tale follows a mad professor, played by George Zucco, who has discovered an ancient Egyptian gas that turns anyone who sniffs it into a heart-eating zombie. David Bruce plays the doctor's assistant who gets dosed with the gas and goes on a murderous rampage. Evelyn Ankers and Robert Armstrong co-star.

House of Horrors (1946) - The legendary Rondo Hatton, whose acromegaly deformed his face and made him a frequent Hollywood villain, marked one of his last roles with this offbeat film. Martin Kosleck plays a mad artist who, after saving Hatton and making a bust of his face, uses the disfigured hulk to murder art critics. Hatton died of a heart attack the year this film was released.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 10:50:46 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2009, 10:54:02 AM »

You can pre-order this set of Universal horrors from TCM: here is the link:

http://www.tcm.com/shopping/index/

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2009, 10:59:37 AM »

I am about to Skype with the L.A. producer.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2009, 11:15:34 AM »

I had a great lunch with George and we laughed a lot over gossip and dish about John McGlinn, the Signature Theatre, a trip to Africa, the tour of CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG, friends and what they are up to, and our places in the cosmos. George is soon off to play Captain von Trapp in Houston for the holiday and we promised to see each other in 2010 when he returns.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2009, 11:21:05 AM »

I am about to Skype with the L.A. producer.

We expect a FULL report on this Frances related call.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2009, 11:22:09 AM »

Interesting DVD news, DR MBARNUM....

Welcome back to DR ARNOLDMBROCKMAN

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2009, 11:24:57 AM »

BANANAS & SEX arrived at my home today.

I am also most pleased that with the absence of GLEE I will be able to watch that FAMILY show that looks very funny....at least in the promos.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »

I'm Back! I'm Back!. And it is certainly a Clear Day. And it is great to be back (relatively pain free )on this here site.
Thanks to all for the vibes and good wishes. They were truly appreciated.

Welcome back, ArnoldMBrockman!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DAW

« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2009, 11:31:04 AM »

BANANAS & SEX arrived

Well heaven knows, you can't have one without t' other!      :)

Ginny

« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2009, 11:51:02 AM »

Hi, DR Jose - how are you feeling today?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2009, 11:58:22 AM »

Hi, DR Jose - how are you feeling today?

Hi, DR Ginny - Good question.  I woke up feeling OK, but after about an hour I started feeling a little "off".  My throat is still a little itchy, but my ears feel fine today... Although, a few minutes ago, I could feel the barometric pressure drop - at least it felt that way in my head.  I don't feel sick, more like "not sure".

And you?

-Alas, the cold rain that's been falling all day here in NYC hasn't really helped matters either.  Some sunlight would be nice to see.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2009, 12:10:25 PM »

DR Jose - I still have a scratchy throat and my feet are still blistered, but otherwise I'm OK.  The weather map in our paper this morning made it look like yesterday's rain just sat down in NYC and stayed for a while.

It's sunny here in SW Ohio and I'm about to venture down to Trenton to pick up my engagement ring.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2009, 12:14:04 PM »

This evening's festivites:

Fall Flavors October Beer Dinner at The Pickled Pig Pub

Join our Culinary Institute of America graduates
Chef Michael Stiglitz and Chef Jen Blakeman
for an evening of food, beer and fun!

FIRST COURSE:
Lobster Pumpkin Bisque lemon verbena whipped cream
paired with Dogfish head Punkin' Ale

SECOND COURSE:
Humboldt Fog Harvest Salad micro greens, white balsamic vinegar, stone fruit-pecan compote
paired with Ommegang Hennepin Farmhouse Ale

THIRD COURSE:
Rockfish Roast "brandade" stew, burgundy and golden beets, tarragon, rosemary poached garlic
paired with  Evolution Primal Pale Ale

FOURTH COURSE:
Chargrilled Wild Boar Chops shallot confit, haricots vert, crispy sage, tawny port-veal glace'
paired with  Troegs Troegenator

FIFTH COURSE:
Hummingbird Cake layered spice cake, bananas, pineapples, pecans, coconut-cream cheese frosting
paired with Lindeman's Framboise Lambic

Will try for some pictures.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DAW

« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2009, 12:28:48 PM »

Pickled Pig Pub

Say that ten times fast!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2009, 12:37:41 PM »

I have SKYPED and lived to tell about it.  I will be SKYPING again with the L.A. producer, who is a very interesting, low key individual who seems genuinely interested in my FF research and its film potential.  So, we shall see.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2009, 12:48:43 PM »

Two more potential soundtrack releases came my way today - one will depend on elements and the other will depend on what sort of deal can be struck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2009, 12:56:51 PM »

TOD

Let’s see:

At age 18 I left home on Navy Active duty.
One year on a Destroyer followed by four years at the Naval Academy.
Graduated on Wednesday, Married on Friday, moved into first apartment in Norfolk Va on Monday.

So, when exactly was I “on my own”?

The closest “on my own” living came in 1975-76 when I started an 18 month stint of splitting my time between CA and RI.

The government really wanted Hughes to loan me to them for a project, but I really didn’t want to go; saying “no” was politically unwise so I said “Yes, If…” and laid out a string of outrageous requirements: fully furnished housing and leased car plus expenses in Rhode Island, full per diem for the duration, fully paid trips back to CA once a month, paid gardener to care for my CA home. Etc – which the Government accepted! OOPS.

I ended up living on the beach in a small A-Frame chalet on a spit of land jutting into Hog Bay (a branch of the Narragansett Bay). The owners who were leaving to go cruising on their boat left their dog behind to cope for himself (he had been a stray); the neighborhood bullies had picked on him and shot out one eye with a BB gun. Tramp, a Golden mix, adopted me at once – it took him 30 seconds to learn to be an “inside” dog when I was around. When I went back to CA for my 1-2 week trips, I left a huge tub of dog chow in an alcove under one of the overhangs – the bay made for a regular source of water. I think Tramp could hear the car coming up the long road, because whenever I arrived back home from a trip, he would come bounding out of the bush and run up the stairs to the porch and wait for me.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2009, 12:58:49 PM »

I have SKYPED and lived to tell about it. 

I hope you washed your hands when you were finished.

der Brucer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2009, 01:00:18 PM »

I'm Back! I'm Back!. And it is certainly a Clear Day. And it is great to be back (relatively pain free )on this here site.
Thanks to all for the vibes and good wishes. They were truly appreciated.

It is so nice to have you back & relatively pain free!!! :D  I gather the operation was a success-yes?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2009, 01:02:31 PM »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2009, 01:08:58 PM »

GLEE is not on tonight due to the World Series.

CBS' CRIMINAL MINDS and CSI: NY are reruns tonight. (Sweeps start tomorrow, so you won't be seeing reruns for most shows for the next three-four weeks).

ABC's comedy block (which includes the sensational MODERN FAMILY) are new episodes tonight!

I know AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL is on tonight.  Is LAW & ORDER SVU on? Is it usually on on saturdays? I don't watch it but noticed it in my tv guide.

Yes, LAW & ORDER SVU is on tonight, and I believe it's a new episode. It has moved to Wednesdays this year from its Tuesday night at 10 slot where it had been about a half dozen years. The Saturday night broadcasts are reruns.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2009, 01:13:25 PM »

I watched a PERRY MASON episode, and this must have been one of the very few MASON episodes that NEVER entered a courtroom. Perry was actually behaving more like a P.I. than a lawyer in this episode, not a very satisfying one even though it did have a mystery. It was just SO different not having an trial element at all.

Matt H.

« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2009, 01:16:32 PM »

By the time I finished lunch, the mail had come, and the Hitchcock four-movie set had arrived, so I began on the first one - SUSPICION. For my money, it's the weakest of the four movies in this set, and watching it again didn't change my mind. Of, it has its moments, the acting is excellent (Nigel Bruce is especially wonderful. Fontaine's Oscar HAD to have been a consolation prize for not winning for REBECCA the year before; this performance isn't its match), and there's a certain amount of suspense about Cary Grant's true motives (which really don't ring true since they changed it from the novel.)

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2009, 01:18:59 PM »

The disc had two bonuses: a making-of documentary and the trailer (in really tragic condition).

Peter Bogdanovich was one of the talking heads in the featurette, and he does his LOUSY impressions of Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock. Why does he always try to mimic the famous people he's interviewed when he gets in front of a camera? It's VERY irritating.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2009, 01:21:25 PM »

The next movie in the set is STRANGERS ON A TRAIN. These are flipper discs, so it was on the other side from SUSPICION. I'll be curious to see if there are any problems with the disc since it's on a flipper. SOme of them work flawlessly, but sometimes the encoding isn't good, and the image stutters or freezes. Should make for an interesting evening of viewing.

Unlike the STRANGERS disc I have which has the American and British versions, this one seems to offer only one version, I guess the American. I'll see tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2009, 01:22:48 PM »

I had time to skim through ONE LIFE TO LIVE. Tuc Watkins did his entire part today dressed only in a towel. Suffice to say it was VERY memorable, and the man is in GREAT shape!

Kyle and Nick were both on. Kyle is having some serious wedding anxiety.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up