Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE COLLECTOR  (Read 26259 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: THE COLLECTOR
« Reply #210 on: March 30, 2009, 07:14:29 PM »

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #211 on: March 30, 2009, 07:16:17 PM »

PAGE EIGHT GOODNIGHT DANCE!!!!

Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #212 on: March 30, 2009, 07:20:14 PM »

DR Jose - exciting travel plans!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #213 on: March 30, 2009, 07:21:54 PM »

Who is this strange vacuum cleaner salesman with the really sssssssibilant ssssss talking about hisssssss dessssignssssss on the commercials during MEDIUM? Issssss it bad denturesssssss?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #214 on: March 30, 2009, 07:30:57 PM »

So...

I treated myself to a dinner a FIG.  In short, it truly was one of the best meals, and one of the best restaurant experiences I've ever had.  I just took a seat at the bar, and started taking the recommendations of my bartender, Sam (short for Samantha).  There were a couple of other solo diners sitting at the bar too: a local jazz musician who seemed to know almost everyone who walked through the door, a businessman/farmer up from Savannah for the day, a chef from an Italian restaurant enjoying a meal on his night off, a wine buyer, a local executive.  I didn't chat with all of them, but it was fun checking out what each of us ordered.  And Sam took care of all of us.

I arrived a little after 6:00, and by 7:00 the place was filling up nicely - and on a Monday night too!  There appeared to be lots of regulars.  "Cacky", the manager, greeted many of them by name and with a hug. On my way out, I mentioned to her that I was down from NYC for a couple of weeks, and had been tipped of to the place by a couple of people. She asked what my name was and what brought me down to Charleston.  When I told her that I was working with Charleston Stage, she said that Monday is the perfect night to dine at the bar.  Lots of musicians and artists come in, and she'd be more than happy to introduce me to my fellow diners on my next visit.  -Which will most likely be next Monday. Although, I'm tempted to head back there on Thursday since the menu will be changing over this weekend, and I really do have to have their almost-ethereal ricotta gnocchi topped with a spicy lamb bolognese and pecorino at least one more time.

YUMMERS!

*I would post pics, but I didn't take any.  It just didn't feel right.  And I also didn't want my food to get cold while I staged my shots. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #215 on: March 30, 2009, 07:34:16 PM »

DR Jose - exciting travel plans!

YES!  I'm glad it all worked out.  My parents had offered to pay for a trip to the Philippines later on if I wanted to go by myself, but I really do want to make the trip with them.  The timing really works out well too.  I'll have a little over a week back home in NYC before I fly to Manila, and then I'll only be there for nine days - instead of the originally planned three weeks.  Yes, a longer visit would be nice, but that just seems a bit daunting to me right now, especially right after my stint down here in Charleston.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #216 on: March 30, 2009, 07:34:58 PM »

June 16 is my mom's birthday.

Just had to share. :)

June 16 is my dad's birthday  :)

Cillaliz

« Reply #217 on: March 30, 2009, 07:37:35 PM »

Jose, I'm so glad that you get to make the trip!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #218 on: March 30, 2009, 07:39:47 PM »

Wow!  DRJOSE has a paycheck, a plane ticket, a restaurant full of new friends, AND a mysterious relationship.

2009 should be so great for ALL Virgo-ans!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #219 on: March 30, 2009, 07:42:23 PM »

June 16 is my mom's birthday.

Just had to share. :)

June 16 is my dad's birthday  :)

And my cousin Dan's.  And that of several people at our Cincinnati church, including the little girl who sat with me during yesterday's service.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #220 on: March 30, 2009, 07:42:42 PM »

Watching more Hammer Noir.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #221 on: March 30, 2009, 07:43:59 PM »

Oh, just in case anyone is interested:

-Windy Knoll Spicy Lamb Bolognese, Ricotta Gnocchi, Pecorino
-Pan Roasted Grouper, Caramelized Fennel, Braised Cranberry Beans, Arugula, Ham Jus
Paired with a glass of Verdejo Rueda
-Banana Tarte-Tatin, Maple Ice Cream

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #222 on: March 30, 2009, 07:45:52 PM »

And Sam even offered me a nice sample of the new Barbera d'Alba they just started serving.  -Too bad they're not open for lunch. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #223 on: March 30, 2009, 07:52:07 PM »

Once again, back to the Topic of the Day...

I also went thought a Boyd's Bear phase.  I had "innocently" bought a few off of QVC.  Then I noticed that my favorite home decor store in Richmond started carrying Boyd's. Then when I was on the road, I would inevitably come across a sale table of Boyd's Bears in some random store in some random neighborhood.  There was one store in Evansville, IN, that happened to be going out of business.  I managed to buy about $400 worth of bears for about $60 - and there were some limited editions in the bunch too!  I think I ended up with about 80 of them - various shapes, colors, animals.  Two years ago, I selected about 20 of the ones I really wanted to keep, and dropped the rest off at a consignment store that one of Steve's sisters owns.  I think I just received that last check for the lot a few weeks ago - they just trickled in every few months.  All in all, I made back about $300.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #224 on: March 30, 2009, 07:54:35 PM »

After turning down two opportunities to be the executor for John McGlinn, I've ended up being a co-executor with John Vogel of Pennsylvania. Poor John! The news would kill him if he weren't already dead.

What? So... You're a co-executor with a dead man?  Or was the second "John" in reference to McGlinn?
Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #225 on: March 30, 2009, 07:55:40 PM »

Laura DR, you DO make me laugh!!!  :D    In a good way.    :)

DAW

« Reply #226 on: March 30, 2009, 07:56:18 PM »

DAW

« Reply #227 on: March 30, 2009, 07:57:28 PM »

DR elmore3003:     Congratulations??          :-\

DAW

« Reply #228 on: March 30, 2009, 07:58:53 PM »

The Chanticleer program turned out to have a "music of the Americas through the centuries" kind of a theme, including an absolutely stunning number from Eric Whitacre's new opera.  I go to hear them whenever I can - two hours of pure choral bliss.  :)

Kerry

« Reply #229 on: March 30, 2009, 08:08:47 PM »

I was going to say something, but God only knows what it was.  Oh well.......  :-\
I like boat races.

Laura

« Reply #230 on: March 30, 2009, 08:09:26 PM »

No! No white ducks!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #231 on: March 30, 2009, 08:14:57 PM »

After turning down two opportunities to be the executor for John McGlinn, I've ended up being a co-executor with John Vogel of Pennsylvania. Poor John! The news would kill him if he weren't already dead.

What? So... You're a co-executor with a dead man?  Or was the second "John" in reference to McGlinn?

I see there are two different Johns in the sentence, but if you can't figure that one, too bad. I'm off to bed. It's exhausting being an exector,
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #232 on: March 30, 2009, 08:16:04 PM »

DR elmore3003:     Congratulations??          :-\

I run on guilt.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #233 on: March 30, 2009, 08:26:24 PM »

Got my WARNER ARCHIVE titles today.  What a cheap-a** job they did on these.  First of all, on the packaging for TOAST OF NEW YORK, they have an abysmal, low res scan of Edward Arnold and Frances.   I could have provided them with all sorts of decent photos.  :)  The print looks pretty similar to the VHS, though I'll have to do a side by side comparison, but it's awfully soft and has a lot of damage.  No title menu, nada.  Haven't looked at BEGGAR'S OPERA yet, but I expect the same.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #234 on: March 30, 2009, 08:46:53 PM »

The Train Station Is Alive With The Sound Of Music

:)

*Be sure to keep watching for the remix section!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #235 on: March 30, 2009, 08:51:31 PM »

Ooohh...  Seth Rogen is on "Letterman" tonight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #236 on: March 30, 2009, 08:53:16 PM »

I spent a good portion of the evening watching the rest of the bonus features on AN AMERICAN IN PARIS. I had never seen that ANATOMY OF A DANCER special from AMERICAN MASTERS, so that was quite wonderful and just makes me hope that INVITATION TO THE DANCE will be included either in the Warner Archive program or in a Warner Bros. release with other lesser known Gene Kelly offerings.

The "making of" feature had the priceless Dr. Drew Casper adding his own brand of luster to the occasion.

I also laughed a lot at the Tex Avery cartoon on slang that was included.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #237 on: March 30, 2009, 08:55:42 PM »

Got my WARNER ARCHIVE titles today.  What a cheap-a** job they did on these.  First of all, on the packaging for TOAST OF NEW YORK, they have an abysmal, low res scan of Edward Arnold and Frances.   I could have provided them with all sorts of decent photos.  :)  The print looks pretty similar to the VHS, though I'll have to do a side by side comparison, but it's awfully soft and has a lot of damage.  No title menu, nada.  Haven't looked at BEGGAR'S OPERA yet, but I expect the same.

I was quite pleased with THIS WOMAN IS DANGEROUS, so I'm thinking the quality will vary wildly on a disc-by-disc basis.

Matt H.

« Reply #238 on: March 30, 2009, 08:56:39 PM »

Next, I skimmed through today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. Nothing of interest, but the boys are on tomorrow as featured in the previews.

Matt H.

« Reply #239 on: March 30, 2009, 08:57:42 PM »

Then I watched tonight's CHUCK episode. Pretty predictable, I thought, though certainly entertaining enough. Like we really thought one of the series regulars was going to be fired.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up