Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31   Go Down

Author Topic: GOING AND DOING  (Read 74430 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:GOING AND DOING
« Reply #390 on: March 28, 2007, 01:07:33 PM »

The person to whom you refer is a registered member of this board (sometime in 2004) but he never posts. If I recall correctly, a long time ago well before you joined and before the board switched over to the current format he did have a post or two (or more). He is much more vocal at rec.arts.theatre.musicals and, as you know, he has been know to make a post or two at castrecl  ;)

I know of whom you speak.  Mr. The-ah-tah, himself.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #391 on: March 28, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »

Back from an abbreviated yogurt break - my friend had to pick up her kids from school earlier than usual.  She learned a lot at bookselling camp.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #392 on: March 28, 2007, 01:10:34 PM »

Just thought I'd check back in and say hello again.

Not that I am going to tax anyone, but if any of you actors out there have any favorite monologues that are worth looking into, lemme know...
The Santaland Diaries!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #393 on: March 28, 2007, 01:12:23 PM »

The person to whom you refer is a registered member of this board (sometime in 2004) but he never posts. If I recall correctly, a long time ago well before you joined and before the board switched over to the current format he did have a post or two (or more). He is much more vocal at rec.arts.theatre.musicals and, as you know, he has been know to make a post or two at castrecl  ;)

After the vicious and superior/condescending comments he makes on the rec.arts.etc, I wonder if that pompous jerk has any friends!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 01:14:15 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #394 on: March 28, 2007, 01:12:38 PM »

Page 14 Dance:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #395 on: March 28, 2007, 01:13:04 PM »

;D  That'd be a first.

When I'm bad I'm better.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #396 on: March 28, 2007, 01:13:30 PM »

After the vicious and superior comments he makes on the4 rec.arts.etc, I wonder if that pompous jerk has any friends!

He has Stevie Newport, for one.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #397 on: March 28, 2007, 01:14:50 PM »

Ben

« Reply #398 on: March 28, 2007, 01:16:32 PM »

Another poster at rec.arts.theatre.musicals

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #399 on: March 28, 2007, 01:16:51 PM »

Every time I look at today's subject, I think "Going and Doe-ing"

And every time I see DR AnimalMagnetism's name, I think I see "Ann-Margaret".

-- Anaïs Nin

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #400 on: March 28, 2007, 01:17:19 PM »

The Santaland Diaries!

Shazam -- I think I figured out a fun way to do that one...
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

Jennifer

« Reply #401 on: March 28, 2007, 01:26:46 PM »

RE: IDOL tonight. Not sure who i think will be in the bottom 2. I sort of hope it is sanjaya and haley.  Since sanjaya was already in the bottom 2 once he cannot be that popular, right?

I'm not sure how many fans gina and chris s have. I thought chris r had a lot. But who knows. I really hope blake is safe.  I'm sure melinda and lakishsa will be fine.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #402 on: March 28, 2007, 01:28:53 PM »

DR Cason, you might want to check to see if there's anything substantial for Mozart in AMADEUS.  I can picture you in that role.
-- Anaïs Nin

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #403 on: March 28, 2007, 01:31:31 PM »

OK, since none of you asked:

Sacco and Vanzetti

Directed by Peter Miller
First Run Features
Opens March 30, Quad Cinema

Two lambs to the slaughter, the Italian immigrants Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti were executed in 1927 for a crime that they almost certainly did not commit, put to death by the state of Massachusetts alongside the man who actually confessed to murdering a shoe factory manager and armed guard in the course
of a 1920 payroll heist.

Not that anyone is ever altogether innocent: As foreigners and draft-dodgers and followers of the militant anarchist (and advocate of terror) Luigi Galleani, Sacco and Vanzetti were ready-made for sacrifice on the altar of America’s post-World War I red scare—blamed for a rash of Boston-area robberies, which Peter Miller’s new documentary pins on a Portuguese gang out of Providence.  Their lawyer tried to put capitalism on trial as, in its way, the state did as well: The cops probably faked evidence; the judge discounted testimony, including a jailhouse confession. Boston Brahmins waged a civil war while American Communists jumped into the case to crate an international cause célèbre that obsessed and inspired artists as disparate as John Dos Passos, Woody Guthrie, Ben Shahn, and now Miller, who endeared himself
to old and neo-old leftists everywhere with his suitably stirring documentary on the history of the Internationale.

Only 81 minutes long, Sacco and Vanzetti is packed with information. Miller mixes archival footage and dramatized readings (Tony Shalhoub as Sacco, John Turturro as Vanzetti) with scenes from a 1971 Italian movie and a wide array of talking heads.  Amazingly these include Sacco’s niece, a Vanzetti neighbor, and
the daughter of one of the men killed in the robbery.  Front and center is people’s historian Howard Zinn who notes that, “I talk about Sacco and Vanzetti all the time.” It scarcely needs to be said how much this case has to do with contempt for foreigners, legal injustice, and xenophobic terror.  J. HOBERMAN
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #404 on: March 28, 2007, 01:32:37 PM »

DR Cason, you might want to check to see if there's anything substantial for Mozart in AMADEUS.  I can picture you in that role.

Gracias -- I have that play sitting around here somewhere...
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #405 on: March 28, 2007, 01:39:26 PM »

Time to get ready for work.

I think I'll pluck some chicken breasts from the freezer.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #406 on: March 28, 2007, 01:39:53 PM »

Oh, DR Edi, I thought you were kidding - copyright or something!  It's a great review, especially coming from someone you seem to respect.  Sure wish I could be in NY this week for the show and the festivities!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #407 on: March 28, 2007, 01:46:02 PM »

MY DH's plans for today did include me. We went hiking.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #408 on: March 28, 2007, 01:49:23 PM »

Heh heh heh -- now I'm on a roll!  I figured out a great way to adapt some of these monologues for a reel.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #409 on: March 28, 2007, 01:52:23 PM »

DR Ben, et al:

Tickets are now on sale:
http://movies.aol.com/theater/quad-cinema/636/showtimes?date=20070330

Showtimes are 7:00PM and 9:10.

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ben

« Reply #410 on: March 28, 2007, 01:56:29 PM »

and it looks like 7:00pm is sold out or not available at moviefone. I'll try the box office again. I know you said the 7pm is being attended by people from the NYCLU. The show may be sold out!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #411 on: March 28, 2007, 01:56:40 PM »

DR EDISAURUS I was just about to ask and vwah-lah!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

singdaw

« Reply #412 on: March 28, 2007, 01:56:48 PM »

If only Singdaw could join us....

Believe me, I'm most disappointed!   :'(

Congrats on the positive write up on your film!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #413 on: March 28, 2007, 01:57:23 PM »

I like that review....makes the reader want to see the movie!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #414 on: March 28, 2007, 01:58:45 PM »

Sada Thompson grows on me....the more I watched FAMILY, the more I liked her....and she seems the anchor this particular production of SKIN.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #415 on: March 28, 2007, 01:59:06 PM »

Warm weather today, cloudy, but NO rain.

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #416 on: March 28, 2007, 01:59:35 PM »

Sacco and Vanzetti

Directed by Peter Miller
First Run Features
Opens March 30, Quad Cinema

Two lambs to the slaughter, the Italian immigrants Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti were executed in 1927 for a crime that they almost certainly did not commit, put to death by the state of Massachusetts alongside the man who actually confessed to murdering a shoe factory manager and armed guard in the course
of a 1920 payroll heist.

Not that anyone is ever altogether innocent: As foreigners and draft-dodgers and followers of the militant anarchist (and advocate of terror) Luigi Galleani, Sacco and Vanzetti were ready-made for sacrifice on the altar of America’s post-World War I red scare—blamed for a rash of Boston-area robberies, which Peter Miller’s new documentary pins on a Portuguese gang out of Providence.  Their lawyer tried to put capitalism on trial as, in its way, the state did as well: The cops probably faked evidence; the judge discounted testimony, including a jailhouse confession. Boston Brahmins waged a civil war while American Communists jumped into the case to crate an international cause célèbre that obsessed and inspired artists as disparate as John Dos Passos, Woody Guthrie, Ben Shahn, and now Miller, who endeared himself
to old and neo-old leftists everywhere with his suitably stirring documentary on the history of the Internationale.

Only 81 minutes long, Sacco and Vanzetti is packed with information. Miller mixes archival footage and dramatized readings (Tony Shalhoub as Sacco, John Turturro as Vanzetti) with scenes from a 1971 Italian movie and a wide array of talking heads.  Amazingly these include Sacco’s niece, a Vanzetti neighbor, and
the daughter of one of the men killed in the robbery.  Front and center is people’s historian Howard Zinn who notes that, “I talk about Sacco and Vanzetti all the time.” It scarcely needs to be said how much this case has to do with contempt for foreigners, legal injustice, and xenophobic terror.  J. HOBERMAN

Yay!  How exciting!  I bet Peter is particularly pleased!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #417 on: March 28, 2007, 02:06:02 PM »

He has Stevie Newport, for one.

Birds of a FEATHER!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

FJL

« Reply #418 on: March 28, 2007, 02:07:06 PM »

Congrats, Edi.  Lovely review.  Can't do the very late show on Friday, so I just bought for the 5:00 show, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that work won't prevent me from going - but I'm assuming buying helps the box office tally even if the person doesn't end up going, right?  :)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #419 on: March 28, 2007, 02:08:10 PM »

Great article, Edisaurus.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31   Go Up