Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: REVITALIZING THE PROSE  (Read 22883 times)

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
Re:REVITALIZING THE PROSE
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2004, 12:08:09 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHARLES!!!!

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, NOEL!!!

I'm here BK!  I've been kind of going through a weird phase in my life, is all...

There are SO many singers I love that have sung on BK's albums...let's divide them up into male and female:

Favorite Male Singers: Brent Barrett, Jason Graae, Harry Groener, Malcolm Gets

Favorite Female Singers: Sally Mayes, Debbie Gravitte, Judy Kaye, Kristin Chenoweth, Alice Ripley, Emily Skinner, Christiane Noll

Like BK, my first cast album was Gypsy.  I don't believe that you can hear Gypsy and not immediately become obsessed with Broadway musicals.  Anyway, that's what happened to me, and almost 10 years later, here I am!

Jay--Thanks for the review!  I'm a big Coleman fan and I did see The Life...I really don't remember it all that vividly, as I was about 15 or so when I saw it, but I do recall having liked it.

Laura II and Jed--you guys would make a cute couple!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #121 on: January 18, 2004, 12:13:47 PM »

Since this is Sunday Free-for-All Day, topic-wise, I fell I can put my two-cents in about Noel's Baby comments (My! What a lot of hypens!).

At the risk of losing my Gay Membership Card AND my complimentary toaster oven, I am a little stunned by my gay brothers' reactions.  DR Noel, was after all expressing his opinion (the point of this here page) on some of the reasons he felt were responsible for the semi-failure of a show that opened over twenty years ago (1983), and not about a show that might be opening today.

First of all, Noel suggested that, back in 1983, that your average gay theater-goer might be more interested in seeing a show written by gay artists with a gay theme, instead of a musical about straight couples attempting to have a baby.  I don’t find anything radical, inflammatory, or offensive with that statement, and I would say it was quite accurate.  I was part of the gay theater going population of New York in 1983, and I remember clearly that La Cage was a theater event to the gay population.  And why not?   Here, we have a big-name, big-budget, mainstream musical comedy hit that focused on a committed gay couple.  A musical that laughed, for the most part with the gay characters and, shock of all shocks, laughed at the heterosexual characters.  I suspect that had one of one of the gay members of this site suggested this as a possible factor for the failure of Baby, no one would have thought twice about it.

However, I imagine the ire of some of our gay members may have more to do with Noel’s second assertion that gay men and women have less experience and therefore less interest in conception, child birth, etc.  Perhaps the problem lies in Noel’s choice of the word most to describe the number off gays that have these experiences and these interests.  DR SWW suggested that, I believe, about 10% of gay men and a larger share of gay women are indeed parents.  That would leave 90% that are not parents.  Perhaps Noel could have used the word, some or the word, majority or had he felt the need to clarify his statement even further, the phrase, 90% of might have been more accurate.  But, again, we are talking about 1983.  I would be interested to know what share of that 10% of men who were parents then, did so as a conscious choice of their gay lives, and how many became parents because of marriages and relationships that took place before they began to accept or live their lives as gay men.  I would think that (again, back in 1983 terms) this has a lot more to say about the repression and unacceptability of homosexuality in the 50s, 60s, and 70s; than it does about gay's desire and needs, or of Noel’s disapproval or disdain of gay parents.  I found nothing in Noel’s comments to suggest that he felt that gays were bad parents, unfit parents, or that their was any lack of love on either these parents or their children's part.

I know that Noel does not need me to defend his opinions or his intentions.  I just felt it was unfortunate that several of us found the need to read something offensive into what was mrely offered as a possible explanation of a show's lack of success, which was exactly the topic of the day that had been put fourth by BK.  Anyway, sorry, I didn't mean to ramble.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #122 on: January 18, 2004, 12:16:03 PM »

Buster has now had his first bath!

Der Brucer was soaking his sore muscles in the tub, and Buster decided he had to inspect.

SPLOOSH!

[size=10]LOL[/size] ;D ;D

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2004, 12:17:12 PM »

Welcome DR Jay to the clouds.

Thank you, Dear Reader Tomovoz.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #124 on: January 18, 2004, 12:18:07 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Jay Congratulations and welcome to the clouds.[/move]

Jay

« Reply #125 on: January 18, 2004, 12:20:36 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Jay Congratulations and welcome to the clouds.[/move]

Thank you, Dear Reader Jane!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #126 on: January 18, 2004, 12:43:15 PM »

It's also Cary Grant's Birthday!  I raise a ham chunk in his honour!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2004, 01:15:12 PM »

The earliest cast recordings that I can remember were My Fair Lady and Oklahoma, but the Oklahoma was definately older because it was on 78s.  One song per side, and an actual album of discs.

I'm starting to feel ancient.

My first KISS ME KATE was the album of 78s. Our record player played 33's, 78's, and 45's (and 16's as I recall though I don't believe we ever had any of those. I'm not THAT old.)

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: January 18, 2004, 01:16:16 PM »

Welcome to Valhalla, DR Jay! Didn't mean to ignore the important event; I was offline and off-cloud when it happened.

Jay

« Reply #129 on: January 18, 2004, 01:27:23 PM »

Welcome to Valhalla, DR Jay! Didn't mean to ignore the important event; I was offline and off-cloud when it happened.

Thank you, Dear Reader Matt H.

Jed

« Reply #130 on: January 18, 2004, 01:31:14 PM »

Welcome, new Dear HHW God Jay!

SWoody - LOVE the bath story! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jay

« Reply #131 on: January 18, 2004, 01:40:16 PM »

Welcome, new Dear HHW God Jay!

SWoody - LOVE the bath story! :D

Thank you, Dear Reader Jed!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #132 on: January 18, 2004, 01:41:30 PM »

Outside my window is the sort of sight painters paint, but, when you see the painting, you can't really believe it's true.  There's a big tree that grows on the island in the center of Broadway and it's painted white, perfectly, by today's snow.  Judging by pedestrians, the sidwalks seem managable.  Soon, we're going to a wedding in Central Park.

I enjoyed TCB's post, elaborating on my earlier thoughts.  Again, I apologize for the hurt feelings and even anticipated some ruffled feathers: it's why I said my view was controversial.  I, too, was a New York theatre-goer when Baby and La cage aux folles were playing.

The first cast album I can remember is Hello Dolly!  I thought Carol Channing sounded like a weird old lady and now, all these years later, she's a weird old lady.  There's something wonderful about that.  I, too, had Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music and also recall two obscure shows: Young Abe Lincoln, and Bock & Harnick's The Man in the Moon.  All got worn and warped.

If the wedding doesn't wear me out, perhaps I'll join the pajama party.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: January 18, 2004, 01:43:13 PM »

Yesterday I received in the mail the "purple" collection of Hercule Poirot hour-long mysteries (6 programs on two discs). These are the MOST entertaining 45 minute mysteries I know of. I had taped them all off either PBS' MYSTERY or A&E over the years, but it's great to be getting them now in such nice editions. This is the fourth box of them that Acorn Media has released, and they can't come out fast enough to suit me.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #134 on: January 18, 2004, 01:44:47 PM »

Good morning (To me, at least) Everyone.
My goodness, what an interesting bunch of late night posts I was greeted with today!  DR's Jed and Laura are canoodling, Jed whilst wearing a frilly shirt and pantaloons, and Laura in pink footy-pajamas, both of them sitting in a tree while a cyber-yente BK hollers at both of them.  Right?  Of course right.  At least that's the story I got... :)
I made the rather foolish decision to drive over the pass at 11 pm last night...thank goodness for Sondheim to sing along to, I was very close to falling asleep.
Noel - I'm sorry your b-day was less than stellar.  I had less than stellar day myself, but at least it wasn't my b-day on top of it.  Many hopes that today will be lovely and sparkling to make up for it.
SWoody - LOL to the sploosh story.  I'll never forget the first time our old basenji decided to inspect the bathtub when my mom was giving my sister a bath...similar antics, except he got bubble bath all over himself and kept trying to lick the bubbles off.  Poor little guy.
I should be able to attend the pj party tonight.  I shall be wearing my favorite pj pants, shiny blue with yellow moons and stars all over them.  
As for cast albums, let me think on that one...tough to remember.  I think it might have been ALNM, but there might have been one before that.  Are we talking ones that I personally owned, or that I heard because my parents played them?

Jennifer

« Reply #135 on: January 18, 2004, 01:47:43 PM »

Congrats DR Jay!

Jennifer

« Reply #136 on: January 18, 2004, 02:08:06 PM »

DR Jane: When is that picture from?

Jennifer

« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2004, 02:09:30 PM »

DR Ann, sorry you had a bad day.  If you need to vent, email me.

I think I will go eat now. Hope everyone has a good evening. I will try to make it back for the chat.

Michael

« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2004, 02:10:50 PM »

To all Canadian readers:

Is Hymn Sing still on the CBC Sunday afternoons?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2004, 02:14:46 PM »

Just to mention that the wonderful Alet Oury is also featured on The Burt Bacarach Album, Cinderella, Night of the Hunter, Primetime Musicals, The Paul Simon Album, Sondheim at The Movies, Unsung Musicals III
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2004, 02:18:02 PM »

And here is a wedding photo of Alet Oury and Andy Taylor

Alet Oury and Andrew D. Taylor were married Aug. 25, 2001, by the Rev. Douglas A. Land in Hamilton.
Their parents are Jim and Peggie Oury of Hamilton and Norman and Mary Taylor of Missoula.
Man of honor was John Cockrell. Bridesmaids were Carrie Oury, Holly Denton and Katie McWane. Racine Oury was flower girl.
Best man was Sam Taylor and groomsmen were Alan Taylor, Lar Autio and Hal Fossum. Dashiell Taylor was ring bearer.
Alet graduated from Trinity College in Hartford, Conn., and Andrew is a graduate of Oberlin College in Ohio.
They live in Los Angeles.
Never stop dreaming.

Jay

« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2004, 02:25:00 PM »

Congrats DR Jay!

Thank you, Dear Reader Jennifer!

Michael

« Reply #142 on: January 18, 2004, 02:30:03 PM »

I just read an interview with the late Dorothy Loudon that she did last summer. In was in connection with the Demo/Studio release of the cast recording of The Fig Leaves Are Falling. What I found interesting was the coda at the end of the interview; FIG LEAVES ARE FALLING is still on our agenda for release. However, we are working with several estates to gain the rights to release the material...and we are unsure as to when the release of this show will be. Any new information will be posted to the website  They have been promoting it for months now and they don't have the rights yet? Oy Vey!
Never stop dreaming.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2004, 02:37:53 PM »

TWMHM - but, how many compilations is he on?

Who?  Or do you mean the WSMA?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 02:41:58 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #144 on: January 18, 2004, 02:40:09 PM »

That is SO frustrating! I don't understand the reluctance of these estates to release this material.

George

« Reply #145 on: January 18, 2004, 02:41:27 PM »

Re Water Under the Bridge - I'll tell you a funny story about that song sometime - it has to do with rehearsing it and trying to figure out the structure so Debbie could build it right and so that the emotion was right - there's a reason Liza's version doesn't work.

Why wait?  Tell!  I love Debbie Gravitte and I love her version of this song.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #146 on: January 18, 2004, 02:42:09 PM »

The World's Most Handsome Man = Brent Barrett

George

« Reply #147 on: January 18, 2004, 02:44:18 PM »

So now we can call him TWMH&SMA? ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 02:44:42 PM by George »

George

« Reply #148 on: January 18, 2004, 02:46:11 PM »

I have some things to do, but I'll be back in time for chat as well as the pajama party.  Happy Bruce?  No previewing!

Michael

« Reply #149 on: January 18, 2004, 02:46:26 PM »

The World's Most Handsome Man = Brent Barrett

Oh my! I forgot to add Brent Barrett to my list. I think I also forgot Judy Kaye! There are just so manny! (a Poseidon adventure reference)
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up