Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: SWEDISH NOTES  (Read 47652 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:SWEDISH NOTES
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2007, 05:48:07 AM »

You read it here FIRST:  Hostess is once again making banana-creme Twinkies.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2007, 05:49:41 AM »

[shadow=color,glow width,#characters wide][size=8]Page 2[/size][/font][/shadow]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2007, 05:50:36 AM »

Hi, Ben......

(both an HHW contemporary greeting AND a "Follies" reference)

singdaw

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2007, 05:55:43 AM »

I guess he took "break a leg" too literally...

James Carpinello, currently starring as Sonny in Xanadu injured his foot on Tuesday and will be out of the show until further notice a production source confirmed to BroadwayWorld.com. Xanadu, opens on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 at Broadway’s Helen Hayes Theatre (240 West 44th Street) after beginning previews on May 23rd.

Wishing him a speedy recovery!

singdaw

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2007, 05:56:07 AM »

DR Adriana Patti - thanks for the pics and the theatre report!   :)

singdaw

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2007, 05:57:04 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

singdaw

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2007, 06:03:58 AM »

Michael

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2007, 06:04:30 AM »

I guess he took "break a leg" too literally...

James Carpinello, currently starring as Sonny in Xanadu injured his foot on Tuesday and will be out of the show until further notice a production source confirmed to BroadwayWorld.com. Xanadu, opens on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 at Broadway’s Helen Hayes Theatre (240 West 44th Street) after beginning previews on May 23rd.

Wishing him a speedy recovery!

This is a nicer way than saying he was fired and they need to replace him.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2007, 06:07:14 AM »

The Swedish Chef song lyrics

Yorn desh born,
der ritt
de gitt
der gue,
Orn desh,
dee born desh,
de umn bork!
bork! bork!
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2007, 06:07:53 AM »

That's what I was thinking, DR MS.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2007, 06:08:18 AM »

Yesterday I said MAKE MINE MINK

Yesterday I meant THAT TOUCH OF MINK

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2007, 06:08:53 AM »

Selling tickets to CINDERELLA later today.  Hope there are some to sell....

FJL

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2007, 06:09:49 AM »

Michael S - Re Xanadu:  do you have any inside info on this?  Wouldn't it get out if he hadn't really injured his foot?  If it were something face-saving, wouldn't they try for something less verifiable like an internal illness?

There didn't seem to be anyhting wroing with Carpinello's performance, though.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2007, 06:12:43 AM »

Good morning, all! I am not happy. For six months now, 2007 has been a rather unpleasant year for me, and after six months of dealing with my father's death, my own physical ailments, poor sleep, sibling problems, a ridiculously apathetic employer, something has got to change.  Don't know what yet but I'm working on it.  Thank God for friends!

I have nothing else to report after my second sentence at the moment, but to mention how much I am enjoying Leo Lerman's journals, which I'm reading before going to bed.  I'm reading about Henry VIII on the subways and buses.

Lerman's journals begin in the 1930 and I'm currently in the 1970's.  I didn't know that Maria Callas was one of his best friends from 1955 or so to her death, so I was reading about Callas and the Juilliard master classes, a number of performances he attended, itroducing Marlene Dietrich to Callas, and a lot of fascinating and scandalous gossip:  the best last evening was the Jackie Kennedy-Onassis-Callas triangle and Leo's speculations on how Onassis' predilection for anal sex was affecting his marriage to Jackie.  Mrs Kennedy also became friendly with Lerman, he suspected, out of a desire to keep tabs on Callas, but there in an interesting journal entry on helping Caroline Kennedy with her homework on art and how well-behaved the Kennedy children were.

My late friend Paula Lawrence keeps turning up a lot, and I wish I'd had her introduce me to Leo. We had several friends in common, and I'm enjoying his wit, kindness, and grace as a writer.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2007, 06:15:23 AM »

This came in an email.  I'd never heard about this, but it seems reasonable, so I thought I'd pass it on.

Microwaving Water!

(I did not know this, did you?)
 I  microwave water for coffee all the time .
Now, I don't think I will be doing it this way anymore.

A 26-year old man decided to have a cup of coffee. He took a cup of water and put it in the microwave to heat it up (something that he had done numerous times before). I am not sure how long he set the timer for, but he wanted to bring the water to a boil. When the timer shut the oven off, he removed the cup from the oven. As he looked into the cup, he noted that the water was not boiling, but suddenly the water in the cup "blew up" into his face. The cup remained intact until he threw it out of his hand, but all the water had flown out into his face due to the build up of energy. His whole face is blistered and he has 1st and 2nd degree burns to his face which may leave scarring.

He also may have lost partial sight in his left eye. While at the hospital, the doctor who was attending to him stated that this is a fairly common occurrence and water (alone) should never be heated in a microwave oven. If water is heated in this manner, something should be placed in the cup to diffuse the energy such as a wooden stir stick, tea bag, etc., (nothing metal).

It is however a much safer choice to boil the water in a tea kettle.

General Electric's Response:

Thanks for contacting us, I will be happy to assist you. The e-mail that you received is correct. Microwaved water and other liquids do not always bubble when they reach th e boiling point. They can actually get superheated and not bubble at all. The superheated liquid will bubble up out of the cup when it is moved or when something like a spoon or tea bag is put into it.

To prevent this from happening and causing injury, do not heat any liquid for more than two minutes per cup. After heating, let the cup stand in the microwave for thirty seconds! before moving it or adding anything into it.

Here is what our local science teacher had to say on the matter: "Thanks for the microwave warning. I have seen this happen before. It is caused by a phenomenon known as super heating. It can occur anytime water is heated and will particularly occur if the vessel that the water is heated in is new, or when heating a small amount of water (less than h alf a cup).

What happens is that the water heats faster than the vapor bubbles can form. If the cup is very new then it is unlikely to have small surface scratches inside it that provide a place for the bubbles to form. As the bubbles cannot form and release some of the heat has built up, the liquid does not boil, and the liquid continues to heat up well past its boiling point.

What then usually happens is that the liquid is bumped or jarred, which is just enough of a shock to cause the bubbles to rapidly form and expel the hot liquid. The rapid formation of bubbles is also why a carbonated beverage spews when opened after having been shaken."
If you pass this on you could very well save someone from a lot of pain and suffering.

Michael

« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2007, 06:24:24 AM »

Michael S - Re Xanadu:  do you have any inside info on this?  Wouldn't it get out if he hadn't really injured his foot?  If it were something face-saving, wouldn't they try for something less verifiable like an internal illness?

There didn't seem to be anyhting wroing with Carpinello's performance, though.

Just a guess. I have become jaded. When a lead actor leaves a role during previews for health reason I always think it of a kinder way of saying he didn't work out. (Happened to me) Since the musical uses roller skates it seemed to me like a good excuse.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2007, 06:36:39 AM »

Wow - thanks for the super heating warning, DRFJL.

I hadn't heard of this either....but then I don't microwave anything for more than two minutes.

Ginny

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2007, 06:38:22 AM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  My afternoon yesterday consisted of a tour with coworkers of The Job Center, which is a place I hope I'll never need, but am glad to know it's there.  The tour ended at 3:30, and I used some comp time, ended my workday, and went to a friend's home to look at some lovely Longaberger baskets (I was good - didn't buy anything).  Dinner at home with the family, then I crashed.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2007, 06:40:06 AM »

DR Elmore -

{{{{{{HUGs}}}}}}
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2007, 06:53:12 AM »

DR elmore3003 - is it too late for more ***LEASE VIBES*** ?

Wouldn't good news on that front lift your spirits just a wee bit?   :)

singdaw

« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2007, 06:55:38 AM »

My question for ask bk day:

Isn't it just a little bit of a drag always having to be up and about at midnight to post the daily notes?  Hasn't there been the odd occasion when you wanted to go to bed early and didn't WANT to stay up until midnight to post the notes?  Don't get me wrong - I know we all appreciate it.  But it seems a big sacrifice on your part!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2007, 07:05:00 AM »

Good morning!

Another delightfully cool morning and looks like another day I can do without central A/C. Good for the bank account for sure!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 07:05:15 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2007, 07:08:26 AM »

I read about the death of Mr. Wizard - Don Herbert in this morning's paper. Another icon from my childhood gone and much missed.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2007, 07:10:06 AM »

The season premiere of RESCUE ME comes on tonight at 10 (FX), and I will definitely be wang that. I completely forgot about LIFE ON THE D-LIST, and I could have watched it after I finished screening the superb RIO BRAVO last night.

I'm sure Bravo will rerun it (into the ground) this week. I'll check my cable guide later.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2007, 07:11:43 AM »

Today I want to finish the WINNIE THE POOH DVD, and then move on to other things. I got the 1999 thriller THE BONE COLLECTOR in the mail last week, so I want to watch it soon. And I have WITHOUT LOVE still waiting there to be seen. The remaining episodes of ANGEL's season four set are also looming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2007, 07:23:38 AM »

My question for ask bk day:

Isn't it just a little bit of a drag always having to be up and about at midnight to post the daily notes?  Hasn't there been the odd occasion when you wanted to go to bed early and didn't WANT to stay up until midnight to post the notes?  Don't get me wrong - I know we all appreciate it.  But it seems a big sacrifice on your part!

In Ye Days Of Olde the notes used to be posted in the morning, but that schedule was always dependent on when I arose.  At some point, I started doing them at midnight and that seemed to work better for me and everyone else.  If I'm super tired, which has happened on occasion, then I write them earlier, post them, but change the date and time stamp to reflect that it's after midnight.  Then I close down the current day's discussion and start the new one.  It's happened a few times over the years.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2007, 07:23:58 AM »

Oh, and I'm up.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2007, 07:30:22 AM »

DR elmore3003 - is it too late for more ***LEASE VIBES*** ?

Wouldn't good news on that front lift your spirits just a wee bit?   :)

If the lease actually got signed and we could raise this damned project out of its current quagmire, I would be ecstatic.  The problem is, we were told last week that if our funder didn't sign by Friday, it was going to another renter.  With the new landlord making these threats and our ielusive billionaire remaining incommunicado, this situation cannot continue much longer before anything positive is removed from the picture.  If we lose thos lease, I'm out.  This situation is unfair to all the institute's employees involved in these negotiations as well as the landlord. Perhaps this is way of closing us down? Who's to know?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2007, 07:32:22 AM »

The season premiere of RESCUE ME comes on tonight at 10 (FX), and I will definitely be wang that.

For my part, I'll be wang another delightful episode of Miss Marple.  I'm enjoying these boxed sets immensely.

I have not missed wang network TV at all the past couple of weeks.

I find that ving DVDs is a delightful evening pastime.

Hell, I may even start ring in the near future.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 07:36:11 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2007, 07:35:24 AM »

I just love this new shorthand!

Everyone should try it....you be ging it in no time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Up