Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: IT HAS COME TO MY ATTENTION  (Read 51825 times)

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
Re:IT HAS COME TO MY ATTENTION
« Reply #240 on: May 15, 2007, 03:15:48 PM »

Dear DR Jose...... You are very sweet to clean up after your thoughtless slob, busy roomate.  I also think it would be nice for your roomates to show some special appreciation to you sometimes.... a little present, a gift certificate to somewhere nice,.... something like that.

They don't realize what a jewel and a prince they have for a roomate!

[end of my soapbox]

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #241 on: May 15, 2007, 03:17:04 PM »

And so here is a "Damn Them All To Hell" Dance !!   :P

......PAGE NINE..........

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #242 on: May 15, 2007, 03:19:54 PM »

Well, one COULD ask for three coins in a fountain, but that would be greedy.

We could settle for Two Mules For Sister Sara.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #243 on: May 15, 2007, 03:25:45 PM »

-I'm still trying to figure out how a 1/2 cup of flour ended up in one of the burners -

I take it you slept through that little fire.

Does Sara Lee know where the fire extinguisher is?

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #244 on: May 15, 2007, 03:28:25 PM »

-And now I'm tempted to leave a note on the fridge:  Please leave the kitchen the way you found it.

;)

Why not a note that says: "The Shelter thanks you for the delicious cookies."

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #245 on: May 15, 2007, 03:33:59 PM »

Dear DR Jose...... You are very sweet to clean up after your thoughtless slob, busy roomate.  I also think it would be nice for your roomates to show some special appreciation to you sometimes.... a little present, a gift certificate to somewhere nice,.... something like that.

They don't realize what a jewel and a prince they have for a roomate!

[end of my soapbox]

Aw, shucks, DR MusicGuy. Thanks.

Again, I really didn't mind cleaning.  And, frankly, I guess I was a little bored too.  However...

We all do little things for each other around here all the time.  It's a good group.  When we weren't sure what was happening with the lease here a few months ago, the first thing we all started looking for was another apartment that all four of us could move into (again).

And, trust me, if I was really mad about the "mess", I would have said something before she left.  Trust me on that one.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #246 on: May 15, 2007, 03:40:09 PM »

Sorry, I can't think of a single dance for page seven that involves shopping carts.   :-\

Contact Susan Stroman - if she can do walkers, she can do shopping carts!

der Brucer

MBarnum

« Reply #247 on: May 15, 2007, 03:43:03 PM »

I knew about the gas boycott, having received e-mails about it from everyone on the planet...however I forgot that it was today.

Like Edisaurus said, what good would it do since everyone who doesn't fill up today would just do it on another day...so the same amount of gas would be purchased...you would simply need to "use" less gas rather then just not buy it on once particular day.

I do refuse to believe that there is a "legitimate" reason for these outrageous prices and it seems odd to me that all of the grandstanding politicians who start out saying they are going to get to the bottom of it.....never  seem to, nor do you ever hear them talk about it again. Probably too busy driving the brand new Jaguar up to their brand new vacation home that they mysteriously just got once they stopped spouting off about gas prices.

Just my two cents worth.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #248 on: May 15, 2007, 03:51:07 PM »

That's because everytime the government steps in to do something about the gas prices, the oil companies suddenly, magically, drop the prices - that's what happened last year - the prices dropped almost a dollar within six weeks because the government started making noises.  So, they backed off - and prices went back up.  They need to ream these people, and ream them well.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #249 on: May 15, 2007, 03:53:48 PM »

Like Edisaurus said, what good would it do since everyone who doesn't fill up today would just do it on another day...so the same amount of gas would be purchased...you would simply need to "use" less gas rather then just not buy it on once particular day.

Exactly.

There should be a "no drive" day, and then a day's worth of gas would not be consumed per person. As it is, I'm not buying gas today, because I don't need it today. I'll gas up tomorrow, but I haven't had any impact on the oil industry by not buying it today.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

DERBRUCER

« Reply #250 on: May 15, 2007, 04:03:31 PM »

It has come to my attention that today is "don't buy gas day."  I had no idea, but I support it completely.  Are people listening?  No, they're at the gas station topping off their tanks.  Do you know how much money the oil companies would lose if everyone actually DID boycott today?  And tomorrow?  Let me tell you how fast prices would begin to drop.  There is strength in numbers, but people are just hopeless.  They can't go a day without topping off their stupid tanks.  They couldn't get gas yesterday?  Or tomorrow?  It has to be today?

A. If most people stopped buying gas today or tomorrow, the oil companies would suffer very little - folks would just have to buy more the day after.

B. Recommended emergency preparedness in areas like Southern CA suggest keeping your tank at least half full.

If people really want to "hurt the oil companies" then replace a "don't buy gas day" with a "don't drive day"!

der Brucer

MBarnum

« Reply #251 on: May 15, 2007, 04:11:22 PM »

And I cannot be convinced that the lowering of gas prices that occured just as we were voting last time was a coincidence...cause they went right back up aftewards.

Not that I am a conspiracy theorist or anything...but really, now.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #252 on: May 15, 2007, 04:13:22 PM »

Sorry about "Jericho", I am.  But...not totally surprised.

Me, too. I wish it could have found a home on cable. It is the kind of show that Sci-Fi channel might have picked up.

On a side note, the fact than channels like USA, TNT, and SCI air their "first run" episodes twice an evening gives viewers many more viewing opportunities.

der Brucer

MBarnum

« Reply #253 on: May 15, 2007, 04:20:08 PM »

For some reason my Pakistani internet radio station won't load today and that has left me without any musical accompaniment for my work day.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #254 on: May 15, 2007, 04:22:38 PM »

That's because everytime the government steps in to do something about the gas prices, the oil companies suddenly, magically, drop the prices - that's what happened last year - the prices dropped almost a dollar within six weeks because the government started making noises.  So, they backed off - and prices went back up.  They need to ream these people, and ream them well.

As long as "Oily" Brother George is president, we're the ones getting reamed.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #255 on: May 15, 2007, 04:23:04 PM »

"Jericho" is the one I watched.  
It's a creepy, but very plausible look at how our society may break down in the wake of national disaster on huge scale.

Not only that, it does a nice job in addressing how individuals will react to that breakdown - some fall apart without the structure, others, like Dale, grow to meet the new demands.

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #256 on: May 15, 2007, 04:25:38 PM »

For some reason my Pakistani internet radio station won't load today and that has left me without any musical accompaniment for my work day.

And how do your co-workers feel about such good tidings?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #257 on: May 15, 2007, 04:26:45 PM »

I thought Jericho was a pretty interesting show also, but lost interest after that long hiatus...and I also really did not like the lead actor...so I never returned.

MBarnum

« Reply #258 on: May 15, 2007, 04:27:35 PM »

Hmmm....you know they have all been really nice to me today DR Elmore. Do you think there is a connection?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #259 on: May 15, 2007, 04:42:36 PM »

Did they publicize this "don't buy gas" boycott?  If I hadn't been told about it, I would never have known.  Certainly it wasn't on the AOL News page at any time, nor the roadrunner news page.  Are they owned by oil companies?

Well, few would accuse me of not "keeping up" with the news, and I hadn't heard about it either. Of course my usual reaction to a boycott is to go buy; and, to confirm Edisaurus's suspicions, I never met a picket line I wouldn't cross.

If the government really wants to reduce gasoline consumption, then raise the CAFE standards (and include SUVs and pick-ups in the mix) and put a hefty retail tax to push gasoline prices to at $5.00/gallon to stimuate consumer behavior modification. (At a mere $3.00/gallon, my daughter still drives alone in her 7 passanger mini-van  over 100 miles a day for work.)

der Brucer

Danise

« Reply #260 on: May 15, 2007, 04:58:11 PM »

Hi all.

If I ever needed those famous HHW vibes, it is now.

I got here from work and was told that Mom may not make it though the night.  If she does, she won't last but a day or two.  All the signs they tell you about are there so I don't doubt it this time.

Forgive me but I won't be posting for a few days.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.  You are such a wonderful group of people.  No one could ask for a better group of friends.

Much love,
Danise
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #261 on: May 15, 2007, 04:59:21 PM »

I thought Jericho was a pretty interesting show also, but lost interest after that long hiatus...and I also really did not like the lead actor...so I never returned.

Skeet Ulrich?  You didn't like Skeet?  

Holy Moly....on rye.

Oh, well....diffrent strokes and all that.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #262 on: May 15, 2007, 05:00:03 PM »

Hi all.

If I ever needed those famous HHW vibes, it is now.

I got here from work and was told that Mom may not make it though the night.  If she does, she won't last but a day or two.  All the signs they tell you about are there so I don't doubt it this time.

Forgive me but I won't be posting for a few days.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.  You are such a wonderful group of people.  No one could ask for a better group of friends.

Much love,
Danise

God bless, Danise!  My thoughts are with you.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #263 on: May 15, 2007, 05:10:01 PM »

Good Afternoon!

It's amazing just how much stuff one can get done if one does not turn on the computer and log on to the internet before getting the aforementioned stuff done.

;)

Yes, I'm up.  And I've been up!

So you really waited an entire five minutes before turning on your computer?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #264 on: May 15, 2007, 05:12:49 PM »

I've been going over my songs for this musical reading I'm doing in a couple of weeks - I wish I'd printed them out sooner - some of this stuff is totally out of my range, and, for my money, the character would NEVER sing this high, producing that kind of sound.  It would be like having Harold Hill sing high A's.  Why?  So, I've written a strong note to the writer and basically told him I'm completely uncomfortable trying to sing lots of G's and A's and, frankly, even F's.  I asked him if it were going to be possible to transpose my songs - we'll see what he has to say, but if the answer is no, I believe I'll pull out.
I'm surprised the composer and others involved didn't check your recordings before asking you to participate.  They give a very good indication of your range and comfort zone.

Of course, you could always pull the trick I pulled back in the sixth grade, when we were all supposed to sing for the ceremony noting our graduation from Elementary school to Jr. High.  My voice was already changing, so instead of letting it crack, whenever the note got too high I just transposed to an octave lower.  It freaked out the girls who were sitting in the row right in front of me, but there was no way I was going to keep my mouth shut, not with my parents and grandparents attending.  (Lip-synching wasn't even heard of back then... whadaya mean, that wasn't Natalie Wood singing on the West Side Story soundtrack?!!   :o)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #265 on: May 15, 2007, 05:13:14 PM »

So you really waited an entire five minutes before turning on your computer?

Score one for you!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #266 on: May 15, 2007, 05:15:44 PM »

DR Danise - Peace and Love.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #267 on: May 15, 2007, 05:16:36 PM »

...Just spoke to the author, who assured me there would be no problems transposing whatever I needed.  So, about three or four numbers are going down, down, down.  
Much better than my suggestion.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #268 on: May 15, 2007, 05:18:41 PM »

We lose more DRs that way!

;)

Hope your arm feels better soon, DR DearReaderLaura!

There are many ways to injure an arm.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #269 on: May 15, 2007, 05:20:40 PM »

Is he dead?  Last I heard he was just "unresponsive".

No, the first information turned out to be merely a complaint from his wife.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Up