Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE A MOTHERLESS CHILD  (Read 10036 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE A MOTHERLESS CHILD
« on: August 15, 2010, 11:36:29 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes felt like a motherless child, and now it is time for you to post until the motherless cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE A MOTHERLESS CHILD
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 11:37:05 PM »

And the word of the day is: BALNEAL!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 11:45:40 PM »

A Very Happy Birthday to DR Vixmom!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 12:00:23 AM »

So last night, I went out to feed the cats at my sister's and her boyfriend's houses (all cats are alive and well :D) and on the way home, I drove through the Arby's drive-through.  I got all the way into my house before I realized that they didn't give me one of my items (potato bites...they were $3!).  I really wasn't going to worry about it, but then I also realized that I forgot to put out the yard waste container at my sister's house...dammit.  So, since I already had to go back out, I drove through the Arby's drive-through again and they gave me what they forgot the first time.  Then, I drove ALL the way back to my sister's just to put out the yard waste container.  I got home and just finished watching "Mad Men."

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 12:36:49 AM »

I'm hungry - and going to bed!

George

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 01:11:49 AM »

The last book that I just read was There's Mel, There's Woody, and There's You: My Life in the Slow Lane. :) I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Ben

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 03:05:38 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 03:05:59 AM »

Happy VixMom Day.

Hope it's Work Free!!!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 04:14:22 AM »

Happy Birthday Day Vixmom

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 04:19:40 AM »

Hey Everybody.  MAN, it's 4:00am PST, and the DP and the DG are up.  The company is still asleep, although Brandon (11) opened his eyes recently.  Hopefully, the east coast time will aide in their getting up this morning as we want to leave by 5:00am.  When we finally get to LA, (I'm hoping by 11:00am or noon) it's Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and the surroundings with all the popular sites.  Most likely it will be just a driving tour.  We are going to go to Pinks for lunch, that's really all that we know for sure.  Then later in the afternoon, we'll head to the Disneyland area where we'll hang out this eve, get some dinner in the Downtown Disney area, and then hit the ground running tomorrow morning.  The kids have never been to a Disney park before and I just love playing tour guide for first time visitors. 

And we're off!!! (almost a William Finn reference!)

Ginny

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 04:57:51 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  I have an appointment today with our family doctor, who was in communication with the cardiologist the whole time I was in the hospital.  They're in the same health care network, but practice at different hospitals, so it will be interesting to get his take on my recent experience.  If he says, "I told you so," I might have to smack him.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 04:58:09 AM »

Happiest of birthdays to DR Vixmom!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 05:08:32 AM »

Happy, happy, Vixmom!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 05:09:18 AM »

Morning, all!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 05:16:56 AM »

TOD: The last book I finished was "Marion Fay," a late novel by Anthony Trollope and the 56th volume of his I've read. It was a typical Trollope love story, one in which money and social status are the road blocks to happiness. He learned a lot from Jane Austen. Yet this wasn't exactly a typical novel for him or in general. There isn't entirely the happy ending you expect from an often humorous romance.

That leaves me with about four more books of his to read, but only one novel, "Castle Richmond," which is said to be one of his best. It's only by accident that I saved one of the supposed best for last. Frankly, most of his books are equally enjoyable, which is why I've been able to read through his body of work in the last six years.

But I have to finish re-reading "Anna Karenina" first.
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 05:19:50 AM »

Happy Birthday, VIXMOM!
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 05:22:09 AM »

TOD:

MURDER AT THE HOLLYWOOD HERITAGE SOCIETY

I enjoyed it...but I can't recall the name of the author.

::)
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 05:25:40 AM »

Good morning, all! I headed for bed around 10:30 last night and by 11:15 I was printing out the Tams-Witmark Finding Aid for the Library of Congress' T-W Collection. After that I passed out and slept quite well, with three interesting dreams: in the first was was on Amsterdam Avenue with Mrs Victor Herbert and someone - I don't think it was Victor - was playing a cello; the second was a nightmare that was getting creepy when I woke up around 3 am this morning and I rememebr little of it now; the last involved Kate Baldwin, Cheyenne Jackson, and a renovation of an old store front in Dayton, OH.

I've been invited to see the new Julia Roberts film today at 1:15, but i think I may pass, drop off the "Meadowlark" score to the copyist and deal with another copyist's questions on the orchestration for "Our Time" from Liz' On- and Off-Broadway recording. Ron Raines called me last night and he wants to come over to borrow some more CDs, so I expect he'll arrive at some time around 10 or 11. While I'm waiting for him, i need to dig out the score for "Ballet Ballads" by Jerome Moross that I was sent last month by the copyist and proofread it.

TOD: I'm reading too many books at the moment, including a horror novel, GHOST ROAD BLUES, which i was enthusiastic about when I started it but I'm losing the momentum. The last three books I read were all by Josh Kilmer-Purcell, I'M NOT MYSELF THESE DAYS, CANDY EVERYBODY WANTS, and THE BUCOLIC PLAGUE, which I really enjoyed. I also liked MARVELOUS MELBA, wonderful biography of Dame Nellie Melba, a most amazing woman and opera star.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 05:26:50 AM »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Birthday To Our DR vixmom !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 05:40:31 AM »

Happy Birthday DR VIXMOM!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 05:40:54 AM »

BYE BYE BIRDIE keeps rolling along.....no tickets left that  I know of.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 05:41:07 AM »

Off to do some Monday things.

Kerry

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 05:41:23 AM »

A BIG HHW BIRTHDAY CHEER  AND HUG TO OUR VERY OWN DEAR READER VIXMOM!!!
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 05:58:33 AM »

! ! ! ! !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR VIXMOM  ! ! ! ! !
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Laura

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 06:15:21 AM »

Happy Happy Birthday, Vixmom!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 06:22:44 AM »

TOD:

Last book I read (I finished it on Friday, in fact) was THE TEN CENT PLAGUE by David Hajdu.  This book chronicles the growing hysteria surrounding the comic book industry in the late 40s to early 50s that culminated in community-sponsored bookburnings, McCarthy-style Senate hearings and, ultimately, censorship.

I was so looking forward to this book because of my love of comics, but I found it a drudge that I had to slug my way through.  The author never seems to bother to try to recreate the period of time he writes about and just delivers facts and quotes from some of the writers, artists and publishers involved.  He also goes into detailed tangents--I came away knowing as much about the life and career of Estes Kefauver as I did about that of E.C. comics publisher Bill Gaines.  The book comes to an abrupt halt with the end of E.C. Comics and the last hundred pages are all footnotes, citations and a bibliography.  I'm sorry that I ever picked this one up...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 06:24:23 AM »

This morning I began reading THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO.  It starts very promisingly...
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 06:37:36 AM »

DR TCB, I guess I left yesterday before I saw your post. Or maybe I just left the screen up.

I did go to the international day, but after I posted (at 4:45pm). Although they must have started serving the food early (which they never do). Sadly my favorite food there (Greek) was already sold out! :(

But I got to taste all the other kinds of foods.

It is sort of interesting because some of them don't really know how to serve food to lots of people. Some of them have great food (like the Filipino table). But they don't really know how to keep it warm properly.

The Greek table it usually the most organized. They pre-plate most of they food so you don't have to wait so long. And they serve things that work at an event like this.

Barbados had a huge line yesterday. And they were putting like 8-10 items on a plate. But it took so long.

The best and most organized for the event to me was Ukraine. They had perogies. But they were cooking them in a huge pot of boiling water on the spot. So it was easy to prepare and it was hot and delicious. They were giving 3 per person and since it was only one thing it was fast.

There were some interesting kinds of food (that I don't even know what they were) from Sri Lanka.

The biggest disappointment to me is Italy. They have so much to choose from. ANd every year they give a piece of store bought pizza bread (bread with sauce) and a stale bun with a cold sausage in it.

I ended up being very full.

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 06:42:35 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Vixmom!  Hope you have a great day.

Ginny

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 06:43:04 AM »

TOD - In the hospital, I finished Morality for Beautiful Girls, the third installment in Alexander McCall Smith's #1 Ladies' Detective Agency series.  I was supposed to write an article for the Middfest Magazine on literature of Botswana, but turned over my research materials to the editor last week and let it go.  Right now, I'm concentrating on finishing Mary McCarthy's The Group to be ready for Thursday evening when my book group friends are coming over to watch the movie.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up