Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: OTHER FISH TO FRY  (Read 104679 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:OTHER FISH TO FRY
« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2007, 10:48:26 AM »

And one for mimoe.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #181 on: February 01, 2007, 10:52:35 AM »

Page Seven Dance:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #182 on: February 01, 2007, 11:01:50 AM »

It is cold as the dickens outside!  I nearly froze my face off going out to get lunch.  Plus, the Spensa salad I had gone to get at SaladWorks tastes flat and is not up to their usual standards.  I do not believe they made it with love.

How far are you from Broad & Spruce - Montana Grill serves a bison meatloaf!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #183 on: February 01, 2007, 11:09:59 AM »

Off to do my cultural improvement exercise for the day - watch the American Idol I put on the DVR!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #184 on: February 01, 2007, 11:10:29 AM »

Answer:
I had an accident on Tuesday at work and have been in pain but I wasn't going to let that ruin yesterday.

I was really really touch by all the wonderful wishes yesterday.

You like me! You really like me!

~~~Pain Free and Quick Recovery Vibes!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #185 on: February 01, 2007, 11:14:28 AM »

How far are you from Broad & Spruce - Montana Grill serves a bison meatloaf!

der Brucer

Thanks that suggestion, DR der Brucer!  I'm not really that far--probably about fifteen blocks away.  But I'll save that walk for when we have warmer weather.

BTW, Montana Grill is next door to the Kimmel Center.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: February 01, 2007, 11:15:25 AM »

NO.

Walkie Talkies are point-to-point communications (radio waves through the air). Cell phones, on the other hand are networking devices - your phone goes point-to-point to a local tower (the 'cell") (mico-wave tansmission); that tower in turn relays your call over a complicated world-wide network of towers, land-lines, satelites and trans-oceanic fiber-optic cable. (All for a few cents a minute!)

der Brucer

I thought you'd answer this, DER BRUCER, and am very glad you did. You did it much better than I could. I might have just left it at "different technology."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #187 on: February 01, 2007, 11:16:21 AM »

I used to voluteer to help with the mimeograph machine because I loved to smell the ink after the copies were freshly run.  LOL, whenever copies were handedout, everyone smelled them.  

Who didn't? ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #188 on: February 01, 2007, 11:19:48 AM »

TOD:

I had very little dealings with mimeograph machines and their ilk, other than getting freshly printed test papers in grammar school and holding them up to my nose and taking a deep whiff.

I was somewhat fascinated with the Xerox machine at my local library during my early high school years.  Imagine--I could make copies of pages from my favorite theatre-related books to keep as my own!  But at ten cents a copy, this fascination didn't last very long.

For some reason, my HP scanner at home has a setting with which you can make your scan  look like early photocopies, with blotchy artifacts, blurry and shrivled print and badly-contrasted photos.  I wonder who has a need for that sort of feature?

My HP scanner results ALWAYS look like that. In programming there's a joke: "Is is a bug or a feature?"

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: February 01, 2007, 11:28:28 AM »

TOD: My first memory of a computer mention is my sophomore roommate, who was a systems analysis major.  I was always intrigued by car phones; in the 1970s, there was this pretentious queen in my hometown who used to drive his car down Central Avenue whilst talking into a telephone receiver in a poor attempt to make folk think he had a car in his phone.  I've blocked all memory of his name from my mind but I think he might have been in a production of TRIAL BY JURY that I directed.

Great story, ELMORE. I find it quite funny.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #190 on: February 01, 2007, 11:36:17 AM »

Alas, collecting "monthly" magazines also takes a lot of space, especially when you've got 15-20 years worth.

Oh? You, too?

François

« Reply #191 on: February 01, 2007, 11:39:50 AM »

For cats lovers; a detail of a window display at Disneyland Resort, Paris:

http://www.dlp.info/Guide/images/News/Disneyland/Mainstreet/ShopWindows/MainStreetWindows-ThemeRoof_02j.jpg

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: February 01, 2007, 11:45:21 AM »

In honor of today's title, OTHER FISH TO FRY, I ate fish and chips for lunch.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #193 on: February 01, 2007, 11:50:09 AM »

I have bound a lot of my magazines, which really saves on space and makes finding things very easy.  I love bound volumes and you'd be surprised how inexpensive it is to bind things.  I have a complete run of Scarlet Street bound in about seven volumes, I have the first sixty issues of Filmfax bound, I have about six years' worth of Firsts magazines bound, the entire run (twelve issues) of Panic (a MAD contemporary), entire run of Howard the Duck comics (won on eBay years ago for a sinfully low price), and many others.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: February 01, 2007, 11:50:13 AM »

TOD:
There was a time, not too long ago, when if you saw a person talking to himself you assumed that that person was crackers. Now, with cell phones, I see this all the time--and it still looks peculiar to me.

And I am amazed at how animated and sometimes how personal these conversations are. Alas, there is no phone booth to muffle the conversation and keep it private. People walk down the street, talking LOUDLY into their cell phones, for all to hear. Personally, I'd rather they keep it to themselves.

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #195 on: February 01, 2007, 11:52:08 AM »

I thought you'd answer this, DER BRUCER, and am very glad you did. You did it much better than I could. I might have just left it at "different technology."

I am glad that so many people will jump to educate me at a moments notice, I sincerly am because there is much I do not know. This walkie'talkie/ cell phone comment was a joke however....I have been playing with electronics since I was a very small child and my father made sure I knew how the luxuries I had worked so I would appreciate them. My EX Boyfreind was a tech geek and he would always explain things to me also. I will refrain from posting sarcastic yet ignorant sounding comments in the future. This was an important lesson to me. Thank You! ;D
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: February 01, 2007, 11:54:17 AM »

I have bound a lot of my magazines, which really saves on space and makes finding things very easy.  I love bound volumes and you'd be surprised how inexpensive it is to bind things.  

And here I was, righteously tossing them out, trying not to be such a pack rat!

Seriously, so much of what I've tossed in the past had more value than I thought. I'm glad eBay is here now so that collectors can give good homes to such stuff.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: February 01, 2007, 12:13:14 PM »

People will buy anything on eBay.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: February 01, 2007, 12:13:47 PM »

Where has the morning gone?  I have been doing things but I just don't understand how it got so late so fast.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #199 on: February 01, 2007, 12:15:08 PM »

I am glad that so many people will jump to educate me at a moments notice, I sincerly am because there is much I do not know. This walkie'talkie/ cell phone comment was a joke however....I have been playing with electronics since I was a very small child and my father made sure I knew how the luxuries I had worked so I would appreciate them. My EX Boyfreind was a tech geek and he would always explain things to me also. I will refrain from posting sarcastic yet ignorant sounding comments in the future. This was an important lesson to me. Thank You! ;D

Education is a dish best served cold.  

People tend not to learn things when the education is tempered with attitude - that has been my experience.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: February 01, 2007, 12:17:14 PM »

Ron, you'll be happy to know, vis a vis yesterday's question about the new Intrada release, that through clever deduction (major composers of the era, studios that will license to that label, and a few other things) Nick and I have narrowed it down to five titles, two of which we pretty much discount.  Hence, we have narrowed it down to three titles - we're told we're VERY warm, which means it's one of the three.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #201 on: February 01, 2007, 12:21:41 PM »

BK, I posted seven times on page 7 alone.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: February 01, 2007, 12:30:03 PM »

Well, I must do some errands now, after which I shall return.

Errands are a dish that is best served cold.

FJL

« Reply #203 on: February 01, 2007, 12:36:27 PM »

Skip just brought home some blueberry coulis (sp?) from his Fine Cooking 2 class.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #204 on: February 01, 2007, 12:36:49 PM »

In honor of today's notes, I watched an egret eat a fish.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #205 on: February 01, 2007, 12:37:05 PM »

In honor of today's notes, I ate a tuna sandwich.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

FJL

« Reply #206 on: February 01, 2007, 12:37:17 PM »

Blueberry coulis is indeed a dish that is best served cold.

FJL

« Reply #207 on: February 01, 2007, 12:39:02 PM »

I wrote a song about my egret leaving home.  It's Called "Egret Rien."

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #208 on: February 01, 2007, 12:48:07 PM »

Kharma has kicked in for my apparent "attitude" and I cannot find my cell phone (>.<)
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #209 on: February 01, 2007, 12:52:38 PM »

Good Lord, it's 7:55 here in LA and we're already to page 5?!  

Tonight is opening night for the LACC One-Acts (...thank God!...), so opening night vibes - and opening afternoon vibes for the other bill - would be very much appreciated!  And with that, I am off to the races...er...I mean, to get ready for the shows.  I get to be the House Manager for this afternoon's Blue Bill performance, after which I get to ready myself for the Red Bill's big night.  
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Opening Night Vibes for our DR Cason! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[/b]
[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up