Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: GIRDING MY LOINS  (Read 28856 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:GIRDING MY LOINS
« Reply #150 on: February 09, 2004, 08:59:58 PM »

I think Jose should come out here for a visit.  All of you should !!!!!!

Great idea. Arizona or bust! (Will that get past the 5 minute delay?)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #151 on: February 09, 2004, 09:03:04 PM »

To understand what an identity is, isolate the rhyming syllables.

That's what they call me
So Lauren Bacall me

is not a rhyme, it's an identity.  The rhyming syllables are call me and call me.

The author of such should have his poetic license revoked.

perspire/inspire/spire - not rhymes, but identities

Congratulations (which doesn't rhyme with jubilations) to Swishy Sarah la Fay
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Tomovoz

« Reply #152 on: February 09, 2004, 09:04:10 PM »

Sorry, I don't appreciate Mr Patinkin - although I like the movie about his battleship.
I know I am late on board but this must surely be the funniest line of the day. Thanks JRand.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #153 on: February 09, 2004, 09:04:29 PM »

Wow Swishers! Your time has come! It is your turn in the limelight!

A giant congrats to you!!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

MBarnum

« Reply #154 on: February 09, 2004, 09:05:23 PM »

I know I am late on board but this must surely be the funniest line of the day. Thanks JRand.

It is! And I can't believe I missed it the first time around! LOL! Just cracked me up!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #155 on: February 09, 2004, 09:15:28 PM »

TCB, we believe in free expression here at HHW so if it's Pacific Overtures that you don't care for, feel free to say that. I won't jump on you and pummel you until you're unrecognizable, all the while hurling invective at you that would curl a sailor's hair. I promise  ;)

No, actually I like Pacific Overtures.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #156 on: February 09, 2004, 09:18:51 PM »

Can't stop thinking about poor Jason Raize. Why would someone so young and talented do something like that? And if one thing had been different at that moment, would he still be alive? A kind word from a stranger, a phone call from a friend...
I only ever came close once to doing something like that. I was a young actress, on tour in some strange city.  Alone late at night in my hotel room, bad show that evening, big fight with my boyfriend, feeling untalented, unloved, really depressed. So much had gone wrong that particular night, and every bad thing that had ever happened to me just washed over me... everything seemed hopeless...
With that, DR Panni, you've come closer than most to understanding what can happen.  Three key phrases struck me here: "Alone late at night"..."feeling untalented, unloved, really depressed"... and "Every bad thing that had ever happened to me just washed over me."  

Depression is the monster, with those feelings of being "un".  Unloved, untalented, unable to do things right, un everything.  This can cycle through to "Every bad thing...washed over me."  Not just washed, but floods.  And then there is that first word, "Alone."  That can be the most frightening thing of all, not knowing how to turn to anyone for help, even being afraid that they won't recognize someone in need.

We've discussed this before, the severe depression I went through shortly after arriving in Delaware, in early November.  And these were the things I was going through, emotionally.  It took all of my willpower to remember that there would be a morning, that things could get better.  And as terrified as I was, I was able to reach out, to der Brucer (just as alone on the other coast), and then to get medical help.

This is one of the reasons people should keep in mind that depression is an illness.  It is nothing to be ashamed of, although it feels shamefull at the time.  There is help that can be found.  Having a telephone handy, and reaching to a hotline, can be one way of breaking through.  Not being alone is essential.  

My heart aches, not only for Jason Raize but for his family as well.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #157 on: February 09, 2004, 09:23:20 PM »

TCB (again), I have been looking for the larger version of my avatar/profile picture and can't locate it. Anthony may have done something with it. Here's a similar picture (though not in the basement at the pool table) of us together relaxing. It was taken in October of 2000 at my sister's wedding.

Thanks for posting the photo, Ben, its wonderful!
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #158 on: February 09, 2004, 09:26:12 PM »

It IS a great photo, DR Ben, and thanks for sharing. Enjoyed the earlier Grand Canyon shots, too, DR derBrucer.

Time to bid all a good night.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #159 on: February 09, 2004, 09:28:19 PM »

Congratulations Sarah. "Fey" An enchanting role.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: February 09, 2004, 09:58:13 PM »

I'm back.  Must eat a salad now, I'm starving.

Panni

« Reply #161 on: February 09, 2004, 10:03:56 PM »

Thank you for your post SWW. I was beginning to have doubts about "sharing" (how I hate what that word has become) that story. But now I'm so glad. I'm also glad to have you as a friend. Although we've never met, probably never will, I hope I can consider you that.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #162 on: February 09, 2004, 10:04:48 PM »

Congratulations, Swishy!

Very good news, td!

Keep up the good work, Danise!

I guess none of us ever really know what demons haunt the people around us, even those to whom we think we are the closest.  What might seem to be the tiniest gesture of kindness on our part, could easily turn out to be the all-important helping hand to someone else.

Good night all.
“One thing’s universal,

Jed

« Reply #163 on: February 09, 2004, 10:07:51 PM »

Congrats to SwishySarah!!!

Alright, TCB, I'm guessing SITPWG as the Sondheim that leaves you flat.

Patinkin - Sure, I make fun of him as much as anybody, but I do enjoy the guy, and have 5 or 6 of his CDs.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: February 09, 2004, 10:41:54 PM »

I've ingested my salad and feel better.  

Panni

« Reply #165 on: February 09, 2004, 10:44:59 PM »

Just had a nasty experience. Went out to the corner Coffe Bean to get a caramel coffee drink -- my treat for the night. When I went in I saw a homeless man sitting on the pavement, just shrunken into himself, reading a book. I've seen him before. He doesn't ask for money, he just sits there reading. When I came out he was still there. I asked him if he could use a dollar and gave it to him. He looked really surprised and said,"Thank you. Bless you." When I got in my car I started to cry, thinking about his life and wondering how he got there. (I'm in the middle of writing something about a homeless woman, so I've been thinking about it a lot.) I backed up really slowly and pulled out of the lot. As I was about to go into the street, this kid with pierces in his lip jumped in front of me, waving his arms. I pulled down my window and he said, "You can't hit and run! Come back!" I didn't know what the hell he was talking about. He iaid, "You hit us and now you're trying to get away!" I drove back into the lot. There was a security guard watching the whole thing and other people there. Anyway, this smartass kid claimed I had hit their truck - not a mark on the truck - except some tiny dents in the back rubber section which were not fresh. The kid said, "Are you drunk or on drugs or something? If you didn't hit us how come you're crying?" When I told them I was crying because I felt badly for the homeless man they laughed at me.  Anyway, it's too boring to relate the whole thing. They (the kid and two girls) were really obnoxious and eventually drove off after writing down my plate number (I refused to give them my name). I got the security guard's name and number in case I needed it and some women parked next to the kids said they were lying. But still it shook me up.

Panni

« Reply #166 on: February 09, 2004, 10:50:07 PM »

I guess none of us ever really know what demons haunt the people around us, even those to whom we think we are the closest.  What might seem to be the tiniest gesture of kindness on our part, could easily turn out to be the all-important helping hand to someone else.

Amen!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #167 on: February 09, 2004, 10:52:52 PM »

DR Panni -- You are such a good woman with such a good heart. You are in my prayers.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Panni

« Reply #168 on: February 09, 2004, 10:53:30 PM »

How was the workshop, bk? Or is that tomorrow's Notes?

Panni

« Reply #169 on: February 09, 2004, 10:54:20 PM »

Thank you, DRLaura.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #170 on: February 09, 2004, 10:55:18 PM »

DR SwishySarah - Congratulations!  I will do my best to get the "stuff" in the mail to you Wednesday morning.

DR Kerry - I would love to come out to Arizona - I've only seen it through the windows of a touring bus.

DRs SWW and Panni - Thank you for sharing.

-I had a nice time down at the bar tonight.  Always nice catching up with people.  Always nice catching up with some singers who I wanted to catch up with after their auditions.  And always nice to be complimented and "worshipped". ;)  It's nice when the pats on the back - literal and otherwise - don't have to come from myself.  *It was also nice sharing some "tales" from the past few days with some of the company reps. ;)

All in all, it was another nice set of auditions.  And, as much as some people can't believe it, I actually like playing auditions.  Who knows what recessive gene is responsible for that?!?!?  And I'm still amazed at times just how "good" I can be when someone questionable is singing - I would love one day to have a webcam mounted right above the music rack so I could see my face while I'm playing - and listening.  Could be interesting, very interesting.

OK - I need to pack (well, re-pack), and get some sleep...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #171 on: February 09, 2004, 10:56:10 PM »

What an unsettling experience, Panni.  I hope you will find a diversion this evening to help you shake it.

Your words about Jason Raize and your own experience were quite moving, as was your response, Dear Reader S Woody White.

Sometimes I wish I had a magic wand that could wipe away all the ickiness in the world (including the people who cause it, like those horrible kids this evening) and replace it with love and joy.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Tomovoz

« Reply #172 on: February 09, 2004, 10:56:57 PM »

I am really at a loss for words Panni. "Compassion" may be the one I want.  Have our young become so desensitised and what drives them to such actions? I feel for you and the incident makes me sad. May your sleep be peaceful.
James Thurber 1957

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #173 on: February 09, 2004, 10:57:53 PM »

Swish!  You sing, therefore you rock!  Congratulations on getting the part.  You will be, I know, the best Morgan LeFaye EVER!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2004, 10:59:10 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Tomovoz

« Reply #174 on: February 09, 2004, 11:01:34 PM »

DR Kerry: "Is anybody going to San Antone or Phoenix Arizona?". Who knows? Maybe 2005 as we could well have the Canyon on our list.
Thanks for your Freddy Gardner thoughts. I guess I have other people's 78prm discs to thank. "Japanese Sandman" somehow made its way in to my childhood when we were storing a gramophone for a friend of my parents.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: February 09, 2004, 11:03:48 PM »

Jay, how was the show?  Who was in it?

Panni, your life is DRAMA itself.

ASCAP thought will be in tomorrow's notes.

Panni

« Reply #176 on: February 09, 2004, 11:05:56 PM »

I am really at a loss for words Panni. "Compassion" may be the one I want.  

A dear friend of mine is writing a book about compassion. He's been traveling all over the world, interviewing all sorts of people - including a man who's not only forgiven but befriended the murderer of his son; another man who donated his kidney to a total stranger. He's even done research on "compassion" among apes and other animals. It's truly a fascinating subject. And, thank goodness, there's more of it in the world than one would suspect. When the book comes out (next year probably) I'll let you know.

Panni

« Reply #177 on: February 09, 2004, 11:08:45 PM »

Panni, your life is DRAMA itself.

Everybody's life is DRAMA itself, bk. I just happen to write about it because that's what I do.

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #178 on: February 09, 2004, 11:08:50 PM »

I MUST STOP THE INSANITY!

I recently saw Susan Powter on the Wayne Brady show. She hasn't been in the public eye for quite a while and it was surprising to see her.

After she was introduced, she came onstage and within seconds was up on her feet speaking to the audience as she used to do at her seminars and in her infomercials. Meanwhile, Wayne (who knew he was losing control of the show) sits in shock. When Susan--still talking--moves out into the audience, Wayne slowly gets up from his chair and withers into the wings.

When he comes back, Susan is in his chair--still talking. Wayne sits in the guest's chair and, without saying a word, eventually curls up into the fetal position. Susan continues to talk then stands up and shouts "STOP THE INSANITY!"one last time and leaves the stage.

They go to commercial.

Like a whirlwind that woman is.

It was hilarious and, I'm certain, completely unrehearsed.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #179 on: February 09, 2004, 11:11:26 PM »

Dvd storage wouldn't be a problem...if it weren't for all the damned video tapes.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up