Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: SHAKING IT UP  (Read 26404 times)

FJL

Re:SHAKING IT UP
« Reply #210 on: January 04, 2007, 05:42:01 PM »

And one for Margo

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #211 on: January 04, 2007, 06:13:55 PM »

Dirty Dancing....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #212 on: January 04, 2007, 06:14:18 PM »

line dancing including the Tush Push
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #213 on: January 04, 2007, 06:19:35 PM »

I've been thinking about this 42ND STREET understudy-star plot and the Bradford Ropes novel on which it was based.  It may be the first example of the chorusgirl-goes-on-becomes-a-star cliche.  I cannot think of anything earlier in European and American storyline.  The classic European backstage novel is NANA, based on Offenbach star and star courtesan Hortense Schneider and her stage rival Leah Silly.  I also don't recall seeing listings for any standbys or understudies in any fin du siecle theatre program.  In 42ND STREET is Peggy actually her understudy or a chorus girl he pushes into going onstage?

Mary Orr's story "The Wisdom of Eve" is from the mid-1940s and based on a true incident from the life of actress Elisabeth Bergner.  I remember reading once Miss Orr's account of the Bergner incident, but I've forgotten it.

Boy, this is one more post that went to pieces as I slouch toward 7000.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #214 on: January 04, 2007, 06:20:05 PM »

How many of you have done any of these dances this morning?

I have done the twist, hustle, macarena, some moonwalking., two-stepping, dirty dancing, tush push and other linedancing.

What is the bristol stomp?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #215 on: January 04, 2007, 06:25:54 PM »

Great news, Dan the Man!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 07:20:59 PM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #216 on: January 04, 2007, 06:27:24 PM »

While no one may have actually pilfered the plot of 42nd Street, there are plenty of variations on the theme of "we-need-a-last minute-replacement-for-the-show."  SUMMER STOCK comes instantly to mind...I'm sure with a little thought I could come up with a few more.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #217 on: January 04, 2007, 06:29:13 PM »

I would like to learn how to do the swing! It looks fun.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #218 on: January 04, 2007, 06:31:38 PM »

I do know how to waltz and polka.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #219 on: January 04, 2007, 06:32:19 PM »

You'd have to be pretty old to remember how to do the Stomp.  The Bristol Stomp was a song by one of this Philly groups, The Dovells.  I think it was some sort of dance craze that started in Bristol, PA.  I couldn't tell you how it was down.  The Dovells had a follow-up called, I believe, Bristol Twisting Annie, which I guess tried to capitalize on two dances at once.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #220 on: January 04, 2007, 06:34:03 PM »

Jane Austen-

I have gotten into her books lately. I had read Pride and Prejudice years ago and recently re-read it and I am now reading Emma.

What version of Pride and PRejudice did you get Matt?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #221 on: January 04, 2007, 06:36:51 PM »

I wonder what awards should be given!
Most informative post.
Most useless post (We're probably all in the running).
Most egocentric post!
Best New poster!
Most blamed poster.  Nah! Only one contender.
Most typographical error posts. There maybe some competition there but Vixmom is a delightful front runner.
Most "adult" posts.

Tom I would like to ad

Freudian slips....
Actor/actress obsessed
Unique posts
Nature oriented poster

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #222 on: January 04, 2007, 06:39:16 PM »

Ben, lovely photo of you and dear companion, Anthony.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #223 on: January 04, 2007, 06:40:32 PM »

Ahhh. thanks for the information CP...

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #224 on: January 04, 2007, 06:40:42 PM »

Yep, there are a lot of variations of the understudy plot out there.  And the funny thing is that DR Elmore is right--Peggy Sawyer wasn't even Dorothy Brock's actual understudy.  She's just a chorine who's at the right place at the right time.  Julian Marsh didn't know her from Adam.

Here's another question:  why did Ginger Rogers abruptly change the lyric to "tummy" from "belly" (which would have followed the rhyme scheme) in "Shuffle Off To Buffalo"?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #225 on: January 04, 2007, 06:41:38 PM »

Great news Dan the man on your clean bill of health! Continued good health vibes...

Cillaliz

« Reply #226 on: January 04, 2007, 06:41:57 PM »

Tom I would like to ad

Freudian slips....
Actor/actress obsessed
Unique posts
Nature oriented poster

How about
the most posts that made you go "Huh?"

Charles Pogue

« Reply #227 on: January 04, 2007, 06:42:26 PM »

Interesting footnote about the Dovells.  They recorded an American version of a song by an English group.  But their record company dragged their feet and before it could be released, the English version came out.  A little ditty called She Loves You by a group called the Beatles.

...and thus goes the course of history, my children.  Now what would have happened to the Beatles, if the Dovells' version of She Loves You had been released over here first?  Would the mop-tops have become as popular as they did?  Who can say?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #228 on: January 04, 2007, 06:43:48 PM »

Good Evening!

Whew!  Walking around the streets of New York City is always fun, always adventure, but I tend to forget how tiring it can be at times.  It feels so good to be sitting down right now.  :)

*However, it was great walking around midtown and "discovering" that most of the store Christmas decorations were still up.  Some beautiful windows and lights to look at.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #229 on: January 04, 2007, 06:45:20 PM »

As for the "understudy turned star" scenario...

"Christine Daee can sing it..."

*And in a lower key.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #230 on: January 04, 2007, 06:47:22 PM »

DR George that is an interesting question re: MEDIUM and how they portray the kids.  I am now also curious if the real alison dubois has kids and what their abilities might be. I think my dad has her book so i may take a look at it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #231 on: January 04, 2007, 06:49:42 PM »

Peggy Sawyer was indeed in the chorus and not an understudy....but she had five whole hours to learn the lines, songs, and dances.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #232 on: January 04, 2007, 06:51:03 PM »

DR CP - many of said songs/dances and Mr Checker himself were all featured in last week's DON'T KNOCK THE TWIST.

And yes - thanks for mentioning Craig again, DR TOMovOZ....he was very good in IT'S TRAD, DAD....with - who else - Jew for Jesus, Ms Helen Shapiro.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #233 on: January 04, 2007, 06:51:33 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen, Merlin the Magnificent.  ;D

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #234 on: January 04, 2007, 06:52:18 PM »

I enjoyed last night's episode of Medium.  Good story, good mother daughter drama.

Does anyone know when The Closer is coming back on? They had a 2 hour special episode and then nada.

I had no idea there was a two hour special.  This show is usually on in the summer.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #235 on: January 04, 2007, 06:52:33 PM »

Jrand, sad to say, I miss that night of epics on TCM, had something to do with preparing for some do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #236 on: January 04, 2007, 06:53:28 PM »

Jrand, sad to say, I miss that night of epics on TCM, had something to do with preparing for some do.

LOL....well that Salome Twist will show up again someday, I have no doubt.

8)

Cillaliz

« Reply #237 on: January 04, 2007, 06:54:14 PM »

Merlin is beautiful
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 06:54:40 PM by Cillaliz »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #238 on: January 04, 2007, 06:54:50 PM »

There sure were a lot of lesbian couples on that train to Buffalo, weren't there?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #239 on: January 04, 2007, 06:56:11 PM »

Jennifer & Jose,
Thanks for the extra detail.  If USPS has them I missed it.  I didn’t get the other stamps last night since my hip was shouting at me to get up off the chair and move around.  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up