Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FLY  (Read 25842 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE FLY
« Reply #120 on: May 16, 2004, 05:22:15 PM »

Welcome six GUESTS.  We're having so much fun in here.  We're having a BLAST.  We're having merriment and mirth and laughter and legs.

I rest my case.

Next witness.

I've fully been expecting a stranger or two in chat for the last couple of weeks.  Maybe tonight's the night.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2004, 05:27:28 PM »

No, my grades still aren't posted. I know I passed, so it really isn't that big a deal. It's just that I worked myself stupid to get all that stuff ready by the deadlines and some of my teachers seem to be taking their time.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2004, 05:43:45 PM »

As this matter is being tried in a public court, may I say in my defence that people sometimes understand things that are said in a way they are not meant to be understood. This is not the fault of the speaker (me) or the listener (bk). It is, as the great Strother Martin once said, "A failuh to communicate."  I rest my case.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2004, 05:45:57 PM »

Next witness.

Chat in a mere fifteen minutes.

Robin

« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2004, 05:48:29 PM »

Which brings up a possible Topic we could discuss:
What movie did you see as a child or young adult that scarred you so much that the film still makes you uneasy today? (Now, to be fair, it doesn't have to be a horror film or a ghost story or a slasher movie.  Different movies can affect people different ways -- like ISHTAR)

It's really odd that this topic would come up today, because earlier this afternoon, I watched the deeveedee of Horrors of the Black Museum, a movie that has an opening scene that positively horrified me as an eight-year-old.  I hadn't seen the movie for at least twenty years, and that opening still made me more than a little queasy.  And I knew full well what was coming, and I still got pretty nervous about it.

A movie called The Hypnotic Eye also had a wallop of an opening scene.  I've not had the opportunity to see that movie in quite a long time, too.  

The Haunting.  I'm referring, of course, to the original version, not the unintentionally hilarious remake.  I dunno what it is about this movie that does it to me, but I find it unrelentingly, deliciously creepy.  For me, this is the gold standard of horror movies.  They just don't get better.  

I've never found a Friday the 13th-style slasher movie to be even remotely frightening.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2004, 05:51:30 PM »

Movie that gave me nightmares was HOMICIDAL...a dreary, violent little creeper in the aftermath of PSYCHO with a knife-stabbing cross-dresser. Ugly little movie from, I believe, William Castle.  I think it is another of his gave me a few restless nights as well... STRAIGHTJACKET with Dame Joan Crawford, no less.  Never been one for blades going into flesh or bodies being decapitated.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2004, 05:52:03 PM »

There was just one film that bothered me after I saw it on television, the original version of The Time Machine.  Not the Morloks, no, just a bit that took place much earlier in the film.

Remember when Rod Taylor was travelling into the future, stopping every once in a while?  And he stopped at one point, where an atomic war was about to begin?  For some reason, the date (August 18th, 1966) stuck with me, and I had trouble not thinking that what the film predicted would come true.

(By the way, is everyone absolutely sure the war didn't occur then, and we've been dreaming everything that's happened since?  Bwa-ha-ha-ha!)

(No, that's impossible.  NO ONE has enough imagination to create the world we're living in now.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2004, 05:52:19 PM »

OK, that piece of taffy was definitely root beer. Ew!
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2004, 05:54:55 PM »

Robin - of course, poor Benjamin Kritzer had the exact same reaction to Horrors, and he went running up the aisle and out the theater.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2004, 05:55:06 PM »

Chat in a mere five minutes.

Robin

« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2004, 05:55:19 PM »

(By the way, is everyone absolutely sure the war didn't occur then, and we've been dreaming everything that's happened since?  Bwa-ha-ha-ha!)

The world ended in August of 1999.  Both Nostradamus and Criswell said so, so it must be true.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2004, 05:55:42 PM »

Welcome ten GUESTS.  Should be interesting.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2004, 05:56:39 PM »

Time to get dinner started.  Hamburger Helper without the mix, made from scratch.  Don't know what I'll be putting in it yet, sort of depends on what we have on hand.

Although, since we have both crystalized ginger and saurkraut...nah, not a good idea, the crystalized ginger is too pricy, want to save that for something else.

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Robin

« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2004, 05:58:11 PM »

Robin - of course, poor Benjamin Kritzer had the exact same reaction to Horrors, and he went running up the aisle and out the theater.

One could hardly blame him.  I saw it on teevee...thank heavens for the commercial, or I wouldn't have calmed down enough to watch the rest of the movie.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2004, 05:59:46 PM »

As I mentioned last week and as per usual - the minute I mentioned ten GUESTS, suddenly there were eight GUESTS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2004, 06:00:11 PM »

Chat is open, get thy butt cheeks in there.  We are going to be telling tales and dishing dirt.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2004, 06:00:58 PM »

The world ended in August of 1999.  Both Nostradamus and Criswell said so, so it must be true.
Actually, as far as Criswell was concerned, he was only off by seventeen years.  (He died in 1982.)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2004, 06:03:57 PM »

Kim Criswell the wonderful singer is a prognosticator?? ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2004, 06:35:38 PM »

Chat is still going strong.  I have lasagna to eat so I left.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #139 on: May 16, 2004, 06:53:01 PM »

GO CHAT!!!  It's happening, man.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2004, 07:05:32 PM »

Chat was chatty. We dished, we dashed.

My floppy disk driver is driving me crazy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #141 on: May 16, 2004, 07:24:27 PM »

Thanks Tomovoz.  I don’t know about scarier, but Ben was definitely cuter.

Thank you Bruce.  The funny farm is a good place to be.

You don’t have to wait until Saturday to watch The Dick Van Dyke Show Revisited .  It will be on TVLAND Tuesday night at 6:00.

We are going to snuggle with the pets and watch KILL BILL. :)

Goodnight.

Panni

« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2004, 07:53:47 PM »

Just heard Placido Domingo in a fascinating interview. He was asked what performer he admired the most - in any discipline. He picked Frank Sinatra. Talked about his impeccable phrasing, the usual stuff. But then he said something really interesting. He pointed out the way the words just linger in the air after Sinatra has sung them.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2004, 08:00:52 PM »

The same thing has been said about Guy Haines.  I'm not sure it was "words" though, but something lingered in the air.

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2004, 08:08:46 PM »

Perhaps the "lingering" had something to do with Chinese Food in Bed.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2004, 08:14:06 PM »

Trying to decide on a movie - but am sort of not in a movie mood.  Maybe I'll catch up on some of my TIVOd stuff.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2004, 08:35:02 PM »

We have supped, and we have supped well.  I don't know what I did differently this time, but der Brucer really liked my "Hamburger Helper Without the Box" meal tonight.  Ground beef, browned and drained, a couple of bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic, Italian seasoning, a can each of crushed and diced tomatoes with their liquid, half a can of water, salt, pepper, a little Balsamic and a little sugar, and pasta, all simmered in the pan until the pasta was cooked.  Same as I usually do.  But for some reason he thought it was "better" tonight than my usual.

Shouldn't complain.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2004, 09:19:13 PM »

Well, not tp pour cold water, but I did not enjoy DICK VAN DYKE SHOW REVISITED. I thought everyone except possibly Carl Reiner was just a beat off hitting their perfect comedy timing. Dick looked good and I liked Ann Morgan Guilbert (Millie), but the crispness and spot-on timing and delivery just wasn't there. Totally understandable, of course, since it's been almost 40 years since they played these characters, but there it is. You can't go back.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: May 16, 2004, 09:43:11 PM »

My goodness, either my watch has stopped or this place is dead.

François de Paris

« Reply #149 on: May 16, 2004, 09:54:39 PM »

Yes, like the Wicked Witch, this place is dead, and only a French Early Bird could pay it a visit!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up