Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FLY  (Read 25847 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE FLY
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2004, 02:59:12 PM »

And one for Mahler.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2004, 02:59:26 PM »

And one for page four.

Tomovoz

« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2004, 03:19:44 PM »

Has DR Panni wished you all a "Gloomy Sunday". I need some Monday morning reading.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2004, 03:33:23 PM »

We have the non North American alliance on the board. Hello François.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2004, 04:00:10 PM »

DR Elmore, when you do the dance, try putting a space between the smilies and the moving brackets.  That always helps me.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 04:01:33 PM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2004, 04:02:54 PM »

GREASE was pretty bad.

Went to a buffet after and I ate way too much.

François de Paris

« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2004, 04:15:01 PM »

Dear Reader Jennifer,

I hope it was not greasy food!!

François de Paris

« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2004, 04:16:49 PM »

Oh, oh!

Canada's breaking the alliance :D

François de Paris

« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2004, 04:19:05 PM »

DR Elmore, when you do the dance, try putting a space between the smilies and the moving brackets.  That always helps me.

Gee! i did not know that dancing could be so ...coded! :o

François de Paris

« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2004, 04:22:51 PM »

Glide and Step, and then Step and Glide
And everyone stand aside!

Sad to dance all alone!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2004, 04:24:02 PM »

I sent DR Jane a PM which has just been answered. She's fine! As is Echo. They've just arrived home.

td - my cd player is warmed up and ready to go. I'll be waiting by the mailbox (well, I don't have a mailbox - so I'll be metaphorically waiting by the mailbox).

Michael

« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2004, 04:25:02 PM »

I got hired today to put a cabaret act together for a friend. Looking forward to doing it.
Never stop dreaming.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2004, 04:28:50 PM »

I was surfing this afternoon (yeah, right) channel surfing this afternoon, and I came upon an episode of Banacek on the Hallmark Channel.  When I originally saw that series, I thought it was so sharp and so clever (and Mr. Peppard, so hot), but the cleverness was a bit strained in this  episode.  Oh well, it had John Saxon, Cesar Romero, and Sue Anne Langdon so it couldn't be all bad.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

William E. Lurie

« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2004, 04:35:52 PM »

Before I forget, the new recording of FINE AND DANDY (with orchestrations by our own Elmore3003) is a must.  Even Mario Cantone can't spoil it and the rest of the cast is first rate.  The score is very good too, as are the four bonus tracks.

Too bad about Jana.  She was chosen the murder the night I saw DROOD.  Next time, though, I wish an article could be "cut and pasted" onto this here site.  I kept getting advertising windows from US News until I finally got to the article.

Too tired to get to "Godzilla".  I hope it will be held over.  However briefly...

The "New York Songs" at the Museum of the City of New York was quite entertaining and left plenty of songs for future editions.  However Phyllis Newman Green has lost her voice.  She was charming as the hostess but fortunately left most of the singing to the others.

From an historical standpoint it was great to see the 1917 Kern-Wodehouse-Bolton HAVE A HEART.  However this was one of the weakest casts I have ever seen at Musicals Tonight.  Most of them sang fine, but they either overacted or underacted and none of the cast had any stage presence.  But Kern could write great songs even then.

Part 1 of the Tony Highlights at the Museum of Television and Radio was great and I can't wait for part 2.  This covered from 1967-76 and featured none of the numbers on the recently released DVD/PBS special.  We did get a ten minute Merman tribute, the opening and closing of A CHORUS LINE, "Basketball" and "Turkey Lurkey" from PROMISES, Martin and Preston in I DO! I DO!, Ben Vereen and chorus doing "Magic To Do", and a lot more.  The only Sondheim was lyrics in the Merman tribute ("Roses") and the auditorium was less than half full.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 04:36:46 PM by William E. Lurie »
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2004, 04:36:24 PM »

I see a Jane.  Of course it was dear reader Panni who told me Jane was going home right after we breakfasted (or within a day or so) and that Echo was at death's door.  So, glad all is well - I thought Jane wasn't getting home until this weekend - serves me right for listening to others.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2004, 04:36:43 PM »

Which brings up a possible Topic we could discuss:

What movie did you see as a child or young adult that scarred you so much that the film still makes you uneasy today? (Now, to be fair, it doesn't have to be a horror film or a ghost story or a slasher movie.  Different movies can affect people different ways -- like ISHTAR)

When I was 7 or 8 years old, I saw "Beware! The Blob" (a.k.a. "Beware of the Blob," "Son of Blob" and "Son of the Blob" according to imdb.com) on TV late at night with a bunch of friends.  I could only watch a little bit of it.  After the Blob ate the fly, the little kitten and the wife, I was out of there.  Anyway, at the time, I used to sleep with my arm under my pillow with my hand sticking out at the top.  After seeing that movie, I believed that the Blob was under my bed and wanted to eat my hand.  Not all of me (a...famous song reference ::)), but just my hand.  I was so scared that I couldn't sleep that way any more.  I had to learn to sleep with my hand covered so that the Blob wouldn't get it.  It's the only time that I can remember that a movie affected me in such a powerful way.  Scary, huh? ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2004, 04:40:43 PM »

It's not an entire movie which gave me nightmares as a child -- it's a moment from a movie. I went through enough real horror as a young girl, not to seek out the make-believe kind, so I never watched scary movies. One day I was alone at home trying to find something to watch on TV. As I switched from channel to channel, I suddenly came across a scene from some old black and white horror film: A child was peacefully sleeping in a darkened room, the camera slowly pans over to the closet, the door is ajar... and the Wolfman (or some such creature) is watching him!  ...Well, let me tell you, for years after that before I could go to sleep I had to check to make sure the closet door was firmly closed - and of course that the Wolfman was not inside.

The other film which, as an adult, just touched some weird place inside me was CRIES AND WHISPERS. Don't ask me why, I don't know. Even thought the title suggests it, it's no horror film. But as I was sitting in the theater watching it, very involved, my heart suddenly started to beat so fast I thought it would burst right through my chest and i could hardly breathe. I tried to calm down, but couldn't and finally had to leave.

Panni

« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2004, 04:42:03 PM »

I agree that REPULSION is FRIGHTENING. I lived it when I was a young actress. During a season with the Stratford Children's Theater, I shared an old house in Stratford with the only other actress in the small company. I was between boyfriends, so to speak, so was quite at loose ends. She, on the other hand, had a Japanese boyfriend who would come from Toronto to Stratford on weekends to visit her. The walls were thin; the "visits" were loud. There was no rabbit rotting in the fridge, though. And although the hallways of the house were narrow, I did not quite get to the point where hands were reaching out of the wall to grope me as I walked by. However, if the season had been any longer, it may just have come to that...

Panni

« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2004, 04:48:25 PM »

Of course it was dear reader Panni who told me Jane was going home right after we breakfasted (or within a day or so) and that Echo was at death's door.  So, glad all is well - I thought Jane wasn't getting home until this weekend - serves me right for listening to others.

NO! NO! and NO! (That's three "no's" IN CAPS) I said that I THOUGHT DR Jane might be going home because Echo was not doing well. Which is what DR Jane told me as we stood on the street after our lovely breakfast... She said they MIGHT have to go home because Echo was not well. I hope that DR Jane will back me up on this so that I don't look like an alarmist to whom people should not listen. BTW - The sky is falling.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2004, 04:52:16 PM »

That is not the way it was put to me.  We mustn't rewrite history.  It wasn't couched in "she THOUGHT she might have to go home".  I rest my case.  Next witness.

Chat in a mere seventy minutes.

Tomovoz

« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2004, 04:53:48 PM »

I am more than likely to believe that the sky is indeed falling. Stranger things happen - people vote for Bush.
James Thurber 1957

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2004, 04:59:09 PM »

Panni thank you for posting I’m home while I read today’s posts.  We arrived home to a beautiful newly painted bedroom.  Now we need a new carpet and a bedspread that doesn’t clash with the walls. (Quick insert for Panni-the next paragraph, I had typed prior to reading your last post, will back you up).

Not only did our sitter paint our bedroom but he took great care of Echo and Bogie, allowing us to stay the entire time originally planned in LA and to have a more relaxing two day drive home.  Penny O, thank you for introducing us to Bill and for walking Echo while we were gone.  Echo is in better shape than when we left home.

Jennifer sorry you didn’t care of LOVE ACTUALY.

We had a delightful time at Du-Par’s.  It was great meeting Panni, Charles and the lovely wife, and of course seeing Bruce and Jay again.  Maybe next time we can go to Art’s Deli we hear is so good.  We can’t recall having been there but it hard to imagine we weren’t.  I believe it was there when we lived in the valley.

Michael Shayne if you travel across the U.S. be sure to stay at Mesa Verde if you have never been there.

TCB, thanks to the original THE FLY I had nightmares for years from the ending.  I was very nervous the sequel would have the same effect but thankfully it didn’t.  Since the original movie Keith has dragged me to so many scary movies I can tolerate them and even enjoy them now.  WILLARD was one I did not tolerate or enjoy.

For weeks after watching THE BIRDS I recall jumping every time a bird chirped near me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2004, 05:07:27 PM »

Is Michael Jackson scarier than Willard or Ben? I have not seen either movie.
Welcome home Jane. So pleased to hear that Echo is somewhat better.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2004, 05:08:17 PM »

Any GOOD news Sandra?
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2004, 05:11:25 PM »

It's always a brighter day when dear reader Jane is back amongst us at the funny farm.  

I'm sure Jane said exactly what Panni is NOW saying, but that was not how it was said to me earlier this day.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2004, 05:11:38 PM »

Chat in a mere forty-nine minutes.

François de Paris

« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2004, 05:14:54 PM »

Do you mean Bushmen in your land, Dear Reader Tomovoz????

Chicken Little told me that the sky is falling so I believe it!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: May 16, 2004, 05:19:29 PM »

Before I forget, the new recording of FINE AND DANDY (with orchestrations by our own Elmore3003) is a must.  Even Mario Cantone can't spoil it and the rest of the cast is first rate.  The score is very good too, as are the four bonus tracks.

I'm glad  to hear it's a must.  I'm thoroughly pissed because PS Classics told me I'd been sent a copy, which hasn't arrived yet, after I'd ordered two, which haven't arrived!  One thing about working for Dear Friend BK, the cast, the orchestra, and I got it as soon as copies crossed his desk!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2004, 05:20:03 PM »

Chat in a mere forty minutes.

Tomovoz

« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2004, 05:20:52 PM »

I could of course be referring to both Bush men DR François. The term is not used in OZ - and I was not referring to the Bushmen of the Kalahari desert either.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up