Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE COLLECTOR  (Read 26281 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re: THE COLLECTOR
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2009, 09:24:47 AM »

...We are prisoners of our possessions.  Just think of how free we would all be without them....

Free, yes, but our posessions may be part of what makes a home, as opposed to just a place where we live.

A home is where we keep our things, whether they are a specific collection or just what we've collected around ourselves.  This is where they are on display, or put away safely for use later.  This is where we coccoon ourselves, warming ourselves both physically and emotionally.

A home is where we collect our dishes, our bedding, our clothes.  It is where we collect the items that we treasure, things we don't want to forget.  It is where we collect our friends for our celebrations, and where they come to comfort us in our times of sorrow.

Dang, I'm poetic today, ain't I!!!

Isn't that what we call "baggage"?

::)

I've had to think on this one for a bit.  It's the difference in words that counts.

We collect the things we love.

"Baggage" is more like the rotten stuff... which we make everyone else carry for us.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DAW

« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2009, 09:25:32 AM »

By the way, DR JoseSPiano, did you see that Ms. Tindall's college professor repudiates her behavior in an Amazon reader review of her book?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 09:28:38 AM by DAW »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2009, 09:25:51 AM »

Thanks for the input on the book, DR JoseSPiano.  I guess I'll give it a try.  Despite the restraining order.  :)

You're welcome. You can always put it down - and pick it back up later. Or not.

*If that picture is of their current roster of singers

That I do not know.  They seem to have had a much higher rate of "turnover" in recent years than they used to.  And as for tonight's program - I don't know the answer that, either.   :-\

Yes, there has been a lot of turnover in the recent years, and from the biography listings on their website, it looks they a few more of singers in their debut season this year.

I'm also surprised that their website doesn't list the program info. It used to.  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2009, 09:27:40 AM »

OMG!!!

So... The daytime version of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" just came on, and, lo and behold, the second contestant to come on is Ethyl Will.  A Broadway Musician! -And Fellow Pit Pianist!

I guess it really is a Full Circle type of day.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2009, 09:28:13 AM »

By the way, DR JoseSPiano, did you see that Ms. Tindall's college professor repudiates her behavior in an Amazon reader review of her book?

Ah... I hadn't gotten to the Amazon reviews. Yet.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2009, 09:32:22 AM »

DR Jennifer, I guess your niece thought you were her mother ;

It's funny that you said that because she did. Not sure why, but it was just so cute when she opened her eyes for the first time. I'd say that, and when she just gets out of the bath are her cutest times.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2009, 09:33:12 AM »

I am watching Ethyl!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2009, 09:33:32 AM »

OH! I thought the review was going to be by one of her journalism teachers at Stanford... It was her college oboe professor!  And I know him too!  OY!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2009, 09:34:46 AM »

OK - In the immortals words of DR MattH:

Now I'm really going!

And, once again, in my own immortal words:

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »

...And I know him too!  OY!

How well, dare we ask?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »

I collect books.  Also photos, posters, etc for particular performers....I.E. - Allison Hayes (first photo purchased for 50 cents in 1964) and Frances Farmer (first photo sent to me in 1963 by HERSELF).

Carroll Baker and John Saxon are a couple of others I have some books of photos on.   At DR MBARNUM's suggestion (I probably would have never thought of it) - I bought a few 3 Ring Binders,  put the photos is sheet protectors, and now my collection is much easier to look at.

Playbills - DR JOSE sends me NYC paper regularly and it is most appreciated.  I also have programs from the touring shows and also shows I have been in or worked on.....mostly in alphabetical order in a file cabinet in the closet.

A bit of art - I have a Helen Frankenthaler print from her exhibition at the Whitney in 1969.  It is framed under heavy glass and is movie poster sized....very nice piece....purchased at the Amvets Thrift Store for $7.99.

Books, movies, cd's - too many of course.   But since I haven't moved since 1971, it hasn't become burdensome - YET.  When I go there will be a big wake and yard sale!

Best Book Buy - First Edition Atlas Shrugged - $50 less the 30% discount card I had - and paid for with a $125 gift certificate to Half Price Books that I had received for correctly guessing three movie related music snippets on a local radio station.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2009, 09:40:18 AM »

Mozart in the Jungle....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2009, 09:41:04 AM »

Ethyl is phoning a friend.

DAW

« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2009, 09:47:08 AM »

Ethyl is phoning a friend.

Perhaps it is our very own DR JoseSPiano!!   :D

I wonder who will play him in the Slumdog sequel??

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2009, 09:49:21 AM »

As it's a given that my next house will be smaller than my last one

*IF* you ever decide to leave Florida for L.A.          ;)

Perhaps I should explain. My Florida sojourn was never intended to be more than a brief stop. What happened was this: I have been receiving a series of medical treatments here. The doctor here is far more experienced in "my" ailments than the others I had seen in Virginia and immediately told me that the condition was considerably more advanced than I knew. Thus, we have had add to deal with some additional issues. Hence the delay. All is fixable, according to the new doc. I am trying to do all I can with her while here.

Are one or two of our DRs experiencing some "Florida envy"?   ;)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2009, 09:50:09 AM »

Ethyl is continued tomorrow.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2009, 09:50:41 AM »

And now I am off to my treatment.

TTFN.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2009, 09:50:58 AM »

Vibes for DR Jeanne - niece of Eddie Fitzgerald who knew Gale Storm from horn to hoof!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2009, 09:52:19 AM »

I don't dislike the redheads on TAR - in fact they were very good last night.  I guess I mean to say, of the teams left, they are my next least favorite.....Victor and his Sister are my least favorites.  I hope for another Victor meltdown in the next week or so.

DAW

« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2009, 09:54:11 AM »

***HEALTH AND ULTRA-STRENGH RECOVERY VIBES***
for DR Jeanne!!!!!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2009, 09:54:47 AM »

I almost bought the 2-disk QUANTUM OF SOLACE dvd.....but I think I will wait until I can get it for $10 at Blockbuster....in a few months.

MBarnum

« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2009, 10:08:04 AM »

I don't really have any favorites on TAR at the moment, all the teams I liked got booted off early.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2009, 10:10:53 AM »

I don't really have any favorites on TAR at the moment, all the teams I liked got booted off early.

Well yes any male with definition is gone - that's for sure. 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2009, 10:14:55 AM »

Mikey, have you seen any non-regional blu-ray DVD player advertised?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2009, 10:20:55 AM »

TOD:

I began collection movie material when I was in 8th grade. My first items were lobby cards from ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE and ATTACK OF THE 50 FT WOMAN. I bought them through the mail from a dealer who advertised in some movie magazine. I didn't even know what a lobby card was. They were $3 a piece.

Over the years I collected many, many posters, lobby cards, pressbooks, and stills from B films of the 1950s. In recent years I decided to pare down my collection to mainly stills and press books, and collect only on a handful of performers, rather then all of my favorites. I sold off a lot of posters and lobby cards for a very nice profit (which funded a Los Angeles and a NY trip).

For a time in the 1990s I collected personally signed and through the mail signed autographs which I would never part with.

When I discoverd Ebay I began collected Gumby items, but ended up selling a lot of it, with the rest boxed up in the garage.

Old paperback books are another collection I have enjoyed over the years. The cover graphics are so beautiful. Alas, I have developed an allergy to them and now they are all boxed up. I have yet to decide what to do with them.

My latest collection is Bollywood movie material.

I am very, very grateful to Ebay...it has only enhanced my collections and brought to me things I would never have been able to find.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2009, 10:22:14 AM »

I've been printing orders for the last hour!  So, I'm up.  So, I need to do the long jog.

MBarnum

« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2009, 10:24:27 AM »

[
Mikey, have you seen any non-regional blu-ray DVD player advertised?

Do a google search Elmore, there are plenty of them for sale including at 220 Electronics, where I think you bought your previous region free machine.  http://www.220-electronics.com/dvd/dvdorig.htm

I haven't really done any looking for one myself, as no movies of interest to me have been released on Blue Ray.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 10:26:02 AM by MBarnum »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2009, 10:32:23 AM »

I am most excited about the ILLYA DARLING cd release.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2009, 10:38:54 AM »

Anyone with Playbills and programs - if you have a local theatre company doing a production of one of the shows, they might like to have them for a lobby display.....or even your whole collection for one reason or another.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2009, 10:44:59 AM »

I don't dislike the redheads on TAR - in fact they were very good last night.  I guess I mean to say, of the teams left, they are my next least favorite.....Victor and his Sister are my least favorites.  I hope for another Victor meltdown in the next week or so.

I was never crazy about Tammy and Victor but the India episode sealed the deal.  Of all the teams, they appeared to be not at all effected by their surroundings.  Everyone else expressed some feelings about the poverty they saw, but I don't recall any such comment from T & V.  Again, it could just be editing.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up