Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: KIMMEL ON KINDLE  (Read 21872 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: KIMMEL ON KINDLE
« Reply #120 on: February 23, 2010, 12:48:53 PM »

DR DRUXY -- all of that AND a drunk Doug McClure.

Priceless....and yes the reactions of Mr G. and Mr. M. were great!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

td

• td
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2010, 12:49:39 PM »

DR JANE, I don't know from THE LOST CITY. . .is it the one by Henry Shukman?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2010, 12:52:59 PM »

Speaking of checking things out - I highly recommend

"The Glass Castle - A Memoir" by Jeannette Walls

Wonderful memoir.  A fun memoir is  "Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of Botswana Safari Guide" by Peter Allison.

Did you ever read THE BRIDGE by Doug Marlette.?

Jane

« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2010, 12:54:48 PM »

DR JANE, I don't know from THE LOST CITY. . .is it the one by Henry Shukman?

Probably.  I misplaced the page I had on it.  I think the description fits.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2010, 12:56:54 PM »

There's a rumor that Amazon is going to give free Kindles to Amazon Prime subscribers.  I don't know if that means it would be a gift for new subscribers only or to anyone who already subscribes.

And, where did you hear this rumor?

::)

Um, here...

...here...

...here...

...and here...

... and here...

::)

Good lord...they're everywhere!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2010, 12:57:02 PM »

Wonderful memoir.  A fun memoir is  "Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of Botswana Safari Guide" by Peter Allison.

I haven't read "The Bridge", and at the moment it's not available for the Kindle  :(

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2010, 12:57:30 PM »

I, for one, am a Prime subscriber who would LOVE to have a Kindle.  And, yes, I'd use it.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2010, 01:04:52 PM »

TOD:

I love my Kindle!  I also love books.  But I don't have to own a hardcopy of every single book that I want to read--my bookshelves are already packed and overflowing.  The Kindle can hold thousands of books, plus anything I purchase through the Kindle bookstore is stored in my Amazon Digital Locker (or whatever it's called) and I can download them whenever I need to.  If I come across a book elsewhere that's in pdf form, I can e-mail it to Amazon and they will convert it to the Kindle format. 

The Kindle is lightweight, so reading something like that last Stephen King book was not also a weightlifting experience. And the screen is completely readable in all kinds of light.  I regularly read from my Kindle on the beach during the summer. (I do wish that it had a back light for bedtime reading, but it seems they are concerned with battery life.  I get around this by using a clip-on light.)  The unit is also durable--I've dropped it a number of times with no ill effect....

A woman that I work with had a Kindle and hers dropped from her kitchen table.  A corner hit the ground just right and cracked the screen...totally ruined.  And I guess you can't even get any kind of insurance like you can with cell phones.  She was out the $300. :P

On the other hand, if it had been a Steuben crystal vase, it would have been the same result and she would have been out $500, or thereabouts.   She should be happy it was her Kindle and not a Steuben crystal vase.

Jane

« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2010, 01:07:07 PM »

I haven't read "The Bridge", and at the moment it's not available for the Kindle  :(

It is a shame Kindle doesn't have it.  I highly suggest finding the book & reading it. 

Jane

« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2010, 01:09:09 PM »

If I don't go do my exercises (I've never been this late) it will be time to do them again without much of a break.  My upper arm felt locked after walking so I've been procrastinating.  Usually I do them before I walk, however today I wanted to beat the rain, and I did.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2010, 01:15:52 PM »

DR DRUXY -- all of that AND a drunk Doug McClure.

Priceless....and yes the reactions of Mr G. and Mr. M. were great!

That's my gift to you folks, a thank you for all the happy birthdays.
You can dream…or you can do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2010, 01:18:55 PM »

So for the ice dancing last night, none of you guys would cheer for the US pair to win if you liked another team's performance better?

Maybe it's because we don't have that many gold medalists here.  But it is a huge deal for us to be going for a gold medal.

I can tell you now that I will ALWAYS pull for the best set of performances to win no matter the country. Believe you me, I can go all the way back to John Curry and Robin Cousins in 1976 and 1980, both British national champions, who I was pulling for. No one skated as beautifully as they did and yet had all the athletic moves as well. Of course, you want your own countrymen to do well, but when the clearly better skaters come from elsewhere, I'll not let national pride blind me to who's good and who isn't.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2010, 01:23:42 PM »

Ron I really don’t remember why I was surprised Hamilton won.  Maybe I did prefer Orsers skate, it is just a vague memory.  I knew who Hamilton was.  In fact when we lived in Massachusetts his cousin was a neighbor. She was also very athletic & taught the best, as in most fun, aerobics class I ever took.  By the ’84 Olympics we had left Massachusetts & lived in Pennsylvania.  The boys were at an age that kept me very busy with less time to focus on the Olympics.

I'm sure part of it was that you only got to see the final long program skate (They didn't often broadcast the figures and usually gave oly highlights of the short programs. Scott always did well in the compulseries). Scott had a MISERABLE long program at the 1984 Olympics. He only won because of his solid scores in the two previous rounds that very few if any got to see. Judging solely on the basis of what was broadcast, Orser was the clear winner. But black then, the figures were worth 40%, the short program 20%, and the long progam 40%. So, you could have a lousy free skate and if you did well before it, you could still win. Hard to do that now.

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2010, 01:27:01 PM »

I finished (finally) the episode of SPARTACUS that I had been watching for two days in little bits. Violent again (not as bad as last week's show) but definitely moving the story along. I knew they had to do something to get Spartacus back in the people's favor.

Matt H.

« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2010, 01:28:16 PM »

As I ate lunch, I watched last night's DAMAGES. Another wonderful episode and a new love interest for Ellen which was nice to see. More surprises, too, including a surprise murder.

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2010, 01:30:27 PM »

No UPS deliveries, so I did have another day off.

I began with THE PRINCESS BRIDE on Blu-ray. Looked nice (but not reference quality). Sound was DTS-HD MA and OK but nothing exceptional. Movie was very fun as it has always been.

Mandy Patinkin looked the best in this that he has ever looked. Wonder if he ever played the lead in THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE? With his voice and that build, he certainly could have.

Matt H.

« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2010, 01:31:15 PM »

Then I watched some SUPERMAN episodes. I began with "Czar of the Underworld" which takes place on a movie set in Hollywood.

Matt H.

« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2010, 01:32:02 PM »

Then came "Ghost Wolf" about a "werewolf" in the timber regions of Oregon. I always liked this episode, too. Was spooky to me as a kid.

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2010, 01:32:52 PM »

Then I watched part II of "The Unknown People" adapted from the feature film. Jeff Corey looked so young in this.

Matt H.

« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2010, 01:33:36 PM »

I looked at the featurette on the making of the first season, too. One of the speakers was the author of SUPERMAN FROM SERIAL TO CEREAL. Jack Larson was there, too, of course.

Matt H.

« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2010, 01:34:05 PM »

I skimmed through today's ONE LIFE TO LIVE. The boys weren't on so I wasn't interested.

Matt H.

« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2010, 01:34:56 PM »

Luke and Dr. Pill were on AS THE WORLD TURNS, and it was pretty good, the first time he's been halfway civil to Luke (kind of). Still a lotof snark there though.

Matt H.

« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2010, 01:36:09 PM »

When I finished with those, THE STING was playing on one of the HBO-HD channels, and I watched about 20 minutes of it. I have it on HD-DVD, and I might just pull that out and watch it tonight before LOST comes on.

Or, I might watch L.A. CONFIDENTIAL on Blu-ray. Would like to see it again, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2010, 01:51:55 PM »

There's a great interview with U.S. champion Rachael Flatt at this link. There is one 17-year old with a great head on her shoulders.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Figure-Skater-Rachael-1015316.aspx

Matt H.

« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2010, 02:36:54 PM »

I'm going to close up shop in the office and head downstairs to see what things I can find to watch until I check in with LOST "live."

WBBL.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #145 on: February 23, 2010, 02:56:43 PM »

Something has been nagging at me as a bit of unfinished business here at HainesHisWay.com.

Couldn't figure it out....why I don't know.

But now I know!

Jane

« Reply #146 on: February 23, 2010, 03:00:26 PM »

Ron I really don’t remember why I was surprised Hamilton won.  Maybe I did prefer Orsers skate, it is just a vague memory.  I knew who Hamilton was.  In fact when we lived in Massachusetts his cousin was a neighbor. She was also very athletic & taught the best, as in most fun, aerobics class I ever took.  By the ’84 Olympics we had left Massachusetts & lived in Pennsylvania.  The boys were at an age that kept me very busy with less time to focus on the Olympics.

I'm sure part of it was that you only got to see the final long program skate (They didn't often broadcast the figures and usually gave oly highlights of the short programs. Scott always did well in the compulseries). Scott had a MISERABLE long program at the 1984 Olympics. He only won because of his solid scores in the two previous rounds that very few if any got to see. Judging solely on the basis of what was broadcast, Orser was the clear winner. But black then, the figures were worth 40%, the short program 20%, and the long progam 40%. So, you could have a lousy free skate and if you did well before it, you could still win. Hard to do that now.

Thank you.  I knew you could explain it.  It is nice to have my memory confirmed.  I remember not watching the short programs, not that they weren't shown being the reason for not watching.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #147 on: February 23, 2010, 03:03:03 PM »

Happy Birthday, DR Druxy!  May you have many happy returns of the day!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2010, 03:13:36 PM »

No UPS deliveries, so I did have another day off.

I began with THE PRINCESS BRIDE on Blu-ray. Looked nice (but not reference quality). Sound was DTS-HD MA and OK but nothing exceptional. Movie was very fun as it has always been.

Mandy Patinkin looked the best in this that he has ever looked. Wonder if he ever played the lead in THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE? With his voice and that build, he certainly could have.
He would have made a great Mabel. I can just hear him singing "Poor Wandering One."
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2010, 03:19:20 PM »

happy, happy, DR Druxy. Glad the snow stayed in Austin and didn't get this far south. We only had slush.

TOD: I don't have a Kindle and I do have 20 bookcases or more in house with books overflowing onto the floor in stacks. And I've actually read about half of them and use many more as reference.

That said, I wouldn't mind having one (though I'd probably prefer the Nook since I worked at Barnes & Noble and am a little more familiar with it). I love reading 19th century novels, particularly Anthony Trollope at this point. I can't find two of his for less than $25 a copy, and for badly worn paperbacks at that. Yet both are available electronically for 99 cents apiece. So, I may have to do that if I finish the rest of his books before I find decent, affordable copies.

I can also see using an e-reader for plane trips and for heavier-than-necessary works, like the new Stephen King. But I also have a friend who says she doesn't absorb as much from a book when she reads it on her Kindle as she does when she has a copy in her hand.

So, it's a toss-up, but probably an inevitability, especially for those of us searching for out-of-print books.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up