Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: KIMMEL ON KINDLE  (Read 21806 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: KIMMEL ON KINDLE
« Reply #150 on: February 23, 2010, 03:26:42 PM »

Back for but a moment as I must go eat.  We only had four no-shows today, so that was better than usual.  Some good people, and I do believe we've found our young leading lady - the actress just came in and sang a perfect song and did a perfect reading.  Funnily, she's the only one with Broadway credits.  She's coming to do our private reading on Friday night, and I suspect she'll be told then that the role is hers.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #151 on: February 23, 2010, 03:34:32 PM »

happy, happy, DR Druxy. Glad the snow stayed in Austin and didn't get this far south. We only had slush.

TOD: I don't have a Kindle and I do have 20 bookcases or more in house with books overflowing onto the floor in stacks. And I've actually read about half of them and use many more as reference.

That said, I wouldn't mind having one (though I'd probably prefer the Nook since I worked at Barnes & Noble and am a little more familiar with it). I love reading 19th century novels, particularly Anthony Trollope at this point. I can't find two of his for less than $25 a copy, and for badly worn paperbacks at that. Yet both are available electronically for 99 cents apiece. So, I may have to do that if I finish the rest of his books before I find decent, affordable copies.

I can also see using an e-reader for plane trips and for heavier-than-necessary works, like the new Stephen King. But I also have a friend who says she doesn't absorb as much from a book when she reads it on her Kindle as she does when she has a copy in her hand.

So, it's a toss-up, but probably an inevitability, especially for those of us searching for out-of-print books.

It's almost like the difference between buying a CD versus downloading the tracks.  I very muchly prefer to have the actual CD, mainly because of the artwork and liner notes.  When you download something from iTunes or Amazon (or anywhere else, I suppose), you RARELY get an electronic booklet.  However, I have replaced a few of my stolen CDs with iTunes or Amazon downloads when physical CDs are much, much, MUCH (that's three muches) too expensive.  I can make a simple booklet with at least the cover art and track list so that I have something to hold. 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #152 on: February 23, 2010, 04:01:02 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR DRUXY!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #153 on: February 23, 2010, 04:19:38 PM »

So for the ice dancing last night, none of you guys would cheer for the US pair to win if you liked another team's performance better?

Maybe it's because we don't have that many gold medalists here.  But it is a huge deal for us to be going for a gold medal.

I can tell you now that I will ALWAYS pull for the best set of performances to win no matter the country. Believe you me, I can go all the way back to John Curry and Robin Cousins in 1976 and 1980, both British national champions, who I was pulling for. No one skated as beautifully as they did and yet had all the athletic moves as well. Of course, you want your own countrymen to do well, but when the clearly better skaters come from elsewhere, I'll not let national pride blind me to who's good and who isn't.

I wonder if most Americans feel this way.  Anyways most Olympic sports aren't judged, so it's obvious who comes in first place.

I could see wanting another country's skater to win if they are clearly better. But often times it's subjective. Some people preferred the american ice dancers, some preferred the canadians. Even in men's figure skating some people thought plenshenko was better.

I actually suspect that most Americans would root for the American. But i know at least in canada we don't win that many medals. So maybe it makes us root for our countrymen more.

Jennifer

« Reply #154 on: February 23, 2010, 04:20:27 PM »

Tonight on tv we have women's figure skating, LOST, and AMERICAN IDOL.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #155 on: February 23, 2010, 04:24:20 PM »

I bought my Kindle last Fall and I absolutely love it.  I took it with me to Europe and it was great.  I managed to take 12 books (including the complete Sherlock Holmes and the complete works of Jules Verne) in the side pocket of my carry-on, and it weighed a little less than one pound.

In addition, if I hear about a new book I want to read, or if I find out that a favorite author has a book I hadn't heard of before; I can have the book delivered to my Kindle in less than 60 seconds.  And in makes reading in bed much more comfortable; at least for me personally.
“One thing’s universal,

Jennifer

« Reply #156 on: February 23, 2010, 04:35:27 PM »

DR Cillaliz, I"m not sure if you and your mother have specific favorite pros on DANCING WITH THE STARS.

But it looks like the show has decided not to have some favorites: Lacey, Karina and jonathan won't be back (very unhappy about the first two). It looks like Cheryl, Chelsie, Edyta, Derek, Mark, Tony,  Maks, Tony and some guy named damian are back too. I guess they are gonna be very heavy on female celebs this year. I don't like that idea.

MBarnum

« Reply #157 on: February 23, 2010, 04:35:38 PM »

So for the ice dancing last night, none of you guys would cheer for the US pair to win if you liked another team's performance better?

Maybe it's because we don't have that many gold medalists here.  But it is a huge deal for us to be going for a gold medal.

I can tell you now that I will ALWAYS pull for the best set of performances to win no matter the country. Believe you me, I can go all the way back to John Curry and Robin Cousins in 1976 and 1980, both British national champions, who I was pulling for. No one skated as beautifully as they did and yet had all the athletic moves as well. Of course, you want your own countrymen to do well, but when the clearly better skaters come from elsewhere, I'll not let national pride blind me to who's good and who isn't.

I always root for Japan and Iceland.  Same goes for the Miss Universe pagent. If they aren't in it, I don't watch.

;)

MBarnum

« Reply #158 on: February 23, 2010, 04:36:31 PM »

Hey, ROOM 222 season 2 is now available for those who care.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #159 on: February 23, 2010, 04:38:24 PM »

I think a lot of us who are against kindle have never tried it.  The idea just sounds like something we wouldn't like.  To me it seems like it would lose a lot of the excitement of having a real book in your hands.

But it would be interesting if everyone could actually try it and then comment. 

I also agree with Dan the Man about space.  I have three bookcases in my apartment, and they are all full  I am running out of space to stack books.

I still love books.  And I doubt I will ever use my Kindle for reading the Bible.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #160 on: February 23, 2010, 04:41:50 PM »

I go back and forth on the Kindle.  I have looked at other "readers" in stores and while I think they are cool. But, after spending a good portion of the day looking at computers for work and enjoyment, I like reading off of paper.   I also can see getting to the best part of a book and having the batteries die.  THat would be my luck

You don't have batteries.  You charge it like a cell phone.  I only need to charge my Kindle maybe once a week, and it only takes about a half hour.  And yes, I can continue to read while it is charging.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #161 on: February 23, 2010, 04:51:10 PM »

There's a rumor that Amazon is going to give free Kindles to Amazon Prime subscribers.  I don't know if that means it would be a gift for new subscribers only or to anyone who already subscribes.

No, I think that Bill Gates is going to give everyone a Kindle if they each forward this message to twenty people.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #162 on: February 23, 2010, 04:54:41 PM »

Back from food and thankfully remembered I have to be at Grant's in two hours.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2010, 05:22:54 PM »

By the by, BK, I forgot to mention I love the title!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2010, 05:43:20 PM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I allowed - well, more like forced myself - to sleep in an extra two hours.  And, boy, am I glad I did.  My body - and sinuses! - needed that extra sleep.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2010, 05:44:10 PM »

Good Afternoon!

It's raining in New York City.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #166 on: February 23, 2010, 05:45:21 PM »

Good Evening!

I started to catch up on HHW a few hours ago... And then I realized I had taken an impromptu nap... But naps are good, and I guess my body just needed that extra bit of rest.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #167 on: February 23, 2010, 05:45:28 PM »

And now....
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #168 on: February 23, 2010, 05:45:43 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR DRUXY!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2010, 05:46:57 PM »

For those DRs whole are following the Figure Skating, here's a great interactive feature from The New York Times:

The Moves They Don't Want You To See
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2010, 05:49:12 PM »

bk - Great title.  -And, I'm guessing after some of the conversations we've had, you could have added another "name" to that sequence. -But, I'm also guessing that the title is more or less a quote. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #171 on: February 23, 2010, 05:53:07 PM »

As for the Kindle...

Since I'm not a "constant" reader, the Kindle (and/or Nook and/or...) has no "immediate" appeal to me.  However, if I were to receive one as a gift, I would definitely not return it. ;)

*I do have the complete works of Shakespeare (FREE) and the "Stanza" (FREE) and "Kindle" (FREE) apps on my iPhone for those extra long subway rides.  -Yes, there are a bunch of FREE titles out there.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #172 on: February 23, 2010, 05:56:13 PM »

DR Jennifer - What DR MattH just said.  Sometimes "our" team is clearly not the best team out there.  That's not to say that we wouldn't be happy if they won, but sometimes it's very clear when the odds are stacked against them.  -Even the commentators frequently remark, "Come the next Olympics, they will be true contendors...".

"Good" is not determined by what country you're from.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2010, 05:59:58 PM »

DR Jennifer - And since I happen to know a skating instructor - Orser's skate is used to show how certain jumps and elements are supposed to be done - and, consequently, judged.  It is NOT used to show what will win a competition.  Basically, it's a "textbook" skate - which is a good thing.  -Again, take the "country" out of it. It's just about the skating.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2010, 06:01:04 PM »

I go back and forth on the Kindle.  I have looked at other "readers" in stores and while I think they are cool. But, after spending a good portion of the day looking at computers for work and enjoyment, I like reading off of paper.   I also can see getting to the best part of a book and having the batteries die.  THat would be my luck

You don't have batteries.  You charge it like a cell phone.  I only need to charge my Kindle maybe once a week, and it only takes about a half hour.  And yes, I can continue to read while it is charging.

lol, i'm thinking how often my cell phone charge as almost run out & i've had to turn it off.  How many hours of reading do you do in a week?  On a sleepless night i can read for 5-6 hours.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #175 on: February 23, 2010, 06:03:33 PM »

There's a rumor that Amazon is going to give free Kindles to Amazon Prime subscribers.  I don't know if that means it would be a gift for new subscribers only or to anyone who already subscribes.

And, where did you hear this rumor?

::)

Well, if Google could give out free Nexus One phones to all the attendees at the recent TED conference, anything is possible.  -And, yes, it has been rumored about quite a bit.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #176 on: February 23, 2010, 06:04:24 PM »

since I happen to know a skating instructor - Orser's skate is used to show how certain jumps and elements are supposed to be done - and, consequently, judged.   Basically, it's a "textbook" skate - which is a good thing. 

Thank you! :)

Jane

« Reply #177 on: February 23, 2010, 06:07:14 PM »

As for the Kindle...

Since I'm not a "constant" reader, the Kindle (and/or Nook and/or...) has no "immediate" appeal to me.  However, if I were to receive one as a gift, I would definitely not return it. ;)

*I do have the complete works of Shakespeare (FREE) and the "Stanza" (FREE) and "Kindle" (FREE) apps on my iPhone for those extra long subway rides.  -Yes, there are a bunch of FREE titles out there.

Keith has an iPhone.  I didn't know he could download books.  That would be great when we travel, then I only have to carry my books, not his.  He only takes one on a flight while I usually carry 2 books or more.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: February 23, 2010, 06:07:57 PM »

By the by, BK, I forgot to mention I love the title!

Yay!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: February 23, 2010, 06:08:52 PM »

bk - Great title.  -And, I'm guessing after some of the conversations we've had, you could have added another "name" to that sequence. -But, I'm also guessing that the title is more or less a quote. ;)

It is indeed a quote, as you'll find out in the book.  I went back and forth about whether to included the quote marks in the title treatment, and we decided to do so.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up