Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TOWERING NOTES  (Read 17707 times)

TPunk

• Crapballs!
Re:THE TOWERING NOTES
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2006, 11:32:05 AM »

Forgot that The Tony Nominaitons were out. (Really don't care) I am glad however that Judy Kaye was nominated. I saw her in the play and she was wonderful. I don't know about the other nominees but she really deserved the nomination.

Interesting The Caine Mutiny Court Marshall received only 1 nomination. It posted its closing notice right away. Did the producers really think multiple nomiantions would keep the show open? They probably would incure more loses.

Tarzan received 1 nomination (didn't know it opened) and Lestat only 2. Could this mean that they also will close soon?

Despite the millions I presume spent on pushing these two musicals for awards they basically walked away empty handed.

There is no chance of Tarzan announcing their closing.  I know they have advance sales up the wazoo and I'm sure they'll be fine for quite a while.  Aida only got a few noms, missed getting a best show nomination and ran for four years on the power of the mouse.  Lestat is another story.  It may run through Labor Day, but probably not much longer.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2006, 11:33:13 AM »

I don't know about Lestat, our own Jose could speak to that point, but won't be closing Tarzan any time soon. Even though it got mediocre reviews and one Tony nod it has a very big advance, enough to keep it running through the summer and into the fall. Remember that Aida also got mixed reviews and ended up running for four years, paying back the investment and turning a profit. I know that Tarzan cost much more but I think Tarzan will be at the Richard Rodgers through the end of 2006 at least.

I should have kept reading.  ;D

Ben

« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2006, 11:39:03 AM »

Great minds think alike  ;D

Of course, it helps that you worked for the House of Mouse for a while ;)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2006, 11:54:07 AM »

OMG DRJENNIFER....I thought you mean the TAR finale!!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2006, 11:54:30 AM »

Fingers crossed for good outcomes for The Hippies and Elliot tonight!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2006, 12:05:56 PM »

It looks gorgeous outside but I must confess I haven't stepped outside yet today.  It's my day off and I've been enjoying lounging around and doing chores at a leisurely pace.  I suppose I could go for a jog later.

Jennifer

« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2006, 12:14:14 PM »

No the TAR finale is tonight at 8pm.

But next Fall CBS has TAR in the 8pm Sunday night slot. I'm not sure how i feel about that time. I would prefer tuesdays at 9pm. But i do definitely like TAR at 8pm. So i guess sundays will be alright.

I'm not sure how long TAR will last. But APPRENTICE will be on in january at 9pm.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2006, 12:14:16 PM »

Warm here in the sunshine, but still a bit cool in the shade.

Ginny

« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2006, 12:21:40 PM »

Wednesday greetings!  I'm late checking in today because I had an early morning coffee with my best librarian friend (now retired).  From there I went to Dayton United Way for an interesting program about "Generational Marketing."  Now, I'm at work until 9pm, with both managers.  Might not be able to post much...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2006, 12:23:52 PM »

Rainy here. Has been raining for many days. And the forecast is for rain and more rain. It is very depressing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2006, 12:36:06 PM »

I have no interest in seeing the film of The Da Vinci Code, but not because of the brouhaha - it's simply that Ron Howard is an awful director and I will not see one of his pretentious, overblown, bloated films ever again.  When he learns to be simple, as he was when he made the endearing and well-directed Splash, then I'll give him another try.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2006, 12:37:38 PM »

DRLaura, I expect you to have a heatwave, not us and certainly not in Salem. ;D

MBarnum I know for sure the temps have gone up to 95, maybe 97 degrees.  It is supposed to get up to 97 today-so far it is only 84.  I hope we get rain soon.

Jane

« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2006, 12:39:35 PM »

There's a new cell phone wrinkle.  Now people don't have to turn them off - they can put them on "vibrate"

This is far from new-lol-where have you been?

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2006, 12:45:55 PM »

I hadn't planned on seeing the Da Vinci Code, at least not right away or at New York theater prices, but after seeing all of these polls and news stories about people being offended I am starting to feel like I should go see it.

Likewise I am staying away from Mission Impossible 3 in spite of the fact that there are some actors in it that I really like, because Tom Cruise is an idiot.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2006, 01:09:55 PM »

MattH... I wonder if I could trouble you for a copy.  Last night we forgot it was on and only saw the last half hour.

Oh, dear, you should have gotten me before I went downstairs. I watched it and erased it. I would have been glad to dupe it for you otherwise. I'm really sorry.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2006, 01:14:39 PM »

Watched a couple of CSI: MIAMI episodes from the 3rd season DVD set. One was the extra-length tsunami episode while the second concerned some heinous activities being carried on by a couple of judges. That second episode's conclusion carried repercussions on subsequent CSI episodes this season.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 01:15:11 PM by Matt H. »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2006, 01:16:58 PM »

No the TAR finale is tonight at 8pm.

But next Fall CBS has TAR in the 8pm Sunday night slot. I'm not sure how i feel about that time. I would prefer tuesdays at 9pm. But i do definitely like TAR at 8pm. So i guess sundays will be alright.

I'm not sure how long TAR will last. But APPRENTICE will be on in january at 9pm.

Only trouble with TAR on Sunday nights is that it will never start on a consistant time because of football.  Tivo will have fits trying to record it.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2006, 01:19:57 PM »

SURVIVOR, TAR, and THE APPRENTICE had their lowest ever ratings this past season. I think all of these shows, particularly the latter two, have peaked and are now on the downside of their lives as series.

I can understand wanting to rest THE APPRENTICE seeing as its fall has been the steepest, but I'm thinking out of sight, out of mind. I'm guessing the run in 2007 will be its last.

I really liked the idea of CBS alternating a fall season of TAR and a spring season of SURVIVOR so as to keep both shows going but maybe not quite as much of either. Sorry the network didn't see it this way.

I think TAR will run into trouble competing with EXTREME MAKEOVER on ABC and pro football on NBC.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2006, 01:21:03 PM »

Back from a really good jog - brisk all the way and went the extra two blocks - that should take care of any of last night's overeating (which wasn't much - just the eight onion rings), and tonight I'll be eating very lightly.  The chocolate licorice was the perfect thing to buy last Sunday - I eat three pieces a day, no fat grams at all, and considerably under 100 calories and it satisfies my little lunchtime hunger pang and it satisfies my sweet tooth.

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2006, 01:25:21 PM »

The BOSTON LEGAL season finale was fine. Some mild surprises, and I enjoyed the two major cases being covered. I did notice that they're using soft focus on Candice Bergen's close-ups now, and while they were going back and forth between Robert Forrester (in sharp, clear focus) and Candy (in blurry, gauzy focus), it was VERY distracting.

I'm assuming Parker Posey is joining the cast as a regular next season, but I really hadn't read anything about this.

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2006, 01:28:46 PM »

I finally broke down and bought the anniversary edition of BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S. Amazon had it on sale, and it came today, so I put it in and watched the first 25 minutes of it. Yes, it's a much cleaner print (pristine actually), but I wouldn't say the sharpness is any better and might actually not be quite as sharp as the last release. What a joyful picture to watch, however.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2006, 01:33:12 PM »

The problem with Breakfast at Tiffany's' new DVD is its color - it's much sharper than the previous DVD but the color is a pale shadow of what it should be - it's closer on the old DVD, but even that wasn't what it should have looked like.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2006, 01:50:05 PM »

Script just went in! My back is hurting like krazy. But it's done. Now I need to clean up around here -- when I'm working the way I've been working the past week or two - everything winds up on the floor. It looks like a hurricane hit. I look like a hurricane hit.
I think that before I do the BORING clean-up, I'll go out and do some errands which have gone undone.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2006, 02:01:09 PM »

Oh, dear, you should have gotten me before I went downstairs. I watched it and erased it. I would have been glad to dupe it for you otherwise. I'm really sorry.

Dang, oh well... there'll be reruns eventually!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2006, 02:03:43 PM »

Script just went in! My back is hurting like krazy. But it's done. Now I need to clean up around here -- when I'm working the way I've been working the past week or two - everything winds up on the floor. It looks like a hurricane hit. I look like a hurricane hit.
I think that before I do the BORING clean-up, I'll go out and do some errands which have gone undone.

Congrats on completion!! I wonder when we'll get to see your efforts translated to the screen.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2006, 02:05:33 PM »

A tip o' the cap to the late Cy Feuer.

Jane

« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2006, 02:06:51 PM »

SCREAM!!!  I need a screaming face up there.

The door guy has returned, and once again is screwing up.  He thinks he can just put the new door knobs & double bolts in without checking if the doors actually stay closed.  Of course he also forgot several items-for the third time now.

Keith is keeping his cool.  I'm so proud of him.  I'm trying to stay away. ;D  We just spent several minutes proving to him all the doors should open with one key, not two separate keys.  I think he is fixing that now.

Keith is going back outside & leaving me to deal with this.  I will admit he has worse things to do out there, really could use my help but I'm stuck in here.

Once again-SCREAM!! ;D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2006, 02:30:38 PM »

SCREAM!!!  I need a screaming face up there.

<SNIP>

Once again-SCREAM!! ;D

Let's see if this works:  I know the context is different, but Jane (and anyone else), turn on your speakers and click on the screamer!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2006, 02:35:33 PM »

T.O.D.

Is today Ask BK Day?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2006, 02:38:02 PM »