Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: SPARKLE, NEELY, SPARKLE  (Read 88160 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: SPARKLE, NEELY, SPARKLE
« Reply #180 on: October 03, 2008, 11:30:15 AM »

I shall shortly be on my way to the early lunch meeting at the French Market Cafe in West Hollywood, a sparkling and gay place.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2008, 11:37:32 AM »

Good morning, all! I got caught up in reading the new Stephen Schwartz book and got to bed after 1. I'm a bit draggy this morning.

DRvixmom, the Pepperidge Farm orange cranberry bread is divoon! I see there are several other new breads in this series as well, but it's great for breakfast with a bit of low-fat butter substitute.  I think li'l Mikey would like it as well.

Today, back to NYPL and some editorial work here, mostly on THE MOST HAPPY FELLA.

TOD:
   DVD:  In Bruges, several operas
   CD:  Sarasate Carmen Fantasie, Offenbach's Christopher Columbus, Guy Haines, Delibes Sylvia
    VCR:  short documentaries about military social customs

Elmore-

And How Is The Book...so far?

Not as in depth as I'd prefer, but certainly interesting. Poor photo reproductions, though.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #182 on: October 03, 2008, 11:38:02 AM »

TOD:

Videos (remember those?):  "Heaven Can Wait"  (the one from the 70's, the re-make of "Here Comes, Mr. Jordan").   Warren Beatty was hunky then; Julie Chrsite is as usual, luminous.  It's the supporting cast that really makes the movie (and Elaine May's script).  James Mason is brilliant and most effective at underplaying his role (as usual-- such command); Jack Warden is perfect; Buck Henry is Buck Henry.  Charles Grodin, and most especially Dyan Cannon steal the movie from the others (and I know her part was cut way down, but still.....)  Her scenes never fail to make me laugh.

"They All Laughed"  (it's not consistently right, IMHO), but Ben Gazarra is right; Audrey Hepburn is always perfect; John Ritter is a riot in that, but it's Colleen Camp who steals the whole thing.  And if there were any doubt that Peter Bogdonavich adored Dorothy Stratten, just watch the movie.  He presents her so well (the way Selznick did with Jennifer Jones, the way Harry Cohn did with Rita Hayworth and despite his dislike for her, even Kim Novak).  I have no idea how much talent Dorothy Stratten actually had, but you didn't care, because the director made her look good.

CD:  another typical Kerry compilation for the car that includes Diana Dors, Dolly Parton, Tony Perkins, Dame Edna, and so much more.  God only knows WHAT I was thing when I put that together.
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: October 03, 2008, 11:38:52 AM »

* * * * *  Rapid Property Closing Vibes for DR Elmore!  * * * * *

Now why did my attempt to do this crash and burn?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #184 on: October 03, 2008, 11:40:05 AM »

DR elmore - Mssrs. Berman and Clayton send their regards. ;)

I love Joshie! He's the son I never had. What are you playing for?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: October 03, 2008, 11:40:55 AM »

Falafel--wasn't that the name of the Nestles dog?

I was just thinking the same thing!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: October 03, 2008, 11:42:38 AM »

DR Jose, are we on for tomorrow afternoon?

MBarnum

« Reply #187 on: October 03, 2008, 11:44:12 AM »

The sound on my Bollywood radio station keeps fluctuating and it bugs me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #188 on: October 03, 2008, 11:46:59 AM »

maybe they're singing microtones?

Kerry

« Reply #189 on: October 03, 2008, 11:51:21 AM »

Are the Bollywood pictures you posted from a few days ago all from the same motion picture (I doubt it, but with bollywood, anything is possible)?  I must admit to wanting to see a few more movies.  You already warped me with Guunam (or however it is spelled).
I like boat races.

Ben

« Reply #190 on: October 03, 2008, 12:27:22 PM »

TOD:

Videos (remember those?): 
"They All Laughed"  (it's not consistently right, IMHO), but Ben Gazarra is right; Audrey Hepburn is always perfect; John Ritter is a riot in that, but it's Colleen Camp who steals the whole thing.  And if there were any doubt that Peter Bogdonavich adored Dorothy Stratten, just watch the movie.  He presents her so well (the way Selznick did with Jennifer Jones, the way Harry Cohn did with Rita Hayworth and despite his dislike for her, even Kim Novak).  I have no idea how much talent Dorothy Stratten actually had, but you didn't care, because the director made her look good.

I LOVE They All Laughed. I remember seeing it and falling in love with it. It's, IMHO, a wonderful depiction of love, both young and adult. Audrey Hepburn was gorgeous and marvelous. I saw some of it being filmed in the Village on 7th Avenue and 10th Street at a spot that no longer exists. At the time it was a New York version of a Honky Tonk bar. Now it's an upscale market called Gourmet Garage (with other locations around the city). I should find that movie and watch it again.

Ben

« Reply #191 on: October 03, 2008, 12:28:47 PM »

Crash and Burn
I'm trying it myself, though I almost never do it, just to see what happens.

Ben

« Reply #192 on: October 03, 2008, 12:30:41 PM »

There are a bunch of message icons. Wonder what they do?

Ben

« Reply #193 on: October 03, 2008, 12:31:27 PM »

See my little light bulb (or lamp as it's called in the list) by the Title. That's what those message icons do.

Ben

« Reply #194 on: October 03, 2008, 12:31:47 PM »

And here's another

Thumbs Up

Ben

« Reply #195 on: October 03, 2008, 12:32:17 PM »

The icon replaces the piece of paper next to the Title.

Ben

« Reply #196 on: October 03, 2008, 12:33:32 PM »

But I think you can only do it in Reply

The icons at the end of the list are some of the old smileys that some people like better.

Ben

« Reply #197 on: October 03, 2008, 12:34:02 PM »

Like this one.

You can only do one at a time

Ben

« Reply #198 on: October 03, 2008, 12:34:33 PM »

OK, enough playing around. I have to get back to work.

MBarnum

« Reply #199 on: October 03, 2008, 12:50:48 PM »

Are the Bollywood pictures you posted from a few days ago all from the same motion picture (I doubt it, but with bollywood, anything is possible)?  I must admit to wanting to see a few more movies.  You already warped me with Guunam (or however it is spelled).

The ones of Helen were from a few different movies of hers. If you enjoyed GUMNAAM I would recommend TEESRI MANZIL. Made by the same people and has a nice mystery story to it, and some GREAT songs.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #200 on: October 03, 2008, 12:50:51 PM »

Now I'm making friends with the kitty I'll be taking care of while i'm here. She's a Himilayan...I've never been around one of those before. I can't imagine taking care of that sort of downy cat fur on a daily basis. Must be a lot of work! She's a sweet kitty with a completely flat face.

I love Himilayan's.  I know, all that hair.  It is my curse to prefer cats & dogs with long hair.

FJL

« Reply #201 on: October 03, 2008, 12:55:02 PM »

Oy, I'd been having trouble figuring things out - plus everyone (proverbally) wants their returns before Yom Kippur for some reason, even though they're not due until Oct 15th.  Plus we're having dinner here with my folks on Sunday, scheduled before I realized that the work leading up to Yom Kippur (Oct 9) would be so crazy.

Lots to catch up on here in terms of reading past posts.  it looked worse until i realized that the pages aren't 30 posts any more.  :)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #202 on: October 03, 2008, 01:01:12 PM »

Not trying to violate the HHW gag order, but I thought some of you might want to know about this opportunity Monday to visit the town where I work

ABC's "Battleground Bus Tour" to Start in Dayton

I don't think this violates the gag order.  I'll watch for you in the news ;)

Hmm, my route home takes me along the other side of the river.  Wonder if I should find an alternate route for Monday...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 01:07:23 PM by Jane »

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #203 on: October 03, 2008, 01:03:53 PM »

Falafel is, of course, blowhard Bill O'Reilly's favorite sex toy.

Rubbish - pure slander!

It is well known that Falafel is Ann Colter's favorite sex toy.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #204 on: October 03, 2008, 01:10:19 PM »

Don't tell MattH - his plate is full enough:

TVGUIDE

Moonlight courtesy CBS

OFFICIAL MOONLIGHT DVD RELEASE DATE ANNOUNCED   

A couple weeks ago, we gave you obsessive Moonlight fans a "bite" of good news regarding the future release of the blood-sucking series' DVD.

Well, now we have an actual date to sink your teeth into. The complete series will be released Jan. 20, 2009, after the holiday season as earlier predicted. The four-disc set will contain all 16 episodes, but no details on what sort of bonus material will be included (if any) have been released.

How wonderful to know this! I can't wait to have this superlative series, not to review but just to watch and rewatch with great pleasure.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #205 on: October 03, 2008, 01:11:43 PM »

Oy, I'd been having trouble figuring things out - plus everyone (proverbally) wants their returns before Yom Kippur for some reason, even though they're not due until Oct 15th. 

Makes sense to get all your false statements out of the way before atoning.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ginny

« Reply #206 on: October 03, 2008, 01:14:19 PM »

Not trying to violate the HHW gag order, but I thought some of you might want to know about this opportunity Monday to visit the town where I work

ABC's "Battleground Bus Tour" to Start in Dayton

I don't think this violates the gag order.  I'll watch for you in the news ;)

DR Jane, if you see me, I'll be the one in the blue Pontiac Vibe, stuck in traffic.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #207 on: October 03, 2008, 01:18:06 PM »

I had to take a little nap this afternoon. I guess not getting but 7 hours a night plus the heavu lunch I ate just put my lights out for thirty minutes. I hope this doesn't affect my sleep tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #208 on: October 03, 2008, 01:19:17 PM »

DR JMK, is the ONE TOUCH OF VENUS the one with Ava Gardner or is there some recorded stage production I don't know anything about?

Matt H.

« Reply #209 on: October 03, 2008, 01:20:43 PM »

I began my viewing this afternoon with last night's SMALLVILLE. Good episode with some backstory on Oliver Queen/Green Arrow. And a good new villain on the show.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Up