Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LIKES OF ME  (Read 31231 times)

François de Paris

Re:THE LIKES OF ME
« Reply #210 on: December 01, 2005, 04:15:25 PM »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #211 on: December 01, 2005, 04:16:42 PM »

TOD:  Although the entire score is not romantic...indeed, it is not, as it is made up of marches and polkas and light waltzes such as ship's orchestra might play...Ernest Gold's transcendent "'Ship of Fools' Love Theme" is one of the most heartachingly poignant pieces of music ever to be attached to celluloid images.

This is the music that played when Oskar Werner and Simone Signoret had their romanti-tragic scenes together.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 04:18:51 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #212 on: December 01, 2005, 04:18:02 PM »

Another score with tons of heartbreakingly beautiful romantic music -- but from a film that is anything but romantic although the heroine does her damnedest, time after time, to seduce the hero -- is Alfred Newman's exquisite music to "The Razor's Edge"...primarily the music that accompanies the scenes between Larry and Isabelle.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Cillaliz

« Reply #213 on: December 01, 2005, 04:18:29 PM »

Happy day! Freddy the wandering cat returned to his home at 12:25 am...or at least that is when I woke up to him meowing outside!

He had no explanation for his disappearance and headed straight for his food bowl.

He seemed not at all pleased to see Hildy...but I am sure she had nothing to do with it...I think  ::)

So thank you all for the vibes! They really are quite effective!!!

WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!! I certainly hope you told her how worried you were. That means a lot to a cat.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #214 on: December 01, 2005, 04:19:48 PM »

Quelle lull est-il???

The one between my post and the one before it.

The lull has desisted.

Cillaliz

« Reply #215 on: December 01, 2005, 04:24:23 PM »

DR CILLA LIZ - I thought the mural photos were terrific!!!

He modeled it after a series of photos taken for brochures back in the 40's.  He really does some fun stuff.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #216 on: December 01, 2005, 04:37:41 PM »

My intention was to post updates on our situation here, however, the sensitive satellite has been acting up again. The tow truck finally arrived, finally figured out how to get up our driveway to the moving van.  Now I pray it can get the van down without a major accident.

I think we could use some good vibes about now.

Cillaliz

« Reply #217 on: December 01, 2005, 04:38:19 PM »

Actually I heard on NPR yesterday that the Vatican has announced that they will no longer teach that unbapitized babies and people born before the time of Christ will go to "Limbo" a place that is supposedly neither heaven nor Hell.  Being raised Lutheran I never held to any such concept, nor that of "Purgatory", another Catholic teaching to which the Lutherans do not ascribe  

LOL. I was raised Methodist. We don't have purgatory or limbo either. It's either Heaven or straight to Hell, do not pass "Go" do not collect $200

Cillaliz

« Reply #218 on: December 01, 2005, 04:40:57 PM »

Had he ever stopped??

Favourite romantic score -- of the ones I know, bien sûr! --

SOMEWHERE IN TIME.

DR FRANCIOS this is my favorite too.

Jane

« Reply #219 on: December 01, 2005, 04:43:30 PM »

I don’t have a box to post in, had to click on reply.

The tow truck is back on the road, the van has its lights on but isn’t going anywhere.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #220 on: December 01, 2005, 04:43:55 PM »

My intention was to post updates on our situation here, however, the sensitive satellite has been acting up again.

The insensitive satellite is the title of my next novel.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #221 on: December 01, 2005, 04:44:13 PM »

VIBES TO JANE AND KEITH ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #222 on: December 01, 2005, 04:45:18 PM »

DRMBarnum, I'm elated that Freddy is home.  I know how fraught you were the last time he disappeared.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #223 on: December 01, 2005, 04:46:06 PM »

The tow truck has left and the van is creeping, in super slow speed, back down our driveway.  

The post box has returned.

Cillaliz

« Reply #224 on: December 01, 2005, 04:46:20 PM »

Well, I must go to the grocery store. We're supposed to have more snow in the afternoon tomorrow. That will be storm number 3. The last one left clsoe to 5 inches of snow on top of the 4 inches or so that was there from the first storm.  I don't mind. I love winter!  

But, I must get groceries. I only love winter when I have stocked the cupboards, refrigerator and freezer!

Jane

« Reply #225 on: December 01, 2005, 04:48:47 PM »

Thanks Cilaliz.  Movement has stopped.  This is making me very nervous.

Michael

« Reply #226 on: December 01, 2005, 05:03:25 PM »

TOD

Francias Lai...........Love Story
Georges Delarue........A Little Romance
John Barry............Somewhere in Time
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #227 on: December 01, 2005, 05:04:41 PM »

Thank goodness the tow truck has returned.

That’s it for awhile.  I can’t take this internet server of ours anymore.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #228 on: December 01, 2005, 05:21:16 PM »

Lost prediction (you heard it here first):  Mark my words:  Echo (Eko?) is going to turn out to be a bad guy, maybe even one of the Others.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 05:39:14 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #229 on: December 01, 2005, 05:24:07 PM »

I've had strep three or four  times in my 57 years.  It's never pretty....

The last time that I had strep was about 12-13 years ago or so.  I had gotten it (and I won't say how ;)) and was given antibiotics for 10 days.  It came back two days after I stopped taking the meds.  I was given two weeks of antibiotics, but again, it came right back.  Then they gave me a month's worth of meds.  It finally stayed away.  They told me that since I got strep three times within six months, they could take out my tonsils.  So they did.  I've been fine ever since.

But, I was real lucky with my recovery.  I'd been told horror stories about adults who get their tonsils out.  A former co-worker said that he couldn't eat or drink anything for two days!  I was at the hospital (in Tacoma) on a Tuesday morning at about 9:30, in the operating room at 11:45 and I woke up at about 1:00 p.m. and home by 3:00.  Easy as pie.  I was given pain killers, but I didn't need as much as they gave me...at first.  The only real problem was on that Friday I felt better than I actually was.  My sister, niece and I went out for dinner and I made the horrible mistake of ordering Nachos! :o SCRAPE!!!!!!!  Anyway, it really wasn't too bad, but that was when I really definitely the pain killers that I hadn't used earlier in the week.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #230 on: December 01, 2005, 06:13:56 PM »

Speaking of cold meds, has anyone tried that new TheraFlu "strip"?  The one that you just peel out of a plastic pack and put on your tongue to dissolve?

I have tried it, and it seemed to work as well as any other over the counter medication. However, I think if I am going to use Thera-Flu, I want the warmth of sipping the hot liquid.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Cillaliz

« Reply #231 on: December 01, 2005, 06:16:07 PM »

The last time that I had strep was about 12-13 years ago or so.  I had gotten it (and I won't say how ;)) and was given antibiotics for 10 days.  It came back two days after I stopped taking the meds.  I was given two weeks of antibiotics, but again, it came right back.  Then they gave me a month's worth of meds.  It finally stayed away.  They told me that since I got strep three times within six months, they could take out my tonsils.  So they did.  I've been fine ever since.

But, I was real lucky with my recovery.  I'd been told horror stories about adults who get their tonsils out.  A former co-worker said that he couldn't eat or drink anything for two days!  I was at the hospital (in Tacoma) on a Tuesday morning at about 9:30, in the operating room at 11:45 and I woke up at about 1:00 p.m. and home by 3:00.  Easy as pie.  I was given pain killers, but I didn't need as much as they gave me...at first.  The only real problem was on that Friday I felt better than I actually was.  My sister, niece and I went out for dinner and I made the horrible mistake of ordering Nachos! :o SCRAPE!!!!!!!  Anyway, it really wasn't too bad, but that was when I really definitely the pain killers that I hadn't used earlier in the week.

I had my toncil's out when I was 33....it was not a pleasant experience....it was terrible actually. I don't even want to think about it let alone talk about it....so I won't

Cillaliz

« Reply #232 on: December 01, 2005, 06:17:52 PM »

Well the cupboards are full, the fridge is full and the freezer is full. I'm trying to eat healthy, so there are lots of fruits and veges.  Now it better snow, cause I'm ready to be stranded here for awhile!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #233 on: December 01, 2005, 06:19:13 PM »

Strange day today.  I had a weird run-in with the new neighbor above me this morning.  She's a youngt bimbo who got on the elevator talking into her cellphone.  To whomever she was speaking she was talking about being at the TODAY show since she was representing Tim Russert.  One of her classic comments between the first and third floors:  "Katies' breasts are not to be discussed."
I'm trying to imagine the on-air conversation.

"Katie, are you feeling OK today?  You're breasts seem to be sagging a little.  Here, let me help pump them back up."

It's the gentlemanly thing to do, after all.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #234 on: December 01, 2005, 06:26:44 PM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Very interesting choices for romantic film score.  And boy do I agree with Pogue about Robin and Marian.  I also love Mancini's Two For The Road, and Tiffany's.  

Oh yes, without a doubt, BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S would be my favorite.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ginny

« Reply #235 on: December 01, 2005, 06:37:58 PM »

Vibes to Jane and Keith - sounds like one darned thing after another!

My back is feeling much better - not perfect - but at least I can walk without a lot of pain.  Tomorrow is my day off before working on Saturday, so I'm hoping for as much continued progress as I've had today.

DR Cillaliz - I hope you get your snowbound wish  ;)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #236 on: December 01, 2005, 06:40:16 PM »

Today is:

Day Without Art Day

World AIDS Day

National Pie Day

and

Eat a Red Apple Day.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #237 on: December 01, 2005, 06:42:24 PM »

December is National Tie Month.

Which has nothing to do with the fact that it is also MADDs Tie One One for Safety Month.

And National Drunk and Drugged Driving (3D) Prevention Month.

And National Stress-Free Family Holidays Month.

(Exactly how they expect stress-free family holidays without any drinking, they don't say.)

Jane

« Reply #238 on: December 01, 2005, 06:42:45 PM »

Finally!!  They are off our driveway but still need to go up the road in order to turn around.  The tow truck will wait until the van is off our road.  Keith is still out there trying to fix the damage they did to the road and driveway.  

I sure hope that snowstorm doesn’t come as predicted.

By the time it took me to connect again-THEY MADE IT!!!!  At 5:58PM I saw the tow truck drive down the road.  

Keith took a nice long hot shower and warmed up.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #239 on: December 01, 2005, 06:43:19 PM »

This is also National Calendar Awareness Month.

(Do you know where your calendar is?)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up