Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WHIP CRACK AWAY  (Read 17382 times)

MBarnum

Re:WHIP CRACK AWAY
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2005, 06:47:43 AM »

DR MBarnum, I believe the irony in Miss Jones' MUSIC MAN pregnancy with Patrick (soon to be touring in JOSEPH...  Again.) is that I have often heard/read stories that during the stage version, Miss Cook was also with child, and Preston told her he would cut the lift during the footbridge scene if she was feeling nausous, or something like that.  So for uptight librarian/spinsters, those Marians got around.

DR Stuart, I think you meant to direct that info to DR Ron Pulliam...I don't know from THE MUSIC MAN.

MBarnum

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2005, 06:48:48 AM »

Favorite western film score...DAY OF THE OUTLAW.

Favorite TV western Themes...CHEYENNE and BIG VALLEY.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2005, 07:00:38 AM »

DR Stuart, I think you meant to direct that info to DR Ron Pulliam...I don't know from THE MUSIC MAN.

Humble apologies.  I will correct my initial post.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2005, 07:36:50 AM »

I'm in a song writing mood.

Darling, remember
At the end of the day,
My love for you
Is just a whip crack away.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2005, 07:39:48 AM »

Friday is usually the day I allow myself to have ice cream, but I cannot possibly ignore National Ice Cream Day! Thanks for the heads up!  :D
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2005, 07:41:55 AM »

TV Westerns had WONDERFUL theme songs. BRONCO had a very snappy title tune. Yep, THE BIG VALLEY and THE WILD WILD WEST had great instrumental themes. There are SO many to choose from, but I guess my favorite of all-time would have to be HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2005, 07:44:06 AM »

I wonder if, in all of his years of screen acting, that Johnny Depp ever imagined that his likeness would one day appear on a candy bar wrapper.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2005, 07:45:02 AM »

Does anyone have any sales figures on the best selling cast albums of all-time (LPs and CD numbers combined)? I know for years, MY FAIR LADY was the best selling cast album (not counting movie musical soundtracks where THE SOUND OF MUSIC led for years). But I have never seen any figures that combined sales from LP days plus CD releases.

Does anyone compile these figures?

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2005, 07:46:43 AM »

The talk of Gregg Edelmann yesterday reminded me that also yesterday he appeared on the soap opera ONE LIFE TO LIVE. I was quite surprised when he came walking into the police station as an expert of crime investigation. I assume is was only a role that will occupy him for a few days, not a recurring or regular role for him.

He looked good.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2005, 07:48:45 AM »

Just saw on the internet that MONK's season premiere last Friday night garnered its largest rating ever during its four year run. Great news!

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2005, 07:51:14 AM »

Got THE RAINMAKER and the Best of THE MICKEY MOUSE CLUB DVDs in the mail today, among other items. Happy day!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2005, 07:56:32 AM »

The talk of Gregg Edelmann yesterday reminded me that also yesterday he appeared on the soap opera ONE LIFE TO LIVE. I was quite surprised when he came walking into the police station as an expert of crime investigation. I assume is was only a role that will occupy him for a few days, not a recurring or regular role for him.

He looked good.

Gregg Edelman on OLTL?  Wish I had known.....I used to be a fairly consistent OLTL fan....but really haven't seen a full episode, nor known who people are (except for the oldtimers) in years.  Still sorry I missed my beloved Phyllis Newman's turn as Renee, before the equally delicious Patricia Elliott took over.  They shared more than the role.....they are both Supp. Actress (Musical) TONY Award (R) winners!

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2005, 08:04:35 AM »

Gregg Edelman on OLTL?  Wish I had known.....I used to be a fairly consistent OLTL fan....but really haven't seen a full episode, nor known who people are (except for the oldtimers) in years.  Still sorry I missed my beloved Phyllis Newman's turn as Renee, before the equally delicious Patricia Elliott took over.  They shared more than the role.....they are both Supp. Actress (Musical) TONY Award (R) winners!

Patricia only pops up occasionally now. She hasn't had a real storyline in a long, long time. In the show now, she's married to longtime star Phil Carey (Asa), but the focus is really on the younger cast members now rather than the more mature players.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2005, 08:06:46 AM »

About Patricia's Tony Award. I had seen A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC before its Tony win, had liked her but there was NO doubt in my mind that Hermione Gingold was going to take that Tony by a landslide. That was probably one of the biggest shocks of my life the night Elliott won that Tony.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2005, 08:12:02 AM »

"Branded" was a great TV theme. THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN a great film theme.

Star sighting: Zach Braff filming a movie scene in front of my building yesterday. It looked like a little slapstick.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2005, 08:12:59 AM »

I just looked at the list of DVD releases for next week, and this is the first week in a long, LONG time that there isn't one single thing being released next week that I have the slightest interest in. Amazing.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2005, 08:16:25 AM »

Speaking of "Branded," I had a piano book of TV theme songs when I was a teenager, and I put together a medley of my favorites, and "Branded" was one of them. The others were "Dr. Kildare," "Twelve O'Clock High," and "Peyton Place."

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2005, 08:17:09 AM »

OLTL has definitely skewed young of late. Though I was surprised to read they brought back the sweaty old Carlo Hesser, long dead.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2005, 08:17:10 AM »

Patricia only pops up occasionally now. She hasn't had a real storyline in a long, long time. In the show now, she's married to longtime star Phil Carey (Asa), but the focus is really on the younger cast members now rather than the more mature players.

Ah....Asa.  OLTL's answer to JR Ewing.

I remember the lovely Taina Elg as Olympia Buchanan.  It seemed that at one point they had half the original cast of NINE on OLTL.

I remember Al Freeman Jr. and Ellen Holly.  I remember Farley Granger.  I remember Jennifer Harmon, Doris Belack and the ORIGINAL Doran Cramer, Nancy Pinkerton.  I remember George Reinholt and Jackie Courtnay.

I remember Viki (I only remember Erika Slezak as Viki) being pregnant with Kevin for what seemed to be 17 months.

But I can't remember when I stopped watching regularly, or at least checking in.

And I seem to remember having this conversation with you.  Just had a deja vu, at least.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 08:18:20 AM by Stuart »

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2005, 08:24:39 AM »

Kevin Buchanan is now one of the heartthrobs of the show. PLayed by Dan Gautier. Is he BYE BYE BIRDIE's Dick Gautier's son by chance?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2005, 08:24:54 AM »

You know what else is good? Nelson Riddle's theme from THE PROUD ONES (written by Lionel Newman). It's of the whistling variety.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 08:27:03 AM by Rodzinski »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2005, 08:41:11 AM »

Good morning, all!  I have a long day ahead of me with the recording project:  I'm back to our old stomping grounds, BK, Manhattan Beach Studio on West 37th to listen to a lot of takes from 2001.  Before that, more DARLING OF THE DAY work.

I do have a question for BK:  are there any cast albums Kritzerland might be interested in bringing out on CD?  Some of the unreleased albums I'd like to obtain are ALL IN LOVE, MAN WITH A LOAD OF MISCHIEF, Sony's SONG OF NORWAY and MERRY WIDOW with John Reardon, those EP Victor excerpts from the late 40s-early 50s with Felix Knight and Doretta Morrow, the London cast of CAMELOT with Laurence Harvey, etc.

There are several things I'd love to bring to CD, reissue-wise, but, unless things have changed, the licensing deal is a very difficult proposition - it's based on a minimum number of units that you guarantee to buy (finished goods) no matter what - and that number has always been 5000.  Almost impossible to sell that many of anything.  Now that Sony has BMG, their licensing division has suddenly become difficult again.  And not all labels are willing to license.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2005, 08:43:14 AM »

OLLAPODRIDA, baby, OLLAPODRIDA!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2005, 08:44:05 AM »

Favorite song from a western "Cat Rumble" from Fievel Goes West- it seems appropriate given our current circumstances with Walty and Killbot.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2005, 09:04:52 AM »

Pehaps that's what we need. A mouse to get the two cats working towards a common goal. A mouse could be a real team-builder.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2005, 09:47:28 AM »

I'm on my way to Mr. Grant Geissman's.  I shall return.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2005, 09:56:32 AM »

Bronco and Branded are two good TV western themes.  I also liked Here Come the Brides - not exactly a western.

Movie westerns usually have BIG music, and most of my favorites have been mentioned!  But I will just add Elmer Bernstein's True Grit score!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2005, 09:57:35 AM »

My question for ASK BK day:

If the stars and planets and ages and agents had been right - the timing does NOT have to be accurate - what part in what classic TV series would you like to have played?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2005, 10:04:47 AM »

Bronco and Branded are two good TV western themes.  I also liked Here Come the Brides - not exactly a western.

Is that the fabulous Bobby Sherman singing "Seattle?"  If so, I LOVE that song!

MBarnum

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2005, 10:26:56 AM »

Did anyone catch the 1910 version of WIZARD OF OZ that played on TCM recently? I just watched it last night...what fun! It starred a 9 year old Bebe Daniels as Dorothy...I had no idea she was a child actress at one time.

I particularly liked the costumes for Toto (he gets turned into a giant dog) and the cowardly lion....and the scarecrow was quite well acted.

My tape ran out and I missed the last few minutes, but I guess I know how the story turns out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up