Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CAT IS OUT OF THE BAG  (Read 60818 times)

FJL

Re:THE CAT IS OUT OF THE BAG
« Reply #210 on: March 19, 2006, 06:45:01 PM »

Hey, if The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man in the Moon Marigolds can win a Pulitzer, why not The Political Sociology of Third Parties in the United States Microform?

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #211 on: March 19, 2006, 06:45:20 PM »

Rodzinski and I had our own taco par-tay of sorts.  We made a trip to Taco Bell and had a feast!  I finally got to try the crunchwrap supreme, a delicacy.

Ginny

« Reply #212 on: March 19, 2006, 06:46:05 PM »

DR Cillaliz - is it snowing at your house yet?  We are under a Winter Storm Watch for Monday evening into Tuesday morning.  Fortunately, no one in my family will be on the road then.  DH Richard should be home tomorrow afternoon, as should DN Laura.  In fact, they'll probably pass on the highway somewhere in Indiana tomorrow.  My cousins are planning to leave Tuesday for Pittsburgh to visit their dad, but will watch the conditions and adjust their plans if necessary.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #213 on: March 19, 2006, 06:46:38 PM »

I'm on page 8 of my paper in case anyone is keeping track... just 4-5 more to go.

FJL

« Reply #214 on: March 19, 2006, 06:47:55 PM »

Skip and I tried the Chipotle chain for the first time.  Quite excellent. 'Taint particularly cheap, but Skip really enjoyed his margarita and both of us enjoyed our meals tremendously.

Ginny

« Reply #215 on: March 19, 2006, 06:48:58 PM »

I'm on page 8 of my paper in case anyone is keeping track... just 4-5 more to go.

Keep up the good work, DR TPunk - you're well over halfway there!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #216 on: March 19, 2006, 06:51:31 PM »

TPunk - Remember what I always say:  If you're only required to do 12 pages, stop on page 12 even if you're in the middle of a thought.  Always leave 'em wanting more.  :)  :)  :)

My law school final paper had a 40-page minimum.  I was going to be gosh-darned if I even gave them 41.  (Of course, in those days, we were still typing on a typewriter so you couldn't expand the number of pages by reformatting.)

Tomovoz

« Reply #217 on: March 19, 2006, 06:53:06 PM »

How wonderful to be an inspiration!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #218 on: March 19, 2006, 06:53:31 PM »

TPunk - Remember what I always say:  If you're only required to do 12 pages, stop on page 12 even if you're in the middle of a thought.  Always leave 'em wanting more.  :)  :)  :)

My law school final paper had a 40-page minimum.  I was going to be gosh-darned if I even gave them 41.  (Of course, in those days, we were still typing on a typewriter so you couldn't expand the number of pages by reformatting.)

Ha ha, I love that!  This paper only has to be 10-12 pages, but now that I'm in the middle of things I'm afraid that I might go over.  I may actually find myself reformatting down.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #219 on: March 19, 2006, 06:54:45 PM »

I only have to work for 6 minutes more and then I am allowing myself to watch this evening's Grey's Anatomy while sorting and folding laundry.  I may even wrap a gift or two for a certain birthday boy...

FJL

« Reply #220 on: March 19, 2006, 06:57:52 PM »

I'm working up an ad campaign for Chipotle to the tune of Shipoopi from THE MUSIC MAN.  :)   (As great as it was, the Chipotle meal put me in mind of the line from Disney's ATLANTIS movie, something like "dinner tonight will be three-bean tacos; musical program will follow.")

As my Mom loves to say, thanks, Freddie, for playing Too Much Information.

Tomovoz

« Reply #221 on: March 19, 2006, 06:58:53 PM »

None of your LA puns LAX the ability to make me smile
FJL.  (Yes I am aware of the non agreement there! A statement that may also be somewhat ambiguous)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #222 on: March 19, 2006, 07:00:43 PM »

I'm surprised that Disney's  Atlantis is remembered by anyone! IMHO it truly sank.
James Thurber 1957

Ginny

« Reply #223 on: March 19, 2006, 07:04:49 PM »

Just had an email about the used book sale - we made just over $4000!

Tomovoz

« Reply #224 on: March 19, 2006, 07:05:03 PM »

Bob Dylan's most successful pop song in Oz was "LA lady LA"
James Thurber 1957

Ginny

« Reply #225 on: March 19, 2006, 07:06:53 PM »

I am s-o-o-o tired - 'night.

Tomovoz

« Reply #226 on: March 19, 2006, 07:09:33 PM »

Cyclone Larry has devastated many of the Northern Queensland coastal towns.  Larry has moved inland and has now been downgraded to a category three.
I'm not sure what that means in terms of Larry's personal pain threshold. Of course Larry may have more of a thrash hold. I'm not judgemental.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 07:10:05 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

FJL

« Reply #227 on: March 19, 2006, 07:09:50 PM »

DR Tomovoz - That Bob Dylan joke, that's awful - that I didn't think of it, I mean.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #228 on: March 19, 2006, 07:10:09 PM »

Hey, if The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man in the Moon Marigolds can win a Pulitzer, why not The Political Sociology of Third Parties in the United States Microform?

It just might be insightful!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #229 on: March 19, 2006, 07:11:40 PM »

Good luck Tpunk!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Tomovoz

« Reply #230 on: March 19, 2006, 07:11:59 PM »

Trivia.. Dylan offered the song to the Everly Brothers who said they did not understand it.  They recorded it some thirty years later.  Why do I bother remembering such things?
James Thurber 1957

FJL

« Reply #231 on: March 19, 2006, 07:13:08 PM »

Ginny - That's great news about the success of the book sale.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #232 on: March 19, 2006, 07:14:36 PM »

FJL, Reservoir Limnology might be the clue!!

FJL

« Reply #233 on: March 19, 2006, 07:14:49 PM »

Jane - Welcome back.  So glad you got back safely from your travels.

Tomovoz

« Reply #234 on: March 19, 2006, 07:16:19 PM »

Back in the late 60's a song called "LA LA LA" won the Eurovison song contest. It was the entry from Spain.

Lesley Gore recorded the song for the American market!
James Thurber 1957

FJL

« Reply #235 on: March 19, 2006, 07:19:00 PM »

The "Hard Out Here for a Pimp" performers are also doing a cover of the Bob Dylan song.  Thy're getting permission to change the title to "Lay, b**tchm****rf****era***s, lay."  

:)

Tomovoz

« Reply #236 on: March 19, 2006, 07:20:30 PM »

I was going to suggest that with the Dreams and Nightmare references "California Dreamin'" may have been a useful title.  I suspect it's been used!!
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #237 on: March 19, 2006, 07:24:30 PM »

And I believe it FJL.
The soundtrack to "Hustle and Flow" also has "Bad B**ch" Remix" as one of the tracks.  We need more butch songs.

Of course there are also the "Whoop That Trick" and "Get Crunk, Get Buck" tracks that surprisingly missed out on nominations.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 07:43:33 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

FJL

« Reply #238 on: March 19, 2006, 07:31:19 PM »

We used to do what was known as a "Bad Batch Remix" when a batch of Belgian waffle batter didn't turn out right at my years-ago Coney Island job.

Try saying "bad batch of bubbling Belgian batter" ten times fast.

FJL

« Reply #239 on: March 19, 2006, 07:37:35 PM »

"Whoop That Trick" is of course a cover of a big hit from THE MAGIC SHOW - hence it was never eligible for Oscar gold.

And few people know that Dorothy Fields' original lyrics to "Big Spender" included "Do ya wanna get crunked, crunked, crunked/How's about a few bucks, bucks, bucks" but apparently Neil Simon objected saying that the Dance Hall Hostesses would never use false rhymes like that.

:)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up