Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CAT IS OUT OF THE BAG  (Read 60184 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:THE CAT IS OUT OF THE BAG
« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2006, 02:36:40 PM »

Thank you, DR Jose!  I believe Artie's rice pudding can perform many miracles.  I am also sorry that I missed you and DRJason.

I just had a bit of cola, and I think I will lie down for a bit and read the newspapers.

Last night I watched, for the first time, William Wyler's film of CARRIE with Jennifer Jones.  It's a beautiful film, although I don't know why Laurence Olivier couldn't be seen gassing himself, as Hurstwood does in the book.  It's implied, but the book's more brutal than this beautiful film.  

The film reminded me a bit of the Olivier-Greer Garson PRIDE AND PREJUDICE:  the characters are there, the story's similar to the book, but the tone is vastly different.  CARRIE is much more romantic than the novel, but I liked Jennifer Jones much more than the heroine of Dreiser's novel.

I agree completely.  What a wondeful film!  And I love it, at the end, when her hand reaches out of the grave ,and tries to grab Amy Irving.  Wow!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #151 on: March 19, 2006, 02:39:14 PM »

The Book Scout should be title...I'm not sure about the sub-title of  "and other stories".  I rather like George's suggestion of "and other unseemly stories"...that would be the perfect hook to me...Are the stories unseemly?  They must be!  BK wrote them!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2006, 02:44:17 PM »

Just got off the phone with my muse Margaret - we were batting around what we should call the short story collection.  She actually really liked the same one that dear reader Jane liked.  We know it has to be the title of one of the stories, and four of the stories have titles that just don't work at all as a title for the overall collection.  So, here are the three titles we can choose from.  Let's hear your votes:

Sweet Dreams and Other Stories

:)  
The Book Scout and Other Stories
 ;D

Adventures With My Father and Other Stories

Hmm, I just can't decide!
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2006, 02:49:01 PM »

Well, if "Sweet Dreams" evokes Patsy Cline, "I'll See You in My Dreams" evokes Gus Kahn and the Doris Day-Danny Thomas movie, at least in my mind.

"The Book Scout" is certainly the most original sounding of the titles and thus gets my vote to be part of the collection's title.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2006, 02:50:32 PM »

Heading down to do the usual Sunday cleaning and then on to some reading and then TV for the evening.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2006, 02:51:44 PM »

Knowing I've only got one episode left, I went ahead and jumped to the special features on this final disc: the "making of" documentary, the gag reel, a featurette on the actual space ship set (two levels on two different soundstages - fascinating), and all of it celebrating a cult show whose reputation will be around a long, long time.

I agree, Matt.  I just got Disc Two from the show, and I am savoring every episode.  After watching all of the episodes, I will watch the film.  What a shame, no other network picked up this show.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2006, 02:54:03 PM »

"I've Never Been Tommy" was sung (ans mimed) in that deligthful film "Jose - Queen of the Dessert".

The song was originally called "I've Never Had Tommy;" but they couldn't find a single person who could sing it.
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #157 on: March 19, 2006, 03:11:02 PM »

I assume you can't sing TCB!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #158 on: March 19, 2006, 03:17:25 PM »

Bk, a number of lurkers who are Matt fans would love for the play to be taped and they send break a leg vibe you also....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #159 on: March 19, 2006, 03:21:22 PM »

I assume you can't sing TCB!

DON'T CRY FOR ME, AUSTRALIUA!
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #160 on: March 19, 2006, 03:31:16 PM »

A silent U! Now there's a surprise. LOL
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2006, 03:57:04 PM »

The Book Scout and Other Unseemly Stories?? ;)

I change my vote to this one!  ;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2006, 04:07:59 PM »

"Sweet Dreams" reminds me of a John Bucchino song.  

Speaking of songs, Dear Friend BK, I listened to Lisa Richards' album today.  What a lovely song you wrote!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #163 on: March 19, 2006, 04:15:56 PM »

"Sweet Dreams" reminds me of a John Bucchino song.  

Speaking of songs, Dear Friend BK, I listened to Lisa Richards' album today.  What a lovely song you wrote!

What is the name of the song Elmore? I am curious to hear it?
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: March 19, 2006, 04:29:09 PM »

the song on Lisa's album is When You're Waiting For Love, which was also in What If.

My friend Barbara Deutsch came by to pick something up and she ended up running lines with me - I feel a bit better now - I actually got through about seventy percent of it perfectly, and my problems are all in the same area, so I'm gonna just spend all day tomorrow concentrating in that area.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #165 on: March 19, 2006, 04:29:47 PM »

"Sweet Dreams" makes me think of The Eurythmics.

I also like "The Book Scout."  That gets my vote.

"Sweet Dreams" made me think of the same.  I have no idea what a book scout would be, which is one reason why I voted against it.

How about "Not the Latest Collection of Randy Vicar Stories"?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #166 on: March 19, 2006, 04:30:16 PM »

I vote for The Book Scout.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: March 19, 2006, 04:34:00 PM »

Oh, and dear reader Jane's choice was The Book Scout.  I actually like and other unseemly stories, but a couple of the stories are seemly so I'm not sure it works.  

Here are all the story titles, for those who are interested.

I'll See You In My Dreams (formerly Sweet Dreams)
Your Worst Nightmare
Maddie
How To Write A Dirty Book
Opening Out Of Town
The Book Scout
Adventures With My Father

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #168 on: March 19, 2006, 04:35:28 PM »

the song on Lisa's album is When You're Waiting For Love, which was also in What If.

My friend Barbara Deutsch came by to pick something up and she ended up running lines with me - I feel a bit better now - I actually got through about seventy percent of it perfectly, and my problems are all in the same area, so I'm gonna just spend all day tomorrow concentrating in that area.

I will look for it...

Good on your friend coming over to help you... Break a leg!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #169 on: March 19, 2006, 04:35:48 PM »

I would rush to the bookstore to buy "How To Write A Dirty Book".  But that's just me...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #170 on: March 19, 2006, 04:36:27 PM »

An unseemly seemly Journey

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #171 on: March 19, 2006, 04:36:57 PM »

I look forward to reading them....

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #172 on: March 19, 2006, 04:37:36 PM »

I'm watching THE QUIET MAN on TCM.  The print they are showing is pretty bad.  It looks like a colorized movie.  I'm sure my DVD copy looks better than this.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: March 19, 2006, 04:45:30 PM »

Just told my muse about I'll See You In My Dreams (which had been the original title - can't remember what possessed me to change it) and she loves that - and now she's torn between The Book Scout and I'll See You In My Dreams, but still likes the former because it has "book" in the title.

Hadn't thought about How To Write A Dirty Book and other stories as a title.  I'd be worried that people would get the wrong idea, but it is sort of amusing.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #174 on: March 19, 2006, 04:54:31 PM »

"Woman of the house!  Where's me tay!"
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #175 on: March 19, 2006, 05:16:03 PM »

I don't know the stories but the titles give a sense that the stories have a thread of dreams, nightmares and memories, or maybe even things that might keep you awake at night.  Must the title actually be one of the stories - I wonder if that places too much emphasis on the titular story in terms of how people will react to the whole collection - or could the title weave certain ideas like THE STUFF OF DREAMS & NIGHTMARES or MEMORIES PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE (just suggestions of where it might go if it doesn't have to be one of the actual stories, but then I'm looking only at the story titles, not the content).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #176 on: March 19, 2006, 05:22:28 PM »

The Book Scout and other (Un) Seemly Stories

You'll See Me In Your Dreams - but that's a different story!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #177 on: March 19, 2006, 05:26:59 PM »

Of course when I first saw the potential titles I thought it said THE BOY SCOUT, rather then THE BOOK SCOUT.

MBarnum

« Reply #178 on: March 19, 2006, 05:27:57 PM »

I am now going to watch SALON MEXICO (1948)...which appears to be a Mexican melodrama, the likes of which I think I will enjoy!

MBarnum

« Reply #179 on: March 19, 2006, 05:29:20 PM »

Digger is in hog heaven because I made a 7 bone roast in the crock pot today!

He is on bone # 1 right now.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up