Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GOLD OF GOLDSMITH  (Read 32501 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: THE GOLD OF GOLDSMITH
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2011, 07:41:22 AM »

And...

PAGE TWO!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2011, 08:04:44 AM »

So, I watched TRUE GRIT last night...and I did enjoy it.

Comparing it to the John Wayne original:

Certainly the Coens Brothers have taken a darker, less humorous approach to the material. 

I really liked the look of the picture, and Matt Damon was much better as the Texas Ranger than Glen Campbell.

The girl was terrific.  If she keeps her head on straight, she could be a big star some day.

John Wayne or Jeff Bridges?

Wayne was a bit more fun, but it's really a toss-up.  Both of them were excellent.

As an overall film, this new version is probably slightly better than the original, but Wayne's movie was good, too, and is a minor classic.  That makes me wonder:

Why bother remaking this story at all?

You can dream…or you can do.

FJL

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2011, 08:08:16 AM »

And now - to Connecticut!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2011, 08:09:19 AM »

DR JOSE - I posted a couple of your ANNIE pics on Facebook.....and I am going to post your TONY SET pic, too!

How exciting.

I am now preparing for my CAMELOT auditions....well....I am prepared, just getting things together....

My topic for today then is......what is your favorite song from CAMELOT - and have you ever seen a production that ran less than ALMOST 3 hours?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2011, 08:09:27 AM »

What did they cut?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2011, 08:12:51 AM »

Oh... Apparently, the rehearsal proper for the The Tony Awards didn't start until 10:30. I think. ???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2011, 08:13:33 AM »

DR JOSE - I posted a couple of your ANNIE pics on Facebook.....and I am going to post your TONY SET pic, too!

How exciting.

I am now preparing for my CAMELOT auditions....well....I am prepared, just getting things together....

My topic for today then is......what is your favorite song from CAMELOT - and have you ever seen a production that ran less than ALMOST 3 hours?

You're Welcome, DR JRand!

As for Camelot... Well... I guess I could go back through the HHW archives.... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2011, 08:13:57 AM »

And now...

Time to leave the apartment for a bit of non-Annie-related stuff.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2011, 08:15:59 AM »

Yes, I too, had six empty messages from DR Michael Shayne on Facebook this morning, so I too believe he's been hacked. I got it on Twitter, to which I never tweet. There are 27 posts from someone claiming to be me, all badly spelled, all grammatical disasters, and I'm wondering if Lady Macbeth is my hacker.

WAIT?!??! HOLD THE PHONE!?!?!? You're on Twitter, DR elmore?!?!?

::)

I follow a few people but I have no idea how to tweet, nor do I wish to.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2011, 08:17:59 AM »

And in other Tony Awards related-news...

I want to send out special ~~~~~ENDURANCE VIBES~~~~~ to Jill Paice. She had Tony rehearsals on Thursday and Friday (she's in the Company segment), plus rehearsals for Death Takes A Holiday, then first preview Friday night, two shows yesterday, then Tony Awards dress rehearsal this morning till 1:00pm, then a matinee at 2:00, then the actual Tony Awards ceremony tonight.

WHEW!!!!

I still have no idea why the Philharmonic COMPANY benefit deserves time on the Tony Awards and I think it's ridiculous.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2011, 08:19:31 AM »

Certainly the Coens Brothers have taken a darker, less humorous approach to the material. 

I really liked the look of the picture, and Matt Damon was much better as the Texas Ranger than Glen Campbell.

The girl was terrific.  If she keeps her head on straight, she could be a big star some day.

Wayne was a bit more fun, but it's really a toss-up.  Both of them were excellent.

As an overall film, this new version is probably slightly better than the original, but Wayne's movie was good, too, and is a minor classic.  That makes me wonder:

Perhaps because it's more faithful to the novel, which the Coen Brothers like immensely?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2011, 08:25:35 AM »

How exciting.

Every song, and I wish "The Persuasion" had been recorded along with some dance music.  When John McGlinn finished the SHOW BOAT recording in 1988, we talked about a complete CAMELOT, with Thomas Hampson as Lancelot (EMI crossover demands), Jeremy Irons as Arthur, and Sarah Brightman or Dreary Te Kanawa as Guinevere; we also talked about a complete recording of Kern's ROBERTA, with Regine Crespin as Madame Roberta, the crazy Kathleen Battle as Stephanie ("Smoke Gets In Your Eyes"), and - I think - Jason Graae in the Bob Hope role.

I saw in 1962 the national company with Arthur Treacher as Pellinore and Louis Hayward as Arthur and (occasionally) Kathryn Grayson as Guinevere. The night I saw it, Ms Grayson was out and Jan Moody was in.I gather from Miles Kreuger thar she missed many performances. It was a gorgeous spectacular bore and I swear it lasted 30 hours!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 08:28:38 AM by elmore3003 »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2011, 08:59:25 AM »

The first time I saw CAMELOT onstage was as a kid in SLC, where Bway Lancelot understudy Robert Peterson, an SLC native, played Arthur.  (Lore has it Peterson played Lancelot more than Goulet due to Goulet's "temperament").  The first act was almost two hours, I remember it to this day--I couldn't believe it. 
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2011, 09:00:04 AM »

I went to high school with Bob Peterson's son--I wonder what became of him?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2011, 09:02:01 AM »

JMK

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2011, 09:02:17 AM »

It's amazing how old all my former high school friends look.  ;)

JMK

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2011, 09:02:40 AM »

The really hilarious thing is Clay used to be one of the resident longhairs of my high school.  :)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2011, 09:16:12 AM »

"How to Handle a Woman"
"If Ever I Would Leave You"
"Camelot" {finale}

Kerry

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2011, 09:33:52 AM »

It's a lovely Sunday-- a bit warm, but then again, it's the desert, and it's June.
I like boat races.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2011, 09:35:14 AM »

Perhaps because it's more faithful to the novel, which the Coen Brothers like immensely?

I never read the book, but in comparing the two movies... storywise, they are pretty close.  True, there are a couple of minor sequences that are left out of one version or the other, but all the main plot points and the essence of story are the same in both.

I think the thing that bothers me most about remaking hit movies is the fact that the new generation that sees the remake is not likely to go back and check out the original, claiming they've "been there, done that".  I think that's very sad...because, more often than not, they miss out on the better version.

The people on this forum might go back and check out the original, but we're "different".  We love movies and theatre.

I recall a story that was going around when MGM turned GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS into the musical with Peter O'Toole.

Some columnist (I don't recall who) said that producer Arthur P. Jacobs (my late friend) wanted MGM to destroy the negative and all prints of the original GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS w/Robert Donat...because he didn't want it around to be compared to his version.

I don't know if that story is true or not, but, thankfully, MGM didn't do it.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2011, 09:36:55 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2011, 09:38:38 AM »

How exciting.

i once saw a summer stock production with only 10 cast members. It was a quick one -- and it didn't make much sense.

It made even less sense when three members of the cast got food poisoning and they had to cancel two performances because there were not enough understudies.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2011, 09:39:11 AM »

How exciting.

Every song, and I wish "The Persuasion" had been recorded along with some dance music.  When John McGlinn finished the SHOW BOAT recording in 1988, we talked about a complete CAMELOT, with Thomas Hampson as Lancelot (EMI crossover demands), Jeremy Irons as Arthur, and Sarah Brightman or Dreary Te Kanawa as Guinevere; we also talked about a complete recording of Kern's ROBERTA, with Regine Crespin as Madame Roberta, the crazy Kathleen Battle as Stephanie ("Smoke Gets In Your Eyes"), and - I think - Jason Graae in the Bob Hope role.

I saw in 1962 the national company with Arthur Treacher as Pellinore and Louis Hayward as Arthur and (occasionally) Kathryn Grayson as Guinevere. The night I saw it, Ms Grayson was out and Jan Moody was in.I gather from Miles Kreuger thar she missed many performances. It was a gorgeous spectacular bore and I swear it lasted 30 hours!
Dreary is being rather kind.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2011, 09:40:33 AM »

And in other Tony Awards related-news...

I want to send out special ~~~~~ENDURANCE VIBES~~~~~ to Jill Paice. She had Tony rehearsals on Thursday and Friday (she's in the Company segment), plus rehearsals for Death Takes A Holiday, then first preview Friday night, two shows yesterday, then Tony Awards dress rehearsal this morning till 1:00pm, then a matinee at 2:00, then the actual Tony Awards ceremony tonight.

WHEW!!!!

I still have no idea why the Philharmonic COMPANY benefit deserves time on the Tony Awards and I think it's ridiculous.
Because Harris is the host, because it plays in theaters around the country next weekend and free commercials are free commercials.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2011, 09:43:21 AM »

As for favorite songs from "Camelot," well, what songs aren't favorites?

I particularly like:

Follow Me
Seven Deadly Virtues
Camelot
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2011, 09:52:32 AM »

How exciting.

You're Welcome, DR JRand!

As for Camelot... Well... I guess I could go back through the HHW archives.... ;)

lol

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2011, 09:55:35 AM »

Interesting comments so far!  Thanks everyone!

Off to SESSION ONE of the auditions.  Perhaps my leads will be there.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2011, 10:05:48 AM »

he basement is dry  sorta
'

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2011, 10:06:14 AM »