Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TONY AWARDS BASH  (Read 17157 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE TONY AWARDS BASH
« on: June 13, 2011, 12:16:44 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were a little tony, and now it is time for you to post until the award-winning cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE TONY AWARDS BASH
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 12:17:58 AM »

And the word of the day is: ETIOLATE!

Michael

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 02:45:12 AM »

a good early morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 03:36:17 AM »

TOD

And here is my rather long rant but I believe it rings true why I don't care for the Tony awards show anymore

Tony's past glory is when they paid tributes during the show.

1) Tribute to the Gershwin from the Uris Theater which was then renamed the Gershwin
2) All the shows that played the Imperial theater
3) The year Sondheim, Herman and Kander/Ebb were nominated and the evening was filled with excerpts from their shows
4) Another year Cy Coleman, Jule Styne and Lloyd Webber. At the end the composers came out and number from a future show were performed. Don't remember what Lloyd Webber did, but Coleman did Hey You In The Back Row from 13 Weeks To Broadwhich (closed on the road) Jule Styne show was Treasure Island called I believe Rainbow High or something like that. George Hearn sang and that show play somewhere in Canada and disappeared basically after that.
5) Fifty years of the Tony Awards where every year was represented even if it was just for a moment
6) 25 years of the Tonys. With many of the original performers singing show from their shows.
7) The wonderful tribute to the late Robert Preston where Barbar Cook and Bernadette Peters sang and Mary Martin talked songs from the shows they did together.
8) Jennifer Holiday and I'm Am Telling You I'm Not Going for me one of the greatest moments
9) The years that Angela Lansbury was the host. For me the last time the show had class. a great moment was her and Beatrice Arthur did Bosom Buddies together with the original choreography!
10) The years where they attempted to do moments from the Best Play nominees. It didn't always work seeing the moments taken out of context but their were valiant tries and sometimes the only chance to see something from those plays.
11) When the shows were done from Broadway house. The last show I remember was done on The Sunset Blvd mansion set. Highlights Michele Lee and Robert Morse singing a song (really a moment) from How To Succeed before presenting an award. Carol Burnett presenting an award and telling the audience that the producers wouldn't allow her to come down the staircase for her entrance.
12) The year from the Shubert theater and A Chorus Line won. They did the opening and closing number from the show which was also the opening closing number from the Broadcast.
13) The year where the 5 best musicals that were still running running on Broadway at the same time presented musical numbers. (A Chorus Line, Annie, Ain't Misbehavin, Sweeney Todd and Evita. (The last time something like this happened)
14) Any time Dorothy Loudon was on the show. (Loved her)
15) Despite being a terrible show I liked that MERLIN was represented by their opening number and I believe Merlin is the only musical nominee (for the longest time) never to receive a cast album recording. BK recorded one song from the show Beyond My Wildest Dreams (With the late and wonderful Michelle Nicastro

2004 was the last time I sat watched the show, although have little memory of (And I went on line to check) the years that  Titanic,  Fosse, Contact and Hairspray won.

And all those wonderful performers who are actual performers. With great actors and singers who were some of the best there every where. No jukebox musicals. No visible microphones. No performers to gear to the 20 something demographics.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 03:37:50 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 03:53:33 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 04:34:29 AM »

Good morning, all! 6:30 came far too early and I am not happpy about it. In another hour I will be out the door, headed for 23rd and Park.

I had another night of peculiar dreams, one of which concerned my British friend Dominic McHugh and somne recording work - I think the wonderful Marilyn Caskey may have been it the dream as well - and one about waiting forever in a train station; my former Barnes & Noble boss Patty was in that dream.

Wen I get back from the McGlinnventory, i have to deal with some EILEEN recording issues, and NAP!

I have very little to say about last night's awards. I posted it all during the broadcast. I enjoyed it immensely and I'm happy some friends won.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 05:28:26 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 04:43:39 AM »

TOD

And here is my rather long rant but I believe it rings true why I don't care for the Tony awards show anymore

Tony's past glory is when they paid tributes during the show.

1) Tribute to the Gershwin from the Uris Theater which was then renamed the Gershwin
2) All the shows that played the Imperial theater
3) The year Sondheim, Herman and Kander/Ebb were nominated and the evening was filled with excerpts from their shows
4) Another year Cy Coleman, Jule Styne and Lloyd Webber. At the end the composers came out and number from a future show were performed. Don't remember what Lloyd Webber did, but Coleman did Hey You In The Back Row from 13 Weeks To Broadwhich (closed on the road) Jule Styne show was Treasure Island called I believe Rainbow High or something like that. George Hearn sang and that show play somewhere in Canada and disappeared basically after that.
5) Fifty years of the Tony Awards where every year was represented even if it was just for a moment
6) 25 years of the Tonys. With many of the original performers singing show from their shows.
7) The wonderful tribute to the late Robert Preston where Barbar Cook and Bernadette Peters sang and Mary Martin talked songs from the shows they did together.
8) Jennifer Holiday and I'm Am Telling You I'm Not Going for me one of the greatest moments
9) The years that Angela Lansbury was the host. For me the last time the show had class. a great moment was her and Beatrice Arthur did Bosom Buddies together with the original choreography!
10) The years where they attempted to do moments from the Best Play nominees. It didn't always work seeing the moments taken out of context but their were valiant tries and sometimes the only chance to see something from those plays.
11) When the shows were done from Broadway house. The last show I remember was done on The Sunset Blvd mansion set. Highlights Michele Lee and Robert Morse singing a song (really a moment) from How To Succeed before presenting an award. Carol Burnett presenting an award and telling the audience that the producers wouldn't allow her to come down the staircase for her entrance.
12) The year from the Shubert theater and A Chorus Line won. They did the opening and closing number from the show which was also the opening closing number from the Broadcast.
13) The year where the 5 best musicals that were still running running on Broadway at the same time presented musical numbers. (A Chorus Line, Annie, Ain't Misbehavin, Sweeney Todd and Evita. (The last time something like this happened)
14) Any time Dorothy Loudon was on the show. (Loved her)
15) Despite being a terrible show I liked that MERLIN was represented by their opening number and I believe Merlin is the only musical nominee (for the longest time) never to receive a cast album recording. BK recorded one song from the show Beyond My Wildest Dreams (With the late and wonderful Michelle Nicastro

2004 was the last time I sat watched the show, although have little memory of (And I went on line to check) the years that  Titanic,  Fosse, Contact and Hairspray won.

And all those wonderful performers who are actual performers. With great actors and singers who were some of the best there every where. No jukebox musicals. No visible microphones. No performers to gear to the 20 something demographics.

I think this is a particularly poor excuse to not care about watching; you were certainly hanging on with questions after the event last night. Your rant's all about a thriving Broadway with stars that is no more and a lot of that nostalgia is for some awful moments of Tony broadcasting.  Watch and learn. You wrote a play this year? Want it to do more than get readings in your area?

Times, tastes, producers and networks change. And with those changes come demands about programming, length and other unpleasant necessities of broadcasting life. I would bet that the early Tony broadcasts lasted longer than now because of fewer commercial breaks. In your rant about things you miss, I can only respondby saying that the theatre of 20 years ago was a much healthier beast thantoday's poor commercial showing.

When I was living outside New York, I watched to catch the excerpts from shows I might like to see - the SPIDERMAN excerpt actually made me think I might want to see it - and I never particularly cared about much of what you miss from past broadcasts.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 05:00:10 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 04:45:15 AM »

And I doubt you'll read any of what I wrote because your posts over and over again show you read very little of ours.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:55:27 AM by elmore3003 »

Ginny

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 05:11:52 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  Up early to start getting the house ready for 1) delivery of our new chairs and 2) the arrival of my cousin from GA.  Both will occur later in the week (chairs on Thursday, cousin on Wednesday), but there's a lot to do.  And I'm having lunch today with Dear Niece/Goddaughter Lauren.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 05:32:13 AM »

Time to head out.

Mr Wiener is all over the news again this morning. His career has crashed and burned almost as quickly as the Hindenberg.

Speaking of screwed up men, where was our DR MBarnum last night? Was he too busy sexting messages to various Tony Awards performers and winners? I knew that lube job this week would get him all worked up and put his panties in a bunch.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 05:43:11 AM »

Another Monday morning without a Tony win for me.  And I was sure I would get one this year.  Oh well.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 05:44:57 AM »

Hmmmm....

TOD:

I always like to see the numbers from the musicals.....from the past, I guess my favorites included:

BLOOD BROTHERS - some DR's heads just exploded, I know
DREAMGIRLS
ANNIE
NINE
JCS

And seeing some of the people whose names I had read on the LP's.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 05:45:12 AM »

Off to do a bit of shopping.

I shall return.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 05:46:37 AM »

Another Monday morning without a Tony win for me.  And I was sure I would get one this year.  Oh well.

I voted for you! Best Mayor Shinn I've seen in years; the actor in the Strohman revival was terrible.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 05:48:47 AM »

WELL,DID YOU EVAH?

WHAT A SWELL PARTY,A SWELL PARTY

WHAT A SWELLEGANT,ELEGANT PARTY THIS IS !!!!

....WAS !!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 05:49:31 AM »

I was pulling for a win for you, DR JRand.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 05:59:39 AM »

I also enjoyed the Tony party last night.  It would be nice if everybody could see the broadcast at the same time, but we managed.  Now I have some curiosity about the Beacon - how have I managed not even to notice it on my many bus and cab rides along that stretch of Broadway?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 05:59:54 AM »

DR JRand wuz robbed!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 06:01:58 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And it's post-Tony Monday.
Make Your Own Luck.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 06:06:50 AM »

And the word of the day is: ETIOLATE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  TIRED

(Thank You Pearlie Mae)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 06:08:53 AM »

I also enjoyed the Tony party last night.  It would be nice if everybody could see the broadcast at the same time, but we managed.  Now I have some curiosity about the Beacon - how have I managed not even to notice it on my many bus and cab rides along that stretch of Broadway?

DR Ginny - The Beacon is at 74th and Broadway. And, actually, it can just look like a movie theater - which it was. -It does have some ornate touches on it's facade, but most of the real beauty of the theater is on the inside. It underwent a multi-month, multi-million dollar renovation back in 2009.

Here's a brief HISTORY of the Theatre.

And here are some pictures of The Beacon BEFORE and AFTER the theatre.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 06:10:32 AM »

DR JRand - FYI: I saw Blood Brothers on Broadway. Three times.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 06:18:42 AM »

TOD:

Last night's broadcast was hit or miss for me, but there were more hits than misses this year.  For one thing, holding it in the Bacon was a welcome change from the Radio City Music Auditorium--I did not miss the screeching teen fans.  And NPH was a very enjoyable host.

And speaking of NPH, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the COMPANY number.  NPH has become my favorite Robert since Dean Jones.  And it was nice to see the other parts cast with appropriately aged performers.  The choreography was fun (though I would have liked to have seen the duo moments with more challenging bits.)  My only major gripe was that the cityscape background was to flashy and overwhelming for the number.  I look forward to seeing the filmed NYP performance.

What I detested about last night's broadcast:  the design and Best Score awards being given out during the commercial breaks.  I hate the idea that the Theatre Wing claims that this is a night to celebrate its participants but then kowtows to the League of Producers (or whatever they're called) who demand that time is given over to performances of stinkers that were not nominated (or not even in the running like SPIDER-MAN.)

Favorite moments from the past:

Jennifer Holiday's "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going"
Little Daisy Eagan tearful acceptance of her Best Actress award for SECRET GARDEN
Whatever year it was when Linda Lavin won for Broadway Bound and it seemed that every winner gave absolutely wonderful acceptance speeches

There's a lot more that I'm not thinking of right now...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 06:19:04 AM »

DR Jose, thanks for the Beacon info.  That location means it's just north of our friends Doug & Jon and just south of DR Elmore.  Something new to check out next time we're in NYC!

Ben

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 06:20:16 AM »

I saw it once (Blood Brothers), and as predicted, my head exploded. I will say that the friend who was with me LOVED, LOVED, LOVED IT and cried and cried. I cried also, but not for the same reasons.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 06:22:24 AM »

DR Ginny - The Beacon is at 74th and Broadway. And, actually, it can just look like a movie theater - which it was. -It does have some ornate touches on it's facade, but most of the real beauty of the theater is on the inside. It underwent a multi-month, multi-million dollar renovation back in 2009.

Here's a brief HISTORY of the Theatre.

And here are some pictures of The Beacon BEFORE and AFTER the theatre.

The Beacon is one damn hunk of gorgeous!  I believe I was in there once during the 80s for a Eurythmics concert, but it was pretty dark and dingy back then.  I would love to see it now!
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 06:23:26 AM »

I saw it once (Blood Brothers), and as predicted, my head exploded. I will say that the friend who was with me LOVED, LOVED, LOVED IT and cried and cried. I cried also, but not for the same reasons.

I share your opine, DR Ben.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 06:28:09 AM »

I was in the Beacon in the 80s as well before the restoration. Vito Russo, a great Gay historian wrote a book called The Celluloid Closet (a history of LGBT people in the movies) and he did presentations around the country based on the book. He did one in the Beacon and I was there. He was great friends with Lily Tomlin. He died from complications of AIDS in 1990. He is missed.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 06:30:00 AM »

TOD:

Loved the opening number last night and also the Jackman/Harris duet. 

Overall, I thought it was a much more entertaining show than they've had the last few years.

As far as past shows are concerned, there is a 3-disc set DVD (Broadway's Lost Treasures) available of musical numbers from past Tony Shows, which is a "must have" for everybody on this forum.

You can dream…or you can do.

Kerry

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 06:31:29 AM »

Whoops-- I forgot to say Good Morning.
I like boat races.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up