Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TONY AWARDS BASH  (Read 17160 times)

Kerry

Re: THE TONY AWARDS BASH
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2011, 06:31:43 AM »

Good Morning.
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2011, 06:39:15 AM »

PAGE TWO!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2011, 06:39:30 AM »

In regard to the merits of Tony Award presentations of the past, I sometimes allow my own nostalgia to think they were better than they actually were.  I've managed over the years to record every single broadcast since 1983 and to acquire copies of just about every other showing since '68.  When I occasionally pull these out for a viewing I'm surprised by what I see.  What I usually recall as a well-behaved audience full of decorum was actually a crowd of grumpy people who look resentful at being forced to come into the theatre district on a Sunday night.  There were hosts such as Henry Fonda in full conservative mode.  Run-on acceptance speeches that make you fully understand the implementation of the 90 second rule. Years when CBS began forcing producer Alex Cohen to use performers from its stable of TV stars.  Performances of Best Musical nominees that were little more than filmed collages of bits from the shows.  It definitely was not always magical back then.

But yeah, there were moments like Angela Lansbury and Bea Arthur doing "Bosom Buddies".
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2011, 06:39:36 AM »

Pick a dance. Any dance.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2011, 06:40:12 AM »

DR Michael S - As for your "rant". Well...

"4) Another year Cy Coleman, Jule Styne and Lloyd Webber. At the end the composers came out and number from a future show were performed. Don't remember what Lloyd Webber did, but Coleman did Hey You In The Back Row from 13 Weeks To Broadwhich (closed on the road) Jule Styne show was Treasure Island called I believe Rainbow High or something like that. George Hearn sang and that show play somewhere in Canada and disappeared basically after that."

I think I got the gist of this "point", but since it's all composed of too many sentence fragments and missing punctuation, well... By the way:
-The title of the Cy Coleman song is "You There in the Back Row".
-"Rainbow High" is from Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber's Evita.
-The Jule Styne/Susan Birkenhead musical based on "Treasure Island" was called Pieces of Eight. Yes, it did star George Hearn, and it played The Citadel Theatre in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada at the end of 1985.

10) The years where they attempted to do moments from the Best Play nominees. It didn't always work seeing the moments taken out of context but their were valiant tries and sometimes the only chance to see something from those plays.

-So, you liked seeing those Best Play segments not work?

And all those wonderful performers who are actual performers. With great actors and singers who were some of the best there every where. No jukebox musicals. No visible microphones. No performers to gear to the 20 something demographics.

-When was the last time you saw a Broadway show on Broadway? You can't properly judge and gauge the current crop of Broadway Actors if you haven't seen any of them. Being exposed to some of them via bk's recordings is not the same thing.
-I bet a good chunk of your favorite Tony moments took place when you were a "20 something".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2011, 06:43:01 AM »

Performances of Best Musical nominees that were little more than filmed collages of bits from the shows.  It definitely was not always magical back then.

I still cringe when I think of the Into to Woods segment. -Which was made a bit more cringe-worthy since they did not let Bernadette Peters (very briefly) reprise her role as The Witch for the ceremony. Instead we got Mrs. Huxtable. ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2011, 06:43:51 AM »

And...

Since I should have started a load of laundry about an hour ago...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2011, 06:48:12 AM »

Performances of Best Musical nominees that were little more than filmed collages of bits from the shows.  It definitely was not always magical back then.

I still cringe when I think of the Into to Woods segment. -Which was made a bit more cringe-worthy since they did not let Bernadette Peters (very briefly) reprise her role as The Witch for the ceremony. Instead we got Mrs. Huxtable. ::)

Yep--that was one of the clip jobs I was thinking of when I wrote that.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2011, 06:52:07 AM »

I could not believe what Frances McDormand was wearing at the Tonys last night. Does anyone know why she came in no make-up, a casual dress and a jean jacket?  I was stunned.

Her speech was touching. And I totally disagree with BK re: the girl who won for Best Featured Actress in a musical. I found her speech to be heartfelt. And those are the kind of speeches i love.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2011, 06:55:04 AM »

BK, the rare Goldsmith I have is not a film.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2011, 06:56:01 AM »

It is his score for Tongues of Angels, a Studio One offering starring Miss Frances Farmer.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2011, 06:57:01 AM »

And her co-star, the late Mr. James MacArthur, informed me he was the only person with a copy, which I obtained through desperate begging.  :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 06:59:26 AM by JMK »

Jennifer

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2011, 07:00:09 AM »

re: the Tonys and the broadway musical numbers.

BK, it's funny, in the notes you say that you thought the shows chose good numbers. But yet you still tear them apart. :)

I actually think that for the most part the shows DID NOT choose the right numbers.  I think that the Book of Mormon song was great. And have not seen the show. But I would have liked to see a group number.

Why didn't Catch Me If you Can do a number with the lead? I found that so odd.

Also i think it's important to showcase those actors who are nominated for awards. I think that Anything Goes did that best with Sutton Foster. She was nominated. She was the star of that number. She won. So people could see why.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2011, 07:03:07 AM »

I could not believe what Frances McDormand was wearing at the Tonys last night. Does anyone know why she came in no make-up, a casual dress and a jean jacket?  I was stunned.

Her speech was touching. And I totally disagree with BK re: the girl who won for Best Featured Actress in a musical. I found her speech to be heartfelt. And those are the kind of speeches i love.

I assumed that Frances McDormand had been burping a baby before she left her home for the awards and that it threw up on her dress.

-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2011, 07:20:50 AM »

That's just Frances McDormand. Very down to earth. Always down to earth.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2011, 07:21:33 AM »

...Or she just didn't bother changing out of her costume from Good People after it closed. ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2011, 07:22:59 AM »

And here's last night's Opening Number.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2011, 07:27:23 AM »

re: the Tonys and the broadway musical numbers.

BK, it's funny, in the notes you say that you thought the shows chose good numbers. But yet you still tear them apart. :)

I actually think that for the most part the shows DID NOT choose the right numbers.  I think that the Book of Mormon song was great. And have not seen the show. But I would have liked to see a group number.

Why didn't Catch Me If you Can do a number with the lead? I found that so odd.

Also i think it's important to showcase those actors who are nominated for awards. I think that Anything Goes did that best with Sutton Foster. She was nominated. She was the star of that number. She won. So people could see why.

DR Jennifer - Most of the groups numbers in The Book of Mormon would have ended up being bleeped-out left and right. And it was nice that they featured Andrew - who was nominated.

And the number from Catch Me If You Can did feature a lead, Norbert Leo Butz - who was nominated and won. -And they even opened with Aaron Tveit - the main lead - who was not nominated.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2011, 07:31:57 AM »

Yep--that was one of the clip jobs I was thinking of when I wrote that.

And when Signature Theatre presented their bit of Into the Woods at the Helen Hayes Awards back in 1995, it was based on that clip/montage. However, it was done without the aid of any pre-recorded clips. And since it was live, I still remember some of the outrageous keyboard programming I had to deal with due to the way the it was edited musically.
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2011, 07:46:13 AM »

There was virtually no tap dancing on the King Tut special I watched last night on Planet Green.  ;)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2011, 07:55:48 AM »

And when I die--
Don't think that I'm a nut!--
Don't want no fancy funeral,
Just one like Ol' King Tut!
King Tut!
He coulda won a Grammy.
King Tut!
Buried in his Jammies.
Born in Arizona,
Moved to Babylonia--
He was born in Arizona,
Got a condo made of stone-a.
King Tut!
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2011, 07:59:33 AM »

I tired rather quickly of the Tonys.  Sacrilege, I know, but it's the truth.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2011, 08:17:37 AM »

Thanks for the write in votes DR's - maybe next year.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2011, 08:20:28 AM »

With the widda Paroo.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2011, 08:22:54 AM »

Beautiful day today, and hoping for about another dozen fine folks at auditions tonight.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2011, 08:42:23 AM »

DR Pogue:  The "replacement" of Jerry Goldsmith's "Legend" score was by Tangerine Dream rather than Pink Floyd.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2011, 09:07:30 AM »

I, too have memories of past Tony Awards (and Oscarcasts, for that matter) which are likely more gilded than they actually were.  But "OH!"...what memories!

I saw Preston and Martin do a number from "I Do! I Do!"  Perhaps it would look archaic today, but it was magical then.  I remember seeing Lansbury win her Tonys for "Dear World" and "Sweeney Todd" and being happy she won.

My favorite moment, like DR Michael Shayne, was the absolutely electrifying "And I Am Telling You" by Jennifer Holliday.  I had no expectations when I watched that Tony show.  I'd heard of the nominees but knew nothing about "Dream Girls".   I remember standing up well before it was over and my entire body was covered with chillblains.   I've never had a more electrifying TV moment.

Our good memories are golden because they brought us pleasure.   Because we have those memories, they color our perceptions of things we see today...and many times, the newer things come up somewhat "lacking" in the memory-making department.  Of course, a single number on a Tony show does not represent an entire work...and I'm certain we all realize that.  Still, it's the lasting impression many of us get about that show.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:41:37 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2011, 09:15:45 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Laundry - Done!
Vacuuming - Done!
Packing - Done... Almost! ;)

*I actually don't have much to pack here in the apartment. I sort of mis-judged and planned when and how to take down my "stuff", so I'll be back up this weekend and next for basically a day to fetch more of said "stuff" out of my storage unit.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2011, 09:17:21 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - Very well said.

-And where were what did you do this past weekend?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2011, 09:17:34 AM »

It's so easy to misjudge one's stuff.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up