Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TONY AWARDS BASH  (Read 17161 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: THE TONY AWARDS BASH
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2011, 09:20:54 AM »

And now...

PAGE THREE!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2011, 09:22:47 AM »

And so easy to misjudge what to do with the pictures we take of our stuff.

Oh.  You are talking about other stuff.

Never mind.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2011, 09:23:17 AM »

Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2011, 09:23:37 AM »

I was in the Beacon in the 80s as well before the restoration. Vito Russo, a great Gay historian wrote a book called The Celluloid Closet (a history of LGBT people in the movies) and he did presentations around the country based on the book. He did one in the Beacon and I was there. He was great friends with Lily Tomlin. He died from complications of AIDS in 1990. He is missed.

I just got a copy this new biography of my late friend Vito Russo. The author interviewed me for the book and I'm mentioned for Vito's appearance as host for a movie concert with the NYC Gay Men's Chorus. He was one of the best! I still miss him.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:32:59 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2011, 09:23:45 AM »

And so easy to misjudge what to do with the pictures we take of our stuff.

Oh.  You are talking about other stuff.

Never mind.

'Nuff said.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2011, 09:25:41 AM »

And...

Since it really is too easy to wile away the hours here on the interwebs, I'm going to log off for a bit and finish getting ready for today's bus ride down to DC.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2011, 09:27:01 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2011, 09:27:46 AM »

DR Druxy mentioned those Broadway's Lost Treasures dvds and I always wondered if the rumor was true that the initial shipments of Volume One (supposedly recalled) actually did contain Holliday's "And I'm Not Telling You" and "Turkey Lurkey Time".
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2011, 09:28:15 AM »

I could not believe what Frances McDormand was wearing at the Tonys last night. Does anyone know why she came in no make-up, a casual dress and a jean jacket?  I was stunned.

Her speech was touching. And I totally disagree with BK re: the girl who won for Best Featured Actress in a musical. I found her speech to be heartfelt. And those are the kind of speeches i love.

That's just Frances McDormand. Very down to earth. Always down to earth.

If you'd ever seen the late Geraldine Page in public, you'd have taken her for a dirty, smelly homeless bag lady. Trust me. She'd arrive at the theatre looking like she was there to clean the bathrooms.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2011, 09:29:32 AM »

Michael S., I believe the ALW song from that segment was "Tell Me on a Sunday" from "Song & Dance."
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2011, 09:30:39 AM »

Performances of Best Musical nominees that were little more than filmed collages of bits from the shows.  It definitely was not always magical back then.

I still cringe when I think of the Into to Woods segment. -Which was made a bit more cringe-worthy since they did not let Bernadette Peters (very briefly) reprise her role as The Witch for the ceremony. Instead we got Mrs. Huxtable. ::)

Yep--that was one of the clip jobs I was thinking of when I wrote that.

And when Signature Theatre presented their bit of Into the Woods at the Helen Hayes Awards back in 1995, it was based on that clip/montage. However, it was done without the aid of any pre-recorded clips. And since it was live, I still remember some of the outrageous keyboard programming I had to deal with due to the way the it was edited musically.

Mr Schaffer srikes again. When I was scoring ASSASSINS for Signature, I had to deviate from the published score and follow thngs on the cast recording. Neither the brightest bulb in the lamp nor a possessor of great ingenuity.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2011, 09:31:24 AM »

Thanks for the write in votes DR's - maybe next year.

Then you'd better land a spectacular role like this year!

John G.

« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2011, 09:31:50 AM »

Favorite Tony moments of course include the already mentioned "Grand Hotel" and "On the 20th Century" numbers. But I also remember loving, for the sheer weirdness of it all, a scene from "Nicholas Nickleby" as presented by Susan Anton, Dorothy Loudon, Sandy Duncan and Tom Wopat!

― Voltaire

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2011, 09:31:55 AM »

"Somebody stole all my stuff!"

(photo from the Valley High production of FOR COLORED GIRLS--I couldn't find a pic from the B'way show...)
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2011, 09:35:11 AM »

"Somebody stole all my stuff!"

(photo from the Valley High production of FOR COLORED GIRLS--I couldn't find a pic from the B'way show...)

Here's the original poster.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2011, 09:37:03 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - Very well said.

-And where were what did you do this past weekend?

I slept in on Saturday!  I had a nice long telephone conversation with an old friend.   I watched some Warner Archive discs..."A Stolen Life" and "Fog Over Frisco".

I fired up my newly refurbished (new heating element) electric grill and cooked a rib-eye steak, grilled a potato and two ears of corn, and later BBQ'ed a rack of ribs for my Sunday munching.

Yesterday, I chatted with my mom, watched the season finale of "Glee" on my DVR, and, because of a brief (an hour or so) power outage, began reading a new book -- Armistead Maupin's "Mary Ann in Autumn."   The book was so engrossing, I read it through to the end, a couple of hours after power was restored.

Happily, Maupin has left the door open (WIDE open) for a sequel.   I think it demands a sequel, actually.  Lots of true "Tales of the City" moments with surprising twists and turns, including one very upsetting one.

I recorded the Tony show...flipping back and forth between it and a mini-Frasier marathon on another channel, but one featuring a few favorite episodes.    I'll watch the complete Tony show when I transfer it to my HDD recorder.

I also putzed around ironing some shirts and getting ready for work today.

And you?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2011, 09:38:01 AM »

I actually have that cast recording--has that ever been released on cd?

I also have a very shabby copy of the window poster--I'll have to see if a nicer one is up on eBay one of these days...
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2011, 09:39:45 AM »

DR Druxy mentioned those Broadway's Lost Treasures dvds and I always wondered if the rumor was true that the initial shipments of Volume One (supposedly recalled) actually did contain Holliday's "And I'm Not Telling You" and "Turkey Lurkey Time".

And Florence Henderson's Fanny.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2011, 09:40:52 AM »

Maybe I'll go for the playwrighting Tony next season.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2011, 09:43:17 AM »

Write a play about dinosaurs.  The time is ripe for a good play on B'way about dinosaurs.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2011, 09:45:49 AM »

Ha!  The best line from last night's Tonys:

"I just had to stop Daniel Radcliffe from poking out the War Horse's eyes." -- NPH
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2011, 09:50:57 AM »

Write a play about dinosaurs.  The time is ripe for a good play on B'way about dinosaurs.

My fave is still THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH, so the new one better be good!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2011, 09:53:57 AM »

I was in the Beacon in the 80s as well before the restoration. Vito Russo, a great Gay historian wrote a book called The Celluloid Closet (a history of LGBT people in the movies) and he did presentations around the country based on the book. He did one in the Beacon and I was there. He was great friends with Lily Tomlin. He died from complications of AIDS in 1990. He is missed.

I just got a copy this new biography of my late friend Vito Russo. The author interviewed me for the book and I'm mentioned for Vito's appearance as host for a movie concert with the NYC Gay Men's Chorus. He was one of the best! I still miss him.

DR Elmore or DR Ben, how far back did Vito Russo's friendship with Lily Tomlin go?  Was he the "Vito" that her Ernestine would occasionally chat with?
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2011, 10:05:56 AM »

Dinosaurs......yes....that is a great idea.

Brontosaurus - Turn Off the Dark.....yes.....

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2011, 10:12:56 AM »

I was thinking more in line of a drama, DR JRand.  Something like Vanessa Redgrave raising a dinosaur from an egg, and the consequences it has on her and her family as it grows to maturity.  Sort of a mix of LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT and GORGO.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2011, 10:14:39 AM »

DR Elmore or DR Ben, how far back did Vito Russo's friendship with Lily Tomlin go?  Was he the "Vito" that her Ernestine would occasionally chat with?

I only knew Vito well the last couple of years of his life and during that period, when he was working on the Men's Chorus concert, he was a little pissed at Ms Tomlin for her refusal to come out. We had asked him if she might do a guest appearance. I think at the time she was being difficult about the film of CELLULOID CLOSET. Their friendship went back some ways, and I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't the referenced Vito.

Vito also had the filmed footage of Bette Midler's act at the Continental Baths, and I wonder where tha is now. When he got too ill to leave his apartment, we'd talk on the phone. My last memory of him is getting him free house seats for the Rosemary Harris revival of HAY FEVER.

I see there's a documentary being made about him.
http://vitorussomovie.com/
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:18:07 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2011, 10:15:05 AM »

I was thinking more in line of a drama, DR JRand.  Something like Vanessa Redgrave raising a dinosaur from an egg, and the consequences it has on her and her family as it grows to maturity.  Sort of a mix of LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT and GORGO.

LOL!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2011, 10:15:29 AM »

Maybe there could be a scene where the dinosaur eats her opium stash.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2011, 10:18:36 AM »

I've made my phone call and left a message.

Ben

« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2011, 10:25:33 AM »

And I'm working to get us to Page 4
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up