Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: KICKSTARTER  (Read 16587 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
KICKSTARTER
« on: June 18, 2011, 12:01:43 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were kickstarted, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they've currently started a Kickstarter project to raise some MOOlah.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: KICKSTARTER
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 12:03:16 AM »

And the word of the day is: EMBONPOINT!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 12:17:59 AM »

As promised, the new Kritzerland release.  Great value for money - almost eighty minutes of music.  You know the routine - it's 19.98 plus 3.75 shipping (23.73) paid via paypal to kritzerland at adelphia dot net.

Kritzerland is proud to present a limited edition double-bill soundtrack: 

THE PRIDE AND THE PASSION
Music Composed by George Antheil  Conducted by Ernest Gold

and

KINGS GO FORTH
Music Composed and Conducted by Elmer Bernstein

The Pride and the Passion, a United Artists film made in 1957 by producer and director Stanley Kramer, was a huge production with three major stars, Cary Grant, Frank Sinatra, and Sophia Loren, thousands of extras, a rather large cannon, and the grandeur of VistaVision and Technicolor.  Adapted from the C.S. Forester novel, The Gun, The Pride and the Passion takes place in Spain during the Napoleonic wars.   A British captain (played by Grant) is ordered to find and bring back to the British lines a large cannon, which will then be used to attack the French garrison at Avila.  Along the way, there are trials and tribulations, romance, adventure, excitement, and a rousing climactic battle scene in which some survive and some don’t.

The film opened to mixed reviews, although most of them praised the production itself.  Variety said, “Top credit must go to the production.  The panoramic, long range views of the marching and terribly burdened army, the painful fight to keep the gun mobile through ravine and over waterway – these are major pluses.”  However, with star power like Grant, Sinatra, and Loren, the reviews didn’t matter and the film had a healthy box-office and was one of the twenty highest-grossing films of its year.

Helping the film immeasurably was the colorful and dramatic score by George Antheil. Antheil’s output was quite varied and he wrote some terrific scores for such films as The Plainsman, Knock On Any Door, We Were Strangers, The Fighting Kentuckian, Tokyo Joe, House By The River, In A Lonely Place, The Sniper, Not As A Stranger, and many others.  The Pride and the Passion is at the top of Antheil’s film work.   Symphonic, suffused with Spanish color and wonderful themes, as well as containing a couple of beautiful choral cues, the music is glorious and works wonderfully in the film.

A year later, United Artists released Kings Go Forth, which takes place in the final years of World War II in Southern France.  Adapted from the novel by Harry Joe Brown (who had two other excellent films adapted from his books – Stars In My Crown and Addie Pray, which became Paper Moon), and directed by the wonderful and very underrated Delmer Daves (Broken Arrow, 3:10 To Yuma, Cowboy, A Summer Place, and many others), the film starred Frank Sinatra, Tony Curtis and Natalie Wood.   The film features one of Sinatra’s best performance, as well as a brilliant score by Elmer Bernstein.

1958 was an incredible year for Elmer Bernstein, writing scores for such disparate films as Desire Under The Elms, Saddle The Wind, God’s Little Acre, Anna Lucasta, The Buccaneer, Some Came Running, and Kings Go Forth.  Despite the prodigious output for that year, he provided one of his best scores for Kings Go Forth.  The score then runs the Bernstein gamut – from action music, to scene-setting music, to romantic music, to a couple of jazz sequences (featuring Red Norvo, Pete Condoli, and others).  It’s Elmer Bernstein from his early period and there’s just nothing like his music from that era.

Both The Pride and the Passion and Kings Go Forth were originally issued on Capitol Records.  They were issued on CD in the United Kingdom by Cloud Nine Records (but not coupled together) – those issues have been out of print for many, many years.  For this release, we have gone back to the original first generation album masters housed in the Capitol vaults.   For those who have the LP issues you will note two changes:  On The Pride and the Passion we have omitted the track “Juana’s Flamenco” as it was not composed by Antheil and is basically lifted from the actual film track and consists of loud guitar strumming, loud singing, and loud flamenco stomping and yelling; it interrupts the flow of the score and its presentation and not in a good way.  On Kings Go Forth, side one and two of the LP both contained a track entitled “Monique’s Theme.”  One listen to each track easily confirmed that it was simply the exact same track repeated – we have removed its second use as it is redundant and exactly the same track as the earlier one.  Additionally, we have reinstated the track “Britt’s Blues,” which was left off the Cloud Nine release.   Both scores are presented in their original mono sound.

This release is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price of the CD is $19.98, plus shipping.   Additionally, we are offering a special deal with the purchase of this release.  Go to the item page and click on the link to find out about it.

CD will ship the last week of July – however, never fear, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 12:33:56 AM »

Good morning, all. Actually, it's almost good night for me. Last night here. I leave tomorrow and am not looking forward to it.

Went snorkeling this morning near the beach across the street from the condo. Amazing fish and sea urchins and the like. But I don't have an underwater camera, so take my word for it. It was like "Finding Nemo" only not cute.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 12:37:50 AM »

TOD: Every time I cross the border to Mexico, I marvel at how much better the Mexican food is there than in Texas. My favorite meal would have to have been with a group of friends at a restaurant in Matamoros, across the border from Brownsville, called Mi Pueblito. Spectacular food and margaritas. We started with two different types of sauteed mushrooms, one in white wine, the other with ancho chiles. It was followed by a mixed grill plate with fajitas, chicken, beef ribs that looked like something prehistoric, sausages and who knows what all else. It was meant for four, but the seven of us had a hard time eating most of it. Handmade corn tortillas and guacamole on the side, plus borracho beans. And the margaritas were amazing.

Sad thing, the town has been overrun by drug lords and it's just too dangerous to go back there any more.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 12:43:19 AM »

I have just ordered PRIDE AND THE PASSION/KINGS GO FORTH, and I'm now an official backer of The First Nudie Musical Film Restoration Project! :D

I want to see my name in the credits! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 03:58:35 AM »

TOD:

I don't care for Mexican style food. But if a group of us goes to a restaurant I will find something to digest
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 04:00:29 AM »

BK FROM YESTERDAY MAKING MOVIE FROM PHOTO BOORTH

I believe the reason you did not get any sound is that you do have speakers attached. I do not have anything external attached to my laptop and it works fine.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 04:05:53 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 04:05:37 AM »

BK RE KICKSTARTER

I just did some kicking  good luck
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 04:08:04 AM »

I do recommend (and I don't do it that often) that you search out COMPANY on the big screen. I believe Sunday is the last day to see. It's a lot better than the version where the cast played their own instruments a few years back.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 04:08:44 AM »

Oh I forgot. Good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 04:45:27 AM »

Saturday.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 04:48:46 AM »

CD ordered.

If I read the Kickstarter/Amazon payment page correctly - you are NOT charged for your donation until July 17 - and then only if the project reaches its goal.  So no need to wait another week - get on the list.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 04:49:02 AM »

Work day....all day.  Again.  Oh well.

Ginny

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 05:08:02 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  Sorry to have disappeared yesterday - by the time the day ended I was beyond tired and fell into bed about midnight.  Richard and I went with my cousin Perry and his wife Jessica to meet with the chaplain at the retirement community who will perform today's service (with some assistance from Fr. Richard).  Then we went up to visit with my Mom for a few minutes and then to my Aunt's former room to start gathering her belongings.  Perry and Jess then left for the airport to pick up his brother Dan and Yukko who DID arrive, but Dan's suitcase did not.  Richard and I went to Seeger's, the nearby deli/meat market because Richard had not had lunch.  No dinner had been planned, so I bought enough of their chopped sirloin patties for the gang, added some side dishes, recruited some help from my sister and niece, and ended up having a dinner party for 12.

Today before we gather at 4:15 for the 5pm service:

--My sister is taking Mom grocery shopping
--Dan and Perry have to sign papers at the funeral home and continue on their Mom's belongings
--I'm taking Jessica, Yukko, Mary Linda, and her sister to the outlet mall that's across from the hotel where the relatives are staying
--Richard will enjoy our quiet house
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 05:16:15 AM »

Thoughts with you today DR GINNY.

Ginny

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 05:21:23 AM »

Thank you, DR JRand.  Despite the circumstances, there is a lot of laughter going on when we're together.  My niece has described what we're experiencing as "grief with relief."
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 05:33:15 AM »

And the word of the day is: EMBONPOINT!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  TOO FAT POLKA

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 05:51:55 AM »

TOD:

El Coyote on Beverly in Los Angeles.

You can dream…or you can do.

Laura

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 06:04:38 AM »

Good morning.

My thought are also with you and your family today, Ginny. I understand the grief with relief thing.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 06:10:19 AM »

Interesting. A fireworks show started a fire in downtown Phoenix last night. It was put out very quickly. The same thing happened at the Arizona State University graduation. These were professionals. Imagine what will happen next month with the newly-legalized consumer fireworks.

Laura

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 06:11:31 AM »

TOD: We have lots of Mexican food places here. My DH won't eat Mexican food, so I go with friends when I have some.

Ginny

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2011, 06:19:11 AM »

Thank you, DR Laura.

Ginny

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2011, 06:26:18 AM »

As it stands now, my mother has sat in my new recliner for a longer period of time than I have  :-\

Laura

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2011, 06:27:29 AM »

Is Aunt Jo your mom's sister?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2011, 06:27:40 AM »

Good morning, all! I was awake around 6am, after a dreadful dream that my evil brother Macbeth had stolen all my money and left me stranded in a hotel in London. I went back to bed and slept untl 8:30.  I am now bathed and dressed and listening to the complete BBC Radio broadcast of Kurt Weill's One Touch of Venus.

While I'm waiting for more edits for EILEEN, I will continue working on my personal project. I do have a trip to the post office to send a package to a castrecl friend in Pittsburgh.

DR Ginny, where is the funeral for your aunt taking place? Where are they burying her?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Good weekend and good health vibes for everyone! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2011, 06:43:20 AM »

Wishing broken legs to both Druxy and BK today on their readings!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 06:52:56 AM »

DD UPDATE!!!!   Major break through!!  DD Ben and I have had 2, count them 2 successful walks with the leash.  Seems as though the harness and the retractable leash was a good idea.  Not to mention the hour or so he spent with my 10 1/2 year old niece (the dog whisperer) who has the patience of a saint, doing her magic getting him used to it.  Once we settle in to a routine, we will be in fine shape.  I did leave him alone for the first time last night in his play pen while I went to rehearsal, and I was a wreck the whole time.  He did well, although he did pee on the floor (of the kitchen), but i should have really taken him out before I left.  So, he gets a bye on that one. 

He's a good boy.  I'm glad he's here, and I think he is too :)

Laura

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2011, 06:55:59 AM »

I'm glad it's all looking better, Matthew.

Laura

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2011, 06:56:30 AM »

It's as stressful a time in his life as it is in yours.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up