Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: RESTING THE EYEBALLS  (Read 19448 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
RESTING THE EYEBALLS
« on: June 20, 2011, 12:09:51 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were easy on the eyeballs, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're trying to figure out why there is such a word as eyeball.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: RESTING THE EYEBALLS
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 12:10:48 AM »

And the word of the day is: VIRILOCAL!

Ben

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 02:19:28 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Michael

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 03:58:33 AM »

good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

FJL

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 04:43:22 AM »

Actually, the biggest during-the-show standing ovation at FOLLIES yesterday was at the end of "Who's That Woman" - and as it happens, the next line of the Stella Deems character after that number is "What a blast."

The audience chose to be at the final D.C. performance and (mis)behaved accordingly

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 04:56:25 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 04:57:08 AM »

TOD: The Kalevala, Finnland's national epic and source of inspiration for plenty of Sibelius' work. Plenty of Cole Porter biographies.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 05:51:04 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  This is the first morning since last Wednesday that we haven't had someone in our guest room - and it was a different combination of people each night, Wednesday-Saturday.  Seems pretty quiet...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 05:55:52 AM »

Enjoy the quiet I always say, DR Ginny.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 05:58:26 AM »

TOD - I am currently reading Jerry Orbach: Prince of the City by John Anthony Gilvey.  As with his book about Gower Champion, I find Gilvey's writing style kind of awkward.  But the subject matter more than makes up for that.

Fiction-wise, on my Kindle I'm reading Susan Vreeland's Clara and Mr. Tiffany.  She's one of my favorite novelists and I especially want to get well into this book before Richard and I go to Cincinnati's Taft Museum to see the current exhibit of Tiffany angel windows.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 05:59:45 AM »

Enjoy the quiet I always say, DR Ginny.

Oh, I am, DR Dan (the Man).  I'm also enjoying the birds' singing and other outside noises, because last night we were able to turn off the AC and open the windows.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 06:00:23 AM »

TOD:

I am currently reading this year's 1 Book 1 Tweet (or is it 1 Tweet 1 Book) selection, THE BLIND ASSASSIN by Margaret Atwood.  While it's not the kind of book I would normally choose to read, I am enjoying it and the lively discussion of it on Twitter.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 06:12:32 AM »

Good morning, all! Around 2 am, I awoke with horrid stomach pains and was a restless sleeper and floorpacer for a couple of hours. Around 5:30 all seemed to be good and I slept until 8:15 or so. I wanted to sleep longer, but I have to be at my local social security office at 11 this morning to register as an Old Coot and to see some of the money I've been paying into Social Security for the past 46 years.

On the EILEEN front, a score to be proofed has come in, so I can go back to work on that project. On my way to SS I will stop at Staples and enlarge the printout to 11x17 paper.

That's pretty much my day. As to the TOD, I've got the following on my reading table:
    The new Annotated Pride & Prejudice
    Christopher Plummer's autobiography
    The new biography of my friend Vito Russo
    The Terror: The Shadow of the Guillotine, France 1792-1794

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 06:12:48 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm not at my storage unit. And that's O.K.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 06:23:48 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

I still making my way through two food-related memoirs:

-"Born Round" by the former Dining Critic for the New York Times, Frank Bruni.
-"Blood, Bones & Butter" by Chef Gabrielle Hamilton - who recently won a Best Chef award from the James Beard Foundation.

It's been quite interesting comparing and contrasting both writer's relationship with and to food - and sometimes "against" it.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 06:25:37 AM »

And for those DRs who care about such things, the currently Broadway revival of Born Yesterday will close on June 26, a month earlier than scheduled.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 06:27:27 AM »

bk - Just saw your tweets about the Kickstarter campaign for "TFNM" and your new releases on Kritzerland... -You need an avatar - that "egg" usually signifies a spam account. -I shall retweet accordingly.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 06:43:14 AM »

TOD:

Non-fiction-wise, I recently finished POSITIVELY 4th STREET by David Hajdu.  It's about the folk music scene of the early 60s, though it mostly revolves around the careers of Joan Baez and Bob Dylan along with two others I only barely knew of, Richard Farina and Baez's sister, Mimi Baez Farina.  The book was interesting to me in that I learned that rock 'n' roll had actually lost its momentum and popularity with the college age crowd in the late 50s/early 60s and that folk music was being embraced instead.  Also interesting to learn about Baez and Dylan's early connection and their climbs to fame.  And while I had heard of Richard Farina, I never knew what his role was in these early days of the counter culture of the 60s.

However, I think that Hajdu is a terrible writer.  As with his other book I read on the comic book industry, he seems to dislike everyone he writes about and paints completely unflattering portraits of them.  Baez achieved her fame by stealing the songs and styles of other artists and ultimately becomes a naive radical-chic dupe who attempts to maintain a clingy, needy dependant relationship with Dylan.  Dylan is a weasel who lies constantly about himself and others.  And the worst of the lot is Farina, who is an opportunistic, fame-thirsty glory-hound who uses and discards people on his quest for stardom as either a writer or musician.  Even if these portrayals are half true, Hajdu makes wild assumptions about the motivations of the people he writes about that are based on simple events or actions.  He's the kind of muckraker that would be right at home working at Fox News.  Feh!
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 06:49:43 AM »

bk - Just saw your tweets about the Kickstarter campaign for "TFNM" and your new releases on Kritzerland... -You need an avatar - that "egg" usually signifies a spam account. -I shall retweet accordingly.

How about the Kritzerland banner that's at the top of the website (shrunken down but retaining as much resolution as possible?)

-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 06:54:15 AM »

I think I tried to do an avatar once and it didn't work.  Is it just uploading the photo?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 06:55:01 AM »

I'm up, have announced everywhere and am contemplating sleep again.  I did give myself an early morning standing ovation, though :)

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 06:56:20 AM »

Has Any DR seen the DVD or Blu-Ray of PILLARS OF THE EARTH?
Is Worth Buying?

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 07:00:47 AM »

DD Ben will do what he wants to do, when he wants to do it.  Typical German. 

(no offense to HUMAN Germans here, of course)

Ben

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 07:01:44 AM »

I'm glad I'm not German ;)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 07:04:01 AM »

Has Any DR seen the DVD or Blu-Ray of PILLARS OF THE EARTH?
Is Worth Buying?

I liked it very much. I did find several of the dark scenes to be very very dark, but I really enjoyed the series, especialy how little people aged over 40years worth of time. Who know the 12th Century was so good for complexions?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 07:09:58 AM »

That's pretty much my day. As to the TOD, I've got the following on my reading table:
    The new Annotated Pride & Prejudice
    Christopher Plummer's autobiography
    The new biography of my friend Vito Russo
    The Terror: The Shadow of the Guillotine, France 1792-1794

DR elmore and/or other DRs - Have you come across this book?

Showtime: A History of the Broadway Musical Theater by Richard Stempel

A friend of mine is taking a college course this summer, and that will be his text book.
Make Your Own Luck.

Kerry

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 07:13:16 AM »

It's morning.  And it is most definitely Monday.
I like boat races.

Amy

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 07:13:18 AM »

I realize I'm a day late in posting. I apologize for my tardiness. The reading was great fun, and the cake was fabulous. I'm afraid it was my fault the cake gotten eaten up so quickly. I ended up slicing most of it - there was no knife, so I used the handle of a fork, and it's difficult to cut small slices with the end of a fork. Anyway, thank you, Bruce, for inviting us to lunch. We also enjoyed the company very much.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 07:13:51 AM »

I think I tried to do an avatar once and it didn't work.  Is it just uploading the photo?

Yes. Just click on your Name in the top right-hand corner, then Settings -> Profile -> Picture. -Just follow the prompts.

For your own haineshisway account, I'd suggest the one you use here on HHW and elsewhere.

For Kritzerland, I'd suggest uploading an image of your current/latest release.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 07:20:20 AM »

I'm up, have announced everywhere and am contemplating sleep again.  I did give myself an early morning standing ovation, though :)

Hmmm, this could be  a fun running gag, like Cranberries and Post deleted, couldn't it?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up