Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: MY HEART BELONGS TO LESLIE  (Read 35923 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:MY HEART BELONGS TO LESLIE
« Reply #210 on: May 21, 2004, 09:56:01 PM »

Have only gotten to 149.800 at Bookworm.....fire fire fire!!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jed

« Reply #211 on: May 21, 2004, 09:57:20 PM »

Hey what was our Bookworm high score? 'Cause I just got 365,760.  

Oh yeah!  ;D

Yowza!  Ok, you win!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #212 on: May 21, 2004, 10:04:20 PM »

*Takes a bow*

This is the biggest thing I have accomplished in a week. It's been a slow week.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jed

« Reply #213 on: May 21, 2004, 10:09:28 PM »

Treat yourself to some celebratory floop.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #214 on: May 21, 2004, 10:13:04 PM »

No floop (out of chow mein noodles), but I have a carton of ice cream. Chocolate Truffle Explosion.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #215 on: May 21, 2004, 10:27:56 PM »

Just got back from seeing DIVAN. Enjoyed it. A funny and strangely moving little film. I realized a weird thing -- I can sort of understand Yiddish when it's spoken with a thick Hungarian accent. Not that I ever heard Yiddish spoken in my house - nobody knew from Yiddish. But I can understand German pretty well -- and Yiddish is Germanic enough that when it's spoken with a Hungarian accent it's a piece of (Dobos) cake.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #216 on: May 21, 2004, 10:35:26 PM »

quote author=JoseSPiano link=board=4;threadid=279;start=msg44927#msg44927 date=1085158871]I'm puzzled.  All four three-named composers (Guettel's middle name is YouHaveToLikeMeBecauseI'mRichardRodgers'Grandson) have plenty of work done here in the 21st Century.

Gordon had My Life With Albertine, and I think The Tibetian Book of the Dead.  Probably another one I'm forgetting.  Michael John LaChiusa wrote The Wild Party as well as an off-Broadway musical, was it called Little Fish? and I heard a wonderful song he wrote in response to 9/11.  Brown's always writing: There was The Last Five Years and some uncountable number of songs for Urban Cowboy.  And Guettel, as you mentioned, did The Light in the Piazza.

-But are any of those shows still running?  And does Urban Cowboy really count?  ;-)

In any case...  I knew I had left some shows off my "list", and I didn't mean to come across so "general".  My sincere apologies to the four composers for not mentioning everything they've written since 2000.  ;)

Oh, btw:

What's your middle name, Noel?

<tongue is planted firmly in cheek>
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #217 on: May 21, 2004, 10:37:44 PM »

I'm going to see DIVAN tonight. A feature-length documentary which sounds totally bizarre and fascinating.
"Divan is the quest for a turn of the century Hungarian couch upon which Hassidic rabbis slept."

When I saw the review of this film today, Dear Reader Panni, I figured you'd be amongst the first to see it.  Glad you enjoyed!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #218 on: May 21, 2004, 10:40:05 PM »

Any Caterina Valente's "afficionados" around here? :)

I must confess:  I am only familiar with her recording of "The Wind and I."  But my heart skips each time I hear it come on the radio (which is all too infrequently.)  It's thrilling!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 10:49:14 PM by Jay »

Jay

« Reply #219 on: May 21, 2004, 10:53:29 PM »

Thanks Jed.  I don’t go to McDonalds unless to make a pit stop when traveling.  Too bad I didn’t know about these before our trip to LA.  I just called the Ashland McDonald’s and they don’t have them.  In fact they thought they were just a California thing.

I'm from California and I can assure you that today is the first I've ever heard of Dippin' Dots.

While the flavor explosion that Dear Reader Jason described sounds interesting, the thought of eating deep-frozen pellets gives me pause.  The thought of eating pellets at any temperature, as a matter of fact, gives me pause, as I associate pellets with animal food.  And snail bait.  And other assorted unappetizing items.

Jason

« Reply #220 on: May 21, 2004, 11:03:15 PM »

DR Jay: Don't knock it til you try it. I assure you, they're a taste sensation!

Tomovoz

« Reply #221 on: May 21, 2004, 11:05:20 PM »

I thought Caterina would be more widely  known - she was one of "The Entertainers" variety show with Carol Burnette and Dom Deloise.  "The Beeze and I" was a major hit here in 1956. I remember it well (a Dan the Man reference!).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #222 on: May 21, 2004, 11:23:01 PM »

I sampled Dippin' Dots once and didn't care for them. Mind you it was only a sample - but if I'm going to have ice cream, I'd rather have creamy ice cream than frozen pellets.  

Panni

« Reply #223 on: May 21, 2004, 11:27:22 PM »

When I saw the review of this film today, Dear Reader Panni, I figured you'd be amongst the first to see it.  Glad you enjoyed!

I think you'd like it, Jay. Did you see "Trembling Before G-d"? - A fascinating docu about being gay and Orthodox -- not a desirable combo, to say the least. If you haven't seen it, you should rent it.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #224 on: May 21, 2004, 11:31:27 PM »

Dippin' Dots is a brand of ice cream here in the States. It's literally little pellets of ice cream, frozen solid with dry ice, and mixed with other flavored pellets to make your favorite flavor combination. For example, today I had banana split, which consisted of banana (yellow) pellets, chocolate (brown) pellets, strawberry (pink) pellets and vanilla (white) pellets. You allow the pellets to melt in your mouth and all of a sudden you have this great flavor combination. They're extremely cold--they steam from the cup--and they feel really weird in your mouth while they're melting. I love them...I think I'm in the minority, though. Great fun!

I don't like them because they're too cold...at least the ones that I've had.  They were so cold that I couldn't taste them at all, even after they sort of melted.  My tongue was too numb for too long.  Maybe I need to get them and let them melt for quite a while before I eat them.  I'll try that next time.  I do like the idea of them.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #225 on: May 22, 2004, 12:03:03 AM »

Of course I think DR Panni could ship the entire collection to a retirement home in Upper Beaconsfield Ayustralia. Only two human residents but there are also two appreciative dogs. Don't worry about the sapling - it would not get past quarantine; even with the help of its friend the singing box.
Just trying to be helpful.

You could also send a few selections up to the Pacific Northwest!  It gets mightly lonely up here with nuttin' but Bounce to listen to. ::)  (Actually, I really do have a LOT of things to listen to and to watch on video and DVD, but I like the idea of getting things before everyone else, even if it's never actually happened before.)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 12:06:20 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #226 on: May 22, 2004, 12:13:33 AM »

I think you'd like it, Jay. Did you see "Trembling Before G-d"? - A fascinating docu about being gay and Orthodox -- not a desirable combo, to say the least. If you haven't seen it, you should rent it.

I rented this a couple of months ago and thought that it was very interesting and quite informative.  I'm not a religious person at all but I got a sense of what others go through within their religion that isn't a part of my life.  I recommend it also.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 12:16:30 AM by George »

George

« Reply #227 on: May 22, 2004, 12:14:36 AM »

I am my own posting frenzy!  :)

Sigerson Holmes

« Reply #228 on: May 22, 2004, 12:15:58 AM »

In the VCR just at the moment, inspired by today's topic:  STAR TREK - "Who Mourns for Adonais?"

I bought the whole original series on tape from Columbia House about ten years ago.  I've been reluctant to buy the available DVDs because I know -- I just KNOW -- that as soon as I do they'll release them yet again in newly-remastered whole-season sets.

Anyway, in this particular episode, one Leslie Parrish guest stars as one Lieutenant Carolyn Palamas, and a real-life honest-to-goodness Greek god goes GAGA over her.  (Some other things happen too, but that's the essence of the plot in a nutshell.)  Is there a more fitting tribute to her beauty in her entire dramatic career?

As you probably already know, BK, if you must watch only one original series Trek episode, this is it . . .
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 12:20:08 AM by Sigerson Holmes »
It's not who you know.  It's whom you know.

Panni

« Reply #229 on: May 22, 2004, 12:20:16 AM »

Message from bk: The Notes will go up around 1 - 1:30 AM.

Panni

« Reply #230 on: May 22, 2004, 12:24:34 AM »

...That's PST for those in other parts of the globe... 8)

Tomovoz

« Reply #231 on: May 22, 2004, 12:26:33 AM »

That is only Star Trek episode I really remember - I did not watch anything after the first series. I certainly would not have remembered who was in it.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #232 on: May 22, 2004, 12:27:30 AM »

That's 6.30 Pm Saturday here on the East coast of OZ.
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #233 on: May 22, 2004, 12:49:43 AM »

I wish I were sleepy...

Panni

« Reply #234 on: May 22, 2004, 12:50:11 AM »

...Or Dopey or Sneezy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #235 on: May 22, 2004, 01:11:06 AM »

I thought Caterina would be more widely  known - she was one of "The Entertainers" variety show with Carol Burnette and Dom Deloise.  "The Beeze and I" was a major hit here in 1956. I remember it well (a Dan the Man reference!).
As I recall, The Entertainers ran for just one summer.  Could be wrong.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up