Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A PAUCITY OF PEOPLE  (Read 26429 times)

Robin

Re:A PAUCITY OF PEOPLE
« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2004, 07:21:43 PM »

Page five...

I don't dance.  Don't ask me.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2004, 07:23:14 PM »

The auditions were a joke.  Four people didn't bother showing up - what is with actors who confirm appointments and then don't show?
Out of date Thomas Guides?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #122 on: July 10, 2004, 07:25:10 PM »

Ask Me!

« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 07:32:29 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #123 on: July 10, 2004, 07:25:16 PM »

I'll name names. Martin Lavut
Charlie Grant's War

Shhhhhhh!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #124 on: July 10, 2004, 07:30:01 PM »

There is an article, http://www.dailytidings.com/2004/0709/070904edit.shtml,
in our local paper about the most interesting man in Ashland, director and now producer Tom Kane.  Not being familiar with his name I decided to google him but didn't find much except for an actor.  Is anyone familiar with him?

Robin

« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2004, 07:33:27 PM »

Here's the thing...

I just filled out an on-line survey with Best Buy's website.  They say that they give away an unspecified number of $500 gift cards every month for folks who filled out said survey.  

My question is this:

Have you ever won anything like this before?  Have you ever known anyone who did?  

Jane

« Reply #126 on: July 10, 2004, 07:34:48 PM »

I had to shut down for a minute as the computer sounded like it was going to take off. ???

Jane

« Reply #127 on: July 10, 2004, 07:41:37 PM »

Netlix doesn’t have Charlie Grant's War.  Is it available on DVD?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: July 10, 2004, 07:44:11 PM »

HOUSE OF PIES!  Let's GO!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2004, 07:44:30 PM »

Trying to figure out if I have enough energy to watch a DVD

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2004, 07:44:47 PM »

And if I have enough energy, which DVD.

Michael

« Reply #131 on: July 10, 2004, 07:54:40 PM »

Here's the thing...

I just filled out an on-line survey with Best Buy's website.  They say that they give away an unspecified number of $500 gift cards every month for folks who filled out said survey.  

My question is this:

Have you ever won anything like this before?  Have you ever known anyone who did?  

I have and I haven't
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #132 on: July 10, 2004, 07:56:21 PM »

Bought this tonight and listening to it right now. Some very nice arrangements and performances of classic Porter songs and some really bad.

Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #133 on: July 10, 2004, 08:02:40 PM »

The plot for MONK was not strong last night (it rarely is), but several sequences were hilarious. Monk offering the environmental protestor a supply of wipes, Monk's date and the 52 flights of stairs, Monk panicking in the blackout.

Sorry, but I laughed. A lot. And I think it's great that they've written Stottlemeyer to love Monk enough to demand they get him some wipes after he fell into the dirt.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #134 on: July 10, 2004, 08:08:35 PM »

Well, I started out with a Marx Bros. night: AT THE CIRCUS and then my favorite HORSE FEATHERS. Then, while dialing through all those cable channels, I noticed SIGNS was coming on one of the movie channels. I'd never seen this, so I settled back and watched. I have to say I think it's the weakest of M. Night Shyamalan's three big films. It was OK, had some tense moments and a genuine scare or two, but on the whole I didn't think it all that powerful. (Hitchcock did similar things with THE BIRDS.)

I still found UNBREAKABLE the most haunting of his three biggies though most folks I know liked it the least of the three.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #135 on: July 10, 2004, 08:22:36 PM »

HOUSE OF PIES!  Let's GO!

Shall I meet you there? Or can you pick me up?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #136 on: July 10, 2004, 08:33:17 PM »

House of Pies, I'm ready!  Coconut Cream, YEAH!  What time?  

Jose, I say Los Fee-Lezz!

BK, Good thing, Mr. Schmidt was not at last night's performance; he might have wanted to withdraw his permission for them to do the show.

Panni

« Reply #137 on: July 10, 2004, 08:36:15 PM »

Netlix doesn’t have Charlie Grant's War.  Is it available on DVD?

I don't think it's available now. They have it at the Museum of Television & Radio in NY and LA. If you REALLY want to see it, I have it in video in English AND French. It's a strange length for TV - two and a half hours - but a single film, not a mini-series. I just googled it and it seems to be on various lists, so maybe it IS available, but not on DVD.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: July 10, 2004, 08:50:42 PM »

Harvey just called but I didn't hear the phone.  He just got in, and I'm talking to him in ten minutes - if we don't decide to sup I'm very up for the HOUSE OF PIES.

Michael

« Reply #139 on: July 10, 2004, 08:52:26 PM »

Well on the east coast I am undating Bruce's website. It has been awhile.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #140 on: July 10, 2004, 08:57:39 PM »

Some LA Theater news.

Singer Billy Waring who appeared on BK's Unsung Irving Berlin is directing a new musical revue!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 09:03:37 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

« Reply #141 on: July 10, 2004, 08:59:10 PM »

Jane - I looked up Charlie Grant's War on IMDB and found this very nice viewer review (and I didn't even pay the man!)...
Summary: Very moving. I am saddened that it is not played more frequently.
I remember seeing this film as a kid on CBC television and being very touched by it. Pre-Schindler's list, this film examines the life of a gentile Canadian diamond merchant living in Nazi Germany who is caught helping Jewish families escape for which he pays the price. After saving hundreds of lives, Charlie Grant (played wonderfully by R.H. Thomson) is eventually thrown into a concentration camp for his acts of kindness. Even now, 15 some odd years later I can recall the powerful dialogue. Grant delivers a moving verbal slap in the face to a Nazi officer demanding to know why he bothers with the lives of "filthy Jews"...to which he replies he would rather commune with "filthy Jews than with people like you." Eventually the camp is of course liberated, but not before the Nazis shoot down the remaining barely surviving inmates. Grant somehow escapes this fate and is picked up by incoming Allied forces staggering down a muddy road babbling in German and then English, "I am a Canadian...I am a Canadian." I still get a lump in my throat thinking of it, and I am forced to wonder why this film doesn't get more play especially around Canada's Remembrance Day (Veterans Day). It would help to appreciate the efforts of those heroes who DID help, and maybe assist in alleviating some of the shame of our Government's blind eye given to Jewish immigrants during WWII. All that aside, a wonderfully inspirational film...moving, and worth sitting through the heartache of the subject.

Panni

« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2004, 09:02:18 PM »

Harvey just called but I didn't hear the phone.  He just got in, and I'm talking to him in ten minutes - if we don't decide to sup I'm very up for the HOUSE OF PIES.

Even if he does decide to sup - what law says you can't sup on pies?
Pies for supper, that's what I say!

Michael

« Reply #143 on: July 10, 2004, 09:03:18 PM »

Jane - I looked up Charlie Grant's War on IMDB and found this very nice viewer review (and I didn't even pay the man!)...
Summary: Very moving. I am saddened that it is not played more frequently.
I remember seeing this film as a kid on CBC television and being very touched by it. Pre-Schindler's list, this film examines the life of a gentile Canadian diamond merchant living in Nazi Germany who is caught helping Jewish families escape for which he pays the price. After saving hundreds of lives, Charlie Grant (played wonderfully by R.H. Thomson) is eventually thrown into a concentration camp for his acts of kindness. Even now, 15 some odd years later I can recall the powerful dialogue. Grant delivers a moving verbal slap in the face to a Nazi officer demanding to know why he bothers with the lives of "filthy Jews"...to which he replies he would rather commune with "filthy Jews than with people like you." Eventually the camp is of course liberated, but not before the Nazis shoot down the remaining barely surviving inmates. Grant somehow escapes this fate and is picked up by incoming Allied forces staggering down a muddy road babbling in German and then English, "I am a Canadian...I am a Canadian." I still get a lump in my throat thinking of it, and I am forced to wonder why this film doesn't get more play especially around Canada's Remembrance Day (Veterans Day). It would help to appreciate the efforts of those heroes who DID help, and maybe assist in alleviating some of the shame of our Government's blind eye given to Jewish immigrants during WWII. All that aside, a wonderfully inspirational film...moving, and worth sitting through the heartache of the subject.

I agree with the reviewer. RH Thompson is one of Canada's under rated actors and deserves to be known in the US. He appeared in the award winning film playing pianist Glenn Gould.
Never stop dreaming.

Robin

« Reply #144 on: July 10, 2004, 09:04:15 PM »

I'd never seen this, so I settled back and watched. I have to say I think it's the weakest of M. Night Shyamalan's three big films. It was OK, had some tense moments and a genuine scare or two, but on the whole I didn't think it all that powerful. (Hitchcock did similar things with THE BIRDS.)

I thought Signs was appallingly bad, myself.  Possibly one of the worst SF/horror films I've ever seen.  

A great deal of the film, especially the scenes within the boarded-up house with plot exposition given via the TV, was done first, and better, in Night of the Living Dead.

And the aliens are idiots.

They can obviously travel between stars in massive fleets, as well as turn their ships invisible...but are flummoxed by a boarded-up wooden house? That's right...a boarded-up wooden house.  What, they forgot their ray guns? They couldn't pick up a sledgehammer or even a big rock to gain entry? At least the zombies in Night of the Living Dead had an excuse for failing to gain entry right away...they were frickin' zombies! What could possibly be the alien's excuse?

When we finally see an alien, he's naked, for pete's sake! No weaponry other than that poison gas spike on his wrist. He's invading the earth, and was sent down with no guns, no protection of any kind? Talk about half-assed planning! This is especially stupid considering that, like the wicked witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz, the aliens die when they come in contact with water.   That's right...water.  

Which covers three quarters of the earth's surface. And which falls from the sky now and then, in a phenomenon called "rain".   And they also hang around in a cornfield, which I can tell you from experience, can be a very wet place indeed.

This means that the aliens are landing in an incredibly hostile environment, with no protection at all. (Change the water to "carbolic acid", and imagine yourself asked to land on an alien world, buck naked, with hostile aliens everywhere, armed only with tear gas grenades. Not only that, but the inhabitants can easily withstand this "carbolic acid" stuff, making them virtual supermen in comparison with you. I doubt you'd be signing up anytime soon.) And even if the aliens we see are just some kind of drone, it's pointless to send them into such a hostile environment; they're just too damned easy to kill...garden hoses, fire hydrants and squirt guns are everywhere.

The subplot of Mel Gibson's crisis of faith rings false, too. Of course, his re-conversion to the (I'm assuming Episcopalian) priesthood is perfectly understandable, since God obviously intervened to give the alien invaders a case of Mass Stupidity.

Now, I didn't mean to go off on a rant here, but I obviously did.  I'm a huge science fiction fan, and I like SF in general to be well-done.  Signs isn't.  It's shoddy, thoughtless, and written by someone who didn't seem to realize that his overheated scenario could be ripped to shreds so easily.  It's not just that Signs is so godawful...it's an insult to the intelligence of its' audience.  

I wasn't impressed with The Sixth Sense, since I'd seen the movie M. Night Shymalan stole the idea from, Carnival of Souls.  I actually did like Unbreakable, though.  But not enough to watch it a second time.  I think the man has talent as a director, but I think he should get someone, anyone else to write his films.  Because, as a writer, the guy is pretty much a hack.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #145 on: July 10, 2004, 09:05:35 PM »

The subway system is quite nice... and a little strange in one aspect (at least to me).  I only took it a few times when I was out here last year, but it got me to wherever I needed to get to - and the pricing is very reasonable.  It's very new, very clean, and the architectural logo/motif they use is very interesting too.  And, at least when I took it last year - it wasn't as crowded as I thought it would be.  -Or should be.
That's the LA system as I remember it.  It really does get crowded during rush hour, especially if there's been an accident on the Blue Line light rail to Long Beach, but that only happens when someone decides to "beat the train" and zoom with his/her car around the traffic barriers.

Which happens too often, of course.

And then everyone blames the rail system, instead of the driver.

One quirk is that once you buy your ticket - well, it's really more of a receipt - there is no personnel you show it to.  You just get on the train and ride.. and ride...  And even though you can buy a round trip ticket, it actually seems like one could take more than a few round trips on the same ticket.  There's no turnstile to go through, no machine to run your ticket through.  I kept expecting to be pulled aside once I made my way down to the platform.
It's called "trust," Jose.  Left-coasters still believe in the concept.

However, the transit authority apparently does random sweeps/checks of people on the platforms and trains.  And the fine for not having a ticket is quite high.  And there are plenty of warning signs posted throughout the stations.  But, still, it really was kind of strange not having to run my ticket through any sort of mechanism.  I seriously walked around for a few minutes making sure I hadn't walked the wrong way and missed the correct entrance.
Slyly checking out the ticket cops while they check your ticket is considered appropriate.  Asking for their phone numbers...well, wait, I never really tried that.  Dang, I think I might have missed out on something.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #146 on: July 10, 2004, 09:07:59 PM »

Now I can't get The Worst Pies in London outta me head!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2004, 09:09:29 PM »

I played Denver once on tour too..

I remember checking into the hotel that afternoon and noticing the "warnings" posted in the rooms about altitude sickness and the proper amount of time to get acclimated.  Well, we checked in at 3:00 and had to be at the theatre at 5:00, and we went up that night 8:00.  So much for acclimation time... Well...
And we are all very glad you are not known as JoseSTrumpet.

(Please, everyone, remember that I did include the capital T.   ;D)

Michael

« Reply #148 on: July 10, 2004, 09:10:40 PM »

Here is a picture of Harvey
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

« Reply #149 on: July 10, 2004, 09:12:04 PM »

I agree with the reviewer. RH Thompson is one of Canada's under rated actors and deserves to be known in the US. He appeared in the award winning film playing pianist Glenn Gould.

I thought that was Colm Feore... Thanks for the compliment on the film. I saw RH in a Showtime film recently, playing a rabbi - Full Court Miracle was the title - he was good, as always.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up