Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: GREEN DAY  (Read 15500 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re: GREEN DAY
« Reply #120 on: March 17, 2010, 11:20:43 AM »

The other is dead. Or should be.

Isn't being married to The Lady a fate worse than death?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2010, 11:24:39 AM »

I have two and a half sisters.

Brigitte is 15 years older and lives in Germany. She was raised by my grandmother and only speaks German. My German isn't so good, so communication is hard. Yet I love her dearly and visit as often as possible, which isn't often enough. She has three children, four grand-children and one great-granddaughter.

Linda is six years older. Her birthday was yesterday. She wanted to be a writer and ended up working for an insurance company. She's a Pentacostalist, so we don't talk politics often. Actually, we don't talk as often as we should. She and her husband live in Richmond, Va., with their 19-year-old son, who has spent too much time in the South (a bit racist, Republican and red-necked replete with tattoos).

Annaliese is four years older than me. She lives in Lexington, Ky., with her husband and son, Herman, who's 11. In recent years, she's become a stage mother in the Rose mold, pushing her son into competition after competition. He wins many of them, because he has an angelic prepubescent voice, plays excellent French horn and percussion, and can ham it up. What happens after his voice changes will be another story. What happens when he finally tells her no will also be another story.  
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2010, 11:24:57 AM »

page five dance.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2010, 11:25:27 AM »

BRAINEX Indiana style

http://www.buckcreekplayers.com/

Former DR EVIL KURT and I are tentatively planning on Sunday, April 11....at 2:30 - hopefully MR BK would be able to make it that day.

Thanks, DR JRand!  Sundays won't work for us, but I'm looking at one of the Friday evening performances, either the 16th or 23rd.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2010, 11:27:25 AM »

I have one sister, almost 10 years older, who lives in Michigan.  We are very different, but get along better than you might expect.  We are so far apart in age that my mother says she raised 2 only children.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2010, 11:31:43 AM »

DR JRand, your siblings marriage history is almost as confusing as DR MBarnums parents. ;)

My brother is 6 years older than I am & my sister was 4 1/2 years older.  I was very lucky as a child to have older siblings who took me places with them, including outings with their friends & I adored them both.  My brother was smart & had/has a wonderful dry sense of humor & could make me laugh uncontrollably.  My sister was an artist & could recreate on paper anything she looked at. 

Unfortunately my sister also encouraged me to skip my homework & do all sorts of things I shouldn't have been doing.  Admittedly some were great fun, others made me ill knowing they were wrong.  When I look back on my childhood I was lucky to have survived physically unscratched from many of her antics.  When I was 17 she began to turn on me.  This is the sister Keith saw & knew.  It really turns sad after that though I defended her for years.  The verbal abuse & manipulation I didn't understand as a child escalated.  Sometimes, though it would be best for you, one can't walk away from a family member because of the pain it would cause everyone else.  It still makes me cry to think of how it should have been, not how it was.

My brother & I have a great relationship & have gotten closer since our sister died.

Jane

« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2010, 11:35:28 AM »

We have Medford International Airport. ;D

"Pasengers awaiting the March flight to Vancouver, there will be a three day delay  in boarding."

That's about it, not that I have ever seen a flight to Canada. ;D

Jane

« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2010, 11:39:17 AM »

John G, thanks for the recipe.  It looks good.

I wouldn’t mind visiting Germany more often. ;)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2010, 11:41:34 AM »

The piano movers are here.  Pray for Rosemary's Kawai.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2010, 11:45:27 AM »

Piano moving vibes!!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2010, 11:46:51 AM »

Nice interview with Brett Claywell today about the departure of Kyle and Fish and the rumors being passed about the firing:
http://www.fancast.com/blogs/2010/deep-soap/oltls-brett-claywell-firing/

Now that Kyle and Fish are sacked, ONE LIFE TO LIVE is reverting to all the traditional soap idiocies. today, Jessica (who has amnesia after electroshock therapy and near rape by her psychopath father) who thinks she's 18 again (that gal's 40 if she's a day!) is vamping her high school sweetheart who won't give in or put out since he's invovled with another. He informed her that what she doesn't remember is that he married her sister. And when she starts pissing and moaning over what a jerk he is, he told her that she had already married his brother. Oy!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 11:57:19 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2010, 11:47:09 AM »

From Cilla:
Did you hear that the Obama lady he's been talking about on all these recent rallies qualifies for medicaid? Guess she has insurance after all

Yes.  AND...When her sister spoke on her behalf she was in the hospital getting proper treatment.  And the Cleveland Clinic said it had no intention of putting a lien on the woman’s house or letting the billing process interfere with her treatment.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »

Question for BK...and/or anybody else who wants to answer:

[No disrespect is intended by this question.  I am just curious.]

There are a lot of good movies out there, and there are even more crappy movies out there.

I know, because I've written a few of the crappy ones.  Yes, I was paid to write them and, my only defense is that, in the vast majority of cases, what I wrote is not what finally wound up on the screen. 

So, my question is: Why do we watch these crappy movies when we know, in front (from reviews or having seen it before), that they are crappy movies?

BK watched DADDY'S GONE A HUNTING last night.  He had seen it before.  He knew it was crap.  So, why waste two hours of your life that you will never get back again?

Is it nostalgia?

Maybe it is.  The other night, I watched THE DEADLY MANTIS and THE LAND UNKNOWN, both terrible...but I'd seen them in the theaters when I was a kid.

Like I said, no disrespect intended.  It's just a question for discussion.

I usually don't revisit bad movies all that much.  But I will watch movies that have bad reputations, probably out of curiosity.  I just noticed that TCM is showing PARNELL this afternoon...reputed to be Clark Gable's worst movie ever.  The few clips and snatches I've seen of it in the past would seem to confirm that.  But I've never seen it all the way through.  I'm debating watching it this afternoon, just to say I've seen it.

Ben, thanks for the Al Bowlly link.  Listening to it right now.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2010, 12:02:39 PM »

Back from a two-mile jog.  Man!  I haven't jogged this year, so it was a little difficult, but I'm now back in the mode and shall try to do it at least four times a week.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2010, 12:09:26 PM »

DR GINNY - if MR BK can't come the first week, and you and DH RICHARD are traveling over for an evening performance - perhaps we can all be there one evening the second week, except for DR KURT who will be in Chicago during the second week.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2010, 12:10:17 PM »

The first weekend is the weekend of the Putnam County Dancing With the Stars contest - and I am dancing Thurs-Fri-Sat......scary.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: March 17, 2010, 12:15:32 PM »

The first weekend is the weekend of the Putnam County Dancing With the Stars contest - and I am dancing Thurs-Fri-Sat......scary.

I would love to see that!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #137 on: March 17, 2010, 12:18:16 PM »

DR GINNY - if MR BK can't come the first week, and you and DH RICHARD are traveling over for an evening performance - perhaps we can all be there one evening the second week, except for DR KURT who will be in Chicago during the second week.

DR JRand - I'm leaning toward the 23rd, because on the 16th I have luncheon plans in Cincinnati with our very own DR DakotaCelt.

John G.

« Reply #138 on: March 17, 2010, 12:18:55 PM »

What are you dancing? Do you know yet?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #139 on: March 17, 2010, 12:19:27 PM »

The piano movers are here.  Pray for Rosemary's Kawai.  ;)

Kawai vibes!
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #140 on: March 17, 2010, 12:42:57 PM »

What are you dancing? Do you know yet?

There may be video, DR ELMORE.
April 23 is a Friday....it might work.

DR JOHNG - I am dancing DISCO to "I Haven't Stopped Dancing Yet" by Gonzalez....with my partner Debbie.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »

Must now go ship about ten packages - I thought I was caught up, but that wasn't quite so.

Jane

« Reply #142 on: March 17, 2010, 01:30:39 PM »

John G.

« Reply #143 on: March 17, 2010, 01:34:12 PM »

Grrrrr...  During the past two weeks I've bought pricey navel oranges at two different stores and they were all partially dried up inside. 

Sorry to hear that, but if you find any with juice, you may want to try them in this recipe that the James Beard Foundation posted earlier today for Portuguese Orange-Olive Oil Cake.  http://is.gd/aMiKI
― Voltaire

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #144 on: March 17, 2010, 01:36:48 PM »

Nice to hear nice things about Dustin Hoffman.

He's very shy but very sly. I worked for him and his company Punch Productions on THE MERCHANT OF VENICE when I was at Drama Book Shop. I got a great Christmas gift from him and the staff. I first helped him as a clerk at DBS in summer 1979. I cannot remember now what he was looking for. When I was managing the Minskoff Rehearsal Studios in 1983, while he was rehearsing DEATH Of A SALESMAN, he was really wonderful to me. Did you know he paid for his acting classes by playing piano for dance classes? I always thought he'd be a wonderful Koko in THE MIKADO.

If I am remembering what Charlie told me, he also drove a cab for a while.  Did he do PANIC IN NEEDLE PARK, or was that Pacino?  I get so confused sometime.  :)

Al Pacino was the star of PANIC IN NEEDLE PARK.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #145 on: March 17, 2010, 01:42:14 PM »

When I went down, I watched last night's IDOL. While there were no performances that bowled me over and made me sit up and take notice, 10 of the 12 finalists were accomplished enough vocally to not embarrass themselves. I did not like Andrew Garcia or Tim Urban. Everyone else was passable or better.

I truly do not see the makings of a music star out of this group, but there is always room for improvement. They still have 11 weeks of finals.

Matt H.

« Reply #146 on: March 17, 2010, 01:46:57 PM »

While I ate lunch, I watched last night's FLASH FORWARD recap show. I remembered everything they mentioned, and I hadn't forgotten anything or misunderstood anything, but it was nice to put it all back into my head. I'll be ready now for the show to resume on Thursday night.

Matt H.

« Reply #147 on: March 17, 2010, 01:50:55 PM »

I spent the rest of the afternoon on TOY STORY. The movie, of course, is a marvel, still as funny and involving as it ever was. Yep, computer animation has progressed a ton since this was made, but the crux of Pixar's genius is right there on display as clear as ever. Bright, interesting characters one immediately identifies with, an engrossing story, and such witty writing that's it's just plain fun to see it unfold.

I fell in love with these characters all over again.

Matt H.

« Reply #148 on: March 17, 2010, 01:52:53 PM »

Of course, the movie was only 80 minutes, but there are a ton of bonus materials, much of it carried over from the last DVD release and some of it newly produced in 1080p for the Blu-ray release. Truth to tell, the new stuff wasn't all that great. All the interesting stuff about the genesis of the project and its three painful years of birth are told in the vintage features.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 01:54:36 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #149 on: March 17, 2010, 01:55:34 PM »

I did get through everything so I'll be able to watching something fun tonight (haven't decided what that will be). Then, I'll watch HUMAN TARGET around 9:10.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up