Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A PAUCITY OF PEOPLE  (Read 26416 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:A PAUCITY OF PEOPLE
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2004, 04:53:58 PM »

And one for Jose's relatives!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2004, 05:02:42 PM »

Now Keith wants crock pots for the soup.  We had a set in the early years of our marriage, but it has been a good number of years since the last one broke.  Up until today we hadn’t missed it. ;D

Jane

« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2004, 05:06:42 PM »

The lumpia, sounds delicious.  Jose it also sounds as if you have as many people to see in LA as I do when we visit.  At least you can see your family in large groups.  I unfortunately have to divide mine up into small groups.  You will have to tell me about the subway since I haven’t even seen it.  Unless someone mentions it I tend to forget it exists.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2004, 05:16:32 PM »

Other Eyetalian dishes I love: Simple spaghetti with butter and cheese.  Spaghetti with sausages and/or meatballs.  

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2004, 05:36:33 PM »

I
I also think it would be fun to have fresh linguine hanging out to dry all over the kitchen.

If I wanted spaghetti strings draped all over the kitchen, I'd move in with a women!

der Brucer (having visions of "The Rose Tattoo")
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2004, 05:40:49 PM »

FROM PAUCITY TO PLETHORA  - A SAGA

GO WEST YOUNG MAN

(Consisting of selected excerpts from the LA Times)

By Bruce Vilanch
Special to The Times

St. Louis

The theater here seats 5,400 people, many of them evidently somewhere across the Mississippi River in Illinois.

The orchestra pit is larger than the swimming pool at Aaron Spelling's house (the main pool, not the servants') and somewhere beyond the dim and distant figure of the conductor you can barely make out the audience on the opposite shore. They hear us, because they seem to be laughing, but it takes a moment for the sound to get back to the stage. Or it could be the delay it takes for the translator to put it in whatever language they speak on the far side of the orchestra pit.

Minneapolis

One of the actors faints onstage tonight. It's just low blood sugar, and it happens during a rare serious moment, so the audience thinks it's part of the action. I would like to bend over and help him, but I can't because I am in the fat suit, pantyhose, wig, etc., and if I go over, there's no getting up. The audience knows this and finds it very amusing when I try, further convincing them this is all a part of the action.

After a moment, the actor gets up and strolls offstage under his own steam. This, of course, was not supposed to happen, which the audience figures out when there's dead silence on the stage because the next line was his.

At moments like this, it's good to know we have a Homeland Security department, because you can always blame stopping the show on them.

Denver

I really thought nothing could faze me now, several hundred shows under my pantyhose. But I had not reckoned with performing Edna at 5,000 feet.

Remember the breathing thing back in rehearsals? I must now move from breathing to extreme breathing, which is a sport even "Fear Factor" fears to factor. Management has kindly placed oxygen tanks on each side of the stage, but it sort of defeats the purpose when you have to wait in line for them.

The whole backstage area resembles a very modern emergency room, with lots of resuscitation devices. I think we owe that to a ballet company, which has just pranced through town. They keep telling me my body will adjust. But meanwhile we all have to keep muffled so they don't hear the pitiful wheezing out front.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2004, 05:42:51 PM »

FROM PAUCITY TO PLETHORA  - A SAGA

JOURNEY'S END

(Consisting of selected excerpts from the LA Times)

By Bruce Vilanch
Special to The Times

The next week

My body has adjusted, but I'm leaving town. Just when I had acquired the lung power to move to Aspen and become an industrial-strength snow bunny. We're heading for Los Angeles which, at least in all the disaster movies I've seen, still seems to be at sea level, which means I should now be able to hold a note until sometime next Tuesday, at which point I'll take a breath and continue on till the weekend.

Who knows what Hollywood will bring? In my dreams, I am the toast of the coast. But right before I wake up, Meryl Streep gets the movie.

FINIS

Jane

« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2004, 05:43:41 PM »

hmmmm, should I be insulted?  ;D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2004, 05:48:33 PM »

The lumpia, sounds delicious.  Jose it also sounds as if you have as many people to see in LA as I do when we visit.  At least you can see your family in large groups.  I unfortunately have to divide mine up into small groups.  You will have to tell me about the subway since I haven’t even seen it.  Unless someone mentions it I tend to forget it exists.

The subway system is quite nice... and a little strange in one aspect (at least to me).  I only took it a few times when I was out here last year, but it got me to wherever I needed to get to - and the pricing is very reasonable.  It's very new, very clean, and the architectural logo/motif they use is very interesting too.  And, at least when I took it last year - it wasn't as crowded as I thought it would be.  -Or should be.

The one quirk is that once you buy your ticket - well, it's really more of a receipt - there is no personnel you show it to.  You just get on the train and ride.. and ride...  And even though you can buy a round trip ticket, it actually seems like one could take more than a few round trips on the same ticket.  There's no turnstile to go through, no machine to run your ticket through.  I kept expecting to be pulled aside once I made my way down to the platform.

However, the transit authority apparently does random sweeps/checks of people on the platforms and trains.  And the fine for not having a ticket is quite high.  And there are plenty of warning signs posted throughout the stations.  But, still, it really was kind of strange not having to run my ticket through any sort of mechanism.  I seriously walked around for a few minutes making sure I hadn't walked the wrong way and missed the correct entrance.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2004, 05:50:14 PM »

Reading about Bruce Vilanch in Denver (I lived in Boulder, 30 miles from Denver, for the last 8 years)  I now understand why it's so damn easy for me to walk a brisk three miles here in LA. Piece o' cake. No oxygen mask needed.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 05:58:06 PM by Panni »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2004, 05:50:55 PM »

Hey, Jane - if Echo won't eat the pills in peanut butter, try giving her the pills hidden in very small bites of moist dog food BEFORE she eats her dinner, while she's still ravenous. ...Maybe Echo is just plain tired of peanut butter, and would love chicken liver pate?

Great ideas, Penny. You could become the spokesperson for "Pedigree pour le Pouch"

Hey, if Bacall can do cat food, you can be man's best friend friend.

der Brucer (I'll waive the agent's referral fee)

Jane

« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2004, 05:53:13 PM »

We have decided to bake the soup in our little ramekins we purchased when Keith decided to make brulee.  He isn’t a fan of brulee but he wanted to buy a torch and play with it.  The torch came in handy today for the soup when he used it after adding cognac. We will save most of the soup until tomorrow until we have purchased the proper size bowls for onion soup along with a better variety of cheese.  BTW, so far it taste great.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2004, 05:55:43 PM »

The subway system is quite nice... and a little strange in one aspect (at least to me).  I only took it a few times when I was out here last year, but it got me to wherever I needed to get to - and the pricing is very reasonable.  It's very new, very clean, and the architectural logo/motif they use is very interesting too.

You might take the decorating ideas back to DC. Their Metro looks like something from Stalin's heyday.

der Brucer (remember, the Blue Line Willow station is a short cab ride from Long Beach Airport)

Panni

« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2004, 05:56:27 PM »

My fave in Italian food is pretty basic. I like Angel Hair pasta with a really good tomato sauce, meatballs and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. And a nice glass of Chianti.
I also like veggie pizza with everything on it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2004, 06:01:09 PM »

I played Denver once on tour too..

I remember checking into the hotel that afternoon and noticing the "warnings" posted in the rooms about altitude sickness and the proper amount of time to get acclimated.  Well, we checked in at 3:00 and had to be at the theatre at 5:00, and we went up that night 8:00.  So much for acclimation time... Well...

We happened to be playing the Air Force base, and as was described in the LA Times article, there were oxygen tanks on both sides of stage.  And these oxygen tanks were manned by men in uniform!  Well... As the show went on, it eventually became clear that some people were just going to the oygen tanks so that they could get near the "uniforms". ;)  One chorus girl even changed which side of the stage she made her exit on since she really thought the lieutenant on that side of the stage was "really hot!".

However, the dancers really did feel the "difference" the first night we were there - as did the wind players in our pit.

This was also the venue where on one of the various tours of Annie, the conductor raised his baton on opening night and then promptly fainted and fell off his podium!  Now that's a way to start a show!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2004, 06:05:59 PM »

You might take the decorating ideas back to DC. Their Metro looks like something from Stalin's heyday.

der Brucer (remember, the Blue Line Willow station is a short cab ride from Long Beach Airport)

There was a production of Wagner's Ring Cycle that played the Kennedy Center a couple of years back.  It was a very futuristic and fantastical conception of the piece with big mechanical monsters.  However, apparently, the inspiration for the set design came from DC's Metro system - the big tunnel-cave stations. I didn't see the production, but from the production photos, it looked like they could have been taken in the Metro.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2004, 06:16:26 PM »

I will be leaving shortly, Dear Readers, to head to the historic Alex Theatre in Glendale, California.  The Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles is performing a tribute there this evening to Miss Judy Garland.

I almost snagged Dear Reader Jose as a date, but he wants to stay home and watch television.

That is, unless he changes his mind in the next ten minutes.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 06:17:05 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2004, 06:18:36 PM »

I'm pretty sure I saw Norman Lear there last night.  If not, it was his evil twin.

Jay, I guessed as much that warbly vibrato was the wife of the restaurant owner.  Was he the short, roly-poly gent with the grey hair?  Though he sang around the piano with the group we left before he did any solos...or maybe he doesn't.   Are you an habitue of the place?  Food was perfectly fine, if not memorable, and we had a lovely bottle of Australian chardonnay.  It's great that it's right there at the theatre.

Can't speak to the understudies, but the guy who is the understudy for Starbuck certainly looks more the part from his resume shot.

I gotta get on this facial hair thing again for both Starbuck and File.  File is a meticulous man... appearances are important to him.  He's darning his own shirt.  He talks contemptuously of the man his wife ran off with as being nearsighted and having weak hands.  If File had any facial hair, it would be scrupulously trimmed and maintained.  It's part of his anal nature. No beard stubble.

Starbuck would not have facial hair at all.  He's a con man. He'd want to appear heroic. Rock-jawed, fresh-faced, and wide open, nothing to hide.  More importantly, he wouldn't want anything competing with or distracting from that pearly smile and charm.  Nor would he want to convey an image of mistrust or as someone too slick and sophisticated, an image that can often be misconstrued from face hair.  Especially a scraggly, patchy mustache and goatee like the one the actor was wearing last night.  Weenie, very weenie.  Mostly, it looks like a little boy trying to grow face hair and can't.  Another image Starbuck doesn't want to convey.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 08:26:11 AM by bk »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2004, 06:20:30 PM »

Jose, where in Los Feliz are you staying?...that's my stomping ground.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2004, 06:26:17 PM »

I think DR Jay mentioned to me that this is your stomping ground.  I'm staying just a block away from the Albertson's on Hillhurst.

*It's a good walk from the House of Pies... but maybe that's a good and/or necessary thing. ;)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 06:34:50 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2004, 06:27:56 PM »

Jay, I guessed as much that warbly vibrato was the wife of the restaurant owner.  Was he the short, roly-poly gent with the grey hair?  Though he sang around the piano with the group we left before he did any solos...or maybe he doesn't.   Are you an habitue of the place?  Food was perfectly fine, if not memorable, and we had a lovely bottle of Australian chardonnay.  It's great that it's right there at the theatre.

That was him.  I go there now and then.  Dear BK, Dear Reader Laura and Dear Reader Sandra had dinner there one night together.  Their pre-theatre prix-fixe dinner is a good deal.  I took some friends there who really don't know from opera and they had a ball.  And you're right.  You can't beat the convenience to the theatre.  Maybe this place has broken the curse on that space, as it has lasted longer there than any of its predecessors, I believe.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2004, 06:36:34 PM »

And just what is the proper pronunciation of "Los Feliz"?  Well, at least of "Feliz"..

Fee-liss
Fee-lix (-licks)
Fee-leez
Fee-leess
???
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2004, 06:46:30 PM »

House of Pies - now we're talkin'!  Let's go TONIGHT - coconut cream pie!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2004, 06:57:41 PM »

HOUSE OF PIES!!!

I think Mr. Harvey Schmidt's flight must have gotten in late, as he hasn't checked into his hotel yet.  He was supposed to get in at three-thirty, and no matter what the traffic was like from LAX he certainly should have been there by five or five-thirty at the latest.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2004, 07:14:07 PM »

*Oh... As it turned out, the one person I did not call as soon as I landed in Long Beach was my brother who lives out here.  He ended up calling me late last night just to make sure I made it on OK.  It's nice to know he was checking up on me, but I still can't believe that I forgot to call him.  -Of all the people I should have called...
So, where does your brother live?  Obviously, we've got to get you and he together for lunch or dinner at some point, and coming up with good eating spots is always fun!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2004, 07:17:17 PM »

DR SWW - As for a pasta machine...  If you do have a KitchenAid stand mixer, the pasta attachments are very nice and very functional.  And if your store happens to carry some of the "attachment bundles", you should be able to get quite a deal with your employee discount.  And they just came out with a ravioli attachment too!  You put the pasta sheets through one set of rollers, and the filling in the hopper - once you turn on the machine, it fills and cuts the ravioli for you!
Even with my employee discount, the KitchenAid pasta attachment (regularly at $99.99) will come to more than I want to spend right now.  I'll settle for a good ol' hand crank model.  (Besides, Alton's suggestion of setting up the ironing board as a workspace sounds cool!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2004, 07:20:05 PM »

Yes and no. One brilliant but eccentric director I worked with in Canada was obsessed with detail. We were doing a film I wrote for the CBC. A period piece - limited time, limited budget. This director one day spent several hours deciding if the Nazi party buttons that some of the extras had in their lapels were authentic.

I'll name names. Martin Lavut
Charlie Grant's War
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 07:22:49 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Robin

« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2004, 07:20:08 PM »

I'm not a big fan of fixing Eyetalian food, but I really like going out for it.  There's a restaurant here in Minneapolis called Buca de Beppo, that serves some terrific stuff.  I especially like the Spaghetti with Anchovies, and the Seafood Linguine Alfredo.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2004, 07:21:03 PM »

My brother, Jay, just moved down to San Diego to start a new job....But I did call him, and now I'm reminded that I need to call my cousin, Angie, who lives right nearby in Studio City (I think - she lives in one of the "cities" out here).
Well, that answers my earlier question.  Now, we just need places to dine in Studio City...

Robin

« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2004, 07:21:12 PM »

Pasta machine?  

And here, I though pasta grew on trees!
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up