Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: TWIDDLING MY THUMBS  (Read 30517 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:TWIDDLING MY THUMBS
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2005, 11:51:55 AM »

Hey yeah, I just realized that Danise is missing today as well.... I assumed the other day was because of the "lockout" as she usually posts early.....

and where did Joy go?

and Iris?

and Rodzinski and Tpunk?

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2005, 11:52:33 AM »

Very nice TFNM review....LOL.

Probably very appropriate RENT analogy.....sorry I don't get the show.  I may see the movie on DVD, because I have been wrong before, but I don't like it, yet!  

DRJASON - I have the LES MIZ....but I am thinking it was copy protected...hmmmm.   DRGEORGE if you can't find your copy let me know, and I will look for mine.

Thanks for the Fox/Newman info, DR RLP.  VERY interesting.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2005, 12:14:32 PM »

Finally some time at my "office" desk after a grueling morning in the downtown Dayton day shelter for the homeless public library.  I thought one of our especially colorful characters was going to "go off" earlier and I had my hand poised to hit the panic button.  Fortunately, he left the building.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2005, 12:26:22 PM »

"To reset hit any key."

Homer Simpson:  "Where is the 'any' key?!!!"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2005, 12:27:04 PM »

Jumbo shrimp = my favorite oxymoron.

Ginny

« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2005, 12:43:27 PM »

Oxymoron from my profession:  Online Card Catalog
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2005, 12:47:57 PM »

Finally some time at my "office" desk after a grueling morning in the downtown Dayton day shelter for the homeless public library.  I thought one of our especially colorful characters was going to "go off" earlier and I had my hand poised to hit the panic button.  Fortunately, he left the building.

I have always thought that it was very kind of the local librarians to allow the local homeless to doze quietly in an alcove seat  keeping warm and dry etc.

This past summer my dad , who had been working on his car, ran into some kind "dead end" so he popped up to the library  to take a look at one of the car manuals they keep there.  He was sitting at a little corner desk when one of the librarians came over to him and whispered, " I have an extra sandwich, would you care for it?"
"Uh, no thank you", my puzzled father answered.  
He took down the info he wanted and went home where   he told my mother the story about the "weird sandwich offer" and she said, "Have you looked in the mirror?"

Well Dad, being long retired,  hadn't shaved in a couple of  days, he was wearing his oldest cut off jeans with the tears in them and an old work shirt with the pocket torn off, all his  regular "mechanic's outfit" so it was well and permantnetly stained from years of wearing it whenever a dirty job was to be done..

The kind librarian must have thought there was a "new" homeless guy in town.

The inicident made Dad finally heed Mom's advice about paying attention at his appearance when he goes out, and it also made Dad send Mom to the library whenever he needed something!  ;D

« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 12:49:35 PM by vixmom »

Ginny

« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2005, 12:58:28 PM »

DR vixmom - thank you for the story about your dad and the public library.  I'd never make such a snap assumption, but when the same scruffy people are sitting in the same chairs day in and day out, it's a pretty sure bet they're not just here doing research.  We tolerate much more than I think we should in terms of baggage, aberrant behavior, loitering, etc., but the folks who make the big bucks don't seem to be bothered by it.  Of course, they don't have to work in the midst of it to do their jobs.  They have offices.  With doors.  That close.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2005, 01:14:01 PM »

Uh....now when I see all of the ads for HDTV and B I G screen TV's and the like....there are also screens that are listed as monitors!  But they are advertised in the television sections....

Are these just monitors that have to be hooked up to some kind of receiver....like a satellite dish or cable receiver...but cannot receive BROADCAST stations over the air?  This is the only thing I can figure out...I am confused.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2005, 01:15:32 PM »

I should be glad the Rehoboth Beach Public Library isn't a major research joint.  When der B fixes himself up properly, he looks pretty good, but when he doesn't he can look pretty disorderly.  I can only imagine what people would think.   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2005, 01:15:41 PM »

Horses and courses: I just checked Ben's link to TWIW reviews.  What I disliked most were the projections, which became very tiresome, and the score!
Best score since "Aspects Of Love".  Does that say much?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2005, 01:15:56 PM »

At least I got a couple of things cleared off the DVR this afternoon. First up was last night's JOEY which I didn't find very funny at all and even a bit mildly unkind to the elderly. Oh, I know it's all in fun, but getting old and struggling with the infirmities that come with age I just don't find very funny.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2005, 01:17:29 PM »

JMK ain't got no satellite or cable, so he is just a watching DVD's and broadcast stations.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2005, 01:20:57 PM »

I found the review via google - can't remember the name of the site.

Been A Long Day: That's the number I'm doing in the LACC benefit, along with my original Rosemary, Annette Cardona (the film Cha Cha in Grease) - the original Smitty is in NY starring in The Great American Trailer Park Musical (Linda Hart), so I'm having a recent alum do that.

Matt H.

« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2005, 01:21:21 PM »

MattH , no mail from you yesterday but I hold high hopes for today!

Harumph! See if I use THAT post office again!!

Honestly, when I mail them from my local brach, they usually got there in two-three days. I used a branch across town since I was doing errands over there, and I should have known something would go wrong! Argh!

Maybe it will be there today. I am crossing my fingers.

Matt H.

« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2005, 01:24:26 PM »

Uh....now when I see all of the ads for HDTV and B I G screen TV's and the like....there are also screens that are listed as monitors!  But they are advertised in the television sections....

Are these just monitors that have to be hooked up to some kind of receiver....like a satellite dish or cable receiver...but cannot receive BROADCAST stations over the air?  This is the only thing I can figure out...I am confused.

Even the TV monitors have an analog tuner, but what they don't have is an ATSC (high definition) tuner built in. So you either have to add one of those or use cable or satellite to get HDTV signals.

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2005, 01:27:25 PM »

After JOEY, I went to Tuesday night's SUPERNATURAL for an episode that had elements reminiscent of POLTERGEIST. There was even a medium there (a la Zelda Rubenstein). In fact, at one moment, one of the two leading men referred to her seeing things as a Zelda Rubenstein moment. Good episode with some genuine chills.

The ratings this last Tuesday for the show hit season lows for it, so I'm not sure if that's very healthy for the show. It's renewed for the rest of this season, but no more weeks like this in the ratings or its first season might be its only season.

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2005, 01:28:59 PM »

Next up was SMALLVILLE with an exciting and tender episode with some genuine surprises. Liked it a lot this week.

I was dead set against the producers having Chloe know Clark's secret, but now I see that it's working just fine for the show.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2005, 01:29:56 PM »

Even the TV monitors have an analog tuner, but what they don't have is an ATSC (high definition) tuner built in. So you either have to add one of those or use cable or satellite to get HDTV signals.

Ah.....okay.   ;D  thanks.

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2005, 01:30:36 PM »

I only had an hour before coming back on-line so instead of pulling out MYSTERIOUS SKIN (which I want to watch at one time having never seen it before; perhaps tomorrow), I put in a movie that always guarantees me a good cry IT'S MY PARTY. Only got an hour in but I was blubbering almost the entire time since I know what's coming.

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2005, 01:31:55 PM »

Ah.....okay.   ;D  thanks.

Did I throw you with the word "analog"? I just mean regular TV over-the-air signals. A TV monitor can pull those in.

vixmom

« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2005, 01:37:28 PM »

Harumph! See if I use THAT post office again!!

Honestly, when I mail them from my local brach, they usually got there in two-three days. I used a branch across town since I was doing errands over there, and I should have known something would go wrong! Argh!

Maybe it will be there today. I am crossing my fingers.

Probably on this end, I find if I have things shipped to my office I get them much quicker than if I get them shipped to my house.  I think when my mailcarrier gathers  together what he considers a sufficient load for one day he leaves the rest for another day  :D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2005, 01:37:54 PM »

DR vixmom - thank you for the story about your dad and the public library.  I'd never make such a snap assumption, but when the same scruffy people are sitting in the same chairs day in and day out, it's a pretty sure bet they're not just here doing research.  We tolerate much more than I think we should in terms of baggage, aberrant behavior, loitering, etc., but the folks who make the big bucks don't seem to be bothered by it.  Of course, they don't have to work in the midst of it to do their jobs.  They have offices.  With doors.  That close.

I have SEEN some things in public places that should never ever be seen even in PRIVATE!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2005, 01:40:54 PM »

Well it is a busy evening so I msut hurry and scurry so I can get out of here on time.

I hope DR Jason is enjoying a lovely cake right around now!!

It's an overload weekend for me and I don't know if Vixdad has gotten the AOL situation sorted yet, so if you don't see me until Monday you'll know why!

Happy Birthday JASON!!!!!!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2005, 01:42:01 PM »

I forgot who asked, but THRESHOLD will be on Tuesday night at 10 p.m. on CBS.

If CLOSE TO HOME delivers big ratings again this week on Friday as it did last week, it'll stay put there for the rest of the season.

That will mean that CBS has every single night secure with hit shows (and hit reruns on Saturdays). The Tuesday at 10 time slot is really its biggest weakness right now. If it can shore up Wednesdays at 8, then it will have a schedule with no chinks in it.

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2005, 01:43:20 PM »

Probably on this end, I find if I have things shipped to my office I get them much quicker than if I get them shipped to my house.  I think when my mailcarrier gathers  together what he considers a sufficient load for one day he leaves the rest for another day  :D

I have thought that about my mail carrier, too, especially on days after a Monday or other holiday when stuff has piled up. I think he just picks parts of the stack to deliver each day until it's all caught up.

Jason

« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2005, 01:45:47 PM »

Mmmmm....cookies n' cream ice cream cake. Yum. :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2005, 01:48:03 PM »

Did I throw you with the word "analog"? I just mean regular TV over-the-air signals. A TV monitor can pull those in.

I knew what you meant!   ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2005, 01:50:28 PM »

The VARIETY review of THE WOMAN IN WHITE was mixed-to-negative. Michael Ball got the best notice of the principals. The music was pretty much dismissed and the projections were found to be at odds with the Victorian time period.

I think I'll probably be giving this one a pass if it's still running next summer.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2005, 01:58:15 PM »

Mmmmm....cookies n' cream ice cream cake. Yum. :D

Ugh!  Fat pills!

Makes me feel bloated to even think about it!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up