Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RETURN OF THE RAY COURTS CELEBRITY SHOW  (Read 5918 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE RETURN OF THE RAY COURTS CELEBRITY SHOW
« on: September 27, 2014, 12:00:09 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes spoke of a return, and now it is time for you to post until the returning cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE RETURN OF THE RAY COURTS CELEBRITY SHOW
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 12:01:02 AM »

And the word of the day is: FAINEANT!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 12:19:01 AM »

"By the Sea" was very funny!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 12:33:32 AM »

Wow...the way Emma plays the scene right after "Not While I'm Around" when she decides to let Toby make the pies...very powerful.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 01:14:51 AM »

You can actually watch "Sweeney Todd" on PBS's website here:  http://video.pbs.org/video/2365329433/

I had to log in to be able to watch it in hi-def, and I don't know how long it's be available, but you can watch the whole thing on-line.

:D

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 03:18:20 AM »

The choral concert last night was excellent, and when I got home I confirmed that the DVR had recorded Sweeney. So I'm good to go!     :)
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 03:18:57 AM »

On tap this morning: breakfast with a friend from NYC who happens to be in the area.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 03:20:11 AM »

There is an Estate Sale going on next door today and tomorrow. We don't know quite what to expect, but guessing that there will be a lot of extra cars and traffic. They're supposed to be handing out "numbers" at 8:00am. Will there be a line down the block?  Who knows?

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 03:21:52 AM »

The DD appears to be just about wholly back to normal. Whether he picked up a bug at the kennel or just had a psychotic break, we're not sure - but we know one thing: we will never be boarding him again!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 05:01:18 AM »

FJL

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 05:44:50 AM »

I'm not sure whether I'll be able to even check in here tomorrow, so wishing an early happy birthday to John G!

Or how about a happy birthday weekend!

Really enjoying "Barbecue Lover's Texas."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 06:01:21 AM »

Good morning, all!  I wanted to sleep in, but I had a phone call at 7:30 from a twit dialing a wrong number.

I'm experimenting with this lactose intolerant idea, so this morning I have had a cup of coffee with soy milk and a cup with almond milk. Soy wins!

At noon, I am having lunch with friends, and after that, who knows.

Now, about this PBS censorship: when the San Francisco Symphony concert of SWEENY TODD with Patti Lupone and George Hearn was shown on PBS several years ago, nothing was censored or bleeped. Does this mean a terrified PBS is kissing up to the far right idiots? 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 06:06:36 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 06:11:49 AM »

Regarding bleeping the "S" word, if that were the case, they wouldn't have shown "Sweeney Todd" at all, with its very mature subject matter and graphic elements.  We are more sensitive in 2014 than we were in earlier times, and that's not PBS's fault.  (Editing Downton Abbey, though, is another matter that i don't understand.) 

It seems like ever since that famous Super Bowl wardrobe malfunction, and the government getting involved with fines and punishment in a way that dismayed so many people, the broadcasters have felt forced to be careful.  Why not celebrate that PBS is bringing us this type of event at all?   

FJL

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 06:13:12 AM »

And for those on other boards who bring up the "Dance Ten, Looks Three" number on the Marvin Hamlisch celebration, to me that number felt like an attempt at comedy that just didn't work somehow.  They could have just avoided "Dance Ten Looks Three" entirely.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 06:22:01 AM »

Regarding bleeping the "S" word, if that were the case, they wouldn't have shown "Sweeney Todd" at all, with its very mature subject matter and graphic elements.  We are more sensitive in 2014 than we were in earlier times, and that's not PBS's fault.  (Editing Downton Abbey, though, is another matter that i don't understand.) 

It seems like ever since that famous Super Bowl wardrobe malfunction, and the government getting involved with fines and punishment in a way that dismayed so many people, the broadcasters have felt forced to be careful.  Why not celebrate that PBS is bringing us this type of event at all?   

This "sensitivity" excuse is ludicrous. Why not celebrate the fact that censorship in any form is not to be tolerated? 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 06:35:29 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 06:39:46 AM »

This "sensitivity" excuse is ludicrous. Why not celebrate the fact that censorship in any form is not to be tolerated? 

My opinion is that it would be lovely for broadcasters to have great courage and take those risks, but I think blame goes to the government for scaring the broadcasters into leaving out certain specific words and images. I don't think the broadcasters are to blame for not risking being punished or having to defend themselves against fines, like others have been. 

However, the bleep sound they used was not the way to go, i agree with those who hated that sound

« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 06:41:59 AM by FJL »

FJL

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 06:46:15 AM »

Just got an email that my Amazon review of "Barbecue Lover's Texas" is now up and live on the Amazon site.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A1WI7EX6EGJKIH/ref=cm_cr_dp_pdp

ChasSmith

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 06:48:07 AM »

Good morning, all.

Got enough hours of sleep, but can't help but think that the Chinese army must have been marching over me all night.

Coffee!

ChasSmith

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 06:48:56 AM »

I DVR'd Sweeney, but won't have a chance to sit down and watch it for a couple of days.

Kerry

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 07:15:17 AM »

The sun is shining.  We were supposed to have clouds and rain.  But what do we get-- sunshine. >:(
I like boat races.

FJL

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 07:18:01 AM »

This is great to even know they count stuff like this - the Amazon page calls my review of Dearest Enemy "the most helpful favorable review" of that CD, with 17 of 17 people finding it helpful. 

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 07:22:20 AM »

I enjoyed SWEENEY TODD.  I thought the Anthony and Joanna were the weakest links.....and there was that miscast useless lump of Tony-winning flesh that everyone thinks they can't do a show without.....but I actually thought the staging was good.  The ensemble was good as well.

Emma Thompson was on the money - maybe not vocally - but acting wise.....and I liked Terfel, too.  Some funny bits here and there....that helped relieve the unrelenting darkness....

The Hearn-Lansbury version is so ingrained in my brain, it is difficult to see anyone else, but this was fun and certainly - to paraphrase DR GINNY - not as bad as it could have been.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 07:26:47 AM »

Hmmmm......meeting celebrities....well they don't often come to Indiana....and I don't get out much....but:

I enjoyed meeting MR BK and DR CHARLES EDWARD POGUE when they traveled here a few years ago.

Jane Powell was very nice when my sister and I saw her in a stock version of 7 Brides for 7 Brothers many years ago....she had a bunch of little dogs with her, and one of them peed on my shoe....but that was okay.

But my favorite was when Donna Douglas came to town.  She wore her hair Elly Mae style and was just so much fun talking to everyone and signing photos and getting her picture taken.  I happened to bring her a photo that Nancy Kulp had sent me which she liked...."Bless her heart" she said....and I gave her a photo book of her appearance in THE TWILIGHT ZONE...which she had never seen....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2014, 07:29:56 AM »

Here is photographic evidence of the meeting....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2014, 07:32:47 AM »

She had on tons of WHITE makeup....and she was freaked out by an Elvis impersonator who wanted his photo with her....and she almost didn't do it...but finally did....

After learning more about her relationship with Elvis - it was a wonder she didn't slap his face.

She wasn't very tall....maybe 5'....and still had a nice slender figure.  As Jonathan Winters used to say:  "Not much upstairs...but from there down...gangbusters!"

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2014, 07:38:52 AM »

I have to get ready for lunch. I'm meeting friends here:
http://www.oceangrill.com

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2014, 08:02:27 AM »

Looks like a nice place DR ELMORE....I need new glasses though....I thought the menu said Day Old Fries......but it was Old Bay Fries....

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2014, 08:06:58 AM »

Looks like a nice place DR ELMORE....I need new glasses though....I thought the menu said Day Old Fries......but it was Old Bay Fries....

LOL! It's only 4 blocks or so away from me, and I don't know it. Full report later.

Michael

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2014, 08:13:50 AM »

good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2014, 08:14:04 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  We have two football games to watch later - Michigan/Minnesota at 3:30 and Cincinnati/Ohio State at 6:00.  After last week's performance, Michigan was demoted from ABC to ESPN2.  We're having a homemade pizza party during the later game and hoping the Bearcats can pull off an upset.

Go, Blue!  Go, Bearcats!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up