Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: KRITZERLAND AT STERLING'S 71  (Read 3469 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: KRITZERLAND AT STERLING'S 71
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2016, 08:15:57 AM »

Right now - I do not have a book I am reading.....I do have a stack of books to START reading.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2016, 08:24:35 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  Just stopping in for a quick HI and BYE before heading over to Katie's to host Current Events Club.  The meeting doesn't start until 1:30, but I have to do things like make the coffee and tea and get ready for refreshment committee to arrive about 12:45.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2016, 08:30:53 AM »

TOD - I read both fiction and nonfiction, but have been concentrating on fiction lately.  Some recent memorable nonfiction:

Dimestore, Lee Smith's memoir of growing up in Appalachia
Hissing Cousins, a joint biography of Eleanor Roosevelt and Alice Roosevelt Longworth
The Man He Became, James Tobin's take on FDR's polio

Right now I'm reading a novel called The Miniaturist for book group.  Next up:  Madison and Jefferson by Andrew Burstein and Nancy Isenberg in preparation for our visits at the end of the month to Montpelier and Monticello in Virginia.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2016, 10:00:15 AM »

I've plugged the iPad in to recharge and started the updating process.  iOS 10, here I come.

Good luck!

Jane

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2016, 10:05:04 AM »

Bruce I noticed the photo of you with Cathy on facebook and waiting until I came here to commented.  I immediately noticed the tucked in shirt and your new, improved, look :)

Jane

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2016, 10:08:19 AM »

Yesterday I finished reading "Before the Fall" by Noah Hawley which I enjoyed very much.  It was also excellent timing to be reading this when we watched "Sully" as there are many similarities in that they both deal with a plane crash, the annoying press, an investigation, and a hero who does not feel like one.  Aside from that, the heart of the stories are very different.

DR Ginny, I think it would make a good book group read.

Jane

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2016, 10:18:17 AM »

I am currently reading "Cat's Cradle" by Kurt Vonnegut.  I'm not sure what I think about it, different for sure.  Has anyone read it?

Jane

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2016, 10:18:25 AM »

I needed a book to read.  It has been on my library wish list for a long time and it is short.  I wanted a short book since my goal is to read 20 books by the end of the year.

Sometimes a short book can take longer to read than a 500 page book.  I am hoping this won't be one of those times, so far it isn't.

Jane

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2016, 10:24:42 AM »

I prefer fiction to non-fiction.  This year, having read less than usual I have read even less non-fiction.

DEAD WAKE by Erik Larson was excellent, but then his novels read more like fiction than non-fiction.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2016, 10:30:56 AM »

Topic of the Day:

I am currently reading "Captain's Fury," book 4 in Jim Butcher's CODEX ALERA series.  I have it on my Kindle.  I also have the last two in the series on my Kindle:  "Princeps' Fury" and "First Lord's Fury."  There are only six in the series.  Jim Butcher also wrote (and is still writing) the DRESDEN FILES series.  I really like his writing style and his books are quick reads.  He does have some pretty violent fight scenes in both his series, so there's that, but you never really lose track of what's happening.  He's good about that.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2016, 10:31:08 AM »

Just before this, I slogged through "Wicked."  Not that I was expecting anything like the musical (I know that the book came first), but it just wasn't an easy book to get through.  I downloaded through OverDrive, "The Wicked Years" (the four-book series), so that's all in one download.  I don't know how soon it'll be before I read the next book in the series. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2016, 10:31:43 AM »

And other recent read books include:

"Ghost Story" by Jim Butcher (book 13 of THE DRESDEN FILES)
"Cursor's Fury" by Jim Butcher (book 3 of CODEX ALERA)
"Patrick Bronstein Presents" by our very own BK

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2016, 10:38:02 AM »

First post after the last post!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2016, 10:38:56 AM »

I watched M. Night Shyamalan's "The Visit" this weekend.

Great performances by the two youngsters.  Strange movie, but I don't regret watching it.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2016, 10:39:38 AM »

I watched the Warner Archive Blu ray of "Silk Stockings".

Stunning!

There is some really terrific dancing in this movie.

Jane

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2016, 10:56:37 AM »

TOD - I read both fiction and nonfiction, but have been concentrating on fiction lately.  Some recent memorable nonfiction:

Hissing Cousins, a joint biography of Eleanor Roosevelt and Alice Roosevelt Longworth

Right now I'm reading a novel called The Miniaturist for book group.  Next up:  Madison and Jefferson by Andrew Burstein and Nancy Isenberg in preparation for our visits at the end of the month to Montpelier and Monticello in Virginia.

I put a hold on DIMESTORE at my library.

I wish you clear weather when you are at Monticello.  What I recall most about my tour there was the guide repeating over and over and over, that we were missing a beautiful view due to the fog ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2016, 11:23:49 AM »

I'm up, I'm up, and have been up since nine - only seven hours of sleep.  And then a few irritating things to deal with.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2016, 11:36:31 AM »

Bruce I noticed the photo of you with Cathy on facebook and waiting until I came here to commented.  I immediately noticed the tucked in shirt and your new, improved, look :)

Agreed!  Most excellent!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2016, 12:45:57 PM »

I've been in apartment chaos all day, since i decided it was time to think about winterizing the placer.  that means moving filing cabinets, putting the accumulated summer crap and books away, and it's a project for several days.  I was stupid to begin it today since Joshie is coming by at any moment to show me the rest of his KING & I scores for Act One.  We want to finish this project up by Friday, since he's got Finian's Rainbow for the Irish Rep and Titanic for Signature Theatre waiting for him.  He's booked through December.  I am very happy for him and a but jealous that he's working and I'm doing so little.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 02:30:13 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2016, 12:58:02 PM »

Boy, it struck me during that post just how much he is indeed working.

Are these all re-orchestrations for smaller ensembles (if that isn't a gross simplification)?

ChasSmith

« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2016, 01:00:49 PM »

Me, I just went out to made a small donation to the local historical society, buy some cat food and litter, and bring in the mail.  Now I have to ready the trash for tomorrow morning's pickup.  Those are my achievements for the past few hours.  Isn't that exciting?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2016, 01:39:59 PM »

Back from a bacon and cheese omelet and an English muffin.  I'll jog in a little while, but I'm really sore from pushing these last few days so I think I may just deserve a shorter jog today.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2016, 01:57:22 PM »

I put a hold on DIMESTORE at my library.

I wish you clear weather when you are at Monticello.  What I recall most about my tour there was the guide repeating over and over and over, that we were missing a beautiful view due to the fog ;D

Will likely do that later. Met Smith briefly at the local Books and Author luncheon. Very nice. I like her work.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2016, 01:58:32 PM »

I am currently reading "Cat's Cradle" by Kurt Vonnegut.  I'm not sure what I think about it, different for sure.  Has anyone read it?

I had to read it for 10th grade English class. Don't remember a think about it.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2016, 02:47:29 PM »

Boy, it struck me during that post just how much he is indeed working.

Are these all re-orchestrations for smaller ensembles (if that isn't a gross simplification)?

Finian's Rainbow is for only four players, I believe, so it's all new.  I cannot speak for Titanic.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2016, 04:24:21 PM »

Page two?  Really?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2016, 04:24:30 PM »

Not the day for this.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2016, 04:25:23 PM »

Back from a two-and-a-half mile jog - that's now going to be the shorter jog, with four-and-a-half being the longest, three-and-a-half being the longer, and two-and-a-half being the normal.

Jane

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2016, 04:26:47 PM »

That doesn't surprise me.  It seemed like something I should read.

I had to read it for 10th grade English class. Don't remember a think about it.

I can't imagine having the book assigned in 10th grade. We were still doing drop drills, as in hide under the desk so you don't see the bomb coming ;D

Jane

« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2016, 04:30:11 PM »

Every once in a while we see a plane landing in Portland that we can't identify.  Today we saw this one. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmStJ4lORI8

I think it is a pretty color green.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up