Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BEING INDEPENDENT ON INDEPENDENCE DAY  (Read 6901 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: BEING INDEPENDENT ON INDEPENDENCE DAY
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2017, 11:02:05 AM »

Four!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2017, 11:02:20 AM »

On Sunday, I made a combined birthday dinner for Mom and Dad. I made garlic-stuffed lamb, which is one of his favorites, as well as some oven-roasted Greek potatoes with garlic and oregano as well as a Greek salad and some snap peas with garlic.

You are a good son
I dunno. I took their car.

That was probably the best thing you could have done considering the circumstances.  When it became apparent my dad was no longer safe behind the wheel we persuaded him to "lend" it to  the Vixter (whom he adored)  so she could get to work and school

We had a similar experience with my Mom.  She gave us her car for Rob, when he was about to start his first college co-op, in exchange for the golf cart we bought for her to tootle around the retirement community.  She's been asking recently what happened to her car and lamenting that she had a lot of friends as long as she could drive them around.

It was difficult for me to deal emotionally with my father's dementia, yet he never made heartbreaking comments like this.

Jane

« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2017, 11:04:21 AM »

DR Laura do you plan to foster kittens again? 

I don't know. I've thought about it. The room they would be in is pretty much a storage room now.

Also, I have discovered some new cats in the back yard. There were two toms, but I have seen some small adults that are ear-tipped, meaning they have been spayed/neutered. I learned from Nextdoor.com that a nearby neighbor has trapped and neutered a few.

There are also kittens. Sandra wants to catch them and keep them. I don't know. I have appointments at the clinic to take them to be fixed if I can catch them.

Good luck with catching them all, and to Sandra on socializing the kittens so they are adoptable.

Jane

« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2017, 11:05:10 AM »

Here is a photo of the (almost) complete float cast that shows the front of my dress:

I would have liked to wear a dress like this when I was young, just soooo cute and charming.

Jane

« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2017, 11:06:50 AM »

TOD:

When I was seven, we went to visit Mom's side of the family in Germany. It included a trip to Heidelberg for a few days and happened to be over the Fourth of July. The castle there was lit up with the most spectacular fireworks show I've ever seen. And there were a few people who loudly went "oooh," "aaaaah," "eeeee" and "ohhhhhh" for the entire show. It made us laugh and we still do it.

As we were going over Mom's decades of postcards that she collected, we found several of Heidelberg and we all started up with the chorus of "ooooh" and "aaaaah" all over again.

Super cool.  Having been in Heidelberg I can picture it.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2017, 12:10:04 PM »

vixmom - I think you might even be able to get a free signed copy.  I know people who know people!

:-* :-*
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2017, 12:22:41 PM »

Hello, everyone.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2017, 12:23:11 PM »

I read the posts, but am out of time. I'll be back later.

John G.

« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2017, 12:23:51 PM »

Bye, Jeanne.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2017, 12:24:41 PM »

Glad you're home safely, John G. Glad you accomplished what you needed to on the trip.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2017, 12:24:54 PM »

Bye.

John G.

« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2017, 12:26:42 PM »

Watching a TV show/documentary on Hogarth. I guess It's rather related to the day as I first learned of his work when we saw it in Williamsburg, Va. It was used to mix in with all the "authentic replicas" of furniture and knickknacks. The pictures were infinitely more interesting than anything else we saw.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2017, 12:37:03 PM »

I've reached an hurdle with the NYMF show today.  I cannot proceed wit "Pirate for Hire" until I hear from the composer.  I have a score and a recording.  The two do not match, so which are they doing?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 02:48:21 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #104 on: July 04, 2017, 12:38:59 PM »

Back from the Aquarium, which was great to get to know again.  Even greater was enjoying two (count 'em) features in real 70mm IMAX.

Now to relax for a couple of hours before heading out to my friend's par-tay.

John G.

« Reply #105 on: July 04, 2017, 01:12:39 PM »

U've reached an hurdle with the NYMF show today.  I cannot proceed wit "Pirate for Hire" until I hear from the composer.  I have a score and a recording.  The two do not match, so which are they doing?

Is one better than the other?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #106 on: July 04, 2017, 01:17:51 PM »

Watching Follies in Concert. There's a great scene where Barbara Cook gets up to sing "In Buddy's Eyes" and everyone in the rehearsal room is fixated on her. Lee Remick is on the verge of tears. The younger performers are glued to her. And then there's Elaine Stritch off in a corner with a cigarette in her mouth and she's distracted by her shoes or something. She's not paying attention to anything.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: July 04, 2017, 01:28:58 PM »

I'm up again - I slept another three hours.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: July 04, 2017, 01:29:15 PM »

Darling Daughter is coming at four and we'll got get something to eat.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: July 04, 2017, 02:21:33 PM »

Listening to the marvy music of Borodin.  It's fun because you get to constantly realize where Wright and Forrest "borrowed" from to make the score to Kismet.  Was listening to the string quartet number two and suddenly I'm hearing And This is My Beloved.  But the symphonies (two and the incomplete third) are fantastic.  I'd got two sets of them - Neemi Jarvi was the one everyone raved about and I got it, but like most of the Jarvi I hear, I'm not that fond of it, especially compared to the full throttle, exciting and lush performance in the other set from Melodiya, conducted by Svetlanov.  I also have two other performances of the second symphony that I enjoy.  The Jarvi does have the orchestration that was done for the third movement of the string quartet (And This is My Beloved), so that's nice.  But for recommendations it's the Svetlanov.  The two quartets are on a cheap Eloquence disc.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: July 04, 2017, 02:25:53 PM »

Second movement of the second string quartet: Baubles, Bangles, and Beads.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: July 04, 2017, 02:26:05 PM »

This is a guy who knew how to write a tune.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: July 04, 2017, 02:26:17 PM »

Trying to figure out what I might feel like eating.

John G.

« Reply #113 on: July 04, 2017, 02:41:34 PM »

Listening to the marvy music of Borodin.  It's fun because you get to constantly realize where Wright and Forrest "borrowed" from to make the score to Kismet.  Was listening to the string quartet number two and suddenly I'm hearing And This is My Beloved.  But the symphonies (two and the incomplete third) are fantastic.  I'd got two sets of them - Neemi Jarvi was the one everyone raved about and I got it, but like most of the Jarvi I hear, I'm not that fond of it, especially compared to the full throttle, exciting and lush performance in the other set from Melodiya, conducted by Svetlanov.  I also have two other performances of the second symphony that I enjoy.  The Jarvi does have the orchestration that was done for the third movement of the string quartet (And This is My Beloved), so that's nice.  But for recommendations it's the Svetlanov.  The two quartets are on a cheap Eloquence disc.

Love that music. Just love it. Need to find the Percy Faith plays Borodin CD with a Kismet-y cover on it.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #114 on: July 04, 2017, 02:43:49 PM »

The garden was glad to get a second watering today. Most of the plants survived, but several didn't. I think my oregano is dead. It was time for the marigolds; it's just too hot. But the tomatillo is surprisingly resilient. I don't know if there will be any fruit, but the leaves are coming back.

The habanero is covered with ripe fruit. I need to harvest them tonight.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #115 on: July 04, 2017, 02:48:39 PM »

On the way back yesterday, I listened to the new Stephen King novella, Gwendy's Button Box. Decent little story, nicely read.

The other book was called House of Names by Colm Tobin, the man who wrote Brooklyn. It's a retelling of the Oresteia. Very good, but not great. The three narrators were all British or Irish, and sadly they pronounced "guards" and "gods" the same way: "gawds." That wouldn't have been a problem except for the fact that the author used both words liberally.

I remember reading the Oresteia back in ninth grade and being taken with the bloody tale of Clytemnestra killing husband Agamemnon before son Orestes kills mom. Such passion, such hate, such gore.

I was going through some books earlier and found a Ted Hughes translation of the Oresteia. Guess I know what I'm going to read when I finish Proust.

― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #116 on: July 04, 2017, 02:50:06 PM »

Now watching a bootleg of a Chicago production of Follies with Brent Barrett, Caroline O'Connor and Susan Moniz. Well sung and fairly well filmed.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #117 on: July 04, 2017, 02:55:05 PM »

On Sunday, I made a combined birthday dinner for Mom and Dad. I made garlic-stuffed lamb, which is one of his favorites, as well as some oven-roasted Greek potatoes with garlic and oregano as well as a Greek salad and some snap peas with garlic.

You are a good son
I dunno. I took their car.

That was probably the best thing you could have done considering the circumstances.  When it became apparent my dad was no longer safe behind the wheel we persuaded him to "lend" it to  the Vixter (whom he adored)  so she could get to work and school

We had a similar experience with my Mom.  She gave us her car for Rob, when he was about to start his first college co-op, in exchange for the golf cart we bought for her to tootle around the retirement community.  She's been asking recently what happened to her car and lamenting that she had a lot of friends as long as she could drive them around.

It was difficult for me to deal emotionally with my father's dementia, yet he never made heartbreaking comments like this.

That's just the tip of the iceberg, DR Jane.

When Rob visited her while I was in Chicago, she asked him if he had a girlfriend.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #118 on: July 04, 2017, 02:58:01 PM »

On a cheerier note, we thoroughly enjoyed Rick's Independence Day carillon concert and had a nice chat with him afterwards.  Richard and I had a late lunch/early dinner at Izzy's deli on Red Bank Road on the way home.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #119 on: July 04, 2017, 03:09:59 PM »

Darling Daughter is coming at four and we'll got get something to eat.

Have a good time.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up