Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: FIDDLER ON THE NOTES  (Read 2899 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FIDDLER ON THE NOTES
« on: June 28, 2021, 12:30:35 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes fiddled, and now it is time for you to post until the fiddling cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: FIDDLER ON THE NOTES
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 12:31:28 AM »

And the word of the day is: BELVEDERE!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 12:42:23 AM »

Topic of the Day:  I've never seen a live production of Fiddler on the Roof.  I've seen the movie, and clips on YouTube of productions from around the world, but never a whole production.  I do love the score, though.  Maybe I'll get to see it someday.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 03:53:51 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 03:55:56 AM »

I had a terrible night of sleep, and I wish I could blame the heat, which was bearable, or the cats, who were well-behaved for a change. I was like a yo-yo, up and down all night, once I got to sleep, and that took forever. I have things to accomplish today, but I'm sure I see a nap in my immediate future.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 03:58:43 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 03:57:15 AM »

There are several things I do need to accomplish today, and I will try to accomplish those once kitty cleanup is out of the way.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 03:59:46 AM »

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 04:42:34 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 04:45:01 AM »

I have seen several dinner theater productions of Fiddler on the Roof. I don’t remember who starred in them. The quality varied, but the show always manages to get me with the song Far from the Home I Love.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2021, 04:47:49 AM »

I saw the movie Fiddler when I was a kid. I haven’t felt the need to see it again. I loved it as a kid but I also found it overstuffed, though I wouldn’t have been able to explain it then.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 04:48:33 AM »

I liked the people in the documentary more than the actual movie.
― Voltaire

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2021, 05:22:22 AM »

Good morning, friends.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 05:22:37 AM »

Sorry, DR elmore3003.  Hope you can get some quality rest.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 05:23:42 AM »

I always thought that the movie version of Fiddler had a reputation as being one of the more faithful adaptions of its stage counterpart.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2021, 05:24:26 AM »

But for me, some of the magic of the stage always dissolves when translated into the reality of film.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2021, 05:32:06 AM »

I have seen many amateur productions of Fiddler, mostly quite bad. I did see the 70s revival in New York with Mostel that bk mentioned.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2021, 05:39:06 AM »

Kitty cleanup and the major chore are over, thank God.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2021, 05:44:53 AM »

In the mid=1990s, there was a wonderful copy shop on Amsterdam Avenue around 84th Street. I used them a lot, especially on BK's albums. for copies of orchestra parts and reductions of scores to 8.5x11 copies. The staff was great, especially Granville, a hefty African-American man who went out of his way to see things went smoothly. One day I had a sudden nosebleed while I was copying, and he supplied me with tomns of Kleenex as I copied.

Anyway, I haven't thought about him for years. I have no idea where he is now or how he is. Last night I dreamed I was meeting him for a movie.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2021, 05:47:13 AM »

I saw a good dinner theatre prouction of Fiddler on the Roof around 1978. I had already seen and loved the film. DR vixmom and I saw the last revival in previews. Danny Burstein was wonderful, as was most of the cast. I did not like the director's concept.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2021, 06:05:28 AM »

Monday - I am still working on GO GO GO JOSEPH for tonight's blocking.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2021, 06:08:42 AM »

I almost always enjoy FIDDLER ON THE ROOF - although some vanity casting has sometimes made the evening a slog.

I also like being in a production of it.....my favorite role is Avram the bookseller....

I have seen two touring productions.....in one the guy from the movie played Tevye and he was good.  I don't know who was the first Tevye and I don't have my program....but the whole show was great.

I love the Wedding Scene and The Dream.....like DR JOHN G I really like "Far From The Home I Love".....but I guess my favorite would have to be "Tradition."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2021, 06:12:06 AM »

According to the inner web - I saw Theodore Bikel as Tevye.......

John G.

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2021, 06:37:34 AM »

I read the first book about the making of Fiddler. I own the more recent book but haven’t made the time to read it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 06:39:55 AM by John G. »
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2021, 09:09:06 AM »

Monday afternoon greetings!  I've just spent a delightful hour in my second-to-last ALA virtual session, learning about forthcoming books from 4 very astute librarians and the editor of Booklist magazine.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2021, 09:13:33 AM »

TOD - I first saw a tour Fiddler at Detroit's Fisher Theatre when I was in high school, with, I think, Herschel Bernardi as Tevye.  We saw 2 high school productions when Rob was that age - one at Middletown HS with a truly multi-cultural cast (African-American Tevye, Asian American daughter, etc.) and one at Franklin HS with our niece Lauren as Fruma Sarah.  Our most recent Fiddler experience was at the Museum of Jewish History in New York, where we saw the Yiddish production directed by Joel Grey.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ChasSmith

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2021, 09:28:59 AM »

Good morning, all.

No. Damn it to HELL, it's afternoon. How did that happen?

ChasSmith

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2021, 09:39:19 AM »

I regret missing both the Danny Burstein and Yiddish productions. (I was rather predisposed to not love the actual production, but I wanted to see Danny Burstein.)

Plenty of unmemorable Fiddlers, but I'll never forget seeing Jan Peerce in a summer Musicarnival / Kenley Players production in northeastern Ohio around 1971. I went, not expecting much except to enjoy seeing him do something else after he'd sung a couple of concert operas with us in Cleveland, but I was stunned at his performance, so full of humanity, and how affective and heartbreaking I found, for the first time, the "Little Chavala" scene, thanks to his singing.

ChasSmith

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2021, 09:42:57 AM »

So, our heat wave is lasting through Wednesday. That had been the original forecast, then they seemed to be extending it into Thursday. This morning they're showing Thursday as relief day, but they've also raised our temperatures from "just into the 90s" to the mid-90s.

But we do have air conditioners, and I wouldn't trade that for what DRs George and TCB are dealing with, no sir.

ChasSmith

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2021, 09:44:33 AM »

Bought my ticket to see Victor Victoria at the Bedford tomorrow evening. That will be most enjoyable.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up