Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: MY HEART BELONGS TO LESLIE  (Read 35759 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MY HEART BELONGS TO LESLIE
« on: May 21, 2004, 12:01:30 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know whom my heart belongs to, you gotta have heart and therefore you gotta post until the cows come home.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 01:16:50 AM by bk »

Jed

Re:MY HEART BELONGS TO LESLIE
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 12:09:46 AM »

Media check...

DVD - Camp - see yesterday's posts for my comments (actually, here's a summary... blecch)
VCR - empty
CD - Carmen highlights (Paris National Opera Theatre), Company... in Jazz
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 12:17:10 AM »

Good news story!
I received a parcel today from India. About a month ago I ordered a Eurovision song (the Irish entrant) from HMV in London. The Cd was sent in error (HOW?) to a Non Banking Financial firm in India. Parcel was opened and the invoice/receipt had my name and address.  The parcel has been forwarded by an international delivery orgainisation to my home.
Through The wonder of the Internet I was able to locate an email address for the Indian Company and was thus able, through the Personnel Manager, to send my thanks to the employee involved in such kindness.
I thought maybe Michael Barnum has shifted to Padi Chennai (Where the office is located). He is my only Indian connection.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 12:24:29 AM »

Dear BK: You will find that Lockstock and Barrel are characters in the musical Urinetown, which you mentioned you will be seeing on Sunday.  Hope you have fun!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 12:34:28 AM »

Re: DVD player:

Two of the new Disney-in-a-Tin collections, the one on Tomorrowland and On the Front Lines, the WWII collection.  The latter includes Der Furher's Face, which der Brucer (no relation) hadn't seen before now.  Roy Disney also gives a good interview to Leonard Maltin on the Front Lines set.

But right now I'm running through the Good Eats discs.  For one thing, he's got episodes dealing with potato salad and cole slaw, stuff I need to know if I'm to dish up said dishes for the upcoming grandlad birthday.  At the same time, Alton Brown is just about the only cooking show host to deal with kitchen equipment in a serious way, so watching his shows counts as doing my homework for my new job.

Reading?  Not much time for that now, but I have also been re-reading Alton Brown's GEAR For Your Kitchen.  Homework.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 12:36:07 AM »

Remember, the only uni-tasker you need in your kitchen is a fire extinguisher.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004, 12:49:43 AM »

Congratulations SWW -and hopefully I can soon follow your example in the job front!

Please remind us again where to click to get the latest Juliana's Journal.  I keep getting March and April!

Allison Hayes and Leslie Parrish AND Gene Barry.  Yes, Allison's role as Ellie was a bit of a semi regular thing....she played the role in 3 episodes of BAT MASTERSON.

In my CD player - STATE FAIR the two-movie Soundtrack album by Mr Redman

DVD player - BILLIE

VCR - RELUCTANT DEBUTANTE

So MR BK did Marguerite Sierra sing a song in the Boom Boom Room on that episode of SURFSIDE SIX?  Not to be confused with Connie Stevens singing a song in the Shell Bar on HAWAIIAN EYE, of course.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2004, 12:50:22 AM »

In my CD player at work:  Bounce.  I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but so far I like it.  I guess I like the fact that it’s familiar, but I do realize that that doesn’t make it a good score and certainly not a good show.  But, as I've said before...my standards are low. ::)

After Bounce will be the ps classics release of A Year With Frog and Toad.  I've really enjoyed the few clips of the show that I've heard on Donald's show (last year?) and seen on TV.  I hope the rest of it is as delightful.

In my DVD player:  "The First Nudie Musical."  My housemate and I watched the video to Oh Calcutta! a few days ago because he had never seen any movie or show with nudity, so we watched it...bad as it is.  He also now wants to see "The First Nudie Musical" and I told him that, although both have nudity, one (the latter) is infinitely better than the other (the former).  That's the main reason that we wached Oh Calcutta! first.  We probably won't be able to watch it until Sunday, though.  He'll wait.

On my first album THE SONGS OF NEW YORK for Book-of-the-Month Club,

Elmore, I just won a copy of this on eBay a few of days ago!  I've paid for it but haven't gotten it yet.  It's coming from England and I don't know how long it'll take.  Can't wait!

And don't worry about the dancing smilies.  You'll get it!  In the words of Richard Rodgers via Julie von Trapp, "I have confidence!"
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 12:54:40 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2004, 01:34:13 AM »

No, Marguerite doesn't sing in that episode, Jrand.

Okay, I was bad - my new high score is 220,920.  Has anyone scored higher?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2004, 02:23:58 AM »

I found Juliana's Journal....whew!

Too bad - Marguerite was pretty good, although her material usually wasn't.

I can't believe you had never seen Surfside Six!   That WBros lot was hopping in the early 60's!  
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 02:24:14 AM by JRand53 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2004, 02:26:54 AM »

Shakalaka shakalaka shakalaka!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 02:27:23 AM by JRand53 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2004, 03:52:47 AM »

And don't worry about the dancing smilies.  You'll get it!  In the words of Richard Rodgers via Julie von Trapp, "I have confidence!"

DR George, you are so kind to say that, but I feel that I'm proving the truths behind cliches like teaching old dogs new tricks!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 04:05:37 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2004, 04:05:03 AM »

Good morning, all!  I think Bookworm is the culprit leading all Hainsies to ruin on the computer.  I was very good about avoiding it yesterday, now that I know it's part of DR Panni's attempts at world domination, and who knows what subconscious information those little tiles are removing from our input?

Haven't heard BOUNCE yet, and I'm rather apathetic about it.  Unlike my Dear Friend BK, I'm very fond of the scores to ASSASSINS and SUNDAY IN THE PARK, but everythng else after SWEENEY TODD has left me wondering what I'm missing that the cult members are swooning over.

TOD:  I have no idea!  I haven't planned my weekend well. I've been juggling several projects and with deadlines in two weeks I think I'll mostly be watching sheets of paper.  

I have to watch ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE (don't ask!) so that's waiting by the DVD player.  Hopefully, I'll catch that at some point.

I keep hoping the evidently lost order of FINE AND DANDY arrives since that's my current listening obsession.  When it shows, it's my CD priority.

VCR:  I have a tape of Warner Brothers detective television, courtesy of DR MBarnum, to finish.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2004, 04:28:00 AM »

DR ELMORE Attack of the Puppet People is not the chore you may think it is, but that is just my opinion, of course.  But WHY would one HAVE to watch it?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2004, 04:57:25 AM »

DR ELMORE Attack of the Puppet People is not the chore you may think it is, but that is just my opinion, of course.  But WHY would one HAVE to watch it?

Out of friendship.  It's just something I wouldn't select from the numerous options I have, but I have a good friend who's quite fond of it, I understand, and I feel it's something I should do.  I had BENJAMIN KRITZER for about six months before I read it because I could pass it by for something else.  My friendship for BK, plus his constant nudging on the board, gave me a deadline to read all three, and I'm extremely happy I did.  I may walk away from THE PUPPET PEOPLE thinking it's the best film ever made.

Ben

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2004, 05:03:10 AM »

Work CD is Sweet Charity and then I Had a Ball with the delicious Karen Morrow.

I'm seeing Match (with the delicious Frank Langella) tonight and since Anthony skipped dance class last night we watched Two's Company on real time so there is nothing at the moment in the VCR. We have domestic plans for Saturday (more picture hanging, cleaning the rugs, etc.) so we will probably put some music in to complement our domesticity.

Because of the recent mention of the song title, SHAKALAKA, BABY is now running incessantly through my brain!!! I also saw Bombay Dreams Wednesday. To damn it with faint praise, it's not awful. The big problem, IMHO (in my humble opinion), is the book. I think it's dreadful. From what I understand, it follows the idea of a Bollywood movie fairly closely but the dialogue is stilted and unreal. The situations are stereotypical and the characters don't generate much sympathy from me. Some of the production numbers are a lot of fun, including SHAKALAKA, BABY. As Jason mentioned, since it's done in a streaming fountain, the mikes would be useless. Although I'm something of a purist, I wasn't bothered by the fact that it was lip-synched. The score didn't impress me much. There are numbers that stick in your head (I won't repeat for a third time that ubiquitous title) like Salam Bombay, which opens and closes the show, but I don't think there will be a standout hit. It's doing better business than one would expect considering the reviews and no Tony nods. I saw it through TDF so I was in the proverbial nosebleed section of the Broadway Barn (I like that name Jason). The last three rows of the "rear mezzanine" (IT'S THE BALCONY PEOPLE!!!) were empty on all sides but the rest of the house was full and there were many, many South Asians in the audience, including a family of 7 with two children who looked to be about 6 and 8. I must say, if I had paid full price ($101.25) I would have been disappointed and perhaps not so forgiving but for $30 I'll look at it as slight entertainment. Not awful (like I said before) but not great either. I have certainly seen worse this theatrical season.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 05:04:16 AM by Ben »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2004, 05:03:26 AM »

Ah indeed you may.  I have the same friend, I imagine.

Ben

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2004, 05:13:32 AM »

Elmore, we have (or had in my case) the same problem re: delivery of packages. I was waiting for Wal-Mart to deliver my copy of Call Me Madam, and waiting and waiting and waiting. When I ordered it I used my office address for deliver. It's sometmes easier to get packages at my office since we live in a small building with no doorman. I've never had a problem, except for Wal-Mart. Orders from Amazon and Collector's Choice Music and other retail outlets arrive on-time or before their scheduled delivery dates. Both times I have ordered from Wal-Mart, it has taken WEEKS to get my package. The first came through but about two weeks past the announced arrival date. When I ordered Call Me Madam they said it would take about two weeks to get to me. They even sent a confirmation e-mail and told me when to expect it. I'm one of the first people in the office in the morning so I can check the mail and it never came. Over a month has passed since the arrival date. I finally just wrote and asked for a refund. To their credit, they issued one with no question asked. I've still been checking the morning mail and no package from Wal-Mart. I can't imagine where that DVD is. Oh, well. The good side to all this is, I will just have to go out to Tower (where I've seen it) and buy it for less money that it cost from Wal-Mart. At WM, with tax and shipping it came to $17.10. At Tower the DVD is $10 so with tax it will be much less than $17.10. I've actually had a hard time finding this little sucker anyway which is why I ordered it from Wal-Mart to begin with. I'm in New York, the Ethel Merman Capital of the World. Why do I have such a hard time finding Call Me Madam (I avovided, by the by, Footlight, expressly because I didn't want to pay their sometimes inflated prices).

Anyway, that's enough for an early morning post. I'm turning into Jose (that's not a bad thing). Bye for now.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2004, 05:24:45 AM »

I have been meaning to mention the Daytime Emmies tonight.  My friend  and father of my goddaughter, Ron Raines, is up for a Supporting Actor Emmy tonight.  Keep your fingers crossed!

Tomovoz

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2004, 05:31:41 AM »

DVD: Just finished watching (for the first time - an obscure Polly Bergen reference), "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" which I thoroughly enjoyed.
Most recent CDs to be played.
Tommy Roe's Greatest hits.
Chris Doran "If My World Stopped Turning". (Irish singer).
"UrineTown"
Record: "I Love Onions" - Susan Christie.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2004, 06:20:57 AM »

Gotta say I loved the topic yesterday about favorite 21st century songs.  It pleased me to see the DRs didn't pick very much by the annointed four: Jason Robert Brown, Adam Guettel, Ricky Ian Gordon and Michael John LaChiusa.  One Brown song mentioned, All the Wasted Time, is one of my favorite Brown songs, but it comes from the 20th century.  (As does the lovely If I Ever Say I'm Over You by the surpassingly emotional John Bucchino.)  Good choices - I should have remembered the Amour overture, which I've only heard on Donald Feltham's Broadway Radio Hour on this here site - and I only wish people had named more.

What's in the media players (Godspell and Purlie) is not nearly as important as what they're on: a new wooden shelving unit that DW Joy put together.  Upon discovering the TV didn't fit on it, she almost ran out and bought a new TV, but we've another place for that.

And I'm listening to Godspell because I'm embroiled in a production of it: May 30 & 31, free, at The Circle-in-the-Square (Uptown).  Sunday 5/30 @ 8; Monday 5/31 @ 2 & 8.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2004, 06:31:55 AM »

BK - I agree with almost everything you said about Sondheim's post-Sweeney scores and shows.  The only one I disagree on is MERRILY which, though not perfect, is an enjoyable score with a book that almost works.  I find the way the book first shows you three unhappy, unlikable people and peels back layer after layer until you see them as three youths whose life is full of hope and promise is fascinating.

And speaking of MERRILY, it is in my CD Player (in the version you produced) since I am seeing a production of it tonight.  Also in my CD player is ASSASSINS (which I am seeing Tuesday despite my reservations about the book and the concept in general), FINE AND DANDY and the long awaited new CD by Jane Olivor who is in better voice than ever.

DVD - With the new Disney Treasures finally released all other DVDs I haven't watched yet will have to wait.

VHS - Taping the daytime Emmys tonight for the tribute to the late Anna Lee and nine other soap veterans.

Book - MAKING IT ON BROADWAY by Weiner & Langel, a book that is sort of A CHORUS LINE in printed form.  153 actors and actresses with Broadway credits (mostly recognizable names and many members of the BK Rep Company) talk about moving to New York, auditioning, working on Broadway, etc.  It's a delightful book and I think will appeal to any reader of this here site.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2004, 06:37:14 AM »

I remember being bowled over by Leslie Parrish when I saw LI'L ABNER on TV years ago (mid-60s, I suspect; I didn't know she had a voice double on the songs), and I wrote the entertainment editor of the local paper to find out more about her, what other albums she had out besides the soundtrack to the film, etc. Anyway, he recommended some gangster movie where she had a supporting part. It wasn't MURDER, INC. but for the life of me now, I can't remember the name of that film. I'm sure BK would know it. Oh, I just remembered it - PORTRAIT OF A MOBSTER.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2004, 06:43:59 AM »

Well, I have only started BOUNCE. I started it last weekend actually but got sidetracked on other things and have only heard the first ten minutes or so. I'll try to get to it this weekend and give thoughts on it.

I violently disagree with others who have felt his work and his shows lacking after SWEENEY. Can't comment on MERRILY as a stage work as I've never seen a professional production, but the first act of SUNDAY is as good as any musical ever made, INTO THE WOODS as masterful as can be, and ASSASSINS a near masterpiece. I, too, was not at all fond of PASSION, in case some of you are thinking I worship at the Sondheim altar. I have NO passion for PASSION. But I go into BOUNCE with an open mind and hope I one day get to see a production of it.

Media Alert:

CD - BOUNCE (OCR) and (in the car) FLOWER DRUM SONG soundtrack

DVD - CSI: Season 3, Disc 4 and I WAS A MALE WAR BRIDE

DVR - Last Sunday's DEADWOOD and FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX recorded last night.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2004, 07:14:11 AM »

BK, I am glad that you enjoyed the Leslie Parrish shows! Evidently Ms. Parrish has several appearences on Surfside 6 as well as a few of the other WB shows. I will keep my eye out for them and for her!

..but did you watch the two Joi Lansing musical numbers that I included on the DVD? WEB OF LOVE is not to be missed, and I am sure you will have a comment or two! LOL!

Danise

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2004, 07:17:45 AM »

Good morning all.

Once again, all the wonderful vibes from this place has done its magic and I am starting to feel good.  Good enough that I have decided to take my trip, as planned.  

I may not be able to do everything I wanted but that just means that I just will have to go back sometime.  Pity Party here!   :D

Things have been so crazy the past week, I'm sorry I haven't had time to read all the posts or fix some more photos to fit the web.  I promise when I get back I will do better.

I'm off from work today but that was preplanned because I knew I needed time to go to the grocery store for Mom and I would have errands to run.  Can't do them tomorrow because of going to Le Miz.  I'll be hitting the hay super early tomorrow night because I have to get up around  2:30 AM.  The car picks me up at 4:10 and my flight leaves at 7.  

I am getting a 2nd cell phone today and giving my old one to Mom.  We've talked about this before.   She can't hear the phone when she is in her room and would like a phone to keep by her bed or to carry with her if she's outside.

When I get the new number, I'll PM it to you, Elmore.  I'm looking forward to meeting you and any of the other members of the board as I can while I'm there.   :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jason

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2004, 07:18:24 AM »

DR Ben: I completely agree with you about BOMBAY DREAM's terrible book. Unfortunately, I think the predictablilty and stilted dialogue really is representative of honest-to-Buddah Bollywood movies. I'm not so much surprised by the number of people filling up the Broadway Barn, but the fact that they're mostly South Asians. I really didn't think there were enough of them in New York to fill the seats, but when I saw it, I'd say the house was at least 85% South Asian, which was pretty impressive. They all seemed to be having a ball while we whities were kind of like, "huh?" It's not a terrible show--certainly not terrible enough for me to obsess over it (hehe)--it's more unfortunate, I suppose. I think it could have been wonderful, really, had they taken some more time with the book, not played down to the audience in terms of blatantly over-explaining Bollywood to Americans who are, for the most part, totally ignorant of Bollywood films, and if they hadn't futzed with the score in the transfer from London. I don't know if you've heard the London recording, but they cut a FANTASTIC song from the first act--Akaash's "I Want" song--called "Like An Eagle" and they added fourteen reprises of "Salaam Bombay." I still think "The Journey Home" (Akaash's eleven o'clock number) is gorgeous and the Shakalaka whose name shall not be mentioned is one of the catchiest, if not kitchiest, songs I've heard in the last five or six years. I stand by the score as one of the most interesting--and in some instances, beautiful--pieces I've heard in musical theatre, but that's based on what I've heard of the London production--not what they've done to it at the Broadway.

And Ben--you can get CALL ME MADAM at Tower Records at Lincoln Center. Last I saw, they had it for $10.99, but that was a couple of weeks ago.

Re. BOUNCE: BK, I'm with you all the way on this one. The show is a pastiche of every other show Sondheim has written, and if you think it's hard to listen to, you should have tried sitting through it. I had a ticket to see it a second time and I simply couldn't stomach the idea of it. I thought Howard McGillin was wonderful in the show and Michelle Pawk can do no wrong in my book. Richard Kind was OK, but he didn't bowl me over as he did countless others, and quite frankly, Jane Powell made me squirm in my seat. I understand where you're coming from regarding SUNDAY IN THE PARK and INTO THE WOODS. I love the concept of turning the fairy tales upside-down in the second act, but one starts to get the feeling that perhaps Mr. Sondheim ran out of musical ideas and just started to repeat himself. I know that's sort of the point, but after a while the audience gets bored with the eighteenth reprise of the title number. And I've always hated the second act of SUNDAY IN THE PARK. MERRILY has some wonderful moments ("Our Time" can make me uber-weepy), but sadly I don't think the show will ever work--they've been trying for 23 years to make it work and still it doesn't. I hated PASSION until I saw the Kennedy Center production, but even then I wondered if it was the show I enjoyed or simply the wonderful cast. That score, like BOUNCE, is a hodge-podge of his other stuff, and is SO incredibly dreary that it's difficult to take in, but Judy Kuhn was stunning as Fosca.

Jennifer

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2004, 07:29:36 AM »

Re: Juliana's Journal

DR JRand, I know you said you found the link.  But for anyone else who might be looking it's moved.  You will see it listed when you go to:

http://www.haineshisway.com/community

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2004, 07:32:07 AM »

BK - I agree with almost everything you said about Sondheim's post-Sweeney scores and shows.  The only one I disagree on is MERRILY which, though not perfect, is an enjoyable score with a book that almost works.  I find the way the book first shows you three unhappy, unlikable people and peels back layer after layer until you see them as three youths whose life is full of hope and promise is fascinating.

A lot to agree with here, but I've never found the book from Merrily fascinating.  In Act One, you're introduced to three characters and despise them.  In Act Two (since the play goes backwards in time) you're eventually given reason to like them, but it's too little too late and you can't shake the sour knowledge of how they end up.  Some marvelous songs though.

No, the only post-Sweeney work by Sondheim that's satisfied me is Sunday in the Park With George - it feels personal and passionate.  (I've not seen nor heard Bounce yet.) New York seems to be going through a lesser-Sondheim phase, with such shows as Assassins, The Frogs and Pacific Overtures on the boards.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jennifer

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2004, 07:33:18 AM »

I have been meaning to mention the Daytime Emmies tonight.  My friend  and father of my goddaughter, Ron Raines, is up for a Supporting Actor Emmy tonight.  Keep your fingers crossed!

I love Ron Raines and would LOVE to see him in something musical, but he has very stiff competition in his category..  I'm betting Christian LeBlanc (Michael Baldwin, Y&R) should win.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up