Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: FRIENDS  (Read 38302 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FRIENDS
« on: June 06, 2006, 12:36:00 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were friendlier than my about to be ex-friend, and now it is time for you to post until the friendly cows come home.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 12:20:59 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:FRIENDS
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 12:37:52 AM »

And the word of the day is: PERQUISITE!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 12:49:04 AM »

Ending a freindship is not easy and it often hurts but sometimes is better for both parties concerned. There will be good days and there will be bad ones. Take what you can from it and continue for perhaps in the sadness and heartache there is always that golden ray.

I have had a lot of freinds come and go, including some dissolutions of friendships, have been less painful than others.

If you feel that you did the right thing in your soul,  then go with it. Cherish the good and sift way the bad.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 12:51:04 AM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 12:49:10 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 12:54:51 AM »

Who knows, BK.  Maybe in a little while (a Once Upon a Matress reference), maturity will finally set in and the friendship might be able to resume...after a suitable period of growth.  Anything's possible.

Or not. :-\

« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 01:01:33 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 01:01:11 AM »

And the word of the day is: PERQUISITE!

When I first saw this, the only thing I could think of was that that was how you spelled "Percocet."  Not quite. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 05:25:07 AM »

God morning, all!  Well, yesterday was not a good day, so today can only be better.  Right?  Let's hope.

Today, I have a trip to Toyland and a farewell to Mr Tom Murray who is off to London to do THE LAST 5 YEARS until October, I believe.  He's been a wonderful collaborator on the Herbert scores for the past two years and I will miss his company and thoughts for the next few months.

Dear Friend BK, you and I have fought horrible battles and remained friends, and my advice is not to send the email.  I already know too much about this one you're dealing with because I, too, have known you for the past 12 years.  Some friendships are fluid and in flux, close and intense one day, then distant for long periods; it doesn't mean they're over, just no longer as important.  Feeling used and abused is one thing, feeling abandoned is another, and I'm not sure exactly whether either of thise applies.  I suggest space and time, which does not heal everything.  Form some new friendships and let the damaged one heal or die on its own.

I digress here:  it took about a month before my wallet was returned by the US Postal Service.

TOD:
  Cryer & Ford: Old Friend
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 05:42:36 AM »

TOD:
  Cryer & Ford: Old Friend

I love that song too. It really says a lot.  The Skinner and Ripley recording is one of the best.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 05:45:15 AM »

...and my advice is not to send the email..... Some friendships are fluid and in flux, close and intense one day, then distant for long periods; it doesn't mean they're over, just no longer as important...I suggest space and time, which does not heal everything....let the damaged one heal or die on its own.

I also agree with this very wise man.
Never stop dreaming.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 05:46:50 AM »

I tend to let friendships fade away naturally.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 06:25:48 AM »

"With a Friend Like You" from MAN WITH A LOAD OF MISCHIEF
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 06:27:27 AM »

Good Morning!

...Just got back from moving the car... And, unfortunately, it appears a small nest of newborn birds had fallen from a tree and landed on the hood of my car sometime over the weekend.  I guess the rains loosened it from the branches.  Hopefully, that will not be omen for how the rest of my day will go today...

In any case...

*Of course, what I'm really bummed about is that there is no other "Parking Holiday" until July 4, and then no other one until Labor Day.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 06:28:16 AM »

...Although, I guess since I'm finally getting rid of my car at the end of this month...

I guess that's sort of good news... In advance... Sort of...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 06:31:03 AM »

Birds on the Hood of My Car....this is the title of my new CD!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 06:34:17 AM »

What a sad topic of the day....and what a tragic situation.

I guess that friendships in the business of show are different than friendships in just civilian life....in that one person helping another leads to obvious and beneficial consequences.  And if said person seems to ONLY value the friendship for said benefits, well.....is that a friendship?

But then if said person's company is enjoyed and said person is honest about motives ...

I don't know.

I will say however....that I have NEVER been sorry I didn't say something....but there are many things I wish I had never said.

And so I guess my advice would be similar to DR ELMORE's.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 06:47:05 AM »

Too bad about Hairspray, but I'm not completely surprised. Cutting a show down to 90 minutes with a pumped up performance schedule will wear out a show's welcome (IMHO) faster than usual. I also think the idea of making Las Vegas the new Broadway is doomed to failure. Most people who go to Vegas don't go to see the latest Broadway tour. Even the new "family friendly" Las Vegas doesn't seem to be a rousing new stop on the Tour Schedule. Just my Two Cents.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 06:53:06 AM »

bk - As for the e-mail and the friendship...  I, too, have to agree with DR elmore.  Don't send the e-mail.  It seems as if the "friendship" has already starting to dissolve itself.  And from what I gather, you haven't heard from this person in the past couple of days as it is - which is why you're sending the e-mail in the first place - so just leave it at that for now.  Save the e-mail to a file on your computer.  Treat it like a (snail mail) letter you never sent.  You just had to put the pen to paper - or your fingers to the keyboard - to get your thoughts and feelings organized.

Ultimately, I guess what you have to ask yourself is this:  Will sending the e-mail help you?  Or will it help the other person?  My sense is that even though you do want to end this friendship, you ultimately don't want to hurt this person.  You have already helped yourself by writing the e-mail.  If you think that the contents of your e-mail will help the other person, that it will not fall on deaf ears, well, then send it.  But again, as DR elmore stated, unless there was some sort of abuse of feelings , just let the apathy take its course.

...And if somewhere down the line, in the near or distant future, this person should contact you regarding a professional or personal matter, you have a plethora of options at your disposal: "I'm busy."  "I can't do that." "Call someone else." "No." "Goodbye."  Or simply hit the "Erase/Delete" key on your cellphone as soon as the message starts.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 06:57:31 AM »

As for Hairspray closing in Las Vegas...  Well, that explains some of the calls I've been getting lately...

And with the delayed opening of the Vegas Phantom of the Opera, and the upcoming production of Spamalot...  Well... We shall just have to wait and see...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 06:59:31 AM »

Hmm...

Just watching Stokes perform on "The Today Show"... They had some strange tape/sound delay going on for the first 30 seconds of his song.  -Which happened to be a cool combination of "Take The A Train" and "Another Hundred People".
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 07:15:25 AM »

DR Elmore3003 is a smart man BK, I would take his advice.

DearReaderLaura's also.

Friendships come and go. Take pleasure in the good times you had with the person and look forward to the good times you will have with current and future friends.

MBarnum

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2006, 07:16:30 AM »

I just realized that I have a Kevin Spirtas DVD. It is called GREEN PLAID SHIRT. Maybe I will watch it this weekend.

I didn't realize tha Kevin was in it.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2006, 07:19:29 AM »

Friends -- Michael W. Smith

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2006, 07:20:56 AM »

Elmore is wise...

I just usually will let them fade and take what is good and keep that.

MBarnum

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2006, 07:28:01 AM »

Wow! The upcoming issue of SCARLET STREET magazine will be jam packed with Dear Readers and HHWians!!!

Bruce Kimmel, JRand55, FJL and his everloving Skip Kennon, and myself all have a hand in this issue with interviews, reviews, and more!!

I am sure that TD is involved somehow as well!

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2006, 07:29:43 AM »

Hiya, folks.

I got some bad news last night - remember the chapter in Jewish Thighs, early in the book, describing the protagonist's NYC apartment? Well, the actual apartment - all those years ago - belonged to an actual opera singer who had actually been engaged to sing leading roles in Berlin, and let me sub-let. For eleven years.

Anyway, she is very ill and without insurance and destitute and in Lenox Hill Hospital - last time I saw her - well over a year ago - she was her customary 5'10, 220 lbs. And apparently now is down under 120. She hadn't returned any of her friends' calls for months, and of course, never did go see a doctor... finally, she did call a physician friend, who ordered her to Lenox Hill - which does have a charity policy. I'm about to call to talk to her.

Bruce - I'd have to agree with Elmo on the email. You can set your boundaries for your own sanity and emotional safety, and be firm about your friends and associates stepping over the line. Kindness to yourself does not require a formal divorce decree in this matter.

Seven years ago, I had a bad experience with my oldest friend. I withdrew, for my own well-being... and there was silence between us, until a couple of months ago - when I called and we picked up where we left off. Life is long. You never know who is going to name their first child Bruce...
PennyO

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2006, 07:36:14 AM »

OH, Penny, that is very sad about your opera singer friend.  :-\

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2006, 07:39:24 AM »

Good morning!

Ditto yesterday - a cool morning and a beautiful day. I'm enjoying it while it lasts because I know it won't be for long.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2006, 07:41:25 AM »

I have to agree with all of the above posters; I wouldn't send the e-mail. Let the relationship take a natural course, and if it ends, it ends. But if a call for help should occur sometime later, there wouldn't be any hesitation about how to handle it.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2006, 07:42:05 AM »

Favorite friend song: "Old Friends" from MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2006, 07:43:09 AM »

I was delighted to get on-line this morning with the news that I won two laserdisc sets on Ebay. Hooray!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up