Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE APRIL FOOLS 2008  (Read 26148 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE APRIL FOOLS 2008
« Reply #240 on: April 01, 2008, 08:11:43 PM »

Patience while having fun with parents vibes to DR Jose ;)

Thanks, DR Cillaliz.  I'm sure I'll be fine.  However, I always worry a bit about my Mom when she comes to NYC.  It took me about 10 minutes today to explain where the theatre was.  They know that Port Authority is at 42nd St. and 8th Ave.  The Hirschfeld is at 45th and 8th.  "So, how many block away is it from Port Authority?"  -Just three. "So if we're at 42nd, where is 45th?"....  :P
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #241 on: April 01, 2008, 08:13:08 PM »

Thanks, DR Cillaliz.  I'm sure I'll be fine.  However, I always worry a bit about my Mom when she comes to NYC.  It took me about 10 minutes today to explain where the theatre was.  They know that Port Authority is at 42nd St. and 8th Ave.  The Hirschfeld is at 45th and 8th.  "So, how many block away is it from Port Authority?"  -Just three. "So if we're at 42nd, where is 45th?"....  :P

Believe me, I know what you mean.  I have lots of fun with my parents, but sometimes I have to remember to be patient :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #242 on: April 01, 2008, 08:18:46 PM »

Hmm... It sounds like we're in the midst of a downpour right now...  And the Weather Alerts on TV seem to be confirming that fact.  -I wonder if the Yankees game got rained out again tonight?
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #243 on: April 01, 2008, 08:26:50 PM »

I think I'm going to try to see IN THE HEIGHTS. I don't quite know my schedule yet, so I'm not sure when I'll go. They have a different schedule, no matinee on Wednesday but 2 shows on Saturday and Sunday. That's good for me since I'll be there over the weekend

Jennifer

« Reply #244 on: April 01, 2008, 08:52:36 PM »

Thanks DR Jose for the egg info.

Cillaliz

« Reply #245 on: April 01, 2008, 08:53:07 PM »

Well over the past month or so I've had about every checkup I can have.  So far the only thing they can find wrong are slightly elevated cholesterol levels. So, time to change my diet. At least it's getting close to summer and fresh vege time

Jennifer

« Reply #246 on: April 01, 2008, 08:59:35 PM »

I don't know if Costcos everywhere have the same food. But the bean salad they sell here is divine!

Jennifer

« Reply #247 on: April 01, 2008, 09:02:15 PM »

Thanks  to DR Jane too!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #248 on: April 01, 2008, 09:02:57 PM »

DR Laura, which movie did you watch?

April Fools!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #249 on: April 01, 2008, 09:06:26 PM »

You can find an amazingly well-written review of this set at DVD Talk.   ;D

I cannot tell you how envious I am. Here you're getting to do these Davis classics and the class musical box coming up, and what do I have?

That college intern reality show from the BET network and today I was SO pleased to get

ANOTHER REALITY SHOW - this time from MTV: a kind of BACHELORETTE show with a single girl being courted not only by a bunch of straight guys but also by a bunch of lesbians. It seems our lucky bachelorette is bisexual! Does THAT sound like a fun show to review? Well, maybe for a straight man it would be. For me, not so much.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #250 on: April 01, 2008, 09:08:53 PM »

Tonight I watched BIG BROTHEr and finally the 2 part finale of PROJECT RUNWAY. I skimmed thru DANCING WITH THE STARS to see the elimimination. I still have to watch IDOL.

DR Cilla, do you have a fav yet on DWTS?

Matt H.

« Reply #251 on: April 01, 2008, 09:11:02 PM »

I began my evening by finishing HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN. Always enjoy revisiting this wonderful classic. I wish the soundtrack could have been expanded into at least a stereo mix if not a full blown 5.1 mix, just for the marvelous music.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #252 on: April 01, 2008, 09:16:09 PM »

ANOTHER REALITY SHOW - this time from MTV: a kind of BACHELORETTE show with a single girl being courted not only by a bunch of straight guys but also by a bunch of lesbians. It seems our lucky bachelorette is bisexual! Does THAT sound like a fun show to review? Well, maybe for a straight man it would be. For me, not so much.

OY!!!!  You have to review "A Shot of Love (with Tila Tequila)"?!?!?!?  UGH!  -Why would that DVD set need a review?  I seriously doubt that anyone who would buy that set would actually read a review before buying it, let alone know how to read?!?!  ;D

*I only know about the show from the clips on "Chelsea Handler".
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 09:17:20 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #253 on: April 01, 2008, 09:17:35 PM »

Next, I pulled DIRTY HARRY off the shelf, a movie I haven't watched in probably a decade. I had forgotten so much about it. I was astonished to see that Andy Robinson was identified as the killer very early in the film. For some reason I had it in my mind that we didn't even see his face until the stadium showdown. Wrong!

The copy of DIRTY HARRY I have must have been one of the first Warner DVDs. There was no FBI warning screen, and the movie just started without going to the menu screen first. Even in that first year, Warner was doing anamorphic transfers of many of their films (but not all; the first BONNIE AND CLYDE was full screen).

I read recently that the DIRTY HARRY series is coming out on Blu-ray later this year, so I was eager to see what kind of transfer this was. There's dirt, and there has been no elimination of reel change markers or other artifacts. Surely the new Blu-rays will be struck from a better element. Still, they did repurpose the mono tracks and made a not bad 5.1 surround track.

I got DOG DAY AFTERNOON on Blu-ray for Christmas, but I haven't watched it yet. Seeing what it looks like on Blu-ray will likely provide a clue as to what DIRTY HARRY will look like in HD if I decide to buy it.

Matt H.

« Reply #254 on: April 01, 2008, 09:18:40 PM »

OY!!!!  You have to review "A Shot of Love (with Tila Tequila)"?!?!?!?  UGH!  -Why would that DVD set need a review?  I seriously doubt that anyone who would buy that set would actually read a review before buying it, let alone know how to read?!?!  ;D

*I only know about the show from the clips on "Chelsea Handler".

That is PRECISELY the show that came today. It is a multi-disc set, too, so it's going to take me hours to go through it all.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #255 on: April 01, 2008, 09:20:46 PM »

That is PRECISELY the show that came today. It is a multi-disc set, too, so it's going to take me hours to go through it all.

Well, with the amount of commercials that MTV's packs into their programming, hopefully it won't take too many hours.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #256 on: April 01, 2008, 09:21:10 PM »

Next, I watched an entertaining NCIS with a little boy being accidentally discovered as being kidnapped. A very intricate search for the father was launched and a nice surprise ending came out of the blue. Good job all around.

Cillaliz

« Reply #257 on: April 01, 2008, 09:23:58 PM »

Matt H.

« Reply #258 on: April 01, 2008, 09:26:07 PM »

IDOL came next. I wasn't sure what to expect with country/Dolly Parton night. In years past, country has often been a disaster. Tonight, it was the best night all around for almost everyone. The rotten singers stayed more on pitch tonight than usual, and the strong singers chose songs that really showed off what they could do. My favorites (in order)

David Archuleta

Carly Smithson

Michael Johns

David Cook

The worst:

Ramiele who REALLY needs to go.

Brooke who went first and by the end I had forgotten her performance completely (she did "Jolene")

Cristy Lee who was more on pitch tonight than she has ever been, but I found her completely detached from the audience and possessing ZERO showmanship. Of course, I said the same thing about Carrie Underwood, and look what happened to her!

Matt H.

« Reply #259 on: April 01, 2008, 09:27:16 PM »

I did flip over to see who got eliminated from DANCING WITH THE STARS. Since I didn't see the routines, I had no idea whether this person deserved to go or not.

Matt H.

« Reply #260 on: April 01, 2008, 09:28:56 PM »

And I ended my evening with the conclusion of the two part CSI: MIAMI, a preposterous episode with Deadeye Horatio mowing down a gang of Brazilian gang members with just his trusty revolver and then a frantic search for Calleigh who, as I knew she would, left clues behind so the team could trace her steps.

td

• td
« Reply #261 on: April 01, 2008, 09:29:01 PM »

April Fools!

That wasn't Gregory Peck!  That was Jack Lemmon!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #262 on: April 01, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »

Heading down to bed now.

Good night!

td

• td
« Reply #263 on: April 01, 2008, 09:50:07 PM »

I was watching a movie directed by Gene Nelson, starring Elvis.
Elvis started singing, in a strawberry blond toupee)!, a song about "This Tender Feeling" and I nearly had a kinniption fit for the tune was that of "Shenandoah!"  
Later in his film career, Elvis would sing the title tune of STAY AWAY, JOE to the tune of "Greensleeves."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #264 on: April 01, 2008, 09:54:47 PM »

Well... Since it looks like I'll be breakfasting with my parents in about eight hours...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #265 on: April 01, 2008, 10:04:40 PM »

Did I mention that I got eye-tested today and will have new glasses in about a week?

FJL

« Reply #266 on: April 01, 2008, 10:39:53 PM »

Good choice of show, Cilla!

FJL

« Reply #267 on: April 01, 2008, 10:40:20 PM »

Comforting thoughts and vibes to Larry

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #268 on: April 01, 2008, 10:52:48 PM »

I cannot tell you how envious I am. Here you're getting to do these Davis classics and the class musical box coming up, and what do I have?

That college intern reality show from the BET network and today I was SO pleased to get

Well, I would *love* to get all the Criterions like you do.  :)

Actually, the "good stuff" lately has really been luck of the draw.  What doesn't get assigned goes into a screener pool, and for some reason I keep getting there at just the right moment to pick off some of these treasures.  I have to say one of the best things I have gotten recently is a 7 DVD set of a BBC art history series called "Private Life of Masterpieces."  It was really exceptional.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #269 on: April 01, 2008, 11:01:30 PM »

And I knew more about the team members than the guys sitting next to me. :)

Yup - that's one of "The 100 Easy Ways to Lose a Man".

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up