Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: AH, BALONEY  (Read 74957 times)

Ginny

Re:AH, BALONEY
« Reply #480 on: April 16, 2007, 05:49:37 PM »

DR Ginny - Did I miss your report on The Lion King??

Nope, DR singdaw, I hadn't made one.  This was my 3rd time seeing it and DH Richard's second.  We'd first seen it on our DS Rob's first trip to NYC in 1999 and it was enchanting.  I saw it in Chicago 2 years ago with a librarian friend when we were there for a conference.  The occasion for seeing it yesterday was to take my 88-year-old mother as her Christmas present.  What surprised me was how much I'd forgotten, like the tears of the lionesses, the drying up of the water source, etc.  The adult Simba reminded me of DR Jose.

The walk to where I parked took us past the stage door and we observed Mustafa inviting a family "inside."  The kids' eyes got almost as big as mine and DR Cillaliz's when Danny Burstein invited us backstage after The Drowsy Chaperone (thanks to DR Elmore  :-*)  

Of course, now DR Cilla has been on a Broadway stage during a show and she's done the weather forecast on TV....
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

« Reply #481 on: April 16, 2007, 05:52:57 PM »

All About Us view from the peanut gallery here.

Cillaliz

« Reply #482 on: April 16, 2007, 05:53:38 PM »

Nope, DR singdaw, I hadn't made one.  This was my 3rd time seeing it and DH Richard's second.  We'd first seen it on our DS Rob's first trip to NYC in 1999 and it was enchanting.  I saw it in Chicago 2 years ago with a librarian friend when we were there for a conference.  The occasion for seeing it yesterday was to take my 88-year-old mother as her Christmas present.  What surprised me was how much I'd forgotten, like the tears of the lionesses, the drying up of the water source, etc.  The adult Simba reminded me of DR Jose.

The walk to where I parked took us past the stage door and we observed Mustafa inviting a family "inside."  The kids' eyes got almost as big as mine and DR Cillaliz's when Danny Burstein invited us backstage after The Drowsy Chaperone (thanks to DR Elmore  :-*)  

Of course, now DR Cilla has been on a Broadway stage during a show and she's done the weather forecast on TV....

But nothing beats the first time backstage at a Broadway show and that was with you!

Ginny

« Reply #483 on: April 16, 2007, 05:56:12 PM »

But nothing beats the first time backstage at a Broadway show and that was with you!

It was quite a moment, huh?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #484 on: April 16, 2007, 06:02:58 PM »

It was quite a moment, huh?

Yes, it was. Especially after a show as fun as Drowsy Chaperone.

I also enjoyed going backstage at Curtains with DRs Elmore and Jose.  We actually went to Karen Ziemba's dressing room. It was great, but still not quite as great as that moment  after Drowsy when I thought "OMG! We're going backstage at a Broadway show!!!!!"

Cillaliz

« Reply #485 on: April 16, 2007, 06:04:19 PM »

There have been many wonderful moments thanks to the DRs at this wondeful site and BK who makes it ALL possible
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 06:04:50 PM by Cillaliz »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #486 on: April 16, 2007, 06:10:46 PM »

This site came into existence about two months after 9/11 and about two weeks after the day we like to affectionately think of as Black Saturday.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #487 on: April 16, 2007, 06:11:03 PM »

Very sleepy right now.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #488 on: April 16, 2007, 06:11:49 PM »

Kate Smith would have worked better!

der Brucer

Edwin Booth would work for some!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #489 on: April 16, 2007, 06:16:37 PM »

DR Cillaliz - Well, the next time you're in NYC, if you'd like to sit in a Broadway Pit during a show...  :)

-And since most pits are "closed" now, that usually been pretty easy to arrange lately.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #490 on: April 16, 2007, 06:19:15 PM »

MMmm....  One of my roommates just made a batch of Chocolate Chip Cookies...  They're still warm, and they're sooooo good!
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #491 on: April 16, 2007, 06:21:10 PM »

AndrewSullivan

Absorbing the horror today - and the conflicting, complicating, shifting stories that keep emerging - is the kind of thing that makes you want to get the news a week after the event. There is so much we don't yet know about the Virginia Tech massacre, so much that keeps changing, so much to be angry about, and to be terribly sad about, that catching up, let alone opining, about breaking news this confused and constantly changing seems simply inappropiate. I know it's my job but blogging breaking news like this seems inappropriate to me right now. I don't even know what to have an opinion about. They're having a vigil at VT tomorrow night and some have had impromptu ones already, as above. "Vigil" seems the right response right now. Praying and watching.

(Photo: Sixteen year-old Jessica Hill takes part in a vigil for the victims of the mass killing at the southwestern university, Virginia Tech April 16, 2007 in Blacksburg, Virginia. More than 30 people were killed after a gunman opened fired first at a dormitory and later a classroom building. By Win McNamee/Getty Images)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Cillaliz

« Reply #492 on: April 16, 2007, 06:23:30 PM »

DR Cillaliz - Well, the next time you're in NYC, if you'd like to sit in a Broadway Pit during a show...  :)

-And since most pits are "closed" now, that usually been pretty easy to arrange lately.

YES! Count me in on that one! Gees, I may actually have to get back to New York sooner than I had planned.  ;)

Ginny

« Reply #493 on: April 16, 2007, 06:24:21 PM »

YES! Count me in on that one! Gees, I may actually have to get back to New York sooner than I had planned.  ;)

But, what if I get there first?  Hmmm?

Cillaliz

« Reply #494 on: April 16, 2007, 06:24:58 PM »

MMmm....  One of my roommates just made a batch of Chocolate Chip Cookies...  They're still warm, and they're sooooo good!

Count me in on hot chocolate chip cookies too

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #495 on: April 16, 2007, 06:25:12 PM »

Well, come September, it does look like I'll be back in a pit.  Just waiting to see which theatre and which show it will be.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #496 on: April 16, 2007, 06:26:01 PM »

But, what if I get there first?  Hmmm?

Well, I can only bring one guest in at a time, so... if you get here first, you get here first.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #497 on: April 16, 2007, 06:26:51 PM »

Did you pass? The Ides of April falls on the 13th!
Pay attention to Ron 8) (he gave you a hint)

der Brucer

No offense to Ron, but I recall nothing about the Ides being any day but the 15th. Wilkipedia proved my memory is faulty.

And, yes, I passed.  Swimmingly.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #498 on: April 16, 2007, 06:28:10 PM »

DR JoseSPiano, do guests have to wear pit blacks, too?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #499 on: April 16, 2007, 06:29:13 PM »

Ugh!  The New York Times "lede" feature has the model, current cost, and a link to Amazon of the camera cellphone that that CNN "I-Reporter" used.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #500 on: April 16, 2007, 06:29:27 PM »

I'm not ruling out a trip this fall.  I have the Marriott points for the hotel, just need to get a few more air miles to get the plane ticket.

Ginny

« Reply #501 on: April 16, 2007, 06:30:32 PM »

Well, come September, it does look like I'll be back in a pit.  Just waiting to see which theatre and which show it will be.

Oooo, DR Jose, that sounds exciting!

DH Richard and I will be in NYC June 28-July 2 and then I'll be back, either with him or alone, the first week of October.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #502 on: April 16, 2007, 06:31:35 PM »

DR JoseSPiano, do guests have to wear pit blacks, too?

Only if the pit is required to wear blacks.  The pits for Avenue Q and A Chorus Line are in rooms under the stage, so there is no dress code.  In fact, the pit for A Chorus Line is a virtual party - I mean, they have to do something during Paul's monologue.

And since I was on the seventh floor during Lestat, I regularly had observers come in for the show.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #503 on: April 16, 2007, 06:32:07 PM »

I've read a couple of accounts of today's tragedy and it IS impossible to know what exactly went on - as per usual with the media, they will report anything just to have something to say, and if there's nothing, they'll make something up.  Nauseating.

Aside from the obvious horror and scope of it, I also find it nauseating that these insane people who do these things most always take the easiest and most cowardly route after snuffing out lives and causing unending tragedy for the families - they put a bullet in their head.  What a world we live in.

singdaw

« Reply #504 on: April 16, 2007, 06:32:31 PM »

DH Richard and I will be in NYC June 28-July 2

Do we know yet if those dates coincide with DRs MusicGuy and MBarnum's visit?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 06:34:06 PM by singdaw »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #505 on: April 16, 2007, 06:34:05 PM »

Edwin Booth would work for some!

I used to hang at the convent of Gandersheim (editing play texts).

der Brucer

singdaw

« Reply #506 on: April 16, 2007, 06:34:47 PM »

« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 06:35:09 PM by singdaw »

Ginny

« Reply #507 on: April 16, 2007, 06:36:16 PM »

Do we know yet if those dates coincide with DRs MusicGuy and MBarnum's visit?

???

IIRC, DR MusicGuy was planning to be in town the week of June 25, but I'm not sure of DR MBarnum's plans.  We will be in Washington, DC, earlier in the week for me to attend a professional conference.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #508 on: April 16, 2007, 06:36:32 PM »

Oh, Calcutta! at the Edison?

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #509 on: April 16, 2007, 06:38:48 PM »

No offense to Ron, but I recall nothing about the Ides being any day but the 15th.

He posted the Wikipedia link in his response to you.

der Brucer
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26   Go Up