Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THROWING DOWN THE GAUNTLET  (Read 26587 times)

Jason

Re:THROWING DOWN THE GAUNTLET
« Reply #150 on: August 28, 2005, 08:10:02 PM »

DR Jason "Passion" I really like but it is not my favourite Sondheim show. Way below Sweeney, Follies, Merrily and Sunday and Company. SITPWG is IMHO the most moving of his work.
Had I seen the LuPone version I too would have walked out in tears. Subtle she knows not.

The Sondheim review's article (review) on her "Candide" is spot on!!!

Tom: Part of what I love about La LuPone is her ability to play over-the-top, but honestly - and I'm not just saying this to be contrary - she was surprisingly moving as Fosca. By far the most understated performance I've seen her give, and she sounded great.

I love act one of SUNDAY IN THE PARK. I could do without the second act.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2005, 08:12:38 PM »

I was one of the lucky ones who got to see all six shows at the Sondheim Festival - a couple of them twice, and all FREE. IMHO, PASSION was the best of the six. I'll admit this at the risk of hurting DR TomofOz's sensibilities (Aussies and their sensibilities, my lord) - PASSION was not, is not, nor will it ever be one of my favorite Sondheim scores, but that production was in and of itself as close to perfection as I could imagine. Ms. Judy Kuhn was amazing as Fosca and Mr. Cerveris was wondeful as Georgio. I've seen him do the role twice since then....he was best at the Kennedy Center. I was even uber-impressed with Ms. Rebecca Luker, whom I have always found to be a lovely singer but not-so-strong actress. She was great, and didn't even have to bare her breasts.

I was also lucky enough to get a comped ticket to the PASSION reunion concert last fall (one of the few perks of working where I do), and to see/hear Donna and Marin was thrilling.

I was also lucky enough to see/hear Ms. Patti LuPone and Ms. Audra McDonald do the concert version at Lincoln Center this spring. Every time I see the show, I go in thinking, "Not this again! I hate this show!" and I walk out in tears.

"I'm someone to be loved, and that I learned from you..."

Well... Well.. Umm...

I saw the original Broadway production five times!  Including Closing Night!  I saw the original Dr. Tambouri - who was eventually replaced by Tom Aldredge.  And I even saw one of Donna Murphy's moles fall off during a matinee during previews!  So there!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2005, 08:13:55 PM »

Tom: Part of what I love about La LuPone is her ability to play over-the-top, but honestly - and I'm not just saying this to be contrary - she was surprisingly moving as Fosca. By far the most understated performance I've seen her give, and she sounded great.

Well... It would have been nice to hear a few more of the correct notes.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2005, 08:14:15 PM »

Then came HBO's monumental ROME. There was quite a bit of action. Yes, there was exposition, but it was entertainingly done, and already sides are being formed and we see the vipers on both sides of the upcoming struggle between Pompey and Caesar. The stories of the soldiers which are going to comprise a great part of the series were only begun in tonight's episode.

I watched HBO high definition broadcast, and one could certainly see the $100 million spent on this series. Lots of authentic looking armor, hundreds of extras, and elaborate sets.

Plenty of female nudity from every angle for those interested and some nudity for the males too, but nothing frontal.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #154 on: August 28, 2005, 08:15:05 PM »

I love act one of SUNDAY IN THE PARK. I could do without the second act.

Just you wait, DR Jason.  You'll get it someday.
 ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #155 on: August 28, 2005, 08:15:27 PM »

I know this hurricane is going to be horrendous and BOY am I glad I don't live on the Gulf Coast, but these newscasters are out of control. "The Storm That New Orleans Hoped Would Never Happen." I think that's a given, don't you? And to add to the fear, they've mentioned twice that this storm could turn New Orleans into a "toxic swamp of household cleaners, human excrement and floating coffins (from the above-ground cemetaries)." And the weatherman just said "catastrophic" five times in less than 30 seconds.

Maybe I'm just unable to wrap my brain around how bad this storm could be, but it seems like these guys are also enjoying themselves as they scare everyone to death.

Matt H.

« Reply #156 on: August 28, 2005, 08:18:30 PM »

Next came HBO's penultimate episode of ENTOURAGE. I have only recently gotten into the show (a bit too much of a frat/buddy show for my taste, I thought), but Jeremy Piven, who's Emmy nominated for his slick show biz agent Ari, had a pivotal moment in his career tonight, and he was superb. I found myself being drawn into the three stories that are ongoin on the series, though I'll admit I didn't find it all that funny.

Jason

« Reply #157 on: August 28, 2005, 08:18:47 PM »

Ooh...Sam Champion has a great new haircut and dye-job. He looks good!

Matt H.

« Reply #158 on: August 28, 2005, 08:24:34 PM »

Having survived Hurricane Hugo, I can tell you for a fact that they are scarier than you can imagine, especially if you live in a neighborhood filled with huge pines and towering water oaks. I never believed the hurricane would be able to come as far inland as Charlotte and still retain power, but I was dead wrong. I was very, very lucky I didn't sustain any damage to my home. Neighbors all around me had trees going through the roofs of two story houeses and crashing through the floor down to the ground of the first floor. Walking around the neighborhood the afternoon after the storm hit was exactly like you see in disaster movies with power lines down and trees blocking roads. Cars couldn't go more than a few feet before getting to something blocking the road, so everyone was either walking or riding bicycles where they could.

I agree that newscasters tend to get melodramatic with their reports, but believe me they are scary and hopefully their dire warnings will scare people into being smarter and more imaginative than I was in order to process what could happen.

Matt H.

« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2005, 08:26:10 PM »

So, it goes without saying that my thoughts and prayers are with those who are living through this ordeal.

Matt H.

« Reply #160 on: August 28, 2005, 08:28:31 PM »

I definitely did find Lisa Kudrow's THE COMEBACK, also on its next-to-last episode of the season, funny. And exhilarating, too, as she finally let her emotions win out and took some decisive action against someone who's been mistreating her shamefully. A memorable episode.

Jason

« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2005, 08:29:43 PM »

Having lived in Oklahoma City and Louisville, I know from tornados - not hurricanes - but I equate them to be on the same level. At least a tornado tends to be through in a few minutes. Hurricanes can last for hours, can't they?

Matt H.

« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2005, 08:30:18 PM »

I didn't get top any movies tonight since I had a full night of TV shows. I did finish listening to the KISMET soundtrack, thoroughly enjoying the excellent singers and production.

Matt H.

« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2005, 08:32:02 PM »

Having lived in Oklahoma City and Louisville, I know from tornados - not hurricanes - but I equate them to be on the same level. At least a tornado tends to be through in a few minutes. Hurricanes can last for hours, can't they?

Yes, Hugo lasted about two and a half to three hours. It started before sunrise that September morning, so a lot of the wind and crashing trees were happening while it was dark - one of the most frightening experiences I can ever remember.

Matt H.

« Reply #164 on: August 28, 2005, 08:35:53 PM »

And once it was over, many homes in the area were without power for two weeks. I very luckily lived on the same street as the elderly parents of Charlotte's then-mayor, and my street's power was restored after three days. We were out of school for 8 school days: the Friday the storm hit, the entire next week, and the Monday and Tuesday of the following week.

Jason

« Reply #165 on: August 28, 2005, 08:36:20 PM »

I remember nights when my dad would wake me up and we'd all go down to the basement with jugs of water and rolls of toilet paper, waiting for the tornados to hit. Thankfully, they never did, but there's nothing scarier than not knowing what's going to hit you in the night.  It's terrifying. I used to have nightmares when I lived in OKC because I was afraid I'd sleep through the warnings and not make it to shelter. At least witha hurricane, you have more than 10 or 15 minutes' notice, I guess. Tornados often take you by surprise.

On a lighter note, I just had a LOVERLY surprise - I just found a box of Girl's Scouts Thin Mint cookies in the freezer that I tucked away earlier in the spring. YEE and HAW!

Matt H.

« Reply #166 on: August 28, 2005, 08:38:23 PM »

Continued with WILL & GRACE DVDs before the TV shows started. I'm now on Disc 3 and saw the episode which featured the actor that Megan Mullally fell for and later married. He played a plumber that her character gets the hots for.

Matt H.

« Reply #167 on: August 28, 2005, 08:39:58 PM »

Oh, yes, you get plenty of notice with hurricanes IF you heed the warnings. As I said, I just never believed it could come inland with any real force to fear. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #168 on: August 28, 2005, 08:42:02 PM »

...I love act one of SUNDAY IN THE PARK. I could do without the second act.
Fascinating!  For me, it's almost the exact opposite: without the second act, I have no reason to care about the first act!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #169 on: August 28, 2005, 08:43:22 PM »

...And I even saw one of Donna Murphy's moles fall off during a matinee during previews!...
WHAT!!! They were Fake????

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jason

« Reply #170 on: August 28, 2005, 08:43:33 PM »

Oh, yes, you get plenty of notice with hurricanes IF you heed the warnings. As I said, I just never believed it could come inland with any real force to fear. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

With this one, they're predicting Katrina will hit CENTRAL Mississippi at a category 2 level. Wow! Don't most hurricanes hit land at that level??

Cillaliz

« Reply #171 on: August 28, 2005, 08:46:55 PM »

I remember nights when my dad would wake me up and we'd all go down to the basement with jugs of water and rolls of toilet paper, waiting for the tornados to hit. Thankfully, they never did, but there's nothing scarier than not knowing what's going to hit you in the night.  It's terrifying. I used to have nightmares when I lived in OKC because I was afraid I'd sleep through the warnings and not make it to shelter. At least witha hurricane, you have more than 10 or 15 minutes' notice, I guess. Tornados often take you by surprise.

I'm in Iowa. I was in a tornado that did a lot of damage when I was 7 years old and still remember it vividly.  My dad was outside watching and Mrs. Beasley and I (Yes I carried a Mrs. Beasley doll - I still have her actually, just quit carrying her around :) ) ran outside and saw one of the tornados turn into a water spout over the lake. I ran back in the house right away. It didn't hit our house, but it was extremely scary.

The thing you don't get in a tornado is the storm surge of water. They are talking waves of 20 feet or so hitting. That causes a ton of flooding and that's the fear in New Orleans. it's like a bowl and below sea level so there could potentially be 15 feet of water inside the flood walls with no power to pump the water back out.  

I agree the coverage is over the top. But better to scare people into leaving than to not say anything and have them stay and die.

BTW- NOAA Weather radios are great for storm warnings.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 08:47:46 PM by Cillaliz »

Jason

« Reply #172 on: August 28, 2005, 08:54:46 PM »

I'm in Iowa. I was in a tornado that did a lot of damage when I was 7 years old and still remember it vividly.  My dad was outside watching and Mrs. Beasley and I (Yes I carried a Mrs. Beasley doll - I still have her actually, just quit carrying her around :) ) ran outside and saw one of the tornados turn into a water spout over the lake. I ran back in the house right away. It didn't hit our house, but it was extremely scary.

The thing you don't get in a tornado is the storm surge of water. They are talking waves of 20 feet or so hitting. That causes a ton of flooding and that's the fear in New Orleans. it's like a bowl and below sea level so there could potentially be 15 feet of water inside the flood walls with no power to pump the water back out.  

I agree the coverage is over the top. But better to scare people into leaving than to not say anything and have them stay and die.

BTW- NOAA Weather radios are great for storm warnings.

Yes, the flooding is what they're most worried about, though it sounds like the winds will be enough to cause a great deal of destruction on their own.  I don't really know about these things - will the water eventually recede on its own? I know that's really kind of insiginificant once the damage is done, but...I guess what I'm asking in one of those "stupid actor" moments is, if New Orleans floods like they think it will, does that mean the end of New Orleans as we know it? Will it just become a swamp?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #173 on: August 28, 2005, 08:58:45 PM »

Whew!  Hurricanes a blowin'!!

Sending all my vibes and good thoughts that way.

It will certainly be a different New Orleans, DRJASON.  Destruction means re-building, and it's always different!

A couple of tornadoes lived through here....and storms are still frightening to me.   We are heading into the fall twister season now.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #174 on: August 28, 2005, 08:59:12 PM »

All this talk about match.com and all that....I just have one question.

What is a date?

Matt H.

« Reply #175 on: August 28, 2005, 09:00:20 PM »

Have no idea what will happen due to flooding, but wouldn't that be a catastrophe if New Orleans was destroyed! All that beautiful history and atmosphere potentially gone. Horrifying.

Cillaliz

« Reply #176 on: August 28, 2005, 09:01:00 PM »

Yes, the flooding is what they're most worried about, though it sounds like the winds will be enough to cause a great deal of destruction on their own.  I don't really know about these things - will the water eventually recede on its own? I know that's really kind of insiginificant once the damage is done, but...I guess what I'm asking in one of those "stupid actor" moments is, if New Orleans floods like they think it will, does that mean the end of New Orleans as we know it? Will it just become a swamp?

New Orleans is below sea level and has levees and flood gates to keep the water out. There are huge pumps to keep the water that does get in pumped out. (like gigantic sump pumps!)  If the water gets inside the levees and flood gates it will be literally like a bowl full of water, power can go out and the pumps will fail. This has been a doomsday type scenario talked about for years, but no one really thought it would happen.

They are thinking they could still pump out the water in a couple weeks, or something like that, but they don't know. So there may be 15 feet of water sitting in NOLA with no way out for awhile. Plus, all the oil, chemicals and bodies from the above ground cemetaries that may float out could make a total mess.  I'm sure they'd clean everything up, but it would cause major damage and take a long long time to get things even remotely back to normal. Not to mention what could happen with the wind damage.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #177 on: August 28, 2005, 09:01:30 PM »

Hopefully I know MOST of my lines.  I will review them all again tomorrow before rehearsal.....but NOW I will watch The Invincible Gladiator starring Mr Richard Harrison and sent to me for my birthday by a reader who need not be named.

DR ELMOORE thanks for the GOLDEN APPLE info.  Love to hear those stories....and DRJOSE thanks for the stage door story from PIAZZA last night.  It makes me feel connected to the REAL show business world.

Was that Kennedy Center Sondheim festival the one that Ilona Dulaski was in?  Her brother is in MY THREE ANGELS with me right now.  Small world, isn't it?  Small and funny and fine........................

Matt H.

« Reply #178 on: August 28, 2005, 09:01:31 PM »

All this talk about match.com and all that....I just have one question.

What is a date?

Thank you, DR JRand, for my best laugh of the day. What indeed! I haven't a clue.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: August 28, 2005, 09:02:00 PM »

The news cretins LIVE for this sort of thing.  They thrive on it - and the inherent drama is not nearly enough for these jerks - they have to make it BIGGER, and score it with dramatic music, and, of course, they LIE - they just out and out lie and say whatever they please, and then when they are proven wrong they never come back and say, "Oh, dear, we got that bit wrong, didn't we?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up