Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: LIKE A FAERIE PRINCESS ON SPEEDBALLS  (Read 10910 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:LIKE A FAERIE PRINCESS ON SPEEDBALLS
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2004, 10:37:15 AM »

Oh and I mentioned yesterday that all Krispy Kremes in Montreal are giving a dozen free donuts to everyone with a coupon (appearing in the paper every day this week).

Today I went to get mine.  There were maybe 50 others in line.  But it went fast. EVERYONE was using the coupon. :)

Hmm... All this talk about Krispy Kremes... I used to remember when the Krispy Kreme stores would give you a Baker's Dozen - throw in an extra donut - when you bought a box of the Hot Glazed Ones.  They don't do that anymore, I think.  Hmmm....
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2004, 10:42:31 AM »

DR Jennifer,
I just cannot figure out how each one will vote on BB5...no one ever seems to vote they way I expect them to...and it depends on what their own agenda is...do the vote for who they liked best, or who they honestly believe played the best.

As for TAR and the bowling moms, I think they have played very well...they all have made mistakes, but I believe for those two gals, who are certainly underdogs, to have gotten as far as they have, they must have played well.

I will be watching BB5, but of course will have to tape the two hour TAR...and watch it tomorrow. I will be the last to know the winnder  :-\

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2004, 10:45:39 AM »

And this tidbit from today's Washington Post's Backstage column... If you happen to be in the D.C. area...

The Kennedy Center's free Millennium Stage will show all six parts of the upcoming PBS series "Broadway: The American Musical" on a big screen Oct. 7-12, at 6 p.m. The series by Michael Kantor will air Oct. 19-21.

Is any place in New York City planning a "big screen" presentation?
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2004, 10:46:28 AM »

Nope, my screen says Like a Faerie Princess on Speedballs.  Clear your cache or refresh.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:LIKE A FURRY PRINCESS ON KRISPIE KREMES
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2004, 10:56:43 AM »

;D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 10:57:21 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2004, 11:03:12 AM »

I wanna do that too!

Jennifer

Re:LIKE A BIRTHDAY GIRL EATING KRISPY KREMES
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2004, 11:05:03 AM »

Yeah! :) ;) :D ;D :o 8)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2004, 11:06:00 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]¤ ~ ¤ ~ ¤ ~ ¤[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY DearReaderLaura!![/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]¤ ~ ¤ ~ ¤ ~ ¤[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:LIKE A HAIRY BEAR ON SPEED
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2004, 11:07:26 AM »

Mr. Wolpe will be leaving Little Shop soon (or the tour may end, I don't know) to come out to Papermill Playhouse where he will play the Baker in "The Baker's Wife". I don't really "know" Mr. Wolpe but our time at the University of Minnesota overlapped for a while. He was also in New York when I moved here. He played Ed Koch in the musical "How Am I Doin'?"

Lenny Wolpe was also Ed Koch in Charles Strouse's Mayor...unless "How Am I Doin'?" is an earlier title of Mayor.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2004, 11:09:03 AM »

How many Krispy Kremes are reasonable to eat in one day? :)

Ben

Re:LIKE A SLEEPY PROOFREADER OFF OF SPEEDBALLS
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2004, 11:11:36 AM »

George, you're right. It was too early for me  :P

The musical was called Mayor, not How Am I Doin? That was Koch's catch phrase when he was Mayor.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 11:15:47 AM by Ben »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2004, 11:49:00 AM »

Thank you, thank you all!!

I now have swell new binoculars, and I may just take them out on this unseasonably cool September day and try them out at the zoo.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2004, 12:26:49 PM »

Count mine as a vote against wind chimes.  No matter how you hang them, the wind will always manage to concentrate on the one chime note that is just that little bit "off" and get on your nerves.

I think a better idea is to hang a couple of banners or wind socks.  They're colorful, cheery, and much quieter.

Kitchen tables are a different matter altogether.  Der Brucer and I solved the problem in steps.  First, we had to decide how large a table we wanted.  We ended up mocking up the size with boxes, set in the middle of the kitchen floor.  This gave us an idea of how large we wanted the table, and also how easy it would be to walk around it.

The second decision was about how high I wanted the table.  I wanted one that I could work at comfortably while standing, and for me that meant a taller than usual table, by an extra couple of inches.  These two inches have been a real boon for me, and it turns out der B. likes the extra height, too.  (I can easily imagine someone short wanting a shorter table, for the same reasons.)

Third, shopping for stock tables simply was a waste of time, as far as we were concerned.  It made more sense to find a shop that dealt with factories directly, and order a custom table from them.  We were able to get a table top that matched our counters, was the exact size we wanted...and when the table came in the first time at the wrong height, the store owner took charge and handled the problem with the factory quickly.  We've been very satisfied with the results.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Emily

« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2004, 12:33:08 PM »

Happy Birthday DR LAURA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2004, 12:45:22 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, I'm awake, but I still have a twinge of a headache... Maybe I just need a walk to the House of Pies to cure me!

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2004, 12:50:57 PM »

OH!  I guess I can ask for the update here... To those who watch "The Young & The Restless" - Hey! Stop shaking your heads the rest of you! ;)...  How did the whole Cameron Kersten (sp?), Grace, Sharon and Nick story line wrap up?  I tuned in today, and was surprised to find it had apparently been wrapped up a couple of weeks ago.  -And not stretched out like they usually do.  Was there a plane involved?  And Sharon jumped out of it?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 12:51:50 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2004, 12:54:59 PM »

The other two teachers I wanted to mention are both very famous, so you'll find that much has been written about them by others.

John Ingle's boundless enthusiasm was a great inspiration to me, and I think a lot about what he taught now that I'm teaching musical theatre performance.  He had a moment before excercise in which you'd read a letter (of your own creation) to lead you in to your song - a spelling out of "the moment before" that still strikes me as brilliant.  When Ingle was my teacher, we all accepted that his early aspirations to be an actor himself had been thwarted.  So, for all of us, it's been a gleeful surprise that, after retiring from the school, he's worked very steadily as an actor ever since, mostly on soap operas.  His students included Nicholas Cage, Richard Dreyfuss, Albert Brooks, Larraine Newman, David Schwimmer and Rob Reiner.  And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Lehman Engel was not the jolly ol' soul Ingle was (are you getting this straight?  I was talking about Ingle, now I'm talking about Engel) and was often irrascible or mean.  Which is why I loved him.  As tough as he could be, commented on our neophyte musical theatre creations, I knew that the real world was probably a whole lot tougher.   This business of a pedagogy - that there's actually a "good way" to write a musical, and that it can be taught - didn't exist before Lehman.  And, while he's much criticized, it's not as if somebody's stated a better theory.  So, obviously, he was of paramount importance to my development.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2004, 01:09:25 PM »

OH!  I guess I can ask for the update here... To those who watch "The Young & The Restless" - Hey! Stop shaking your heads the rest of you! ;)...  How did the whole Cameron Kersten (sp?), Grace, Sharon and Nick story line wrap up?  I tuned in today, and was surprised to find it had apparently been wrapped up a couple of weeks ago.  -And not stretched out like they usually do.  Was there a plane involved?  And Sharon jumped out of it?

I forget when it ended, but it was more than a couple of weeks ago.  It really ended abruptly.

I have no idea where Grace is.  But they have not shown her in a while.

As for what happened.  Well Sharon agreed to go with Cameron on his jet and leave her family.  That was the agreement on how he was going to help her so she didn't go to jail.

On the plane Sharon left a code message for Nick, who raced to the airport and snuck on the plane.  While on the plane Nick punched on Cameron, put him in a parachute, and then shoved him (and then sharon and himself( out of the plane.

The funny part was they landed in this wheat field in the middle of nowhere.  They showed them all aimlessly wandering (with Cameron being pulled along with a limp leg).  Then next scene they have found there way to safety and are at a gas station.  A police car took Cameron away, and that is the last that we saw of him.

I think Nick taped cameron's confession on the plane. And grace had already confessed to the police.

Hope that helps.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2004, 01:09:36 PM »

Archie and I just returned from a short walk. It's a stunning day. Among the other walkers was a young father steering a stroller in one hand. In the other hand he held the leash of a pit bull. This breed may have its defenders, but I cannot understand why anyone would bring it into a family with a new baby.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 01:35:46 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2004, 01:13:54 PM »

I meant to say that the guy punched out the other guy.  But it sounds funny to read "he punched on him", so I left it. :)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2004, 01:22:18 PM »

Without Social Studies teacher Mrs. Bernstein I would be unaware to this day that the Holy Roman Empire was neither holy nor Roman nor an empire.

And without Algebra teacher Mrs. Libby I would never have learned that you are either pregnant or you are not.

Yes, but Mrs. Libby (Calculus for me...)....um....well.....she smelled.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2004, 01:25:14 PM »

It's a gorgeous day here in New York, too.  There's something about the light in autumn.  The sun shines in as if it's beautifully gelled, and,the first time you see it, you know fall is here.

Another sign of the season is the return of students to the Columbia campus.  One year, I noticed that summer was over when I saw an upper-classman leading a tour of incoming freshman.  As he turned the corner, he announced, showily, "And this... is Burger King."

It's no longer there, though.  Slated for demolition along with the West Side Market and Columbia Bagels (once rated one of the city's best).
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2004, 01:27:48 PM »

I forget when it ended, but it was more than a couple of weeks ago.  It really ended abruptly.

I have no idea where Grace is.  But they have not shown her in a while.

As for what happened.  Well Sharon agreed to go with Cameron on his jet and leave her family.  That was the agreement on how he was going to help her so she didn't go to jail.

On the plane Sharon left a code message for Nick, who raced to the airport and snuck on the plane.  While on the plane Nick punched on Cameron, put him in a parachute, and then shoved him (and then sharon and himself( out of the plane.

The funny part was they landed in this wheat field in the middle of nowhere.  They showed them all aimlessly wandering (with Cameron being pulled along with a limp leg).  Then next scene they have found there way to safety and are at a gas station.  A police car took Cameron away, and that is the last that we saw of him.

I think Nick taped cameron's confession on the plane. And grace had already confessed to the police.

Hope that helps.

HA!!!

I now have to wonder if Cameron will become the James Stenbeck equivalent for "Y&R".

*I also wonder if the "Y&R" was getting letters from fans about the whole story line.  Even for "Y&R" it was getting a little too TOO. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2004, 01:28:12 PM »

Btw, I am surprised you guys both like the bowling moms.  Maybe it's their underdog status.  

Yes, DR Jennifer, when you are a vertically-challenged, 15 lbs overweight, Jewish, gay man, you occasionally root for the underdog.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2004, 01:31:38 PM »

OK... Time for me to log off and attend to some "stuff"... And maybe get some PIE!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2004, 01:54:33 PM »

Happy Birthday, DR Laura!!!

Sorry to have been E&T today. One of my dearest friends is moving to Virginia next week, and today and tomorrow, I'm helping him load up one of those moving and storage pods, and it simply takes a lot of time. I'm totally exhausted even after a shower, and I have rehearsal tonight that I'm not really ready for due to complete exhaustion.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2004, 01:59:33 PM »

I was blessed with so many inspiring and dedicated teachers during my school years. I know it shows what an old fogey I am, but most of the teachers I had back then had been teaching forever, many were women who were unmarried and had made teaching children their whole lives. I really find it difficult to single one or two out because there must be about a dozen to whom I will always be indebted for a superb education and a work ethic that has certainly seen me through many tough, demanding years once I became a teacher myself.

And it was great once I started teaching back in the town where I was from that I got to work alongside many of the teachers who had been so important to me and I got to tell them so. I know when former students see me now and have kind words to say, it means a great deal, and I hope my words to them affected them similarly.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2004, 02:04:59 PM »

Okay let me just say this.  Last week's Nip/Tuck ending ... ewwwww!!!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2004, 02:33:35 PM »

At the end of third grade, I learned that my fourth grade teacher would be Emily Simon. Classmates extended their sympathy, since she didn't have the best press at PS 109.

It turned out Emily Simon was tough - but she was fair and smart, and a terrific teacher. And at the end of the year, when I was slated for fifth grade with the dreaded Miss Kenney, Miss Simon took me aside and extended her sympathy. This time, the new teacher would live up to her reputation.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 03:26:59 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2004, 03:11:01 PM »

Hello, Again!  (... Ah, a Hello, Again reference...)

I'm back from a short walk around the neighborhood, as well as a stop at the coffee shop and the taco stand.  Nothing like some caffeine and some carne asada to pick you up! ;)

Nothing else much to report... unfortunately...  But I did finally relent, and I took some aspirin for my headache.  It just doesn't seem to want to go away completely.

Ah, well...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up