Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: KRITZERLAND REBORN  (Read 14942 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: KRITZERLAND REBORN
« Reply #180 on: June 09, 2009, 06:48:41 PM »

I find it interesting that they chose to do Sit Down Your Rockin The Boat for the Tony Award 2009 as they did the same number for the last revival.

I was wondering why the chose that over some of the other numbers from the show.

That is basically what i meant. It's nothing against the guy who sang on the Tonys.

It's just that to me you want to show something that will get people wanting to see the show. I would have put something with the 4 leads.

I felt similarly about the number from SHREK. I would have rather seen a number with the leads. Although in certain situations i can see them doing a number to showcase someone who is nominated for a Tony. I just don't care for that SHREK number. And now i've seen it a few times!

I lvoed the SHREK number, but then I really like Christopher Sieber.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Laura

« Reply #181 on: June 09, 2009, 06:56:51 PM »

Chicken Failure may have been my best kitchen disaster.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #182 on: June 09, 2009, 06:57:27 PM »

I have watched a few of the show clips on youtube, and I have to say that none of them thrilled me.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: June 09, 2009, 07:03:49 PM »

Some cast albums cost that much, others less so - it depends on a lot of factors.  King and I was the most expensive thing Varese had or has done - $250,000 (with NO producer fee for me).  Some of the revivals are less because there is no re-use on the orchestrations, no copyist reuse either (if they've been recorded before that fee has been paid and is only payable one time) - so Dolly was a good 100K cheaper than King and I.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #184 on: June 09, 2009, 07:04:36 PM »

I also save quite a bit in post-production because, and I say this with no ego, I know what I'm doing.  I don't need two or three weeks to do a mix, I need four days, maybe five.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: June 09, 2009, 07:05:20 PM »

I'm on the couch like so much fish, watching a motion picture, and absolutely astonishing-looking Blu-Ray, maybe the best I've seen, certainly up there with the best I've seen.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #186 on: June 09, 2009, 07:10:13 PM »

I had the sliding glass door open this afternoon because Nicky likes to go sit out on the balcony on warm days.  Naturally, when I wasn't paying attention this huge yellow-jacket flew into the living room.  I couldn't get i=him to migrate back towards the slider, instead he decided he liked the screened window in the dining room.  After an hour of trying to get him away from there, I finally gave up and slid the window closed so that he is now trapped for the rest of his life, between the window and the screen.

I have named him Vanzetti.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #187 on: June 09, 2009, 07:10:44 PM »

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #188 on: June 09, 2009, 07:11:29 PM »

Good Evening!

Guess what?  I'm doing laundry.

Surprised?  I thought not.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #189 on: June 09, 2009, 07:20:25 PM »

BK

Does it really cost $400,000 to record a cast album.

How can one make there money??  If a cd cost $20  you need to 40,000 units just to break even.

When you did Hello Dolly or The King and I were the cost that much.

If you start with the actor's compensation which is usually equivalent to two weeks pay, for a cast of 25:

25 x $1558 (current AEA minimum) x 2 = $77,900
-And that does not take into account any special, negotiated salaries.

The musician's rate is almost the same.

Then factor in the studio rental, the fees for the recording personnel, post-production, packaging, marketing, etc., etc., etc.

It does add up after a while.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #190 on: June 09, 2009, 07:34:33 PM »

BK

Does it really cost $400,000 to record a cast album.

How can one make there money??  If a cd cost $20  you need to 40,000 units just to break even.

When you did Hello Dolly or The King and I were the cost that much.

DR Michael S - You may want to check out this article from 2002:

Hard Times for Cast Albums, to Broadway's Regret

And this one from 2006:

Grand Broadway Voices, Yours for a Song

And for a little bit more info on Sh-K-Boom's founder, Kurt Deutsch:

Cue Music: Sh-K-Boom's Deutsch Foresees Broadway's Digital Age
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #191 on: June 09, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »

... so Dolly was a good 100K cheaper than King and I.

And wasn't Carol worth every extra cent?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #192 on: June 09, 2009, 07:47:26 PM »

My worst kitchen disaster was a few years ago...we were having a spaghetti feed fund raiser here at work, and I volunteered to be one of the people to cook the actual spaghetti.  The way I was told to do it was the night before to cook the pasta with a touch of oil for a few minutes (I forget exactly how long...it was a specific length of time...keep it VERY al dente) and then to run cold water over it to stop the cooking and put the pasta in plastic bags in the fridge overnight.  The moisture would be absorbed into the spaghetti and all we would have to do the next day would be to plunge it into boiling water for a minute or two to heat it all up and it would be very quick. 

Well, for my first batch, I used my fairly new (and not too cheap) ceramic covered pot, but I put in way too much pasta for the size of pot that I had and I didn't stir it enough and I had the heat up too high.  The pasta at the bottom of the pot BURNED and stuck to the bottom of the pot AND the pot melted onto the stove element!!  I had to yank that pot off the element before it totally melted through.  It was late at night (as usual for me) and I was totally frazzled.  I thought that the non-burned pasta might be good, but it all tasted like crap.  Fortunately, I had another pot and too much pasta than what we really would need (being only one of several people making the pasta) that I was able to make the amount that I said that I could and the spaghetti feast fund raiser was a success.  I did have to through out the pot and a whole box of burned spaghetti, but I didn't have to get a new stove element. 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #193 on: June 09, 2009, 07:47:45 PM »

And now, it's time for rehearsal!

Until later!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #194 on: June 09, 2009, 08:11:58 PM »

DR George - The pot melted?!?!?!?  I didn't think that a ceramic pot could melt.  Or did you heat up enough that it was like putting it in a kiln? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: June 09, 2009, 08:18:44 PM »

Did the Safari update and so far see nothing different.  How do you get these whizbang new features?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: June 09, 2009, 08:19:24 PM »

The software update also included another nine items, including yet another version of iTunes, which seems to have a new version ever two weeks.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #197 on: June 09, 2009, 08:20:59 PM »

I am glad that I was able to get the 11 episodes of LOST watched that I scheduled to do for today. But even if I get 11 done tomorrow, I still won't be able to finish the set, so it's going to take me three days to get through this one. (There are hours of bonus features, too).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #198 on: June 09, 2009, 08:22:51 PM »

The software update also included another nine items, including yet another version of iTunes, which seems to have a new version ever two weeks.

Yep, there was a batch of iLife updates that came out last week.

As for Safari 4 - Do you see a grid in your Bookmarks bar?  If so, click it... ;)

And for more info, here's the link to Apple's website explaining the new features: http://www.apple.com/safari/
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #199 on: June 09, 2009, 08:23:13 PM »

I think my biggest kitchen disaster was probably the birthday cake I made for my best friend when i was in high school.  it was intended to be a surprise and I was going to make a layer cake for the first time.   I don't remember if the cake wasn't done in the middle or if it stuck to the pan, but it ended up being a big pile of crumbled up cake.  So I poured frosting over the top.  She laughed and laughed and laughed.  It didn't really look edible and I can't remember if we ate it or just went out and bought a new one

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #200 on: June 09, 2009, 08:23:20 PM »

Did the Safari update and so far see nothing different.  How do you get these whizbang new features?

Did you restart your computer?
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #201 on: June 09, 2009, 08:24:26 PM »

Can't say I'm surprised about the cast album situation. And I'm as much to blame for sliding popularity as anyone. I used to be in a fever to buy all of the latest cast albums. Now, there are quite a few I don't even bother to buy.

Matt H.

« Reply #202 on: June 09, 2009, 08:27:49 PM »

The LOST episodes contain sequences I don't remember at all (the business with Sawyer getting stabbed by Said), and yet other things like the John Locke flashback episode I remembered as clear as anything. I've just gotten to the episode where Claire is kidnapped. Very exciting. Locke and Boone have just stumbled on a hatch opening. I didn't remember that either.

Matt H.

« Reply #203 on: June 09, 2009, 08:29:04 PM »

Oh, and DR DAW, some of these commentaries are new. In the last one I listened to, the producers mentioned that they were recording it prior to the start of the show's last season, so this was just recently recorded.

Matt H.

« Reply #204 on: June 09, 2009, 08:31:17 PM »

The island vistas on the Blu-rays are so breathtaking that they're staggering to behold. The series, besides being exciting and mysterious and thrilling, is also such tremendous eye candy that it's pure pleasure - every single episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #205 on: June 09, 2009, 08:40:33 PM »

Well, I want to write just a bit more and then head downstairs so I can go to bed.

Good night!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #206 on: June 09, 2009, 08:45:28 PM »

I'm more than a little ticked right now.

The pasta machine we bought just a few weeks ago?  It's totally jammed, won't crank.

The good news is that I'd been planning to do papardelle tonight, which worked fine when I hand-rolled the pasta dough.  But that extra kneeding that the machine would have done on the dough was missing - der B was right when he commented about how chewy the papardelle was.  (He really liked the grape tomato/spring onion jam I'd done as the sauce, which helped.)

Kitchen disaster?  Not quite - but close.

No more fresh pasta until I can get a better machine.  Insert raspberry here.

And with that, I've a very early wake-up tomorrow, so I'd better follow Matt's example and get out of here.

Hasta!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #207 on: June 09, 2009, 08:48:46 PM »

DR SWW - What kind of machine did you get?
Make Your Own Luck.

Kerry

« Reply #208 on: June 09, 2009, 09:09:32 PM »

Pertinent to absolutely nothing, I counted 23 drops of rain on my windshield today-- a regular gully washer.
I like boat races.

Cillaliz

« Reply #209 on: June 09, 2009, 09:13:43 PM »

Pertinent to absolutely nothing, I counted 23 drops of rain on my windshield today-- a regular gully washer.

I always thought a 2 inch rain in Phoenix was when two rain drops fell two inches apart
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up