Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HIPPODROME? THE HIPPODROME  (Read 51722 times)

Cillaliz

Re:THE HIPPODROME? THE HIPPODROME
« Reply #330 on: March 18, 2007, 09:33:32 PM »

Here's Squeak. He's one of the cats I visited at my friend's house Friday

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #331 on: March 18, 2007, 09:33:44 PM »

Next, I watched SUPERNATURAL, a change of pace episode with one very great surprise.

In all honesty, it shouldn't have been such a surprise since the writers borrowed liberally from THE TWILIGHT ZONE episode "The Hitch-hiker," but it was still a very touching episode for a change instead of just ghouls and evil spirits.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #332 on: March 18, 2007, 09:34:32 PM »

This is a better photo of him, he is SOOO friendly

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #333 on: March 18, 2007, 09:34:58 PM »

Squeak is very handsome.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Cillaliz

« Reply #334 on: March 18, 2007, 09:35:10 PM »

This is his brother, Hafer

Matt H.

« Reply #335 on: March 18, 2007, 09:35:37 PM »

To take me up to the GREASE show, I continued rewatching ELIZABETH I - part I, the segments dealing with the end of her love affair with the DUke and her involvement in the Mary Queen of Scots business. I forgot that they had Elizabeth and Mary meeting in this version though there is no real record they ever did.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #336 on: March 18, 2007, 09:35:37 PM »

Looks like he lost a bit of his ear courting the ladies.

FJL

« Reply #337 on: March 18, 2007, 09:35:48 PM »

Cilla - We just got them in the market downstairs.  But it's from the Peanut Shop of Williamsburg.  The container mentions a website www.thepeanutshop.com

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #338 on: March 18, 2007, 09:36:01 PM »

Let's see, best singer -- Austin; best dancer - Austin, best actor - Austin; best-looking - Austin.

Choice for Danny -- Max?

Blech!

Well... I actually think that Max is the better actor.  Austin just always seems "on" to me.  Which gets weary after a while.  But, frankly, none of the finalists were my ideal Danny or Sandy.  It all sort of came down to who decided to show up at the open casting calls last year.  More power to Austin, Max, etc. for heading out in the cold that day.  But there are many more worthy candidates, "finalists" for the roles out there.  I guess it's their loss - and "America's" - for not lining up that day.  In any case...

Just remember, the show is Grease... Well, as Jim Jacobson informed us tonight, a new "evolved" Grease.  Whatever ends up on Broadway this summer will in no way resemble the original Broadway production.  That's the real shame of this whole competition/reality show.
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #339 on: March 18, 2007, 09:36:29 PM »

Hafer is handsome as well. I love the markings on his face.

Cillaliz

« Reply #340 on: March 18, 2007, 09:36:34 PM »

Squeak showed up on my friend Gretchen's doorstep one Christmas Eve. It was very cold out and he was just a kitten.  He had some frostbite, and that's what made his ear look funny
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 09:37:34 PM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #341 on: March 18, 2007, 09:37:10 PM »

Cilla - We just got them in the market downstairs.  But it's from the Peanut Shop of Williamsburg.  The container mentions a website www.thepeanutshop.com

Thanks, I'll check it out

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #342 on: March 18, 2007, 09:38:10 PM »

What a nice Christmas gift he turned out to be.

Cillaliz

« Reply #343 on: March 18, 2007, 09:40:25 PM »

DR Laura, Squeak got his name because that's the sound he made when he was little.  Just a little "eek" now and then. He doesn't talk much more than that now.  

Matt H.

« Reply #344 on: March 18, 2007, 09:41:08 PM »

Well, the producers of the television show and the judges basically handed Danny over to Max tonight, airing that featurette filled with bathos about his Bell's Palsy while he broke up pitiably on camera. Then, the three judges anointing him as their choice despite his very less than adequate solo singing.

I guess chemistry is in the eye of the beholder because I didn't see it with Max and either Laura or Ashley. I actually thought Austin and Ashley were the best couple of the night.

I have been a Laura fan from the get-go, but I felt nerves got the better of her tonight until her pairing with Austin. With him, her voice soared, so I was very surprised that they thought Laura and Max had the most chemistry. I actually thought Max was better with Ashley, too.

Had to be demoralizing for Austin who sang rings around Max (who has almost no sustain and talk-sings the lyrics too much), and who for me is just a sexier guy hands down.

How on earth are they going to fill an hour show next week with no competition on the agenda?

Cillaliz

« Reply #345 on: March 18, 2007, 09:43:34 PM »

OH these look interesting Wasabi and Honey

Matt H.

« Reply #346 on: March 18, 2007, 09:43:53 PM »

Just remember, the show is Grease... Well, as Jim Jacobson informed us tonight, a new "evolved" Grease.  Whatever ends up on Broadway this summer will in no way resemble the original Broadway production.  That's the real shame of this whole competition/reality show.

This is very true, but then, the revival of SWEENEY TODD we got last season wasn't like the original Broadway show either.

And while I didn't see the last revival of GREASE (the one with Ricky Paull Goldin), was it much like the original? I think we can blame the movie for this evolution.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #347 on: March 18, 2007, 09:45:36 PM »

Dean & DeLuca as well as Williams-Sonoma carries their own house brand of wasabi peanuts too.  *And, actually, I think they all come from the same processing plant that the Williamsburg ones do.

You may also want to check out the Virginia Diner.  Those Sussex County peanuts sure are delicious! *And the Virginia Diner makes a great pit stop on the trip down to Norfolk from Richmond if you choose to take the scenic route down Route 460.

I've also come across cans of "Hot & Sweet" peanuts - half wasabi peanuts, half honey roasted.  Quite an interesting combination - sorta works for me, sorta doesn't.  But, man, those wasabi peanuts can sure clear your sinuses if you don't take enough time between handfuls.  All that wasabi just starts to build up after a while!  Whew!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #348 on: March 18, 2007, 09:46:19 PM »

How on earth are they going to fill an hour show next week with no competition on the agenda?

More featurettes  :P ?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #349 on: March 18, 2007, 09:47:10 PM »

Yes, basketball overrun casued the delay of the new CBS shows, so at 9, I watched the next-to-last ROME. Oh, my! Pullo learning the truth about the death of his wife and child, Antony manipulated by CLeopatra into making a bone-headed decision that will cost him dearly. I'm going to miss this show.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #350 on: March 18, 2007, 09:47:22 PM »

OH these look interesting Wasabi and Honey

THOSE are the ones I was thinking about!

-Oohh... that's kind of spooky.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #351 on: March 18, 2007, 09:48:11 PM »

More featurettes  :P ?

Ugh! I have watched every episode of this show. I may actually record it and just speed to the end to the announcements next week.

Ginny

« Reply #352 on: March 18, 2007, 09:48:30 PM »

DR Jose - did you mention something the other evening about a relative having a Filipino restaurant in Arlington, VA?  DH Richard and I will be staying in the Crystal City area in June and I wondered if we'd be near it?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #353 on: March 18, 2007, 09:49:32 PM »

So, I sped past THE AMAZING RACE on the DVR and watched COLD CASE, a sad story of a mother and two daughters forced to live in their car for an extended period. Nice little mystery. I didn't guess the identity of the murderer.

Cillaliz

« Reply #354 on: March 18, 2007, 09:50:36 PM »

Dean & DeLuca as well as Williams-Sonoma carries their own house brand of wasabi peanuts too.  *And, actually, I think they all come from the same processing plant that the Williamsburg ones do.

You may also want to check out the Virginia Diner.  Those Sussex County peanuts sure are delicious! *And the Virginia Diner makes a great pit stop on the trip down to Norfolk from Richmond if you choose to take the scenic route down Route 460.

I've also come across cans of "Hot & Sweet" peanuts - half wasabi peanuts, half honey roasted.  Quite an interesting combination - sorta works for me, sorta doesn't.  But, man, those wasabi peanuts can sure clear your sinuses if you don't take enough time between handfuls.  All that wasabi just starts to build up after a while!  Whew!

I didn't eat a lot of them at Fred and Skip's place, but I did enjoy them and thought they would be fun for parties.  I haven't seen them around here, but there may be somewhere with it.  I'll check out the Virginia Diner site

Cillaliz

« Reply #355 on: March 18, 2007, 09:52:48 PM »

I liked TAR tonight.  It was another case of you must pick the right task.  I think it's more interesting with a more even field of competitors. You really don't know who is going to win now

Cillaliz

« Reply #356 on: March 18, 2007, 09:57:13 PM »

This one from the Virginia Diner is cheaper it has wasabi, sweet and tangy and chili

FJL

« Reply #357 on: March 18, 2007, 09:59:13 PM »

We don't serve the cheap stuff when you come over, Cilla.  We're not chicy bassas.  :)

FJL

« Reply #358 on: March 18, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »

Spoo, I meant chincy bassas.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #359 on: March 18, 2007, 10:02:04 PM »

This is very true, but then, the revival of SWEENEY TODD we got last season wasn't like the original Broadway show either.

And while I didn't see the last revival of GREASE (the one with Ricky Paull Goldin), was it much like the original? I think we can blame the movie for this evolution.

Well, last year's revival of Sweeney Todd was a total reinvention of the piece.  Some people liked it.  Some people loathed.  -I liked it.

As for the last revival of Grease... The production was sooooo geared toward Rizzo - and the stunt-casting of said role, starting off with Rosie O'Donnell - that it seemed like Danny and Sandy were afterthoughts.  That is until those roles started to be stunt cast too.  And that revival actually wanted to be more like the movie, since there was a movie-based production of Grease running in London at the time, and they wanted to bring it over.  But due to difficulties in securing the rights for the movie songs for a Broadway production, the producers had to go back to the original...with a few interpolations - most notably "Since I Fell For You" for Sandy. (That called belted high E's, F's and G's!!!!!)

As for the "new" Grease...  Yes, the movie is to blame.  But I also treat the movie as a different animal.  More or less.

I just have to wonder about Jim Jacobson's role in all of this - and his credibility.  The movie is most definitely not "his" Grease - that was Allan Carr and Bronte Woodard who's credited with the screenplay.  Jim Jacobson seems to have "claimed" the movie as his own.  And it just simply wasn't.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up