Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BALL PEEN HAMMER  (Read 35614 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE BALL PEEN HAMMER
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2007, 10:35:40 AM »

Congrats on your milestone, Woody
Thank-you, FJL.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2007, 10:36:37 AM »

Page Four Thank-You Dance!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2007, 10:37:42 AM »

Congrats to Woody's 10000th Post! :D
My 10000th post thanks you, George!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2007, 10:39:10 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Greetings from the 17th Floor of 520 Broadway, a.k.a. Ripley-Grier Studios.

So far, so good.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2007, 10:39:45 AM »

Milestones! Milestones! Milestones!

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2007, 10:44:55 AM »

MILESTONE CONGRATS to both DRs WOODY and TCB!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2007, 10:51:22 AM »

Back from all my little errands, so now it's just packing and that's that.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2007, 10:51:40 AM »

Jason, I'll drop our casting guy a line right now.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2007, 10:55:41 AM »

Thank you, Jose.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2007, 10:56:31 AM »

Thank you, Jeanne.

(Two posts for the price of one!)
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2007, 10:58:04 AM »

I am hereby declaring August as Rude Customer Month.

It happens every August - the percentage of rude customers goes up, and the ones who are rude are particularly so, more than before.

Yesterday, for example, a customer from Pennsylvania insisted that I honor a coupon from her state.  I checked with the floor manager, who told me that the coupon was not valid here in Delaware - Pennsylvania is a completely separate division of the company, we do not honor their Bonus Cards and they do not honor ours (we substitute the customer's phone number to give them our bonuses on sales), and the same goes for coupons.  

Nope, the customer insisted on trying to make me feel guilty about rejecting the coupon.  "But it says 'Giant' on your nametag," she pouted pointedly.  Yeah, sure, we get the name tags from a common supplier.  A lot of our store-brand products come from common suppliers, too, and are labeled 'Giant'.  Giant and Super-G are owned by the same company.  That doesn't make us the same company.  "Well, the coupon doesn't say 'not valid outside of Pennsylvania.'  It should say 'not valid outside of Pennsylvania' if it isn't valid in Pennsylvania."  Look, lady, do I look like I'm responsible for what is or is not printed on the coupon?

Truth be told, I didn't say any of these smart-ass comments to the customer, but I sure wanted to.

OK, she wasn't really rude, but she sure was trying to make me feel small.  I'm six foot two - small isn't part of my personality profile.

Then, today, there was the customer whose son was pestering her to buy him a kind of candy that she didn't want to buy.  She kept telling him to put it back.  Finally, the brat took the cap off of the package.  At this point, I spoke up: "Excuse me, could you put the cap back on the candy, please?" I bassoed.  (My basso has a profound effect on misbehaving youngsters, I've found.)

What was Mommy's response?  I was, essentially, backing her up.  Was she grateful?  Of course not.  Being unable to control her brat, she got snippy with me.  She grabbed the bags I had filled with her groceries out of my hands, bitched at how I was doing my job, and basically tried to make me feel inadequate.  Didn't work.

Maybe that doesn't count as rude, either.  Or does it?  When a customer tries to make a clerk feel small, tries to pull a power-play on the clerk, that's rude.

It's going to be a long month.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2007, 10:58:57 AM »

Milestones! Milestones! Milestones!

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats!
Thank-you!  Thank-you!  Thank-you!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2007, 10:59:32 AM »

MILESTONE CONGRATS to both DRs WOODY and TCB!
Thank-you, DR Jeanne!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2007, 11:37:59 AM »

Good morning from a hot and steamy New York. Even though it's hot and steamy I am defrosting the freezer. If I could have one new appliance in the kitchen it would be a frost-free refrigerator.

When Noel posted about his auditions for Such Good Friends I showed it to Anthony. He had auditioned on that day and wanted to say something to Noel. They have never met but Anthony wanted to express his appreciation to Noel for that post so I'm posting this for him (I know, I know, Anthony could post it on his own but he, like many other coupled-up posters, DerBrucer and Woody being the exception, doesn't post, not just here but anywhere). Here is Ant's response to Noel's post:

Greetings Noel!

Ben pointed out your caring, heartfelt post from two weeks ago concerning the process surrounding the NYMF auditions for your show. I have to say, I was more than moved by your concerns, and frustration with the casting process. Such as the mass of performers you need to see, wishing you had parts for everyone, and the greater amount of actors you can’t possibly have time to see at one call. And, this is a situation I now understand a bit clearer, the problem that even with all the talent putting on their best at the EPAs, those auditioning may not be the right people to play the roles!

Your thoughts were insightful and I was glad to have a point of view from the other side of the table.

Without any pressing I honestly share that regardless of casting out come I was truly happy to audition in that room with such a crowd! Aside from remarking that the table arrangement stretching in a line across the room with all of you seated behind it reminded me of the Last Supper - Was I the only one who got that image? - I saw it as a chance for a mini-cabaret performance. (I played the Ukulele and sang the 1920s song.) I was hoping in my two minute audition time slot that the good time I was having would be had by all. I think I reached my goal.

I feel so lucky to be able to audition, I enjoy it. (Then again I also enjoy jury duty, and going to the dentist.) One of the things that keeps me sane during the audition process, and from pulling out the remainder of my hair, I think, is the thought that there are roles out there for me, and if I just keep trying I’m sure to “meet one of them.”

Wishing you the very best with the production!
Cheers & a little soft-shoe,
Anthony Morelli

P.S. From the casting breakdown for “Such good friends” the bit of descriptive information I didn’t get was that the characters were wasps? For this I must chastise you. YES, you should write about the characters that come naturally, but it would be swell if you could include a few “short, ethnic, smart-alecks” in future!  :D

That's it. Back to the fridge.

Thank you for posting this; truly warmed my heart to read.  My notes from July 20 say "very funny."

Such Good Friends is about a self-described "bunch of old Jews" and it pleased me to find three guys from the EPAs called in for a second look; the younger characters can't be ethnic if the show's going to accurately depict the television industry in the early 1950s; so, I was placed in the unusual position of rejecting the guy who gave the best audition, all because he looked a little too much like I looked at his age.  Probably, none of this will make any sense until you see the show, and I'm being extra careful about spoilers.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 02:45:08 PM by bk »
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2007, 11:43:42 AM »

I spy the elusive DR FiFiLePew.

Come out, come out, wherever you are.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2007, 11:44:30 AM »

Perhaps FiFi wishes to made a GRAND entrance.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2007, 11:47:06 AM »

We welcome all sorts here, FiFi. Don't be shy.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2007, 11:48:19 AM »

Tell us something about yourself, FiFi.

We won't tell. Promise.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2007, 11:49:14 AM »

Anone know anything about new Dear Reader FiFiLePew?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2007, 11:50:52 AM »

Ooops. I must have scared FiFi away.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2007, 11:51:56 AM »

Oh, well.

TTFN.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2007, 11:56:52 AM »

Noel I'm listening to your interview & enjoying it very much.

Jane

« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2007, 12:00:12 PM »

From Tomovoz
Hope you're feeling better soon DR Jane. Don't forget to concentrate on the two main food groups - ice-cream and chocolate.  

I’m working on it, mocha ice cream with chocolate pieces.  ;D  

Dakota & Matt H, thanks for the extra wishes.

Jane

« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2007, 12:05:22 PM »

Danise-It’s good to know you are getting out & having fun too.  As difficult as it can be for you at times, I also read joy in your posts as I did in your voice the other day. :)

George-DR George, pretty box lunch, thanks for the photo.

Matt H-What is the name of the sci-fi anthology series?

Ben thank you for sharing Ant's letter to Noel, I enjoyed reading it.  Say hi to Ant for me.  Has he created any new doll houses lately?

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2007, 12:08:35 PM »

Well, we had a meeting with our future tenant and so far so good. I've never done anything like this before so it feels a little weird, but it's a very generous offer we're making to her and I think she will be good to the house.

The cats already know something's up and they are acting worried. Based on their past history, I think they figure we're getting ready to go on a long trip. Lots of shuffling of clothes, etc. They are sitting in all the open drawers and boxes as if to say "don't forget about ME!"
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2007, 12:09:50 PM »

Great to see DR Danise! Continued job security vibes to you, and I hope that the machine does the trick. The guy we bought our house from had one, too, and swore by it. (Better than swearing AT it!)

And if you run out of things to paint...ahem...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2007, 12:10:37 PM »

Ant writes the most wonderful letters!

I enjoyed reading his letter to Noel very much!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 12:11:28 PM by Edisaurus »

Edisaurus

« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2007, 12:14:36 PM »

Congratulations to SWW on your very signifigant millstone!

Since you like to garden:

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2007, 12:17:27 PM »

Jane - Glad you are feeling better.  Ice cream cures all.

edi - My cats go thru the same thing whenever they see a suitcase.
“One thing’s universal,

Edisaurus

« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2007, 12:17:48 PM »

And another big millstone for DR TCB!

(in case you need to crush some olives...)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up